Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Terrain! Sure, we all love assembling, painting, and basing our tiny mans, but to get any wargaming done, you’re going to need to make tiny landscapes. This thread is for the discussion of creating those landscapes, collectively known as terrain. This OP is relatively small now, but I’ll be adding contributions to the OP as they get posted, until it becomes a proper MEGAPOST. For now, I’ll add everything I know practically and theoretically.

So what’s the goal here?
Some people make terrain to showcase their figures. Some people make terrain for terrain’s sake, like people who are into model trains. Some people make terrain because dang it, you’ve gotta play your games on something and you might as well make it look good. Just like painting, everyone’s going to have a style. The form and aesthetics are things you should give some thought. From the materials you use to the measurements of things you make, this deserves as much thought as making your tiny mans. The rest of this OP will be enumerated. The goal of this thread should be to discuss terrain and to eventually build this OP into one of the best one-stop resources for information about building wargaming terrain.

NOTE: If you have anything you feel like should be added to this thread, please PM me and I will get it added. If you have enough to say on the subject that you feel you could make a huge post about it, do so and I will link your post in this OP.

Planning – Questions to ask yourself
  1. What system are you using?
    The system you use can determine a lot of what you're going to be building. If you're building for Warmachine, for example, that informs your decisions for how tall you want certain buildings to be, what scale buildings you want to buy, if you buy them, and what things should look like as well. A 1.5" tall fence in one system might imply completely different things for another system.

2. What types of terrain do you need?
    If you're building a city, you'll likely want to make a bar or a tavern somewhere. Maybe a clock tower. If you're building for a field, or a farm, you may want a barn or a water well or some stables or feeding pens. Maybe you're making some kind of crazy alien tentacle-scape that requires cracked xenomorph eggs. When you're building a set of terrain, it's important for the feel of the terrain to be cohesive. Figure out what you want. Draw it out, make it all one at a time until you have what it is you want. Make a list.

3. What genre is the game you’re playing? (gothic, Western, modern, near future)
    Okay, so you've decided you want a little town. Does the town have a bar, tavern, or saloon? What's it made out of? Sure you can get all the materials you want to make a city, but if all you've got is balsa wood it's going to be difficult to make a bunker for a group of cybercommandos. You'll want to make sure you have the right materials. Make a list.

4. Locale
    So you've decided you want a gothic town for your Mordheim games. Where in the world is it? When you finish putting it all together, will your players recognize what country it's in? Just a few accent bits can make it that much more familiar and engrossing. Maybe you should put them on your list.

5. Modular or static? Do trees, etc., need to be moveable?
    The difference between making a pond that never moves and a pond that can be placed anywhere on the board is pretty significant. You might want to include this on your list.

6. What will you make it out of?
    Now that you've got a list of all the stuff you want to make, you need to decide what it will all be made from. Cardboard, maybe? Or will you go whole hog and get laser-cut MDF or plaster bricks? You may want to make a shopping list.

7. Where and how will you store it? Does it need to break down for easy storage?
    This might be the most important thing of all, especially if you live with someone who would hate you for cluttering up their space with all your poo poo. My suggestion is to make everything store neatly in totes, or shelves, or at your FLGS.

Now on to the specifics.

1. Varieties of terrain – What do you want anyway?
    Now that you've got your list, you need to decide what little bits you need to fill your playing space. They break down into categories.

1. Boards/Land
      • Modular
        Modular boards can be taken apart, rearranged, and put in different configurations so you can use the same pieces in different combinations. This is most commonly accomplished by breaking the board down into squares of a regular size so they can be rotated and swapped around. Good ones will have a way to clip the pieces together. Advantages are that you can use the same terrain for multiple games and have it be different. The major disadvantage is that it can be difficult to make cohesive boards that have roads or rivers or some other inclusion that goes between two or more squares.

• Static
        A static board will be one solid piece, one coherent thought. They look better than modular boards generally, and can have much larger structures and better looking, more interesting terrain features. However, they're a huge pain in the rear end to store and you only get one landscape out of them.

• Pre-shaped Stuff
        Some companies are actually making full-on terrain sets that you can assemble however you want and work well together. The best example I know of is the Tablescapes line by Secret Weapon Miniatures, which is made to store easily and is pretty drat modular. Unfortunately it's not out yet, but they'll be selling on their main webpage soon enough.

