Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Seconding WanderingNewbie's LP, he's one of the few people I can stand watching. He also had a fun co-op run of Demon's Souls on his channel as well.

I have up on Kay's DS2 run after really liking her DS1 vids, but I've heard her DeS run is better. Might have to check it out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What's the average soul memory of someone who has beaten the main game + the dlc?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What's the average soul memory of someone who has beaten the main game + the dlc?
Really hard to peg given that people can lose souls or skip things or whatever. The best thing I could imagine is a minimum soul memory, which would just be the souls given by each boss totaled up. I haven't actually counted that but you can probably do it with the wikis.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Genocyber posted:

It's funny since she even blames the game for the stuff she is just outright doing wrong, such as missing with the big weapons.

Her point about large weapons is totally valid though? Large weapons letting you aim while locked on is loving weird. It's great once you get used to it, but she doesn't like that it works that way.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Seconding WanderingNewbie's LP, he's one of the few people I can stand watching. He also had a fun co-op run of Demon's Souls on his channel as well.

I have up on Kay's DS2 run after really liking her DS1 vids, but I've heard her DeS run is better. Might have to check it out soon.

Unless you literally hate DS2 you probably shouldn't watch her DS2 LP since you'll be tearing your hair out at all her whining about things that either: 1) Were completely her fault or 2) Were exactly the same in DS1. Her DeS run is better since she's actually having fun, but as I said earlier she keeps going on completely out of the left field diatribes on how it's okay for DeS to do things a certain way but wrong for DS2 to do the exact same thing.

I'll definitely check out WanderingNewbie's LP! Has it been posted anywhere? I can't remember hearing about it until now.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Talking about how 100% of Demon's Souls bosses can be cheesed makes me want to just do a cheese run of it. Poison and geometry exploits for now and for always!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I'll definitely check out WanderingNewbie's LP! Has it been posted anywhere? I can't remember hearing about it until now.

He plugged it once or twice in #Fromgoons when he was doing it, I think. Here's the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA22rmw-pBw

Also checking his channel I just realized he did some blind videos of the DLC. :toot:

For another recommendation, this guy is decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wPcsSn_pg

He goes fairly slow and doesn't do much editing (hence the long-rear end videos) but he tends to be fairly chill. I use his videos as background noise when playinh poo poo, usually.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm going to have so much background entertainment now :dance:
Really glad I asked the thread!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

Unless you literally hate DS2 you probably shouldn't watch her DS2 LP since you'll be tearing your hair out at all her whining about things that either: 1) Were completely her fault or 2) Were exactly the same in DS1. Her DeS run is better since she's actually having fun, but as I said earlier she keeps going on completely out of the left field diatribes on how it's okay for DeS to do things a certain way but wrong for DS2 to do the exact same thing.

This is mostly par for the course for a lot of people, she probably decided she hated it before she even started playing (because it was popular, being contrarian, ect) so to her no matter how good the game is or how similar it is to demon souls for her it will be awful.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Well I pulled a lever in a building and now I apparently can't get one of the strongest pyromancies in the game. :darksouls:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Well I pulled a lever in a building and now I apparently can't get one of the strongest pyromancies in the game. :darksouls:

Yeah well maybe you should have read the signs, idiot

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

Yeah well maybe you should have read the signs, idiot

Maybe he, like Kay, refuses to read messages (even developer messages) just because. :downs:

....That said I feel like I might sound too harsh on Kay in this thread. Her LP of DS was the most awesome thing ever, so that one is definitely recommended to everyone.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Your Computer posted:

Maybe he, like Kay, refuses to read messages (even developer messages) just because. :downs:

I think some loving idiots convinced her that messages are largely spoilers and not, y'know, largely jokes and/or lies.

I feel like she relaxed on that a little bit with Demon's Souls, but she still mostly ignores them, which sucks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a good completionist/expert LP run where the player is methodical and actually experiments with builds? Even ENB just stuck to mostly one type of character and pretty much didn't do any optional content.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there a good completionist/expert LP run where the player is methodical and actually experiments with builds? Even ENB just stuck to mostly one type of character and pretty much didn't do any optional content.

