Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Ravendas posted:

I'm making a Necromunda table. I bought an 8'x4' sheet of MDF hardboard at a Home Depot here, and had him cut it in half for a 4'x4' table top, then the remaining half into 12" strips. It's very flat and smooth, and should be just fine on a 3'x3' table. I think I might make myself one of those tables posted a few posts up there. Either that, or just a supporting rim around it to keep it straight and steady when I place it on a card table.

The remaining 12" strips were further cut up by myself into 4", 6", 8" and 12" squares for the bases for terrain. Really awesome material for that.
Would you happen to be talking about these 8'x4' MDF panels? It seems like a great surface for under $15. Is it true that it act like a massive whiteboard? Does it seem like it holds up on its own or will it need a backing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Paolomania posted:

Would you happen to be talking about these 8'x4' MDF panels? It seems like a great surface for under $15. Is it true that it act like a massive whiteboard? Does it seem like it holds up on its own or will it need a backing?

It's 3/16" thick so I imagine it needs a decent amount of bracing if it's not laid on top of a table.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Also be wary of storing it resting it up on one side without bracing, it'll warp over time. Bane of my existence that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
BATTLEZONE POST!!!!

I decided to try showing off what you can do with mixed sets. I found out some interesting tidbits. Here is a reinforced radio tower for you.

I was able to take advantage of the Urban, Defense Line, Fortified, and Landing Pad sets in this one piece. However, it was not without some difficulty.

Lessons Learned:

1- Fortified wall panels have these massive rivets in them, and half of it is thicker than the rest. This makes it so those corner braces are IMPOSSIBLE to fit onto the corners of two Fortified wall panels. You just can't do it without shearing off a couple of the rivets and accepting that either the top or the bottom is not going to be flush with the panel. Other panels are very easy to use for this, so plan ahead and either get your flush cutters out or be prepared for disappointment if you plan to do this.

2- Two guardrails attached to the same vertex will overlap. You're going to have to cut them.

3- Connectors are actually braces that hold poo poo in place. They don't just connect things. You will want to use them on both sides of any given connection where it is possible to do so. In order to keep this whole things straight I had to use a fuckload of connectors. Buy extra connector sprues.

4- Here's the big one: The longest of the Defense Line panels is the same length as the hypotenuse of the Landing Pad triangle panel! This allows you to make more interestingly-shaped buildings, as I have below. However, if you do this, be prepared to do something with the opening you create. Regular panels won't work. I achieved my desired look by using two of the garage door side things from the Fortified set. I imagine a strider should be able to fit through there.

I'm going to continue trying to make interesting shapes, not just cubed buildings. I dislike cube buildings, and I feel like Deadzone should be able to accommodate more than cubes. I might try to make a fully suspended stage set for Deadzone, like you're fighting on a Halo map or something.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 31, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

By the way, this came up in IRC. Not trying to shill but, if any goon wants to, I am more than willing to use the parts I have to make buildings on request and sell the building as a set of parts, or assembled, or assembled + painted. I'm doing this for fun, but if I build all this terrain I'm going to end up with way more than I'll ever use at once. No price gouging or anything, I'd do a transparent breakdown of costs. I would benefit from having fun building stuff, and you can benefit by not having to buy all the different terrain sets to build what you want!

That said I'll also take requests just to see what I can make out of someone else's idea, and post that here to show you an example of what you can do with this stuff!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What style of buildings?

Like, sci-fi/industrial, fantasy, or ?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

What style of buildings?

Like, sci-fi/industrial, fantasy, or ?

These BattleZone buildings I've been posting. It's kind of expensive to make buildings that use all the different possible pieces, because you have to buy sets. And you'll probably have leftover stuff. I am saying I'll part out kits from a large collection, so people can just buy the buildings they want to make instead of having to buy a shitload of stuff they don't want.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ohhh, I get it. I don't pay attention so good. :downs:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Does anybody know of a place I can get those static grass/foliage "tufts" in bulk?

http://www.warlordgames.com/tutorial-how-to-use-army-painter-tufts/ Like this stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Numlock posted:

Does anybody know of a place I can get those static grass/foliage "tufts" in bulk?

http://www.warlordgames.com/tutorial-how-to-use-army-painter-tufts/ Like this stuff.

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/ or search for "silfor tufts" on the Googles.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Numlock posted:

As above, Silfor is a MUCH better deal than Army Painter. MUCH better.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Very good quality too in my opinion. Silflor rules

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Ahha, thanks.