• Covering the landscape (sand, grasses, streets, etc)
        You're going to want to cover your board with something so it's not just a big mess of terrain with hardboard or foam underneath. To make it look like it's actually made of miniature grass or sand, a lot of people paint sandpaper or use vinyl that has been printed out to look like ground. Another option is to use foam and cut it out for shapes, and then paint the foam. I'm sure there will be a lot of posts to link to for this bullet point eventually.
    2. Add-ons
      • Landscape features (rivers, hills, forests, etc)
        I rarely see a table that doesn't have hills, rivers, forests, boulders, etc.. on it to make it look more alive, so it's not just some city out in Utah. These are pretty easily made out of foam. Mesas can be made out of stacked slices of foam, hills can be made out of shaped foam (flat on top so you can put minis on it), rivers.. are a bit more tricky and deserve their own section below.

• Buildings
        Buildings are there when you're anywhere other than rolling hills in some kind of echalon formation, taking the fight out of the streets simply because there's not enough room for your army. If you're doing any kind of squad tactical thing, you're going to want buildings. Mechanically, buildings generally serve as large pieces of hard cover that block line of sight, and sometimes provide interesting vantage points when they're climbable.

• Scatter terrain (Things that provide cover)
        Fences, boulders, barrels, machinery, rusted out old cars, or whatever. Scatter terrain is the stuff that you use to make your landscape interesting from a tactical point of view.
  2. Materials and tools
    1. Foam
        Hubis sez:Owens Corning XPS Foam (AKA "Pink Foam")
        It seems like there are a lot of people out there with a lot more experience than me working with it, but I figured I'd add my own knowledge gained from my first project with it.

• Tools
        Keyhole Saw - The hot cutters mentioned above are all best for detail work or where you need smooth cuts, but I got a lot of use out of a basic keyhole saw (usually used for enlarging a hole in drywall for fitting outlets, etc). It's great for doing large rough cuts. If you don't have a hot cutter available, this is even perfectly serviceable for cutting out your main pieces as well, provided you're ok with doing some sanding.

PVA Glue - Used to harden and protect the foam. XPS is pretty surprisingly hard, but it will take dents from sharp points very easily, and totally mess up any paint work. A little watered down glue will form a nice, hard shell that makes the piece about as tough as you could reasonably want without adding anything in terms of appreciable weight. I used two coats of standard Elmer's Wood Glue, diluted about 70/30 with water to make it flow better. You can optionally mix a little bit of generic playground sand in with this layer to give your object some texture. Alternatively...

Texture/Effects Mediums - Consider these instead of more expensive basing material for large objects. I played around with some of the Liquitex Texture Mediums at my local craft store. They are usually some kind of textured material like sand, grit, fibers, etc, suspended in a kind of gel that will disappear when tried, leaving behind an interesting, layered texture. Many of them can also take pigment directly, meaning you could possibly mix your base coat color in there and then just skip to shading and drybrushing. They also have the added benefit of often drying hard as a rock, for added protection. For my project (a set of stackable modular hills) I covered the top in a "Medium Pumice Grit" medium which basically made the top like a pice of skateboard grip tape which aside from looking like excellent rough ground had the added benefit of totally preventing any sliding around once I stacked my foam. Alternatively...

Cork Sheets - Useful on the bottoms of your terrain pieces to prevent them from sliding around. XPS is extremely light and usually pretty smooth, meaning that on a felt surface like a Hotz-Mat it will readily get knocked around. You can find rolls of thin cork (used for making pin boards, etc) at your local hobby store. Just place your terrain piece on it, trace and cut an outline with a hobby knife, hit the cork with some spray adhesive, and then press your terrain onto it for a little bit to set. Paint the edges of the cork black with a paint pen and you'll never even know it's there, but it will make the final product feel a lot more substantial. You can set some washers into the base of the foam as weights before this step if you want to add some weight as well.

Dual-Temp Hot Glue Gun - Great for gluing down static grass, rocks, accent pieces, etc. like always, but the key point here is that it needs to be dual-temp so that you don't risk melting the foam.

