Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Open for decades to come? Yeah, I doubt that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

DurosKlav posted:

Pretty much all this especially the last bit. The mother letting her sons just screw her over by not giving a cut of their profits to her. Am I misremembering or did I miss hear the restaurant son say he was making over $100k a year? 100k+ a year and not paying any rent is just ridiculous.
Yeah, he said he was netting $150k/yr profit on the restaurant alone. And when Gordon accused him of not caring because he wasn't helping his mom he flipped out.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

UncleMonkey posted:

Yeah, he said he was netting $150k/yr profit on the restaurant alone. And when Gordon accused him of not caring because he wasn't helping his mom he flipped out.

"gently caress you, Gordon! You're not my real dad! That's my real dad: over there, in the Bud Hut!"

:350:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 5, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's no way Daniel was Leslie first choice for the rolling pin. Obviously the producers wouldn't let him give it to Ahran or Courtney.

You know, I have been hating on Courtney all season, but she pretty much reproduced the challenge dish exactly as asked and didn't try to dazzle the judges. 5 years in and people still end up losing because "Well I don't want to replicate the dish I want to be unique".

Oh, and Francis deserved to go home. Serving a puree as a pasta sauce? That's a terrible idea.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

surf rock posted:

There's something deeply, deeply disturbing about Jaime.

Also, I love Francis and it's gonna kill me if he's kicked instead of Daniel.

She sounds like she's constantly gargling phlegm.

*shudder*

I hate it when she talks.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Lipumira posted:

She sounds like she's constantly gargling phlegm.

*shudder*

I hate it when she talks.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but she's basically Tina from Bob's Burgers without the erotic friendfiction. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XaIuw6K6Q

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

Coconut Indian posted:

Someone mentioned this earlier, but she's basically Tina from Bob's Burgers without the erotic friendfiction. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XaIuw6K6Q

She also reminds me of a human chihuahua and I can imagine that she pees herself a little bit every time someone looks at her.

Jamie not Tina. And i don't want to read any of Jamie's erotic anythings.

I can't believe she is still on the show.

And I feel bad that crazy pants man went home.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

liltimshady posted:

Just got home and I hear: We found a pair of dirty underwear under the bed...

And weed.
I thought that woman said the underwear was under the sheets in the bed.

Butt is another term for cigarette or a, um medicinal joint.

DurosKlav posted:

Pretty much all this especially the last bit. The mother letting her sons just screw her over by not giving a cut of their profits to her. Am I misremembering or did I miss hear the restaurant son say he was making over $100k a year? 100k+ a year and not paying any rent is just ridiculous.

That's probably sales, not profit. The 'white trash tweeker' brother still has to pay for ingredients'n'stuff. But even so it was completely ripping off mom by paying no rent or utilities and just keeping all the money.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I seriously doubt he was making $150k sales, by the looks of the place he was blowing smoke up Gordon's rear end not realizing he was gonna get reamed for not paying rent.

Like later in the show the other brother, when asked how much money he made, was all "oh I uh, made a couple hundred bucks" and his wife lied and said $500.

I'm pretty sure neither of their businesses are actually making much money.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Joe says to our favorite lesbian "i think you're the right person for the every day box". Then she compliments him and I realize Joe just isn't being a douchebag (he is still a douchebag).

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Those stripes on the wall of the revamped lobby are hideous and out of place. Also, I kind of wanted to punch the dad in his useless loving face.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Hey man, he worked hard at building a hotel 20 years ago, cut him some slack

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

1st AD posted:

Like later in the show the other brother, when asked how much money he made, was all "oh I uh, made a couple hundred bucks" and his wife lied and said $500.
Ha, I saw that differently. I thought stoner brother was being like "uhhh some" and his wife was actually on the ball enough to know. $500 would only be 34 admissions, which looked legit from the number of dancing weirdos we saw. I can't imagine there's a ton of overhead there either.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Ha, I saw that differently. I thought stoner brother was being like "uhhh some" and his wife was actually on the ball enough to know. $500 would only be 34 admissions, which looked legit from the number of dancing weirdos we saw. I can't imagine there's a ton of overhead there either.

Hopefully they are also selling alcohol or "something" besides. The music venue is almost pure profit, the restaurant has a lot of fixed costs.

Also there's no way I would stay there, the place was pretty awesome looking (at least on the outside) and that part of Oregon is indeed gorgeous but sweet lord I would not want to open my window for some fresh air and smell loving marijuana.

