Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Jack posted:

That's all I needed to know. I'll skip the rest.

Also, I recently discovered this reality show Face Off about makeup special effects - it's addicting.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651893

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I watched the first episode of Longmire after seeing it mentioned in this thread a few times. It was pretty good. I was incredibly surprised when they solved the case at the end of the episode though, True Detective and Fargo made me forget how procedurals work.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DP is right, to be fair. The Leftovers can't be compared to Dexter at all.

Dexter is way, way better than The Leftovers.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

misguided rage posted:

I watched the first episode of Longmire after seeing it mentioned in this thread a few times. It was pretty good. I was incredibly surprised when they solved the case at the end of the episode though, True Detective and Fargo made me forget how procedurals work.

I also started watching Longmire and binged through the first season last week. I'm liking it so far and regret not getting into it from the beginning, although in my defense I saw one of those pre-trailer promos in a movie theater that made it look like some kind of cheesy cowboy drama and completely turned me off from checking it out until now. There are occasional rough spots (the number of times the super honorable, old-fashioned sheriff breaks the law For The Right Reason™ is kind of silly) and the main dude sometimes makes Raylan Givens look like a wall street banker by comparison, but I really like most of the character dynamics and the stuff with the reservation police force and politics is interesting without being too heavy-handed.

And I wish Peter Weller would show up in and direct episodes of every show I watch. That dude continues to be loving awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bown posted:

DP is right, to be fair. The Leftovers can't be compared to Dexter at all.

Dexter is way, way better than The Leftovers.

During the Doakes years, maybe.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mu Zeta posted:

During the Doakes years, maybe.

Nah, Bown is my bro but I've got to disagree with him on that. Despite The Leftovers flaws (I don't like it, shocker) its production quality is head and shoulders above what Dexter ever was. Even the second season of Dexter, the last one with Doakes, was warmed up poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are you guys ruining my fun posts by taking them seriously

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

Why are you guys ruining my fun posts by taking them seriously

This is me every day.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the worst drama of the past 5 years? The Leftovers is worse than that one.

and Masters of Sex continues to own bones

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

What's the worst drama of the past 5 years? The Leftovers is worse than that one.

and Masters of Sex continues to own bones

Dexter. It's always Dexter. Assuming were not counting one season and cancelled dramas.

Maybe The Walking Dead comes close if we're judging it purely on its drama credentials, but it at least as competent production levels where as Dexter poo poo the bed on everything from writing, to framing, to acting all the way up to SFX.

Of course there's been worse shows in a sense, anyone who read the thread along with it airing knows that Dexter had the good grace to be funny and stupid, where as the Leftovers and Rising Sun (is this the right name?) are just boring and stupid.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What bothers me so much about The Leftovers is how people use its premise to forgive all sorts of totally unrealistic nonsense and the characters being assholes all the time. It's like Occ tried to say in IRC that he thought the cult were a totally realistic thing that would happen in the wake of such an event, even though it would make way more sense for all those people to just kill themselves or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

For all the Leftovers talk going on in this thread, I still don't know what the show's about or why anyone would think its good. I mean, I know a bunch of people disappear and poo poo, but.. so what?

edit: besides the fact that its on HBO, which seems to be enough to give even the worst show a prestige bump.

It's about most of the world having to come to terms with the aftermath of Guy Fieri coming to town.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I heard Tex Wasabi's isn't that bad. I want to try a deep fried crab roll with donkey sauce.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bown posted:

What bothers me so much about The Leftovers is how people use its premise to forgive all sorts of totally unrealistic nonsense and the characters being assholes all the time. It's like Occ tried to say in IRC that he thought the cult were a totally realistic thing that would happen in the wake of such an event, even though it would make way more sense for all those people to just kill themselves or something.

Cult's thinking: "Life is worthless, everything is worthless." *Lives on to be an rear end in a top hat because they don't know what else to do.*

Does this cult even pay taxes? They have chores, but they don't hold a job or even sell girl scout cookies. How the hell do they afford to eat? Or is Oatmeal the only thing they can afford?

"I ain't paying a single dime until the government gets back those ten friends I lost on Facebook! Which ten friends? We-well, I can't tell you that, I'd be divulgin' their private information. But there are ten friends that I'd like to reconnect with that are currently missing, and you see officer, that's why I can't pay my taxes. I needs to see the government do something for me!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anybody know what "that scene" would be w/r/t Outlander?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Complaining about TV characters being assholes in the year 2014.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

zoux posted:

Anybody know what "that scene" would be w/r/t Outlander?

Is this the show based on the Gabaldon books? I think it's torture with homosexual undertones that ends up being not an undertone when it turns out one of the characters is gay. Also the gay Byron-esque torturer looks just like the time-traveling woman's husband back in 1945 or whatever. Or something like that. I dunno if that's the first book though, or if I'm misremembering something.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 5, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it is. I've just seen a couple of references to it here and there.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT THE ONLY REASON I KNOW THAT IS BECAUSE MY MOM LOVES THOSE BOOKS. OKAY GUYS!?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, okay. Because that makes it better, not worse.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Bown posted:

What's the worst drama of the past 5 years?