Long-blade Knife - A razor knife is good for cutting, but a knife with a long blade allows you do do things like "chip" away at the edge of the foam by cutting into it part way and then "twisting" the knife.

Sanding Block - Good for smoothing the edges of pieces if you cut them with a saw or knife, also good for carving a few "notches" to give a broken ridgeline effect.

Dust Mask - Melted XPS fumes smell bad, but honestly it's probably not as bad as breathing in the actual dust. If you do any sanding at all, make sure you've got a dust mask of some sort.

Spray Paint - Spray paint/primer is a no-go with XPS as far as I understand it, because there are chemicals in it which will cause the foam to just disintegrate on contact. An airbrush, on the other hand, would be tremendously useful for getting smooth, even layers across the naturally flat big spaces you are likely to have.

• Precautions
        Don’t do any heat-based foam cutting without proper ventilation. Melted foam fumes can be seriously bad. Don’t breathe foam.
    2. Wood
      • MDF
        Laser-cut MDF is being used these days to make terrain basically out of jigsaw puzzle pieces. It’s interesting to look at and goon Lumbering Troll is even making some himself! You can buy this stuff online in kits.
      • Balsa and other tiny woods
        Balsa wood strips are great for adding wood accents to anything. They’re cheap and light, though not the most durable thing in the world so you wouldn’t really want them to be your main material.
      • Tools
        Cutting MDF on your own is no picnic. Someone please contribute more to this section, as I generally don’t do it myself. I can tell you that for Balsa, standard PVA is my go-to, but I break that stuff up by hand.
    3. Water
      • Various things that make stuff that looks like water
        A lot of companies make realistic-looking still water. Vallejo and Woodland Scenics both make great realistic water. They come as liquids, both single and two-part, and sometimes as gels. They can be colored to look murky or radioactive or whatever you feel like!
      • How to use these things
        Let me just link you what Bruce Hirst has to say on that subject here and here.
    4. Brass
      • Printed
        Brass can be laser etched! You can see lots of companies these days making incredibly thin brass etchings to make things like razor wire, scaffolding, or lettering. It’s really neat stuff.
      • Rods and tubes
        Brass rods and tubes can be found at most hobby stores that sell the nerd hobby stuff like train sets. They can be welded or bent to the shapes you prefer. They’re also pretty cheap.
    5. Sculpting clay, putties and similar things
      • Sculpey and Super Sculpey
        Can be made into anything your heart desires. Someone please PM me if you want this expanded.
      • Two-part epoxies
        The most prominent types to my knowledge are greenstuff (also known as kneadatite) and brownstuff. Greenstuff is used to sculpt with an easier time sculpting, and brownstuff cures to be as hard as aluminum. They’re both very useful for making accents.
    6. Resin and prefab stuff
      • Why resin?
        Well, if you’re making your own stuff, resin is a hard, lightweight material that can be used to make very fine detail things in molds. But for most of us, resin is the material of pre-made terrain stuff we buy from companies that specialize in resin terrain. I’m not opposed to this practice one bit, any more than I am opposed to buying pre-sculpted miniatures that I paint.
      • Places to buy good resin poo poo and other prefab poo poo– Please PM me with additions to this list if you have experience with them.
        https://www.secretweaponminiatures.com http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/
      • Precautions
        Resin is some pretty bad stuff to breathe, and if you drill into it or sand it for any reason, you should probably wear a mask.
    7. Paper terrain
      • Terraclips
        Terraclips is a high quality paper terrain system made by Wyrd, the people who are responsible for Malifaux. From my understanding, it’s pretty good stuff and it collapses very easily, though you gotta set it up and that takes time.
      • Print and play stuff and places to buy it
        Print and play is another option, and you just download the PDFs and go hog wild. I highly suggest you get a craft cutter such as a Silhouette to cut everything out perfectly. You can buy them on the internet, at places like http://www.worldworksgames.com
      • Heavy duty paper is a good way to make terrain: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570772#post419624883

