Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Then penalty is surprisingly small, it's just a couple percent calculated as interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Renegret posted:

Hey the bible tells me that pulling out is effective contraception.

Check and mate, atheists :smug:

It is.

http://phys.org/news164380393.html

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

canyoneer posted:

My employer used to pay bonuses quarterly, twice a year, and annually. So you sometimes would get two or three of those bonuses to stack on the same pay cycle. Because of the way tax withholdings are calculated in payroll software, bonuses and windfalls are often have higher withholding rates compared to regular paychecks. This means that you'll get it all back at tax refund time anyway.

It's the same way where I work and I just can't convince my coworkers that this is the case and not OBAMA TAXES OUR THEFT :argh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I used to work with a bunch of guys who all had a different idea of what the overtime "Sweet spot" was. The sweet spot being that moment where working more OT ends up costing you money in taxes.

:suicide:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

FYI for the "ugh! Why you have children! You bad with money!" crowd: sometimes even the best birth control can fail. Even IUDs have a 0.4% failure rate. Speaking from experience :( Good odds, but some of us will be those 6 of 1000 couples.

I guess I should get some lotto tickets now?

Although this only explains one or two kids. After that you might want to double check your methods...

One kid maybe. But two?

6 in 1,000 chance for it to fail for the first kid.

36 in 1,000,000 chance for it to fail a second time.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

I used to work with a bunch of guys who all had a different idea of what the overtime "Sweet spot" was. The sweet spot being that moment where working more OT ends up costing you money in taxes.

So what did they say when you pointed out the flaw in their reasoning?

enraged_camel posted:

6 in 1,000 chance for it to fail for the first kid.

36 in 1,000,000 chance for it to fail a second time.
After it fails the first time, it's 6 in 1,000 for it to fail a second time.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Old Fart posted:

After it fails the first time, it's 6 in 1,000 for it to fail a second time.

Yes, but 36 in 1,000,000 for it to fail for both first and second kid.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

enraged_camel posted:

Yes, but 36 in 1,000,000 for it to fail for both first and second kid.

But what if failure is not evenly spread across the population? Then the occurrence of a second failure is much more likely after the first time proved that this couple will have kids no matter what.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Keetron posted:

But what if failure is not evenly spread across the population? Then the occurrence of a second failure is much more likely after the first time proved that this couple will have kids no matter what.

I think the number is more about the odds of accidentally having a child even with proper usage of birth control. 36 in 1,000,000 is the number you would expect if people *don't* gently caress it up.

Or do you mean some people might have sex in a way that has a higher chance of birth control failing or something? Like rough condom-tearing sex?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The idea being that if an IUD-the specific method with the cited failure rate-already demonstrated failure in a particular patient, then the rate of recurrence for that patient would be higher for her than for the general population.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you know an IUD failed once and you got pregnant and had a super-high-risk scary pregnancy, then after that was over, why would you be like "hot drat, IUD again please"?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Anne Whateley posted:

If you know an IUD failed once and you got pregnant and had a super-high-risk scary pregnancy, then after that was over, why would you be like "hot drat, IUD again please"?

Because the phrase "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Is no longer acceptable in society.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I added the "or two kids" part because I was feeling generous. I hearby revise it to "one kid."

Fun fact: vasectomies and IUDs have a similar failure rate (a little higher for vasectomy, actually).

I am leaning that way, cause lightning never strikes twice, right? RIGHT?! :ohdear:

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Thesaurus posted:

I am leaning that way, cause lightning never strikes twice, right? RIGHT?! :ohdear:
Tell that to this guy here...

He didn't even die from the lightning strikes.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Here is a story of people bad with money:

Once upon a time, my parents were connected to the government-run telephone service. Back then, it was a requirement that customers rent a phone from the company for each line they had. Everyone run their own extra jacks, but you'd have to have one or two on the official books.

I don't know exactly when that requirement was discontinued, but it was probably around the same time as de-regulation, which happened sometime in the mid 90's.

Apparently, my parents didn't look into or do anything about that; their phones worked fine so why not? But it turns out they were still getting charged the rental fee for those two handsets that the phone company owns to the tune of $7.05 each month for the pair over nearly 20 years. That's almost $1700 my parents have paid to rent telephones.

Needless to say when I saw that on one of their bills, I ripped those phones from the wall and bought replacements that cost less than one year's rental fees would have been.

And now a puzzling financial decision:

A former co-worker (since retired) once called up the bank and told them to foreclose on his house.