What was with the tents though? Who wants to stay in a tent right outside a lodge? Yurts are big out here, the ones I've stayed at in Oregon are pretty nice - wood floors, electricity, and heat. Heck, the nicer ones have TVs, a microwave, and a fridge, and those are the ones at the state parks. That place would make mad cash with a bunch of nice yurts by the river.

EDIT: their website doesn't list the tents anymore so I guess that's out. At least you can buy concert tickets.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 5, 2014

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Leslie's protein trio didn't look all that standout visually. Seems like they favor those who go for multiple items, and to his credit, getting three high-end proteins right is an accomplishment. Also, I totally buy him giving the pin to Daniel given their past. He's made up with Ahran, but Daniel still despises him.

Once again, I feel like if everyone was playing it safe, they'd chastise them for not taking more risks. "Oh you just used mozzarella? That's not Masterchef." That being said, Willie is starting to take Elise's place as the incompetent underachiever. He has a big personality and all, but he flunked as captain in the diner challenge and his dishes lately have been less Masterchef and more "well I just thought of it." His personality is the only thing that saved him, because his dessert was completely outside the realm of the challenge and Gordon actually spit it out, so I don't know how that's better than Francis' shortcoming. Sounds like they were annoyed at him for continuing to try different things.

I know a lot of you are still down on Cutter, and his time will come I'm sure, but he's simply not the worst at this stage. And Jaime's a sweetheart and all, but she can't get out more than three words a sentence. I don't know how she's going to lead a team, unless someone steps up like Daniel did for Willie.

I never have much to say about Hotel Hell beyond what's already been said. Other than I'm always curious as to how their kids were raised. Growing up in the Butt Hut had to be interesting.

Actually one other thing, I like how the son and the father are all about the hippie lifestyle, yet almost immediately threaten to knock Gordon out after he criticizes them.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 5, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
On Masterchef: I was kinda bummed they didn't taste the chess board. It looked like the good kind of unique, and some actual technique and care went into it.

On Hotel Hell: you know, I'm sure it was miserable for quiet getaway guests, but if they'd kept the mad hippie parties to slow hotel nights (Sunday-Wednesday), that could have been great. I don't wanna sleep on semen sheets, but partying with aging hippies is fun.

And I would have been thrilled to smoke up in the Butt Hut and talk stupid poo poo for an hour or so.

</Vermont kid>

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
MasterChef is just loving with you guys so Willie can be seen over coming all the odds and winning the series. He ain't going anywhere but to the top.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

MasterChef is just loving with you guys so Willie can be seen over coming all the odds and winning the series. He ain't going anywhere but to the top.

Then he and Graham can go shopping together! Or Graham can just give him all of his old clothes!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That checkerboard surf-and-turf looked ghastly.

pentyne posted:

There's no way Daniel was Leslie first choice for the rolling pin. Obviously the producers wouldn't let him give it to Ahran or Courtney.

He made up with Ahran, per the show's narrative.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

On Hotel Hell: you know, I'm sure it was miserable for quiet getaway guests, but if they'd kept the mad hippie parties to slow hotel nights (Sunday-Wednesday), that could have been great. I don't wanna sleep on semen sheets, but partying with aging hippies is fun.

And I would have been thrilled to smoke up in the Butt Hut and talk stupid poo poo for an hour or so.

</Vermont kid>

I wouldn't fault you for that, but the place looks like an old-fashioned lodge, relatively isolated - the closest "city" is Medford and that's a half-hour away. In other words, very rustic and quiet at night. If they want to turn it into a hippie hotel and do music every night, that actually would have been OK if they advertised it as such so they got clientele who wouldn't mind music until 1am because they'd be downstairs anyway.

When I was using Airbnb for places in Europe - some were near the party districts, some were in the quiet residential areas, and they told you because, well, sometimes you want to go to bed early with the windows open, and sometimes you want to be able to grab a zapiekanka at 10pm.

One of the problems with the hotel was that dad and one brother were both stoners and wanted to keep it hippie, but mom and the other brother wanted it to be the rustic place with a nice restaurant; you can't do both and obviously Gordon was never going to help them with the pot/music downstairs scene because he wanted to sleep at night.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm watching Hotel Hell right now and I want to know when I will ever have the opportunity to use the phrase "mosaic of semen".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If Hotel Hell has taught us anything; whenever you enter a hotel room with a blacklight.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
The fat on the cross section of Leslie's steak looked hard and cold.