A German Spy did a run with like 9 separate builds in NG+, switching builds each video.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is Kay the one with the irritating voice that freaked the gently caress out over her 'controller' when she couldn't beat Gwynn?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Is Kay the one with the irritating voice that freaked the gently caress out over her 'controller' when she couldn't beat Gwynn?

Can't remember that, she killed him with a parry. Been a while since I watched it though :shrug:
Voices being irritating or not is very subjective.

Speaking of LP'ing DS2 though, does anyone get the puzzle in Earthen Peak? As someone who has played too many video games, it's kinda obvious that if you can't find the solution to a problem, the torch is probably the way, since it's new and all. It's like, why would they introduce the torch if it didn't actually do anything. I think I've seen like 4 LP'ers banging their face against a wall, fighting Mytha in the poison for hours and getting angrier and angrier about "the game being total bullshit". I was so frustrated when Kay figured the connection that 'machinery = possibly pumping poison?' while still not understanding that windmill powers machinery. It's a common thread too, lots of people figure out that the machinery probably has something to do with the poison, but somehow no-one seems to get that windmills are basically crude power-plants. Once you get that far, it's literally just a matter of "huh, I can't interact with this.. maybe try the new thing the game implemented?"

"Git gud" rant over :goonsay:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I read lots of messages and I'm pretty sure I didn't see anything that scared me off from pulling it

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Gary Butterfield of Bonfireside Chat is currently doing Whipfest and it's been pretty entertaining.

Here's part one.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Beard Yawn posted:

Gary Butterfield of Bonfireside Chat is currently doing Whipfest and it's been pretty entertaining.

Here's part one.

Oh poo poo, I forgot about his runs despite liking them a lot. His perma-gravelorded, sorcery only run of DS1 was a lot of fun as well.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Your Computer posted:

I was so frustrated when Kay figured the connection that 'machinery = possibly pumping poison?' while still not understanding that windmill powers machinery. It's a common thread too, lots of people figure out that the machinery probably has something to do with the poison, but somehow no-one seems to get that windmills are basically crude power-plants. Once you get that far, it's literally just a matter of "huh, I can't interact with this.. maybe try the new thing the game implemented?"
The only really fair critique of that I've seen is that it's not entirely obvious you can walk up that little rubble slide to the windmill shaft and that it's not intuitive that setting the shaft of the windmill on fire would set the blades on fire as well, and the cloth blades are obviously what ends up burning and causing the windmill to stop. So I can understand people throwing firebombs or pyromancies at the windmill and getting no result concluding that it doesn't work.

The torch is the solution to a large amount of bullshit in the game though, like the "invisible" dropoffs in the Shrine of Amana water that are perfectly obvious if you've got a torch lit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Can't remember that, she killed him with a parry. Been a while since I watched it though :shrug:

Speaking of LP'ing DS2 though, does anyone get the puzzle in Earthen Peak? As someone who has played too many video games, it's kinda obvious that if you can't find the solution to a problem, the torch is probably the way, since it's new and all. It's like, why would they introduce the torch if it didn't actually do anything. I think I've seen like 4 LP'ers banging their face against a wall, fighting Mytha in the poison for hours and getting angrier and angrier about "the game being total bullshit". I was so frustrated when Kay figured the connection that 'machinery = possibly pumping poison?' while still not understanding that windmill powers machinery. It's a common thread too, lots of people figure out that the machinery probably has something to do with the poison, but somehow no-one seems to get that windmills are basically crude power-plants. Once you get that far, it's literally just a matter of "huh, I can't interact with this.. maybe try the new thing the game implemented?"

That puzzle is really unintuitive in the context of this game though and there is nothing else similar in the game at all. I shot the windmill with a fireball after seeing a few "Try fire" messages and it didn't work so I just ignored it.

Of course, I managed to beat Mytha on my first time while in the poison. It just took a while and a lot of lifegems. If I had gotten stuck there I probably would have gotten the puzzle eventually(or I would have just googled it).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Your Computer posted:

I"m going to be embarrassed and as former tester of the game, it took me a bit to figure out. Mostly due to the fact the torch mechanics weren't that implement that much. I pretty much brutal method by having common fruits and life gems against Mytha. I know I should be observant but when you tested the game for so long, you tend to forget the small details. ( I did test this game for almost a year so it felt like going through the motions) I mean as you said when I burned the windmill, it clicked. I was actually looking for a lever or something for the longest. Like it was behind a hidden wall or something.