8. Casting
      Examples: Cavern accessories and sewer water

• Molds
        You can use silicone molds to cast your own terrain bits out of plaster. HUGE plug here for https://www.hirstarts.com. I absolutely love the stuff Bruce Hirst makes, and I have 10 of his molds myself. Basically the idea here is you crank out a ton of little bricks and go crazy Lego style. You’ll run through a ton of glue doing this. You will also have very good-looking buildings.
      • Materials – Plaster and Resin
        Bruce Hirst recommends using dental stone (I use and love Merlin’s Magic hobby stone), especially for small pieces with high detail. He also recommends you use some kind of surfactant to prevent bubbles, and a whole slew of other tips on his website. You can also use resin and cast using that, which will result in a lighter, but vastly more expensive product. He recommends Smooth Cast 300 by Smooth-On.
      • Making your own molds
        You know what, just go to this link: http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html
      • How to cast
        Again: http://www.hirstarts.com/casting/casting.html
        It’s way easier than it looks.
    9. Plasticard and other cardlike materials
      • Plasticard: A high quality plastic product available in a huge variety of shapes, sizes, and thicknesses, that you can use to accent terrain or miniatures, or really whatever you want to with it as I believe it is also shapeable if it has heat applied to it. It is also very expensive if you buy it from a company called Plastruct, though they have a very good variety of the product. For the same stuff cheaper you'll want to look for "plasticard" or "High Impact Polystyrene"
      • Cardboard: Great for building things around. Small boxes that happen to be in the same size and shape as a house you want to build allow you to simply build a house around the box. Keep your amazon boxes, people!
      • Hardboard: Good to use as a base for terrain, but you need to be sure you get it thin enough that it doesn’t cause elevation problems. Depending on the thickness it can be easy or difficult to work with. It is easy to find, but can be very heavy in large quantities.
      • Cereal boxes – The cost of this stuff is negligible as you already own it, it’s great for mounting paper printouts to, and can be used much like cardboard. However, it can be time consuming to make sturdy, and it’s not very durable.
  3. Tools Tools Tools….
  4. A big list of links for good premade terrain
    1. Historical
    2. Sci-Fi
        Sci-Fi Terrain Vendors (6mm/15mm):
      • XMARX.com - generic sci-fi, particularly well-suited for Battletech
      • Armorcasts - Good sci-fi, 6mm and beyond
      • Pfeiffer Stylez Customizing - 3D Printed pieces with a Battletech focus
      • Brigadier - 3D Printed pieces for use in sci-fi or modern. Some neat buildings here!Angel Barracks - Resin pieces focused on vehicle/infantry scale, rather than generic city-scale
      • Seeds of War - Lots of small scale 6mm battlefield buildings.Gamecraft - Buildings of various materials and genres
      • Micropanzer - Resin pieces, mostly 15mm scale but work great for 6mm. He has a modular "bits" section at the bottom for small resin pieces you can use to add detail to home-made terrain pieces, as demonstrated here.
    3. Paper stuff
      • http://www.davesgames.net
      • http://www.fatdragongames.com
      • http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/
  5. 3D Printing/Shapeways
    Someone write this up and I will include it
    • Pros
      - Detail: The material on Shapeways seems to hold fine detail almost as well as resin.
      - Weight: It can be incredibly light-weight, since many of the pieces are made hollow (and often are as a cost-saving measure)
      - Easy to work with: Takes paint well and usually requires little-to-no cleanup.
      - Variety: Since the pieces are made to-order, you can find a lot of stuff that wouldn't otherwise be worth the effort of resin-casting

• Cons
      - Expensive: Cost scales with overall piece bounds and total material. I've found that this will vary based on how crafty the designer is at cramming pieces together, but you can pay somewhere in the range of $10-15 for a piece the size of a standard 28mm figure.
      - Fragile: Some pieces may be slightly fragile, as makers will try and cut walls thin and hollow out large sections to save cost. I haven't had any breakage problems yet, but I'm definitely wary.
      - Textured: The technique uses to make the pieces can leave a rough, sandy texture on surfaces. I'm not sure that you can sand it away (though a coat of varnish or just transparent medium might make it disappear) so it's something to be aware of. This may be eliminated by some of the slightly more expensive materials with satin finishes.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Instructions for making specific things goes here

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 23, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

