Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Swan Oat posted:

I would like to use this post to wish President Barack Hussein Obama a very happy birthday.

53 years ago today....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
MUSLIM

AS ALL HELL

SURE HE'S A MUSLIM?

OH, YEAH

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

comes along bort posted:

MUSLIM

AS ALL HELL

SURE HE'S A MUSLIM?

OH, YEAH

Superallah, motherfucker.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah it's Brazilian Portuguese so that's good. I guess my question would have been more along the lines of "is this blatantly wrong and I'm just too ignorant to know it." The Spanish one is pretty good, I use it because I don't get to speak Spanish much in my day to day life anymore and I would like to practice some.

I just did the testing out thing and it looks okay to me, although obviously the spoken parts are pretty bad. But that's just a consequence of it being a robot, I guess. PM me if you have any questions, gosto muito de ensinar!

edit: actually I did notice one thing that's not necessarily wrong, but kind of bothers me. They tend to leave off the definite article when using possessives (the robot said "Eu como com minha tia" instead of "Eu como com a minha tia"), but I'm more used to the other way around. Not a big deal though.

edit edit: and this one is a big deal: they always seem to use "nós" (we) and the -amos/-emos form rather than "a gente" and the third-person form ("Nós ficamos" vs. "A gente fica"). "Nós" is much more formal, so look out for that.

a further edit: affirmative responses to questions are usually phrased as "[conj. verb], sim." For instance, "Você tem um bebê?" "Tenho, sim." The website seems to just do "Sim, tenho um bebê."

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 5, 2014

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Just got back from an annual camping trip with a big bunch of people. There's this guy I always look forward to talking to because he's knee-deep in a new, bizarre belief system every time I see him. He has previously held strong beliefs in the Illuminati lizard people, the healing prowess of colloidal silver, and the interference of UFOs in world politics. This year, he's staked out territory in yet another corner of the rich conspiracy tapestry - he is a Free Man on the land, having never signed a contractual agreement to associate with the Canadian government, and he will never ever have to pay taxes again.

I'm hardly the first person here to point this out, but it's amazing how some people can just jump from one conspiracy to another, equally bizarre conspiracy like it's nothing. The lizard man conspiracy and the Free Man conspiracy have almost nothing in common on the surface, but there's so much overlap between them! I guess anything's believable once you've bought into lizard people.

This guy might be an exceptional case because he's stable in pretty much every other part of his life. A good friend, a great dad, and a successful businessman. But get him talking about anything remotely political and it's a torrent of absurd bullshit.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If the Canadian government is run by lizard people, would a contract even be binding?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh, and on the subject of Obama's birthday, apparently Nancy Pelosi is a racist.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Swan Oat posted:

I would like to use this post to wish President Barack Hussein Obama a very happy birthday.

Shut up. Shut up. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPP!

If you shut up I'll give you twenty bucks oh poo poo no you'll call me forever augh!

(How many of those drat emails y'all get?)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Joementum posted:

Oh, and on the subject of Obama's birthday, apparently Nancy Pelosi is a racist.

Maybe she just knows him well enough to know he really likes dark chocolate? I'm kinda hoping that's it and not the racist thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

cafel posted:

Maybe she just knows him well enough to know he really likes dark chocolate?

Yes, that is actually it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Shut up. Shut up. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPP!

If you shut up I'll give you twenty bucks oh poo poo no you'll call me forever augh!

(How many of those drat emails y'all get?)

I got four asking me to sign the drat birthday card and two about the thing and I'm sure there were like three others tangentially related.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

On the one hand, very likely. On the other hand, mmm, dark chocolate cake...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Huge Liability posted:

This guy might be an exceptional case because he's stable in pretty much every other part of his life. A good friend, a great dad, and a successful businessman. But get him talking about anything remotely political and it's a torrent of absurd bullshit.

This won't last if he gets nailed for tax fraud / evasion

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

comes along bort posted:

MUSLIM

AS ALL HELL

SURE HE'S A MUSLIM?

OH, YEAH

It's been so long and I still can't not laugh when I see this

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

SedanChair posted:

I still think 12 Years a Slave is a joke movie and was greenlighted for white liberal catharsis

Nah, the "white liberal guilt" movie of last year was Dallas Buyers Club. While 12 Years a Slave was no doubt embraced for the reasons you describe, it actually has merits beyond its subject matter. This, along with the fact that its creative team was almost entirely black, is what separates it from awful sentimental crap like The Help. It also probably explains why 12 Years didn't do nearly as well at the box office.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

On the one hand, very likely. On the other hand, mmm, dark chocolate cake...

She wants that dark chocolate alright.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
A most cursory google search finds multiple older news items stating that Pelosi is a well-known aficinado of dark chocolate, so the racial implications of that tweet are probably without merit.

Edit: Forgot to give a link.