I got a 15mm Soviet Infantry Battalion to base up (once of course, I finish painting them) so cheaper is better.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

signalnoise posted:

Also, if anyone is interested in buying some Hirst Arts molds, let me know. I'm not going to flood the page with a huge image so here's a link. Nevermind the bubbles, that's water from having just been washed.

http://signalnoise.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/P7190307-2.jpg

I've been...I've been hitting the plaster a little hard, guys. :ohdear:

I really like the inn molds, though!

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Signalnoise that corner piece on fortifications sprue A is definitely meant to be a door, the door part only has one connector to make it easier to remove.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Phoon posted:

Signalnoise that corner piece on fortifications sprue A is definitely meant to be a door, the door part only has one connector to make it easier to remove.

Sure, but it's an anomaly amongst the rest of the terrain. Why make this bigass door that you can only really use one way? I dont like it. You could just as easily simply not use connectors on all sides of it.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Its meant to be for a large gate into an enclosed area rather than a door into a building - it works best with two pieces. I made a pretty decent gate this way but all my stuff is boxed away at the moment due to moving.

But yeah it only really has that one specific use.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
While looking for table ideas, I saw this picture:

It looks like they made a modular table using these. It seems like this would make a durable and inexpensive play surface, if not world class in looks. Has anyone tried something similar?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

OB_Juan posted:

While looking for table ideas, I saw this picture:

It looks like they made a modular table using these. It seems like this would make a durable and inexpensive play surface, if not world class in looks. Has anyone tried something similar?

I've yet to try it myself, but I've seen a lot of similar tables using those kind of interlocking foam tiles. Seems to be a decent approach. There are plenty of tutorials out there if you look for them.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

The sci-fi fortified district Battlezone is the deal of the day at Miniature Market. I picked up a couple, not a bad price.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Anyone have a good east coast source for hydrostone for hirst arts casts? Either that or casting plastic? I'd really like to find a decent source that doesn't involve some no name store from Indiana.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Where east coast? I'm in Erie, PA, and I ordered 50 pounds of excalibur or merlin's magic or whatever the hell it was, and didn't have any trouble. It was a drop shipment so while I placed the order from wherever, it shipped directly from the manufacturer.

But if you actually live in a place that isn't a forgotten shithole, like, say, NYC, I know there are some places that carry it in an actual store you can just pick.

So yeah, all depends on whereabouts you are.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bad Munki posted:

Where east coast? I'm in Erie, PA, and I ordered 50 pounds of excalibur or merlin's magic or whatever the hell it was, and didn't have any trouble. It was a drop shipment so while I placed the order from wherever, it shipped directly from the manufacturer.

But if you actually live in a place that isn't a forgotten shithole, like, say, NYC, I know there are some places that carry it in an actual store you can just pick.

So yeah, all depends on whereabouts you are.

DC Metro area. Probably just try the links on HA for Merlin's/Excalibur.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My only problem with Merlin's Magic is that you really gotta use a hell of a lot more than ol' Hirst thinks is necessary. drat good product if you mix it thick though.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

What about casting plastic? I want to get a good set of accessories from the Cavern Accessories mold (#85) and I've had 0 luck with PoP.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Resin is expensive (compared to plaster) and the chemicals in the resin tend to dry out a mold faster. That being said, you could do it if you realize that your mold will start to crack eventually.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Resin is expensive (compared to plaster) and the chemicals in the resin tend to dry out a mold faster. That being said, you could do it if you realize that your mold will start to crack eventually.

I might for something like the fences.

On a side note I think HA actually updated their list of plaster and hydrostone suppliers cause I didn't see this one before: http://merlinsmagicplaster.com/

They even sell sample packs of all the different shades for $2: http://merlinsmagicplaster.com/product/merlins-magic-die-stone-plaster-sample/

I'll definitely get some to see if this works well enough for the particularly fragile molds.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

signalnoise posted:

Ummm 80 bucks shipped? Deescount for you actually buying the concrete floor mold
/

These arrived today. Thanks again!

Crain posted:

I might for something like the fences.

On a side note I think HA actually updated their list of plaster and hydrostone suppliers cause I didn't see this one before: http://merlinsmagicplaster.com/

They even sell sample packs of all the different shades for $2: http://merlinsmagicplaster.com/product/merlins-magic-die-stone-plaster-sample/

I'll definitely get some to see if this works well enough for the particularly fragile molds.