List of popular wargames, important terrain pieces, how they should function, and what measurements they should be.
  1. Warmachine
    • Unit heights
    • Elevation heights - All you need to qualify as “elevated” is 1 inch, and for ease of play it’s best if you try to keep your hills/elevated terrain low. Steep sides, graded sides, these are always a debate so your mileage may vary.
      How concealment works and what you should think about when making forests - For concealing terrain, like a forest template, the Steamroller tournament rules suggest terrain features be 4”-7” in length or width. Sticking to that will make for fun games and limit the times one guy gets bogged down in a forest and hates you. The entire base of the terrain is considered concealing, as Warmachine is not a “true line of sight” game. And due to the precision movement and placement required, it’s best that your trees are easily removable once models enter the forest.
  2. Warhammer
  3. Infinity
    • Unit heights (can be broken down into categories: low remote, human, TAG); affects partial cover
    • Cover is extremely important - ways to make partial and total cover obstacles
    • The often-forgotten - Low Visibility Zones, Zero Visibility Zones, difficult terrain. Should be easy to recognize what is LVZ, ZVZ, difficult/very difficult/impassable, mountain/jungle/aquatic; can fences be seen through? Shot through (with what modifier if any?)? Climbed? It should look clear so there’s less ambiguity and dice-offs during the actual game.
    • Theme your terrain so that c) above fits the rest
    • Table imbalance! (so there’s a reason to start second): catwalks, sniper towers
  4. Malifaux
  5. Historical/other wargames (2mm-25mm scale)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is it plastruct or plasticard? I only know the former as the company (which does make fancy useful bits and patterned plastic but is also very expensive). Plasticard is also called HIPS (high impact polystyrene?) and sold in quantities/prices which make it viable for terrain/building-making.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Is it plastruct or plasticard? I only know the former as the company (which does make fancy useful bits and patterned plastic but is also very expensive). Plasticard is also called HIPS (high impact polystyrene?) and sold in quantities/prices which make it viable for terrain/building-making.

That's a relevant distinction. Plasticard is the product, Plastruct is a company. Kind of like referring to tissues as Kleenex. I'll modify the OP to reflect this

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You should throw down a shout out to Renedra, who are every good Historical terrain makers best buddy. Nothing beats those tent sprues they make for cheap and easy terrain that works in every era.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Is there going to be a big need to go over pre-made stuff? That list would stretch to dozens of companies, especially when it comes to historicals and all the small manufacturers and Kickstarter companies. I suppose a bit on how to use pre-made stuff like bushes, trees, tires, barrels, crates, etc., to enhance handmade terrain pieces would be pretty helpful though.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Ooooh a terrain thread, about time :)

*bookmarks*

I'm all for home made terrain over kits, sure kits are nice but godamn they're soulless husks, I'd rather spend my money on models :v:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I think pre-made has its place for buildings and stuff like the aforementioned barrels and crates. Sure, advanced modelers can scratch-build anything but not all of us have the magic touch. If you're buying premade hills though, you're really pissing money away.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've been wanting to sculpt barrels, crates, etc., for ages so I can cast dozens of them and scatter them all over the place. I'm not experienced at sculpting but I figured something with straight sides would be an 'easy' way to get into sculpting and casting.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You should throw down a shout out to Renedra, who are every good Historical terrain makers best buddy. Nothing beats those tent sprues they make for cheap and easy terrain that works in every era.
Please tell me more. Do they make it in 20mm? I need me some Saga terrain.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'm going to put up a pictorial how-to on making water features using super glaze/envirotex lite. Sometime in the next day or so.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

krushgroove posted:

I've been wanting to sculpt barrels, crates, etc., for ages so I can cast dozens of them and scatter them all over the place. I'm not experienced at sculpting but I figured something with straight sides would be an 'easy' way to get into sculpting and casting.

You want the Hirst Arts Cavern Accessories mold, which is full of barrels and crates.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Is there going to be a big need to go over pre-made stuff? That list would stretch to dozens of companies, especially when it comes to historicals and all the small manufacturers and Kickstarter companies. I suppose a bit on how to use pre-made stuff like bushes, trees, tires, barrels, crates, etc., to enhance handmade terrain pieces would be pretty helpful though.