Randler fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 5, 2014

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

McDowell posted:

This won't last if he gets nailed for tax fraud / evasion

Thankfully, I doubt he has the guts to actually go through with it, like most of the anti-government types we read about here.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I have a hard time believing that a a high ranking Democrat is a racist and has a sense of humor.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Badger of Basra posted:

I just did the testing out thing and it looks okay to me, although obviously the spoken parts are pretty bad. But that's just a consequence of it being a robot, I guess. PM me if you have any questions, gosto muito de ensinar!

edit: actually I did notice one thing that's not necessarily wrong, but kind of bothers me. They tend to leave off the definite article when using possessives (the robot said "Eu como com minha tia" instead of "Eu como com a minha tia"), but I'm more used to the other way around. Not a big deal though.

edit edit: and this one is a big deal: they always seem to use "nós" (we) and the -amos/-emos form rather than "a gente" and the third-person form ("Nós ficamos" vs. "A gente fica"). "Nós" is much more formal, so look out for that.

a further edit: affirmative responses to questions are usually phrased as "[conj. verb], sim." For instance, "Você tem um bebê?" "Tenho, sim." The website seems to just do "Sim, tenho um bebê."

Thanks! With the exception of nós/a gente, this seems in line with variations in Spanish grammar that I'm used to, so that'll make it easier to learn or harder to distinguish. Here's hoping more of the former!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Happy birthday obongo~

R. Mute posted:

it's literally tactical realism, you idiot. you get in on the premise that memories can be selectively erased but then you get pissy about how the tech's not made clear and how the loving business model is bad. that's the definition of tactical realism. even worse, it's like you failed to understand even the basics of the film - there's no third of the film dedicated to the technology. it's all a plot device. all of it. if they mention memory erasing, it's meant to drive the actual plot - which is about the relationship between joel and clementine - forward. the question is never 'what if we could erase our memory' it's 'would you?' the third of the film you talk about (which is more like a fifteen minute section at best) is about even if it works, you'll just end up making the same choices again, that we're more than just a collection of memories - that's not meant to be a criticism of the targeted memory erasing process - which does not exist, remember? - it a comment on humanity.

they literally put a cut in half disco ball on jim carrey's head and you're posting about index cards. are you going to watch guardians of the galaxy and complain that the loving rocket raccoon wouldn't be able to fire his gun because raccoons don't have opposable thumbs? look, you don't have to like the film. not everyone can have good taste in cinema. but at least dislike it for non-bullshit reasons. if need be, pretend charlie kaufman walks into your room every time you intend to watch it, he says 'let's pretend this whole memory erasing thing works, okay? that'll be our little deal.' and gives you a sly wink while shaking your hand.

christ.

e: also what the gently caress is that last line supposed to mean? you can't start your post with tactical realism and end it by pretending to be a film snob. the entire first part of your post makes me believe you're unable to watch films that aren't instructional videos for 3d printers, so don't come at me with that bullshit.

The technology could've been the same cardboard box that Calvin uses to travel through time, that's not really the issue. The company doesn't work because it's nonsensical, and not in a way you're supposed to forget about and just roll with like the time travel paradox argument they use in Looper. If that were the case, you wouldn't have the resolution involving Kirsten Dunst taking down the company as an act of revenge, or Elijah Wood using Jim Carrey's stolen memories to creep on his ex. It tries to add legitimacy to the company's dumb premise and undercuts the actual plot by doing so.

Or, to put it in terms you might connect with a little better; listen fucktard, if you pulled your head out of your rear end you'd realize that I couldn't give two shits about the fake technology or how many pseudoscience explanations they used to make it work, the main problem is that the company, it's employees, and their pointless B-plot either needed to be shoved further in the background and used solely to frame the story, or more effort should've been taken to make those parts less stupid and nonsensical. Maybe you should go back to Intro To Film when your argument basically boils down to "just turn off your brain and enjoy it" :smug:

Also to catch up on the last two pages; the Walking Dead is terrible because every character is unlikable, and Game of Thrones is bad because people treat it like it's somehow better than normal pulp fantasy because they shoved a lot of rape between the dragons and sword fights

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

In honor of Barrack Hussein Obama's birthday, his family has kicked off the RaHoWa. I say death to whitey.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGBw8jS3sMw

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NBC's Saturday Night, best SNL.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Thanks! With the exception of nós/a gente, this seems in line with variations in Spanish grammar that I'm used to, so that'll make it easier to learn or harder to distinguish. Here's hoping more of the former!

Boa sorte! I spoke Spanish before I spoke Portuguese, so I know how you feel. I was able to keep them pretty separate in my head, but there's a few vocab things that always get me. Also a few things from Portuguese I wish happened in Spanish.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
One of my favorite things Werner Herzog has done was inexplicably play the villain in the Jack Reacher movie. I didn't even ask why. It all made sense somehow.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Mauser posted:

I have a hard time believing that a a high ranking Democrat is a racist and has a sense of humor.

I think there's a craft to getting the opposing base riled up with stupid complaints that make them sound dumb or childish. See Ted Cruz re: Green Eggs and Ham.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Randler posted:

A most cursory google search finds multiple older news items stating that Pelosi is a well-known aficinado of dark chocolate, so the racial implications of that tweet are probably without merit.

Edit: Forgot to give a link.