Also no dont' ask about me about the transition between EP and IK. WE even don't' know that. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

So I can understand people throwing firebombs or pyromancies at the windmill and getting no result concluding that it doesn't work.

Andrast posted:

I shot the windmill with a fireball after seeing a few "Try fire" messages and it didn't work so I just ignored it.

This is the thing I really don't understand though. I've seen so many people throw firebombs at something (even sconces) and going "huh well I guess I can't light that", while completely ignoring that the game literally invented a torch solely for that purpose! I've seen multiple people going up to the oil-filled chutes at the Lost Sinner, throwing a firebomb and going "why would they put two rooms here behind locked doors that do literally nothing" :doh:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Your Computer posted:

This is the thing I really don't understand though. I've seen so many people throw firebombs at something (even sconces) and going "huh well I guess I can't light that", while completely ignoring that the game literally invented a torch solely for that purpose! I've seen multiple people going up to the oil-filled chutes at the Lost Sinner, throwing a firebomb and going "why would they put two rooms here behind locked doors that do literally nothing" :doh:
To be honest with you I'm not sure why I can't just use my Pyromancy Hand to light sconces.

I get what you're saying but the issue is that the puzzle requires burning something but only one kind of fire works. Once you realize it's the torch itself that solves puzzles and not "fire" it becomes easier to figure out how to use the torch for stuff, but from a purely intuitive standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense why a burning stick lights a thing on fire but a magical fireball or clay orb full of oil does not.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The game wants you to set fire to something that looks metallic, so something that's made of cloth will suddenly burst into flame. At no other point are you able to do anything like this especially when it's that important.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

This puzzle probably suffers from the fact that the better lighting engine was removed. At that point of the game, I had never used a torch because there had been no places where I felt like I needed one. As a result using a torch didn't even cross my mind there.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Andrast posted:

This puzzle probably suffers from the fact that the better lighting engine was removed. At that point of the game, I had never used a torch because there had been no places where I felt like I needed one. As a result using a torch didn't even cross my mind there.

It also makes sense that firebombs or pyromancy would be able to light that part up as well. You know, stuff that's actually useful. Opposed to torches.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
A funny thing is that the fire on the torch and bonfires is Weird Fire and only seems to light bones and specific kinds of resins, according to the description of the torch you get sometimes in loading screens.

Which honestly just makes the fact that it can light the windmill on fire weirder. :downs:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Andrast posted:

I was gonna actually point this out. Yeah the torches were really not used well at all. Most of the game it was never dark so I never bothered to use them at all because I could see easily.

Hell I could see the Last Sinner easily, so it never occurred to me to use a Torch. At all.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I don't get why everyone keeps calling ti the "better" lighting engine. The moment I saw it I was like "wow, that looks obnoxious and tedious as poo poo, I really hope they use it in extreme moderation. That poo poo was only tolerable in the Tomb of Giants because it takes less than a minute to clear."

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The intuition you're supposed to have is "since they put the torch into this game, I should try using the torch on things." And this usually always works for whatever is perplexing you. The problem is that they try to make the torch-related puzzles "realistic," meaning they rely on the torch being a source of flame (which is at odds with the fact that lots of other things produce flame) or on the torch being a source of light. When the puzzle is light-related, such as the Shrine of Amana water, the torch thing makes perfect sense and works identically to Cast Light. The opposite is true of flame-related puzzles, where Combustion can't light the Lost Sinner oil on fire but a torch can.

Again, it makes sense if you follow the logic of "this is a new feature, so the new feature is probably what solves puzzles," but people get confused because the actual action you take is somewhat unintuitive or inconsistent in function.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I was so frustrated when Kay figured the connection that 'machinery = possibly pumping poison?' while still not understanding that windmill powers machinery. It's a common thread too, lots of people figure out that the machinery probably has something to do with the poison, but somehow no-one seems to get that windmills are basically crude power-plants. Once you get that far, it's literally just a matter of "huh, I can't interact with this.. maybe try the new thing the game implemented?"