Until someone makes a effortpost about it I'm just gonna make a big list of links

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I love making terrain, more than painting little mans most of the time, this needs a section on mold making, and usage for sure.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

I love making terrain, more than painting little mans most of the time, this needs a section on mold making, and usage for sure.

And you need to write up a section on laser cut MDF!!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Silhouette posted:

You want the Hirst Arts Cavern Accessories mold, which is full of barrels and crates.

The Cavern Accessories mold is the poo poo. If you are casting for literally any other project and you use the remaining plaster on that mold, you will still end up with more barrels and boxes than you know what to do with.

I don't have much to contribute for wargame terrain, but I was pretty inspired by that Dwarven Forge Kickstarter that rolled through last year. 3D modular dungeons are neat! So I settled on the same 2x2" scale, hit my 'leftovers' bag, and just started making pieces.

Then I ran out of pieces and went on a casting binge.

You know what this needs? SEWER LEVEL.

Pieces are everywhere send help

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Iris of Ether posted:

The Cavern Accessories mold is the poo poo. If you are casting for literally any other project and you use the remaining plaster on that mold, you will still end up with more barrels and boxes than you know what to do with.

I don't have much to contribute for wargame terrain, but I was pretty inspired by that Dwarven Forge Kickstarter that rolled through last year. 3D modular dungeons are neat! So I settled on the same 2x2" scale, hit my 'leftovers' bag, and just started making pieces.
*snip*

What are you using for your Water? I love the blue.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Iris of Ether posted:

This picture is way more influential in getting me to try that mold! I still want to attempt sculpting something, though, so I may still try a chest or crate or something - but you make a very persuasive argument.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Yea! I’m really going to enjoy this thread. Here’s a graveyard board I made a couple years ago for use in Malifaux. The table is 3” x 3”, and all the terrain pieces are moveable. Quick paintjob,done primarily with inexpensive craft acrylic paints and drybrushing.

Parts list:

- The board is a piece of plywood, coated with PVA glue, covered in sand. In some areas, I glued down some pieces of cereal box cardboard (non-printed side up) for the flagstones of the path before sanding. Based and drybrushed with cheap craft acrylic paint.
- The gravestones are from Renedra. I cut bases from MDF, beveled the edges, and glued the gravestones down. Glued down sand, painted with cheap craft paints, and added some “dead grass” static grass from GF9.
- The crypts, walls, and statue are from GW’s Garden of Morr. Great, great, great kit.
- The trees are from GW’s Citadel Forest. Again, love that GW scenery!
- The hills are pieces of pink insulation foam, carved out with an extendable box cutter, covered in sand, and painted.
- The ruined buildings were cast in resin by myself, from a set of molds made by a friend. They are glued down on MDF bases, with chunks of pink insulation foam forming the rubble.

Overall, the table plays pretty well. I like very terrain-dense tables, particularly for skirmish games, but this one might be a bit much for some folk. Generally, we either remove some of the stones, or come up with a rule that mitigates the movement impact they can have on the game (e.g., they provide cover, but don’t impede movement, or you only subtract an inch of movement, irrespective of how many gravestones they cross.

Some more images:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Akay posted:

What are you using for your Water? I love the blue.

I'm using the Envirotex Lite (Pour-on High Gloss Finish) that the Hirst Arts site recommends. I've been coloring it with a drop or three of blue ink (Reaper brand in my case). A drop of paint works too, though it'll push it further away from transparency if you do that.

krushgroove posted:

This picture is way more influential in getting me to try that mold! I still want to attempt sculpting something, though, so I may still try a chest or crate or something - but you make a very persuasive argument.

Good to hear! I had fun with those models. And it's honestly not a bad idea to sculpt something yourself just to add variety, too.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

God damnit the last time I went to the Hirstart website I drat near started painting Warhammer again, but couldn't since I lived in a tiny apartment. Now I live in a palatial apartment and have more room than I need, so sure, why not set up a 10 foot long table of tiny crypts and cathedrals?!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Germ posted:

(AWESOMENESS)

:sbahj:

This is incredible, I hope you have more in store for us!

edit: Here are a few things I've been working on lately.

A pile of quick n' dirty rough terrain/forest templates

Some water features

A stately Warhammer manor

And my home table, proudly displaying my expertise at color matching :downs:

I've started work on another batch of water features in order to put up a how-to, coming soon!