Thanks Randler

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Thanks Randler

Humorless Germans

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
would it be more racist to give obama white chocolate candy or vanilla ice cream?

e: blue bell vanilla is the best ice cream and i will literally fight a gun battle with any fool who thinks otherwise

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Surely you mean "green tea", not "vanilla"?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

how does it feel to hate sunshine and happiness?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mauser posted:

Mitt Romney.

E: Realanswer, Reid's opinion on Italians

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Mitt Romney.

E: Realanswer, Reid's opinion on Italians

I was going to make a joke about slick haired goombas making a move onto his turf, but then I looked it up and apparently that's exactly what he believed.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

NBC's Saturday Night, best SNL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LeJfn_qW0

Back when Eddie Murphy was still funny.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Hedera Helix posted:

i will fight a gun battle with you, fucker

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Uploader has not made video in your country? But, but...I live in the USA. Everything's supposed to be available to me :(

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Uploader has not made video in your country? But, but...I live in the USA. Everything's supposed to be available to me :(

Al Jazeera really pissed me off when they did this, especially since AJAM's site sucks compared to AJE. The redirect is only on everything before /news in the url, but since they route the server through somewhere outside the US, it takes forever for the page to load. Especially since AJAM is never going to make money. If I'm going to have to tolerate a slave driving theocracy they can at least keep their news site open.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mooyashi posted:

One of my favorite things Werner Herzog has done was inexplicably play the villain in the Jack Reacher movie. I didn't even ask why. It all made sense somehow.

He is an enemy to all of us, we are all one another's enemies and we are crushing one another in an endless cycle of barbarism and terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Joe Wilson keeps sending me email and I don't really know why.

Check this poo poo out:

A Motherfucker posted:

Dear Friend,

As we enter into a busy August filled with back-to-school shopping, recreational events, and college football, please take a moment to read about what Congress has been working on to help you and your families.

Suing the President

Every President issues executive orders as a way to assist with implementation of a law. However, I believe President Obama has taken his authority too far when it comes to enforcing his signature piece of healthcare legislation. Last week, the House of Representatives voted on a resolution authorizing Congress to file a lawsuit in objection to the President’s two unilateral changes to Obamacare’s employer mandate without authorization by Congress. House Republicans are committed to upholding the Constitution, which explicitly states that the President must faithfully execute laws passed by the Legislative Branch. I believe the President should be held accountable for overstepping his authority, which is why legal action is necessary.

Improving Veterans’ Access to Quality Healthcare

The continuing scandal surrounding the Veterans Administration is inexcusable. Last week, a bipartisan group in the House passed the Veterans Access, Choice & Accountability Act, a bipartisan, bicameral agreement that begins to address the problems facing our veterans. This piece of legislation allows veterans to seek private care if they live more than 40 miles from the nearest VA facility, or are unable to get an appointment at a VA facility within 30 days. It also makes it easier to fire or demote senior VA managers who are not doing their jobs and fabricating waiting lists. Every day, constituents reach out to the office and share stories of lengthy waiting lists, delay of services, and possible deaths of a loved one. It is my hope that this piece of legislation will begin to bring significant changes to our flawed system. Our veterans have earned and deserve it.

Making Life Easier for American Families

Three out of four families are living paycheck to paycheck. With rising healthcare premiums and increasing energy costs, parents are struggling to make ends meet and provide for their families. The current child tax credit provision fails to take the increased costs of raising children into account. To address these concerns and help parents keep more of their paychecks in their pockets, Congress passed H.R. 4935, the Child Tax Credit Improvement Act of 2014. This piece of legislation modifies the child tax credit in three ways: (1) the $1,000 credit amount is indexed for inflation; (2) the beginning of the child credit phase out for joint filers is increased from $110,000 to $150,000 to eliminate the marriage penalty; and (3) the beginning point of the income phase-outs is indexed for inflation. Updating this law makes progress for comprehensive tax reform, treats married couples more fairly, and gives parents more income to cover expenses at home.

Restoring Accountability with the IRS

The Internal Revenue Service plays an essential role in the Administration and under current law is responsible for implementing certain portions of Obamacare. Because the organization has come under significant heat in the past year for illegally targeting conservative groups, I do not believe that it can be trusted to implement the Affordable Care Act. This past month, Congress passed the H.R. 5016, the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act, legislation that bars the IRS from enforcing Obamacare’s individual mandate. House Republicans believe that we must rein in this agency’s invasive overreach that effects millions of American families.

Protecting the Savannah River Site

The Savannah River Site (SRS) plays a vital role in protecting our national security and has a huge impact on the Aiken-Barnwell community. For several years, hardworking families at SRS have been placed in limbo because the Administration continues to reduce resources for the Site. Last week, Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz toured SRS for the first time since taking the lead position last May. I, along with Governor Nikki Haley, Senator Lindsey Graham and Senator Tim Scott, joined the Secretary and NNSA Administrator Frank Klotz and discussed critical issues that lie ahead. After a fruitful discussion, I remain hopeful that after seeing the operations up-close Secretary Moniz will have a first-hand understanding of the vital ongoing missions and the resources needed to ensure success.

It is an honor to represent the people of the Second Congressional District of South Carolina.

If I may be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yeah I'll get right on that Joe. :jerkbag:

• Locked thread