Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the would get less heat if they had better PR, or at least somebody who can convince them not to melt down on twitter/reddit when they get really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

OwlFancier posted:

hey devs I heard from an elite goon poster you get a literal star when you preorder so can I have zeta reticuli 2 please thankyou

On a serious note, I really want space hulk style derelict stations in the game. I mean, surely the random monster generator can make something like a genestealer.

Seconding this. For Metroiding Purposes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Devour or Fire posted:

Maybe the would get less heat if they had better PR, or at least somebody who can convince them not to melt down on twitter/reddit when they get really sad.

I doubt it. People whine for the fun of it.

Literally Kermit posted:

Seconding this. For Metroiding Purposes.

Oh god I forgot there was a morph ball tech...

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Devour or Fire posted:

There's absolutely no way to win there, though. If they never made it early access the same assholes would be doing the same thing with slightly modified behavior. They'd be right to be mad, too, I never said they wouldn't have a pot to piss in.

But considering how they act the lot of them can gently caress right off to hell and kiss my green rear end on the way out.

edit:

OwlFancier posted:

I doubt it. People whine for the fun of it.

Oh god I forgot there was a morph ball tech...

Also the dash tech! Many techs.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The coder who ended up self-banning on the Steam Forums was loving funny, though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Devour or Fire posted:

Twitter and reddit were designed essentially for sharing bitch-tears. It's like asking Bruce Tinsley not to down a bottle of Jack.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Imagine the Super Metroid Wrecked Ship area... but procedurally generated... yeah that'd be p. sweet I can't wait for 10 more stable versions to be released.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pochoclo posted:

Imagine the Super Metroid Wrecked Ship area... but procedurally generated... yeah that'd be p. sweet I can't wait for 10 more stable versions to be released.

And imagine cleaning it out and sprucing it up and making it your home "planet". :allears:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Zereth posted:

And imagine cleaning it out and sprucing it up and making it your home "planet". :allears:

I want that R2-D2 looking motherfucker from the wrecked ship in my base.

Oh yeah, you know what I'm talking about!

edit: erotic anon/kermit fanfiction removed as per my consul

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 5, 2014

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Literally Kermit posted:

I want that R2-D2 looking motherfucker from the wrecked ship in my base.

Oh yeah, you know what I'm talking about!

edit: erotic anon/kermit fanfiction removed as per my consul

To be fair, it was me, I was that lone goon on the shore

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Literally Kermit, I have no clue what you were trying to do with that monstrosity, but I am perfectly content to assume you accomplished it now that it's been edited out. Really I'm content with almost anything that isn't that... thing.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The "fraud" thing is a group of idiots on 4chan filing a "report" (meaning a bitchy to-whom-it-may-concern letter) to Companies House in the UK, claiming Chucklefish have falsely claimed a small-company accounting exemption.

The poster is claiming they have "proof" Starbound has brought in something like £5 million in revenue based on what the meth pixies told them, so naturally Chucklefish's failure to declare these phantom millions must be a sign of fraud.

The same poster then went on to admit he's actually doing it because he just wants to try and get the company audited and cause as much disruption to development as possible, because he and his little internet buddies have decided that Starbound must never be released!

Don'tcha love 4chan logic?

CH have sent back a form email acknowledging receipt, which naturally is being touted as a harbinger of the Chucklepocalypse.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Angry Diplomat posted:

Literally Kermit, I have no clue what you were trying to do with that monstrosity, but I am perfectly content to assume you accomplished it now that it's been edited out. Really I'm content with almost anything that isn't that... thing.

Won't happen again, chief. Scout's honor. :buddy:

(btw I loved that dwarf fortress comic you got your name from)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Loxbourne posted:

The same poster then went on to admit he's actually doing it because he just wants to try and get the company audited and cause as much disruption to development as possible, because he and his little internet buddies have decided that Starbound must never be released!

The same logic was used on Minecraft for a long time: people decided Notch wasn't working as fast as they wanted him to, so they actively disrupted him with DDOS attacks and poo poo. What better way to rectify slow development than to harass and hamper the developers further?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

The "fraud" thing is a group of idiots on 4chan filing a "report" (meaning a bitchy to-whom-it-may-concern letter) to Companies House in the UK, claiming Chucklefish have falsely claimed a small-company accounting exemption.

The poster is claiming they have "proof" Starbound has brought in something like £5 million in revenue based on what the meth pixies told them, so naturally Chucklefish's failure to declare these phantom millions must be a sign of fraud.

CH have sent back a form email acknowledging receipt, which naturally is being touted as a harbinger of the Chucklepocalypse.

20 million, not 5 million.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
See also the massive DDoSsing of the Cube World dude, and apparent death threats. Also, people calling cops on Twitch.Tv live streamers.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

20 million, not 5 million.

If they have less than 50 employees they still qualify regardless of turnover so this is just a case of someone being dumb as hell.