Relatedly I suspect I'll be placing an order with these guys soon. It took me like 10 years (:stonk: :corsair: :suicide:) to get through 20-25 lbs, but I'm nearly there.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Iris of Ether posted:

These arrived today. Thanks again!

Relatedly I suspect I'll be placing an order with these guys soon. It took me like 10 years (:stonk: :corsair: :suicide:) to get through 20-25 lbs, but I'm nearly there.

The trick I've found is to always have molds going when I've got spare time, as well as casting with a definite plan in mind for at least two molds, along with generic "filler plans" for spares.

I've found a ratio of 3 to 1 plaster:water seems to work well for consistency and setting times. Generally, 4oz of water/plaster mix is good for a single mold, so I'll cast up 15oz of dry plaster for five molds. Since that's close enough to a pound (17 unit casts for 16 pounds of plaster), it's relatively easy to gauge weight and total process work.

Using this, I've got two bridges, half a dozen two/three story building bases, a cast of the dragon inn, and an entire two by two section of my modular board done in a few weeks.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences with HA molding and building. If Bruce didn't dislike people posting plans, I'd also show the diagram plans for the double-sized inn I'm working on, as well as any random projects and filler for excess pieces. These things are drat useful, and I've never felt so satisfied with my terrain. Gonna bring it in to my FLGS for some Mordheim when I'm done with more stuff, as their tables tend to be criminally bare during league games because of the one douchebag who plays that ridiculously shooty elf warband.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hedningen posted:

If Bruce didn't dislike people posting plans, I'd also show the diagram plans for the double-sized inn I'm working on, as well as any random projects and filler for excess pieces.
Wait - he allows people to sell the parts cast from his molds, allows molds to be made from assemblies of parts cast from his molds, but doesn't like people posting plans of stuff they've built? That doesn't make any sense at all! That's what is going to sell more molds - people seeing other things they can build.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hedningen posted:

If Bruce didn't dislike people posting plans, I'd also show the diagram plans for the double-sized inn I'm working on, as well as any random projects and filler for excess pieces.

I've never heard this before. Source? Because that seems patently ridiculous.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Hedningen posted:

The trick I've found is to always have molds going when I've got spare time, as well as casting with a definite plan in mind for at least two molds, along with generic "filler plans" for spares.

It doesn't help that I took a several year gap in there. :v:

Here are some examples of big projects I've done in the semi-recent past. I did a display board for the Oath thread, which'll be nice whenever I eventually get my display cabinet in a workable location:

I also put together a bunch of modular pieces around the time of the Dwarven Forge modular dungeon Kickstarter:

Finally, I've been casting up a shitload of pieces meant for a mega-layered mountainside inn.

The stuff on the right is some of the materials that I intend to go into it. The stuff on the left is the 'maybe I should do a test project to make sure I can pull off this tutorial reliably, first'. (It's going to have movable gears for the turret stand on top, and I magnetized the door.)

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
How do I make metal mesh for my 28 minis?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Not a viking posted:

How do I make metal mesh for my 28 minis?

It may be too big, but I've used something like this before:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-wireform-mesh/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Or replacement door screen.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Or cut up stovetop spatter guards from the $/£ store.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Iris of Ether posted:

It may be too big, but I've used something like this before:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-wireform-mesh/

This stuff makes some rad chain link fence.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That as fence makes me want to build a 28mm Pacific Theater WW2 airfield, and I don't even have anything for that theater.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I could easily be wrong on the plans - I was just recalling some statements made on the HA message boards, along with a general lack of plans online. It's weird - with how obsessive most of us nerds are, you'd expect a website to have a bunch of plans. So consider it misinformation and crappy research on my part.

Might as well start compiling blueprints once I've built a few plans to test things out. Sure, drawings are nice, but I figure actually showing the finished product is nicer.

Anything people want to see? I've got about ten molds, roughly five of which are flooring-based and can be modified for buildings. There's some neat stuff, but patience and constant casting are the main bits. The two-story Dragon Inn plans take at least 40 casts of the mold to make, along with some foamcore additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
If you are going to cast in plastic-resin make sure you use a mould release agent. Something like this:

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/release-wax-agents/macwax.html

It will make your sillicone moulds last much longer.