Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

PFlats posted:

Overcast backs up all of your episodes to iCloud and put me over my storage limit.

This was a bug in 1.0 that should be fixed already in 1.0.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I pulled a spreadsheet off of google drive the app and put it in Numbers as an excel file awhile ago. I can't find the button to do it again, is it still possible? How?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

People have been saying this poo poo for months now in this thread and I don't even see a hint of it on my devices.

I got a notice about it being removed on my phone but that's for the Android version. On the iPad nothing has happened.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Diabolik900 posted:

This was a bug in 1.0 that should be fixed already in 1.0.1.

ChetReckless posted:

I think that was changed in the 1.0.1 update so that nothing gets put into iCloud. Episode state is already tied to your Overcast account.

I see that in the patch notes, but it's still taking up over a gig for me.

edit: apparently flicking the Overcast switch off and back on in backup settings solved that.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Does anyone know of an mp3 editor for iPad that can handle large files? I need to crop down some mp3s that are like 4 hours long and over 100 MBs. Don't wanna go buying some app that's just gonna crash when I try to open a big file. I have an iPad Air.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

Out of curiosity what car do you have? Mine didn't work for my car (the way it's supposed to) and updating the thing seems drat near impossible. Apparently it involves going on Facebook and begging the company for a serial number to install their update program.
2008 Mini with the (BMW?) dock to USB+audio minijack cable. Have you searched reviews on Amazon or car forums to see if others have the same problems?

Skeezy posted:

I got a notice about it being removed on my phone but that's for the Android version. On the iPad nothing has happened.
I've been getting some note or splash screen about it for a while it feels like. It's almost like an empty threat cause they've been doing it for however long. "Try the new messages app, it's even more convenient! It has more new features! You better switch cause we're pulling it out of the main app! It'll be better because it's separate and can update without being bogged down by the piece of poo poo main app!"

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone know of a good sleeping app? I'm looking for something to play sounds. I enjoy rain, fireplaces, a little bit of nature and an odd one, planets (like Jupiter, Mars, Venus). Apparently they aren't really sounds of space (no sound in space, duh) but some sort of electromagnetic magic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want to see a sleep app sneak in EVP. Perhaps as a Halloween prank?

That could be pretty loving scary actually.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like Sleep Cycle, but you need to not mind stashing your phone under the sheets every night.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

obi_ant posted:

Anyone know of a good sleeping app? I'm looking for something to play sounds. I enjoy rain, fireplaces, a little bit of nature and an odd one, planets (like Jupiter, Mars, Venus). Apparently they aren't really sounds of space (no sound in space, duh) but some sort of electromagnetic magic.

I've been a fan of White Noise

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Noisli has a pretty good selection of sounds (white noise/nature/fire/waves/coffee shop/etc.) and you can layer the sounds on top of each other for mega++ sleeping.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

I like Sleep Cycle, but you need to not mind stashing your phone under the sheets every night.

You can also just leave it on a nightstand of you don't want the sleep tracking/intelligent alarm features (which is what I do most of the time tbh.)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

obi_ant posted:

This is a new one that has been getting some good reviews around the web: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/muji-to-sleep/id893570078?mt=8

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

japtor posted:

2008 Mini with the (BMW?) dock to USB+audio minijack cable. Have you searched reviews on Amazon or car forums to see if others have the same problems?
Yes i've seen people with problems but none with my car and nothing about if they tried updating the firmware or not.

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008
Does anyone here use SyncPass to access their KeePass database on iOS? It's stopped working for me in the past few days, the app just crashes on startup, and their website doesn't load for me. I can't find anything on Twitter or Facebook so I'm a bit stumped. Shame if it's gone because it was by far the best app for this I had found (and I tried a lot of them!).

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Eight Is Legend posted:

This is a new one that has been getting some good reviews around the web: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/muji-to-sleep/id893570078?mt=8

Um..what?

quote:

Safety Precautions
This app uses special Binaural beat sounds. Those under the category below, please refrain from using the app.
・Please refrain from using if you are suffering from heart problems (especially if you are using a pacemaker) or Epileptic seizures.
・Please refrain from using when you are not in a good condition of health.
・Please stop using immediately if you feel any changes in your health condition (such as feeling sick).
・Please do not use when you are driving or operating machinery.
For 10 years old and above.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

xzzy posted:

It doesn't need to go under your sheets. I just put mine beside my pillow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

status posted:

It doesn't need to go under your sheets. I just put mine beside my pillow.

Doesn't work if you're a restless sleeper, I always wake up with it on the floor. :v:

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

My only complaint about Sleep Cycle is that I feel like its stats could be more useful. The percentage seems random and the graphs don't really reveal anything I didn't already know. If it charted how long it took me to fall asleep, how my sleep changes based on the sleep I got the night before, and so on, that would be neat.

As an alarm clock though, I love it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A warning about side-effects makes a placebo/snake oil look more credible.

Binaural beats probably do something, but not all the wondrous things advertized by apps containing them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Best I can think of is disorientation like spatial audio cues not matching other sensory cues and messing with your head or something.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a iOS recommended equivalent to inSSIDer?