In the mid 90's he left Canada to work in Arizona for a while, then moved back. While he was there, he bought a house. When that job there ended, he moved back here to retire but kept making payments on the Phoenix property for a while after returning.

At least he did for a while. He never used the place, nobody was renting it, and with housing prices tanking he just decided to stop paying the mortgage. He owns a house here, credit issues don't cross the border and with property taxes, he figures he came out way ahead.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I was pretty much doing the same thing for my cable modem up to a month or two ago. I was paying $8 a month to lease it and they cost like $50.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah cable modem rental fees are a huuuuge scam. Comcast charges $7-8 per month for a rental modem that you can buy on Amazon for $50-80. The modem I bought years ago has paid for itself at least 10 times over now.

Paying equipment rental fees is bad with money.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Guinness posted:

Yeah cable modem rental fees are a huuuuge scam. Comcast charges $7-8 per month for a rental modem that you can buy on Amazon for $50-80. The modem I bought years ago has paid for itself like 25 times over now.

Paying equipment rental fees is bad with money.

Last time I checked (like 1.5 years ago), Comcast renames the rental fee to a 'self-supplied equipment fee' if you don't use their modem. They get the fee whether you use their modem or not. I'd rather use my own modem anyway, but the expense is the same.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nope, I don't pay anything for using my own modem with Comcast. I've been doing it for 4-5 years and there is no charge for it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What state are you in? There was no way not to pay that fee for me in Indianapolis.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

WA. I even just checked my most recent bill online again. No additional charges or fees.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
They try and pull the same thing if you install your equipment yourself. Gotta love them trying to sneak on a $100+ "Self Installation Fee". I told them to credit my account or come pick up their equipment, whichever was more convenient for them. It's hard if you don't have any viable alternatives though.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Sundae posted:

Last time I checked (like 1.5 years ago), Comcast renames the rental fee to a 'self-supplied equipment fee' if you don't use their modem. They get the fee whether you use their modem or not. I'd rather use my own modem anyway, but the expense is the same.

I don't pay anything to use my own modem.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Literally the only way to get a good price on cable internet now is to sign up, then call in to say you're going to cancel so they give you a normal price - but cable companies are trying to get around that now by doing long-term contracts.

Eventually cable as we know it will die a horrible, gasping death; but unfortunately it's being kept artificially alive at the moment mostly by completely unrealistic sports contracts.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This line of conversation is amusing because I work for an ISP and we just had our second quarter press release a few hours ago. One of the numbers on there is "Revenue Per Customer".

As an employee, it's good to see such a high number. My company is doing well and it's only natural to want your company to make lots of money. It's job security, after all.

Then in a moment of sheer stupidity, I thought of that number as a human being, as if I was a paying subscriber, and holy poo poo someone help me I think my heart stopped.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Renegret posted:

This line of conversation is amusing because I work for an ISP and we just had our second quarter press release a few hours ago. One of the numbers on there is "Revenue Per Customer".

As an employee, it's good to see such a high number. My company is doing well and it's only natural to want your company to make lots of money. It's job security, after all.

Then in a moment of sheer stupidity, I thought of that number as a human being, as if I was a paying subscriber, and holy poo poo someone help me I think my heart stopped.

What's better is when you work for a company that releases numbers like that or even discusses profitability going up. While simultaneously telling it's employees that there was "no money for raises or bonuses this year". So glad I got out of there.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I work in higher ed and the school pulled all of those awful anti-employee tricks during our last hostile round of contract negotiations.

The 3rd party mediators that were brought in were utterly confused how they could be crying poor, citing the recession, etc while investing billions in capital infrastructure.

America has just become a very anti labor place, it's very disheartening as someone who has 20+ years left in the workforce.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Can somebody link to that guy who bought a house and his inspector didn't catch the $250,000 worth of horrible renovations and repairs?

e: The one that this post is referring to. I feel like an idiot but I can't find it. :downs:

Jastiger posted:

Whoa with that house in Minnesota that was a lemon and stuff..I notice that he keeps having inspectors come out and check his work and OK it with the city.

Why didn't that have to be done before the property was sold, by law?

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 6, 2014

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

Antifreeze Head posted:

Here is a story of people bad with money:

Once upon a time, my parents were connected to the government-run telephone service. Back then, it was a requirement that customers rent a phone from the company for each line they had. Everyone run their own extra jacks, but you'd have to have one or two on the official books.

I don't know exactly when that requirement was discontinued, but it was probably around the same time as de-regulation, which happened sometime in the mid 90's.