I hope it costs money to file poo poo like this but I assume not.

What an incredibly stupid thing to try to catch them out on too. They're basically saying that they avoided getting audited. Not that they did anything wrong, but that this company of like 10 people claimed it was small so it didn't have to hire a full time accountant to file all their financials with the government.

You can just imagine them now: "God drat it chucklefish, when I paid my $15 for a space game I was expecting for you to spend that money on accountants! I demand a refund!"

It's just so insane.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
4chan: Tries to audit a gaming company because they gave them money for a game, claims up and down about tax exemption and some bizarre embezzlement claim, goes into armchair legalism to defend itself and claim that 20 million obviously can't all go into production, has no loving idea what profit is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Really that's something people don't seem to understand about Kickstarter and other crowd funding sites in general. Yeah, the money is to help people do what the Kickstarter is for, but they can do whatever the hell they want with any extra money they get from it. If a Kickstarter project meets the funding goal, any money above that is pure profit on the creator's part, it's up to them to decide if they want there to be additional rewards or not or even if the extra cash goes toward developing the thing in the first place. That's literally in their terms of service.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
ToS is a whole separate can of worms that is really stupid, for any game.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
In other news. :allears:

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

To be brutally honest, its impossible to appease large communities. Especially when you get into games which have some form of community feedback. Some group is always going to be angry for some reason and if you change to make them happy, another one will get angry. Unfortunately, the best you can do is try to minimize how loud the groups are, but even that doesn't mean much. Especially when said groups love to spread misinformation.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CJacobs posted:

Really that's something people don't seem to understand about Kickstarter and other crowd funding sites in general. Yeah, the money is to help people do what the Kickstarter is for, but they can do whatever the hell they want with any extra money they get from it.
This is absolutely the case. Fans in games like these expect that every cent made by the game has to go back INTO the game, in the form of hiring new coders, who themselves are just machines that consume cash and alchemy it into code. Profit is not allowed to be kept, it has to go back to the people who spent it via the game. If I gave you $15, I need that $15 back in the form of content, and no, the game itself does not count. I know devs will post about "got a new apartment finally!" or someone picked up their first car or bought a puppy and people flipped the gently caress out. Like, "THIS is what you spent our millions of dollars on???"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Well, that's some nice progress I guess-Oh right in the nostalgia.

50, the one true lord of Super Soaking.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vib Rib posted:

This is absolutely the case. Fans in games like these expect that every cent made by the game has to go back INTO the game, in the form of hiring new coders, who themselves are just machines that consume cash and alchemy it into code. Profit is not allowed to be kept, it has to go back to the people who spent it via the game. If I gave you $15, I need that $15 back in the form of content, and no, the game itself does not count. I know devs will post about "got a new apartment finally!" or someone picked up their first car or bought a puppy and people flipped the gently caress out. Like, "THIS is what you spent our millions of dollars on???"

The really hilarious/terrible thing about those complaints is, those things actually do contribute to the game's overall quality and how much and how fast it is worked out. As this postmortem for a Kickstarted game (that dramatically exceeded its funding goals) explains, financial security is a huge deal, and not having money (and all the things that come with it, like only being able to work part-time on the project, being constantly stressed out, undernourished, and other such things) makes working on these projects and making them good much harder. Factors outside of actually working on the game, surprisingly enough, affect how well one can work on a game, and a developer who can afford to do things for fun and buy nice food and stuff is going to be much more productive and effective than one who devotes their full time to nothing but coding or whatever.

Basically, the people who complain whenever a dev talks about anything other than making the game are idiots who not only are pushing for something that would make the game worse overall, they would probably complain about that too.

Nothing constructive to add here, I'm just amused that the placeholder(?) art for the water-vacuum is a water gun.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Waaait a sec. That ain't Djinn's mod! :v:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Shoehead posted:

Waaait a sec. That ain't Djinn's mod! :v:

poo poo, CF really does steal mods. That guy I don't know who yelled at me on Twitter was right

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Roland Jones posted:

The really hilarious/terrible thing about those complaints is, those things actually do contribute to the game's overall quality and how much and how fast it is worked out. As this postmortem for a Kickstarted game (that dramatically exceeded its funding goals) explains, financial security is a huge deal, and not having money (and all the things that come with it, like only being able to work part-time on the project, being constantly stressed out, undernourished, and other such things) makes working on these projects and making them good much harder. Factors outside of actually working on the game, surprisingly enough, affect how well one can work on a game, and a developer who can afford to do things for fun and buy nice food and stuff is going to be much more productive and effective than one who devotes their full time to nothing but coding or whatever.

Basically, the people who complain whenever a dev talks about anything other than making the game are idiots who not only are pushing for something that would make the game worse overall, they would probably complain about that too.