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

teraflame posted:

Are there any decent apps that let me cast pictures or video from my camera roll to Chromecast?

this'd be possible but doesn't quite fit with the chromecast model (your phone would wind up being both the caster and the 'receiver', i.e. thing that the chromecast device talks to to get the data to display). most chromecast stuff has the receiver being something in the cloud; having it be your device is unusual. not to say it couldn't happen, though, it's just an odd fit and i'm not sure anyone's going to bother (all that said - this could be a fun starter app for someone wanting to mess around with iOS development as a hobby, it should be easy enough)

anyway, comedy option: how much can you put up with G+ :q:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

obi_ant posted:

I'm a big fan of Storm Sim. It has some presets, or you can make your own soundtrack by layering various rain, thunder, water, wind, and animal sounds and setting how often they should go and how loud. All the randomization makes it constantly change so you're never subconsciously waiting for that one recognizable part of a sound loop -- which throws me off on most white noise programs.

If I remember correctly, it's goon made, too.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

terre packet posted:

Is there a iOS recommended equivalent to inSSIDer?

Maybe if you jailbreak. Private frameworks are needed to do that sort of thing, so they never make it into the App Store.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Went to the dentist for my cleaning yesterday. Promised to do better about flossing. Are there any apps that can help me not fail at this, like I've failed every other time?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

smackfu posted:

Went to the dentist for my cleaning yesterday. Promised to do better about flossing. Are there any apps that can help me not fail at this, like I've failed every other time?

Send a reminder for 8:00AM that repeats every day telling you to floss.

e: I could've phrased that better, but whatever.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

smackfu posted:

Put your floss in front of your toothbrush or something. Apparently you should be flossing first anyways.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Yeah I got into flossing every day by using Lift. It does that whole "Seinfeld Method" thing where you create a streak of events and feel like breaking the streak is more of a barrier than doing the activity.

Also some author recommended some sort of baby steps thing with expectations. Like rather than phrasing the daily goal as "floss", make it "floss one tooth". For some reason that helped me get to the actual flossing if I was super tired and then I'd do one tooth and realize that there was no reason not to just do my whole mouth, even though I was aware that the "just one tooth" thing was a dumb trick.

The psychology of habits is very interesting. I've been meaning to read "The Power of Habit" for awhile.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tuyop posted:

Yeah I got into flossing every day by using Lift. It does that whole "Seinfeld Method" thing where you create a streak of events and feel like breaking the streak is more of a barrier than doing the activity.

Also some author recommended some sort of baby steps thing with expectations. Like rather than phrasing the daily goal as "floss", make it "floss one tooth". For some reason that helped me get to the actual flossing if I was super tired and then I'd do one tooth and realize that there was no reason not to just do my whole mouth, even though I was aware that the "just one tooth" thing was a dumb trick.

The psychology of habits is very interesting. I've been meaning to read "The Power of Habit" for awhile.

Just read one word a day!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just tried to sign up for Spotify Premium in the app, and it brought up an App Store prompt asking me if I want to pay $12.99 for Premium. If I go to Spotify's website, Premium is 9.99.

I know Apple takes a chunk out of any sales that go through ios apps, but I thought they had a provision that said prices for things like this had to be the same in the app as they were elsewhere. Is that no longer the case?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know Apple takes a chunk out of any sales that go through ios apps, but I thought they had a provision that said prices for things like this had to be the same in the app as they were elsewhere. Is that no longer the case?

According to this they changed that policy in June of 2011. (For all I know it could have flip-flopped a bunch of times since then.)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Holy poo poo itunes for windows is the most fantastical piece of poo poo software I have ever seen. I just tried it out on a Mac for the first time ever today and it's no wonder Mac users think it's worth their time to bring up itunes in threads all the time. This version is such garbage in retrospect I can't go back.

Can this thread recommend good alternatives? Ideally it's a single program, like itunes, but I will try out single function alternatives. I just need a whole package replacement so I can get as far away as possible.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Holy poo poo itunes for windows is the most fantastical piece of poo poo software I have ever seen. I just tried it out on a Mac for the first time ever today and it's no wonder Mac users think it's worth their time to bring up itunes in threads all the time. This version is such garbage in retrospect I can't go back.

Can this thread recommend good alternatives? Ideally it's a single program, like itunes, but I will try out single function alternatives. I just need a whole package replacement so I can get as far away as possible.

Does it have to work with your iOS devices? Because I don't think there are any alternatives if so. If not the Zune software was great, if it still exists.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iTunes is still pretty lovely on a mac, if windows itunes is 100% poo poo, mac itunes is like 60% poo poo. Prone to lots of random freezes ignoring mouse clicks as the thing constantly phones home for some trivial bit of data.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You know there's a whole iTunes thread for complaining about it?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I did not! There are so many of these for each aspect of owning an apple device. It seems I'm stuck with it, in any case.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
How are you Overcast users looking at the amount of time saved using smart speed?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Settings menu. It shows up near the bottom once you cross some threshold, maybe 15 minutes or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just looked into what smart speed is, and wouldn't that make all conversations seem really rushed through and weird? And ruin comic timing on jokes? But I guess some people listen to podcasts at 2x speed already, which I also don't understand, so maybe it's just me.

• Locked thread