Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

hhhat posted:

The logical conclusion of everything they've been saying up till this point... I'm worried for them that they might have blown their load though.

Suppose they can still do an encore with 'war on men' 'war on rich people' and 'war on hypocrites'

They've been doing the class warfare (rick santorum doing that haves and soon to be haves bullshit) thing for awhile now even though it's more of a one sided class slaughter at this point.

Joementum posted:

He later doubled down.

":qq: Why do these mean Democrats keep bringing up race?!? :qq:" ~ a man who said multiple times today that there is a race war going on.

zoux posted:

These immigrant kids probably have Ebola, says Indiana Republican.

Also I understand that each of these children actually hides a spooooky skeleton inside of them! Be afraid of children!!

Just want to put these two quotes together for maximum irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

comes along bort posted:

In which a couple immigrants meet a dipshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI8rCleTbSo

Also Rand Paul wisely bolts immediately.

quote:

Paul was quickly whisked away from the table by an aide and even left his food behind as Andiola handed her DACA card to King and offered to let him to rip it up.

Paul missed the entire testy exchange. The aide who led Paul away from the activists, Sergio Gor, told the National Journal in an email that the senator "had a media avail after the event and that's where we had to be."

"I suddenly have a meeting I must attend!" As usual, libertarians show their true cowardice when confronted by the people their policies effect.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I remember when Rick Santorum told us that Real Americans shouldn't use terms like "Middle Class" because that's Marxist talk.

"The Governor [Mitt Romney] used a term earlier that I shrink from, and it’s one that I don’t think we should be using as Republicans: “Middle class.” There are no classes in America. We’re a country that don’t allow for titles. We don’t put people in classes. Maybe middle income people. But the idea, somehow or another, that we’re going to buy into the class warfare arguments of Barack Obama is something that should not be part of the Republican lexicon. That’s their job. Divide. Separate. Put one group against another. That’s not the language I’ll use as president."

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Man Rand Paul practically choked when that lady said she was a DREAMer.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Sir Tonk posted:

"I suddenly have a meeting I must attend!" As usual, libertarians show their true cowardice when confronted by the people their policies effect.

Yeah man, you totally showed those libtardarians. :smuggo:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Is it free to play? What kind of things can I purchase with the in-app currency?

Cadillacs.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

This is SOP for any politician of any political stripe when confronted by a potentially unpleasant situation, so I don't fault Paul for it. It lets you exit semi-gracefully without saying "I don't want to talk to you," while doing it in a way that they can't really challenge (what, they going to say you don't have a meeting?)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kalman posted:

This is SOP for any politician of any political stripe when confronted by a potentially unpleasant situation, so I don't fault Paul for it. It lets you exit semi-gracefully without saying "I don't want to talk to you," while doing it in a way that they can't really challenge (what, they going to say you don't have a meeting?)

Yeah because otherwise you end up with

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kalman posted:

True, but you usually don't nearly choke mid-bite in your sandwich when someone says who they are then immediately hop up and split.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

comes along bort posted:

In which a couple immigrants meet a dipshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI8rCleTbSo

Also Rand Paul wisely bolts immediately.

I like how he keeps asking her if she understands English despite her talking to him in English. What a nice guy that Steve King is.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It seems Fox News, Breitbart, The Blaze have set their angle on immigrants not only being an economic menace but now a carrier of every virus and pest that exists. Is it being too optimistic in hoping that the actions from these people and the draconian immigration bill they tried to pass will backfire on them when it comes to not only the hispanic voting block but blocks from people who are disgusted by this behavior?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It seems Fox News, Breitbart, The Blaze have set their angle on immigrants not only being an economic menace but now a carrier of every virus and pest that exists. Is it being too optimistic in hoping that the actions from these people and the draconian immigration bill they tried to pass will backfire on them when it comes to not only the hispanic voting block but blocks from people who are disgusted by this behavior?

Put it this way - this is likely a major reason of why the Democrats have decent odds to keep the Senate.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's only August. They have 3 more months to keep loving that chicken.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

computer parts posted:

Put it this way - this is likely a major reason of why the Democrats have decent odds to keep the Senate.

Nate Silver has the odds of Republicans flipping the Senate at 60%.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

computer parts posted:

Not that decent. It's looking worse by the day and that kind of blatant racism will probably help them pick up seats in the house.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Nate Silver has the odds of Republicans flipping the Senate at 60%.

And if you actually read the article:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republican-gop-senate-forecast/

quote:

Summing the probabilities of each race yields an estimate of 51 seats3 for Republicans. That makes them very slight favorites — perhaps somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-40 — to take control of the Senate, but also doesn’t leave them much room for error. This bottom line is not much changed from our forecasts in June or in March (or even the one we issued last July).

The outlook in some races has changed — but most of these changes are minor. At this point in the cycle, I’d be suspicious of a large swing in a forecast in the absence of some precipitating event. Most voters are not paying much attention to the campaigns yet — in 2010, Google search traffic for the term “midterm elections” was only about one-sixth as high in August as in October. Furthermore, many important races lack high-quality polling. Apparent shifts may reflect pollster “house effects” — or statistical noise. After Labor Day, polling changes will be more likely to reflect true changes in voter sentiment.