The other side of it is that programming is a ridiculously difficult, slow, and tedious task, especially if you're making something as big as a fully featured computer game. Coding also has all sorts of issues with things like bugs cropping up you didn't foresee, stuff taking longer than you anticipated to develop, and other random crap like some library you're using getting an update that breaks a bunch of poo poo. Other times that weird hack you did eight months ago to get That One Feature working breaks a hack later to get some other feature working or screws things up pretty badly.

Writing bug free code is also literally impossible and probably about half of time spent programming is debugging things, fixing poo poo, and rewriting code that could be better. You also can't "just hire another programmer" and magically make it faster. A new coder needs to be trained in the code base, introduced to whatever odd standards the project has (and trust me, no two projects are even remotely identical), and given time to mesh with the team. Not only that but more coders on the team invariably means more bugs, especially on really big projects. Nobody will understand all of the code in the project which will invariably cause extra issues. There is also the issue that new programmers tend to want to get paid and you probably have some sort of long-term business plan which includes stupid poo poo like "make sure everybody gets paid on time for more than a few months." Programmers are actually pretty damned expensive.

A lot of people bitching about developing taking too long just plain don't understand programming and how hard and long of a task it is.

This is especially true if you're using procedural generation at all. That right there is a hideous monster that's really hard to get working at all let alone properly.

I also find the sense of entitlement baffling, not just in the sense of "having fun sometimes, not starving, and having a warm bed to sleep in makes you better at literally everything" but also how personally a lot of people take it when a developer does something that doesn't directly benefit the game. Developers are still people and having a steady gig with regular pay is pretty nice so of course an indie game that makes a poo poo load of money is going to see some of it disappear into a case labelled "in case of poverty break glass." Expecting people to save none of it is ridiculous. Back to the coding thing, programming is stressful, tedious, and hard and I don't know about everybody else but if I just wrote code for ten hours I want to get the gently caress away from the computer and do something else for a while. If I just coded all day it's perfectly reasonable for me to go take a walk, have a beer and some fries while I'm out, and chill out for a bit. It's unreasonable to demand that a developer work literally every waking hour on a project because "WHERE IS THE GAME, DEVS?"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
And to add to the programming talk. Art is also hard and takes a while if you want it done right. Norn was working on that Train for daaays and that's just a static image! It's the same with every creative medium people expect you to do it for next to nothing and super quick because they think it's some super fun non-job.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Everyone who bitches about stuff should make one animated sprite in ms-paint first.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Motherfucker posted:

Everyone who bitches about stuff should make one animated sprite in ms-paint first.

"Everyone knows pixel art is a lazy cash in I could do that in five minut-"--ffuuuuccck off! :commissar:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I wanted to make a mod that was a back item that doubles as a spot-light beam, basically a hands free flashlight

I learned quickly that I could not do this thing on account of lacking talents. Like coding or arts. I ended up deleting my horrible sprite in shame when I finally got it ingame and it looked like something from one of those games Lowtax always pans.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Christ I can't believe how toxic this community is, like this is the yardstick by which all other toxic communities are measured.

I'm waiting for some of the bigger updates to go stable, so I only check this thread every now and then, but even like this they're wearing me down.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Shoehead posted:

"Everyone knows pixel art is a lazy cash in I could do that in five minut-"--ffuuuuccck off! :commissar:
Things that are so easy anyone could do them*:
  • Sprite art and animations
  • Code overhauls
  • Creating a multibilion dollar profit sandbox game like Minecraft

*They just don't want to.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Davoren posted:

Christ I can't believe how toxic this community is, like this is the yardstick by which all other toxic communities are measured.

I'm waiting for some of the bigger updates to go stable, so I only check this thread every now and then, but even like this they're wearing me down.

No, the Minecraft modding community is generally much much worse.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

GreyPowerVan posted:

No, the Minecraft modding community is generally much much worse.

Wow. Is it just a side effect of these building games that attracts the worst people?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I still think about a species of bipedal butts for Starbound every now and then, but brainstorming art and item handling is rough.

I am the best worst of people.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I think I've said this before but I'm massively disappointed in this game from what it's delivered so far and what it could be and the time frames do look like nothing has happened with it for the longest time. (this is from a casual observer who logs in to the game via steam now and then to see if the game got good)

However I'm not going to sperg out on the devs as it's just something that happens sometimes and it's not like buying it has bankrupted me or any of that silly poo poo. The only negative outcome really is that I'm probably not going to buy another early access game and that does hurt developers.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

The simple reply said before:
Are you still using the Stable build? Unstable has taken plenty of steps forward in development, but Nightly is where the fun is at, even though it is more unstable than unstable and sometimes requires wiping config and/or universe&player data.

If they gave a 2015 date for a final "gone gold" version then they are well on their way to get that done, no problem. I know that's the year of the PS4 one at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
It really takes zero effort to look at the website and see the daily news updates. That would be the first thing I'd do if I wanted to check up on a game in development, but maybe that's just me expecting too much out of people. There's only so much we can do.

• Locked thread