I haven't seen Dexter but I'd have to put True Blood up there. The actual drama portion of the show is nothing more than a setpiece to get beautiful people to gently caress, kill, have gently caress dreams, and have backwards-head hate sex. It's gloriously campy and fun but pretty much fails in every way as a drama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The worst drama of the past 5 years is some no name show that never really went anywhere, like Persons Unknown.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

The worst drama of the past 5 years is some no name show that never really went anywhere, like Persons Unknown.

That's like saying the worst art ever created was made by Timothy Johnson, age 6, of Minnetonka, MN in 1983.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

timp posted:

That's like saying the worst art ever created was made by Timothy Johnson, age 6, of Minnetonka, MN in 1983.

Wanna see this art.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

timp posted:

Hey, it was on TV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa huge slam on Timothy Johnson outta nowhere.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

hope and vaseline posted:

I haven't seen Dexter but I'd have to put True Blood up there. The actual drama portion of the show is nothing more than a setpiece to get beautiful people to gently caress, kill, have gently caress dreams, and have backwards-head hate sex. It's gloriously campy and fun but pretty much fails in every way as a drama.

For as dumb as True Blood is (and it is dumb) - the last few seasons of Dexter were exponentially worse.

I'd stake Alcatraz or Flash Forward in that race.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Event. Or Heroes post s1. The Cape. Help I thought about NBC and now I can't stop listing terrible dramas. My Own Worst Enemy!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

The Event. Or Heroes post s1. The Cape. Help I thought about NBC and now I can't stop listing terrible dramas. My Own Worst Enemy!

I legitimately enjoyed The Event and was bummed when it was cancelled. There was some pretty decent acting, but every plot device was "I'm sorry, I have to! He threatened my family!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Timothy Johnson was underappreciated in his time. History will prove him a genius.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first ~50 episodes of Star Trek: Next Generation are godawful. 50 hours of poo poo before it gets good. That puts it above the 1-season wonders.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

zoux posted:

I would rather watch those than Dexter.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm old. Someone explain the pig joke in the thread title.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mu Zeta posted:

The first ~50 episodes of Star Trek: Next Generation are godawful. 50 hours of poo poo before it gets good. That puts it above the 1-season wonders.

Season 2 had some great episodes, and even season one had a couple.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I want a job on a multicam sitcom. :(

Award acclaim and money.

http://youtu.be/CBCaxYm_pJs [0:31]

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, I'm perfectly happy to admit that The Leftovers is a hard show to like and as such I have zero interest in defending it. But comparing it to Dexter Season Anything? gently caress right off.

No matter how many words you write, no matter how many times you deploy subjective buzzphrases like "leaden dialogue" and "stupid characters" and "ham-fisted storytelling" and how throughly you back those words up, it will not ever change the fact that the show about the effects of a Rapture-like event on humanity as seen through a cross-section of a small town, and the show about a heroic serial killer who kills other serial killers, are alike in only two ways: Both are hourlong programs made for premium networks, and both are shows you don't like. Trying to tie the two together in any other way is going to make you look like a hyperbolic idiot.

"I loving hate The Leftovers. I can accept not having any insight on what happened, but I don't give a poo poo about these lovely people and their lovely attitudes toward their lovely world." Says the exact same thing in a respectable, unimpeachable way, without the sad suspicion that you're trying to score cool points by comparing a so-far critically respected TV series to what's widely regarded as one of the worst seasons of television ever produced.

...God dammit. If SpiderHyphenMan's an rear end in a top hat about Korra, I guess I'm the guy who's an rear end in a top hat about The Leftovers. At least now that Occ's not allowed to talk about it in this thread.
Dexter season 6 had Edward James Olmos as a ghost/hallucination and a dipshit Apocalypse plot with the same pretensions of Importance. I realize it's a cruel comparison, but The Leftovers isn't even hate-watchable like Dexter was. I dropped it after episode 3 and I'm still loving bored.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I'm on episode two of the Leftovers and it's truly riveting stuff. Will we ever find out the identity of bald dog shooting man? Mysteries like this make me want to keep watching.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
After hearing what you guys have to say about the Leftovers, does anyone know how well it's doing? Especially compared to HBO's other shows?

I don't imagine I could give it another go unless they dove deep into the reasons why those people disappeared, and even then, I'm not sure I'd want to drudge through the mopey stuff. The premise is super-interesting, but the story they chose to tell in this world is not.

The only line from the episode that stuck out was, "The Pope, I can understand... But Gary Busey?" - That's the show I want to watch.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

DirtyRobot posted:

I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT THE ONLY REASON I KNOW THAT IS BECAUSE MY MOM LOVES THOSE BOOKS. OKAY GUYS!?

It's cool man, my wife likes those books a lot so I've already seen the first episode of the show. It is not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Irish Joe posted:

I'm old. Someone explain the pig joke in the thread title.

The most glorious television event in Canadian history: THE STARLOST.

• Locked thread