If there's any upset on the R side that could well lose it all for them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The senate looks fine.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The conventional wisdom is that minorities don't turn out in the midterms, and blatant appeals to white nativism work to boost turnout among the traditional Republican constituency (the Sailer Strategy).

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

computer parts posted:

And if you actually read the article:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republican-gop-senate-forecast/

If there's any upset on the R side that could well lose it all for them.

I thought that earlier he was saying there was something much higher, like 80 percent? Or was that a while back, and then Republicans did A Things?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
A 2 star general was killed in an insider attack in Afghanistan this morning.

Highest ranking death in the wars so far.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/0...&_r=0&referrer=

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

I thought that earlier he was saying there was something much higher, like 80 percent? Or was that a while back, and then Republicans did A Things?

That was the Monkey Cage model, which was based off fundamentals. And Upshot, based off polling, has had it in the low 50s for a while

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

A 2 star general was killed in an insider attack in Afghanistan this morning.

Highest ranking death in the wars so far.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/0...&_r=0&referrer=

When was the last time a US General was killed by an enemy? ACW?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

We lost four or five in Vietnam.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Winner is Jew posted:

Argo was a decent movie. But as others have said, it's only when the CIA fucks up that we actually know about what they do, and people always remember fuckups way longer than successes.

When your "fuckups" include overthrowing the government of Iran and installing a puppet leading to the rise of Islamists, overthrowing the government of Guatemala and installing a brutal military dictatorship leading to a 30 year civil war, overthrowing the government of Brazil and installing a military dictatorship, overthrowing the government of Chile and installing a military dictatorship, attempting but failing to use brutal death squads to overthrow the government in Nicaragua, failing to anticipate the Iranian revolution against their own puppet, failing to anticipate the collapse of the Soviet Union despite the USSR being essentially the reason the CIA exists, torturing prisoners, performing covert experimentation on US citizens, and trafficking cocaine no amount of "well you just don't know about the good stuff" can compensate. The CIA is a fundamentally corrupt and dangerous organization and should be dissolved.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stultus Maximus posted:

When your "fuckups" include overthrowing the government of Iran and installing a puppet leading to the rise of Islamists,

*Saudi Arabia goes unnoticed*

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maybe they have a secret suicide squad that's saved the world from Zombie Hitler twenty times you can't know for sure!

Someone effectively made that argument to me during the NSA leak that there is secret stuff that we can't possibly know so we can't judge the intelligence agencies actions lest we all die in suitcase nuke explosions or super virus outbreaks that surely they are stopping every day. That wasn't hyperbole by the way, he used those examples.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Watching Steve King get completely pushed into a corner and challenging his anti-immigrant beliefs made my day

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Radish posted:

Maybe they have a secret suicide squad that's saved the world from Zombie Hitler twenty times you can't know for sure!

Someone effectively made that argument to me during the NSA leak that there is secret stuff that we can't possibly know so we can't judge the intelligence agencies actions lest we all die in suitcase nuke explosions or super virus outbreaks that surely they are stopping every day. That wasn't hyperbole by the way, he used those examples.

Or, like, terrorists flying planes into skyscrapers. I bet the CIA would find out about that sort of thing and stop it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Or, like, terrorists flying planes into skyscrapers. I bet the CIA would find out about that sort of thing and stop it.

That stupid 1947 security act prevented the proper agencies from working together. :newt:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Watching Steve King get completely pushed into a corner and challenging his anti-immigrant beliefs made my day

He didn't back down though, he was just as much of a piece of poo poo to her face as he is on TV. Gotta respect that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

WW2 i believe. Killed during the breakout of the bochage by friendly bombers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pengun101 posted:

WW2 i believe. Killed during the breakout of the bochage by friendly bombers.

Enemy friendly bombers :raise:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

Frenemy bombers are truly the worst.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

General Maurice Rose was killed by enemy action in 1945 and several admirals were killed the Pacific theater.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I can't watch the video now, is it just Paul and King getting shown up or is there something especially terrible in there?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

Basically they dropped the bombs on the wrong positions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesley_J._McNair

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

People freak out about friendly fire these days, but compared to how it was before omnipresent radio it's levels have been reduced so much it's amazing.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Except they did have indications of an imminent attack, briefed the president on it, and Bush didn't give a poo poo. What were they supposed to do, take unilateral actions to run down leads and halt it anyways? That's the behavior you are decrying.

That we have liberals bending over backwards ignoring proof to whitewash Bush because it's more convenient to blame the current target of their ire is one of the most stupefying things about the discourse under the Obama administration.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The GOP's got a good shot at the Senate in 2014, but aren't the first wave of Tea Party Senators coming up en masse for reelection in 2016? That could be a bloodbath if the Democrats can- hahahaha, sorry! Forgot who I was talking about!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

The CIA is a fundamentally corrupt and dangerous organization and should be dissolved.

I completely agree with you. :confused:

I wasn't defending the CIA as a whole, I was mostly answering someone asking what good things the CIA has done. I think the current list is like 3 that we know about and a whole hell of a lot of monumental gently caress-ups so yeah, disband the gently caress out of them because they have proven themselves useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fried Chicken posted:

That we have liberals bending over backwards ignoring proof to whitewash Bush because it's more convenient to blame the current target of their ire is one of the most stupefying things about the discourse under the Obama administration.
Sometimes I think the collective problem here is really just an overgrown "to be fair" reflex. The other folks, of course, don't have it.

• Locked thread