And seriously, what ailment does Jaime have that makes her talk like that? I MUST KNOW! She acts like at any moment someone may punch her in the face while she's talking.

My wife said "Just google it!" but I have no idea what to even search for...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

She says she doesn't know on Twitter. Spasmodic Dysphonia is one suggestion, particularly like the first women in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqzfsKMaLqk

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Considering they censored the joint smoking my guess is that it's really the "Bud Hut" but they changed it for the show. I also like how they didn't even bother trying to include the dad and sent him off to smoke a bowl while they talked grown up stuff.

As for Masterchef, going purely by what we saw on TV I think Willie's time should have been up.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Joe is a loving ogre. I'm finally catching up on this week's episode and for some reason just realized that he does that poo poo where he bites down on the fork when sliding it out of his mouth so it makes that horrible sound, then chews with his mouth open AND THEN speaks with his mouth full.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I also like how they didn't even bother trying to include the dad and sent him off to smoke a bowl while they talked grown up stuff.

It seemed like Ramsay eventually started to pity the old guy. I think after he saw the old pictures and heard the story of how the place got built he realized the guy wasn't always this way. An empty husk of a man is hard to get mad at, I think Ramsay kinda felt bad for him. Its the sons that really pissed Gordon off.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Coconut Indian posted:

Joe is a loving ogre. I'm finally catching up on this week's episode and for some reason just realized that he does that poo poo where he bites down on the fork when sliding it out of his mouth so it makes that horrible sound, then chews with his mouth open AND THEN speaks with his mouth full.

Joe sucks but that sound is almost certainly added in post.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

It seemed like Ramsay eventually started to pity the old guy. I think after he saw the old pictures and heard the story of how the place got built he realized the guy wasn't always this way. An empty husk of a man is hard to get mad at, I think Ramsay kinda felt bad for him. Its the sons that really pissed Gordon off.

He's an old dude who's spent the last god knows how long doing little besides smoking up and his family hasn't done anything about it in this long. It's clear he isn't going to change nor is his ex-wife / kids going to kick him out, so it's time for $500 of overstock.com clearance items and a rug shampooer to solve all their problems.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Brocktoon posted:

And seriously, what ailment does Jaime have that makes her talk like that? I MUST KNOW! She acts like at any moment someone may punch her in the face while she's talking.

My wife said "Just google it!" but I have no idea what to even search for...

I've heard they don't get around to actually tasting the food for an hour after they finish - they have to photograph it apparently?

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Watching Hotel Hell with the Applegate lodge

So far I am rooting for a DEA raid.

patb01 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 5, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

patb01 posted:

Watching Hotel Hell with the Applegate lodge

So far I am rooting for a DEA raid.

Even with a medical card a cookie jar full of weed is probably too much.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Usually medical marijuana has a limit to how much you can have, not sure about Oregon.

Besides unless I'm missing something I doubt he actually has a condition that needs medical marijuana but like an "anxiety disorder"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

pentyne posted:

Even with a medical card a cookie jar full of weed is probably too much.

Not to mention offering to share it with guests.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

monster on a stick posted:

What was with the tents though? Who wants to stay in a tent right outside a lodge?

My 4-year-old saw that and noticed that the tents have no bathrooms, and helpfully informed us that the people that stayed in them would just pee in the grass.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

patb01 posted:

Usually medical marijuana has a limit to how much you can have, not sure about Oregon.

Besides unless I'm missing something I doubt he actually has a condition that needs medical marijuana but like an "anxiety disorder"

Well, his cookie jar of weed and "Bud Hut" being broadcast on national television would be a good source of anxiety.

Mythias
Jun 5, 2003

"I don't know if bestiality is illegal (it should be), but if so, I was underage at the time and I'm sure
In Oregon someone with a medical card is allowed to have up to 1.5 lbs of weed at any given time. They also can designate someone to be their caretaker and keep up to 1.5 lbs of more weed for them in a different location. That's not including up to 6 adult plants. 1.5lbs of weed is quite a lot. A half pound takes up most of a large freezer ziploc bag.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Brocktoon posted:

It's been mentioned before that Masterchef takes forever to film, so sometimes food ends up cold by the time the judges eat it. However, the judges often do tasting right as things finish so they can make decisions before that.

At least that's how it worked on Masterchef Australia.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So after the "fun" episode of Hotel Hell, we get another "sad" episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

surf rock posted:

Bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit

Francis had better cook himself back on whenever that episode happens.

Both Francises.