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 18, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That graveyard terrain is awesome! I love it.

Here's a video tutorial I did a while back, showing how to make "dragon's teeth" or tank traps in the style of the WWII fortifications. The idea was to have a video series showing how to make terrain out of cheap, readily available stuff, but so far this is the only one I've finished. It could be better in several places but I figure what the hell I'll post it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGNHsuXzfns

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I have such a problem with focusing on projects. I just discovered the Infinity website's terrain forum, and suddenly my eyes are locked onto those forgotten Pegasus kits in the back of my storage shelf. I only have a half-painted starter set and have only played one game! But I could throw a bunch of stuff together so quickly... :supaburn:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

Please tell me more. Do they make it in 20mm? I need me some Saga terrain.

It's not just usable for SAGA it's in the SAGA rulebook. Renedra are the people who made all the tents you see everywhere in the rulebook pictures.

I'd say as far as premade terrain goes Pegasus Hobbies is the best, bar none. They make some great pre-painted medieval cottages that are about fifteen bucks a piece.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A few years back, I picked up a cheap-rear end griffin statue from Target's Halloween section. A chipped wing from a curious cat, some bitz, and like a year of just sitting there, it finally became my first terrain piece:

I keep thinking about redoing the green lichen on it, but much like my first minis, I think I'm going to leave it to I can gauge my progress.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

I keep thinking about redoing the green lichen on it, but much like my first minis, I think I'm going to leave it to I can gauge my progress.

Wonderful! You've nailed the weathered stone look. Great find!

We're coming into Christmas season pretty soon. The Dollar Tree stores in the US will start carrying their "Christmas village" sets. That means coniferous trees (with or without snow), perfectly sized for 28 to 32 mm wargaming, for a buck for three. Also, they've got great Victorian lampposts if you need that sort of thing.

I hope folks post more about repurposed terrain finds. Stuff like that griffin are pure gold if you can find them!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I dug up a few more links for the OP:

Abaroth's World has been my go-to place for weathering effects, making scenery bits out of common objects, and other terrain dressings.
http://www.abarothsworld.com/

Necrotales also has some good stuff on making swamp plants, mushrooms, and the like. I really like the sample of bamboo.
http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/

Cthulu Carl posted:

A few years back, I picked up a cheap-rear end griffin statue from Target's Halloween section. A chipped wing from a curious cat, some bitz, and like a year of just sitting there, it finally became my first terrain piece:

:swoon:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I think it's safe to say that if I hadn't of gotten into wargaming, I'd have been a model train nerd. My first issue of White Dwarf had a modelling workshop article written by Adrian Wood (not that Adrian Wood, a different.. longer haired, mustachioed Adrian Wood) on making rivers and I was hooked. Sadly being 12 years old at the time, my access to some of the materials and tools used were limited to say the least but that didn't stop me planning out all the cool poo poo I could build.

Roll on a few years and another modelling workshop article rolls around, this time penned by a Mr Robin Dews. Making terrain on the cheap with cereal packet card.

The premise was simple, using no more than a handful of tools (half of which you'd have had to hand anyway as a wargames nerd) and some cereal packet card, you could build yourself your very own warhammer empire-esque house (another article followed a month or two later, making a trench/bunker system for 40k)

There we go, that was enough for me to start picking up the modelling knife, PVA glue and set to work making some vaguely building like shapes.

To this day, my preferred material is just cereal packet card (or any kind of similar thin packaging card) - so much so my wife just rolls her eyes when I start fondling a box that's due to hit the recyling bin.. I'll squirrel them away into the garage and hoard.