Apparently, my parents didn't look into or do anything about that; their phones worked fine so why not? But it turns out they were still getting charged the rental fee for those two handsets that the phone company owns to the tune of $7.05 each month for the pair over nearly 20 years. That's almost $1700 my parents have paid to rent telephones.

Needless to say when I saw that on one of their bills, I ripped those phones from the wall and bought replacements that cost less than one year's rental fees would have been.

When taking care of my relative's estate this summer, we found he was still renting his phone from the company. I think it was only like 50 cents a month, though.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pig slut lisa posted:

Can somebody link to that guy who bought a house and his inspector didn't catch the $250,000 worth of horrible renovations and repairs?

e: The one that this post is referring to. I feel like an idiot but I can't find it. :downs:

http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/#sthash.SddTdye7.FJLVKAmT.dpbs

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Appreciate it! :tipshat:

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

xie posted:

I work in higher ed and the school pulled all of those awful anti-employee tricks during our last hostile round of contract negotiations.

The 3rd party mediators that were brought in were utterly confused how they could be crying poor, citing the recession, etc while investing billions in capital infrastructure.

America has just become a very anti labor place, it's very disheartening as someone who has 20+ years left in the workforce.

The corporate anti-union thing has really, really taken hold.

Canada as well.

I was getting an ECG done the other day. The technician doing it asked me what I wanted to do after I finished law school, and I told her that I wanted to go into union-side labour law.

She starts ranting about how unions never did anything and always destroy corporations, forcing them to close or move (there's been a bunch of companies here that cried poor when the union wouldn't take a 50% pay cut, and then pulled up stakes and hosed off to some right to work shithole in the south).

I pointed out that this was a corporate thing, attempting to cry poor while saving profits, and that we have weekends and 8 hour workdays because union men and women died for them.

Her response: "oh, I have those things and I'm not in a union".

I had no idea what to respond to that. I just suggested she focus on what she was doing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I've met plenty of unionized people who'd bitch about their union dues, then turn around and bitch that the new contract was poo poo, and that was the union's fault.

For some reason, they also thought the contract would have been better if the union hadn't been involved :psyduck:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Sundae posted:

This was wrong 1.5yrs ago and is wrong today. It was also wrong 3 and 5 years ago.

Bugamol posted:

They try and pull the same thing if you install your equipment yourself. Gotta love them trying to sneak on a $100+ "Self Installation Fee". I told them to credit my account or come pick up their equipment, whichever was more convenient for them. It's hard if you don't have any viable alternatives though.
You can contact them and they'll waive the fee. Took <5min of chat while I was reading SA the morning I setup my current account.

FrozenVent posted:

I've met plenty of unionized people who'd bitch about their union dues, then turn around and bitch that the new contract was poo poo, and that was the union's fault.

For some reason, they also thought the contract would have been better if the union hadn't been involved :psyduck:
They probably read center-to-right-wing news...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

They probably read

Let me stop you right there...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

FrozenVent posted:

Let me stop you right there...
Hahaha. Fair enough!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
e: You know what, nevermind. I thought this was a different thread and the last thing I want to do is turn this thread into a union "discussion".

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 6, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

FrozenVent posted:

While obviously it gets misinterpreted, overtime does end up getting taxed at the earner's top marginal rate. So as you work more overtime, your hourly compensation goes down due to taxation. Of course, it will never go negative, which is what some people think. "I got kicked into a higher tax bracket! :bahgawd:

But when you get paid time and a half for overtime, your take home pay won't always be 150% of your normal wage. This is even more important to keep in mind when you get paid straight-time overtime. In that case you can easily end up with less pay per hour worked.

So there is a grain of truth to the idea of an OT "sweet spot".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

While obviously it gets misinterpreted, overtime does end up getting taxed at the earner's top marginal rate. So as you work more overtime, your hourly compensation goes down due to taxation. Of course, it will never go negative, which is what some people think. "I got kicked into a higher tax bracket! :bahgawd:

But when you get paid time and a half for overtime, your take home pay won't always be 150% of your normal wage. This is even more important to keep in mind when you get paid straight-time overtime. In that case you can easily end up with less pay per hour worked.

So there is a grain of truth to the idea of an OT "sweet spot".

We all got withheld at (Current paycheck) * 24, but only worked, at most, 15 pay periods. While your check wouldn't go up as fast after about 40 hours of OT...

Goddamn I miss those 10k tax returns though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Goddamn I miss those 10k tax returns though.

Then have I got a deal for you! Mail me $833.33 every month, and I'll send you $10k every year.

• Locked thread