It takes quite the leap of logic to go from "Hey this machinery's probably powering a pump, maybe I can do something about that" and "I should cross this lethal drop with a barely visible foothold and attempt to set fire to the windmill shaft that looks like it's made of metal". I tried to set fire to the blades directly from the platform and when I couldn't do it I assumed it couldn't be done.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shindragon posted:

I"m going to be embarrassed and as former tester of the game, it took me a bit to figure out. Mostly due to the fact the torch mechanics weren't that implement that much. I pretty much brutal method by having common fruits and life gems against Mytha. I know I should be observant but when you tested the game for so long, you tend to forget the small details. ( I did test this game for almost a year so it felt like going through the motions) I mean as you said when I burned the windmill, it clicked. I was actually looking for a lever or something for the longest. Like it was behind a hidden wall or something.

Also no dont' ask about me about the transition between EP and IK. WE even don't' know that. :v:

Could you tell any more tales from your time testing the game? :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

It also makes sense that firebombs or pyromancy would be able to light that part up as well. You know, stuff that's actually useful. Opposed to torches.

Andrast posted:

Nakar posted:

To be honest with you I'm not sure why I can't just use my Pyromancy Hand to light sconces.

I absolutely agree 100% with all of this, but it still seems like a really weird thing to not even try. With the emphasis on light/fire it would absolutely make sense to have other things affect it than just torches (I would go as far as to think that fire-infused weapons should count), but considering that From went out of their way to (hamfistedly) include a Torch as a core game mechanic, I can't believe how many people never even attempt to use it to solve their problems. I feel like it's lovely game design, but Game Design 101 nonetheless.

It's like you tried playing Super Mario Sunshine and get confused why you can't do stuff without even trying to use the F.L.U.D.D. that the game introduced.

e:

Nakar posted:

Again, it makes sense if you follow the logic of "this is a new feature, so the new feature is probably what solves puzzles," but people get confused because the actual action you take is somewhat unintuitive or inconsistent in function.
This... I guess. It just perplexes me that people don't follow that logic. (Perhaps I'm too ingrained in video game logic)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 5, 2014

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Flytrap posted:

I don't get why everyone keeps calling ti the "better" lighting engine. The moment I saw it I was like "wow, that looks obnoxious and tedious as poo poo, I really hope they use it in extreme moderation. That poo poo was only tolerable in the Tomb of Giants because it takes less than a minute to clear."

They call it better because it IS better. The brightness of the ambient light and light sources is a different matter. You could easily have the game be around as bright it is now while having those better lighting effects.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Your Computer posted:

I absolutely agree 100% with all of this, but it still seems like a really weird thing to not even try.

A lot of people did try and either slipped off the very small incline or just didn't get the prompt. You're weirdly defensive about this.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

A lot of people did try and either slipped off the very small incline or just didn't get the prompt. You're weirdly defensive about this.

I'm sorry, it's just a pet peeve :shobon:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I set fire to the windmill because a message told me to and I had no idea what it actually did because I hadn't tried the boss before that. I spent a long time searching for what setting it on fire actually did :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Genocyber posted:

Could you tell any more tales from your time testing the game? :allears:

Oh here's a good one. We had to figure out Darklurker for ourselves. The only clue we had was find an "old man". I was one of the first to find him and yeah that took a while.

I never did beat Darklurker on my first try but that is because I was doing a melee test run. Everyone else had different varieties. We had some who were pure mage builds, some who were pure fist builds, some who just ran around naked with no armor and just a katana (aka the dex build as I like to call it)

I fought Vendrick before I knew about the Giant Souls weakness.

YEAAAAAAAH. Took me a good thirty minutes. My hands were shaking like hell. I wanted to bug that was way too much for a player because of the time consumption and that his defense is way too high.

That is when they told us about the Giant Souls. :v:

It took me almost like half the day because I would get one shoted. So yeah you can say that I'm one of those, I"m gonna brutal method and I will find a way to do this unlike how the game intended me to do it.

Except the Shrine.

gently caress that place. (yeah I had to test the PRE NERF one)

edit: Actually let me summarize. We never had an advantage if there was any notion. From didn't ever tell us anything. We had to figure out everything. (traps, ambushes, hidden walls, every item)

Ah the first time I learn there was a metal mimic.

That sucked. hahahah.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 5, 2014