Anyway, enough waffle, these are a few of my more recent* buildings, made for a mordheim campaign at the local club. Only a handful here, not shown is a graveyard crypt thing that I'm not overly fond of and keep meaning to re-build. I fluffed some measurements and it looks wonky in places, ever the perfectionist, it's simply not good enough and will be re-done, one day :)

Some other terrain, made back when I actually had spare time to burn and no kids to contend with. The little building thing is nothing more than an empty tin can and again, a variety of cereal packet cards (some thicker than average):

Going to get my terrain jiggy on soon again, I can feel the call of the PVA glue :v:

*when I say 'recent', I've been busy, I'm ashamed to say I haven't really made any terrain for about 2 years or so. It's always on my mind though, always taking pictures of interesting looking buildings to poach ideas from, just a matter of finding the time to do something with those urges rather than the hundred and one other things clamouring for my attention :)

enri fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 18, 2013

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
A couple more sources for Paper Terrain:

http://www.davesgames.net
http://www.fatdragongames.com

You can also do a quick google search for "papercraft terrain free" to get tons of free print and assemble stuff.

What I do is print the stuff out on a color printer, then paste the sheets to foamcore boards. Cut out and assemble with hot glue. It makes great looking buildings that are lightweight, super sturdy and pretty cheap.

I made a whole ruined city with all foamcore buildings for about $50. Unfortunately I never bothered to take pictures of it and gave it to my old gaming group years ago.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
6mm Sci-Fi
So, I've been getting into 6mm (AKA 1:285th or 1:300th scale) modern/sci-fi terrain lately. Unfortunately, it's been a bit of a pain, as most 6mm stuff is centered on either World War 2 armored combat, or modern wargaming (with very heavy setting-influenced buildings, i.e. lots of desert and jungle buildings). Passable 6mm sci-fi is a lot more rare, but if people are interested I will try and keep up to date a compilation of all the links I've worth sharing.

I'm a bit of a neophyte, but I've found crafting at 6mm to be a real pain in the rear end because most "found objects" you come across for piecing together terrain are usually at a scale that just looks wrong when your average human is roughly 1/4" tall. On the other hand, sometimes 15mm sci-fi terrain accessories (of which there are a TON) will look really decent as full buildings at 6mm with some creative adaptation.

Sci-Fi Terrain Vendors (6mm/15mm):
XMARX.com - generic sci-fi, particularly well-suited for Battletech
Armorcasts - Good sci-fi, 6mm and beyond
Pfeiffer Stylez Customizing - 3D Printed pieces with a Battletech focus
Brigadier - 3D Printed pieces for use in sci-fi or modern. Some neat buildings here!
Angel Barracks - Resin pieces focused on vehicle/infantry scale, rather than generic city-scale
Seeds of War - Lots of small scale 6mm battlefield buildings.Gamecraft - Buildings of various materials and genres
Micropanzer - Resin pieces, mostly 15mm scale but work great for 6mm. He has a modular "bits" section at the bottom for small resin pieces you can use to add detail to home-made terrain pieces, as demonstrated here.

Owens Corning XPS Foam (AKA "Pink Foam")

It seems like there are a lot of people out there with a lot more experience than me working with it, but I figured I'd add my own knowledge gained from my first project with it.

Tools
Keyhole Saw - The hot cutters mentioned above are all best for detail work or where you need smooth cuts, but I got a lot of use out of a basic keyhole saw (usually used for enlarging a hole in drywall for fitting outlets, etc). It's great for doing large rough cuts. If you don't have a hot cutter available, this is even perfectly serviceable for cutting out your main pieces as well, provided you're ok with doing some sanding.

PVA Glue - Used to harden and protect the foam. XPS is pretty surprisingly hard, but it will take dents from sharp points very easily, and totally mess up any paint work. A little watered down glue will form a nice, hard shell that makes the piece about as tough as you could reasonably want without adding anything in terms of appreciable weight. I used two coats of standard Elmer's Wood Glue, diluted about 70/30 with water to make it flow better. You can optionally mix a little bit of generic playground sand in with this layer to give your object some texture. Alternatively...

Texture/Effects Mediums - Consider these instead of more expensive basing material for large objects. I played around with some of the Liquitex Texture Mediums at my local craft store. They are usually some kind of textured material like sand, grit, fibers, etc, suspended in a kind of gel that will disappear when tried, leaving behind an interesting, layered texture. Many of them can also take pigment directly, meaning you could possibly mix your base coat color in there and then just skip to shading and drybrushing. They also have the added benefit of often drying hard as a rock, for added protection. For my project (a set of stackable modular hills) I covered the top in a "Medium Pumice Grit" medium which basically made the top like a pice of skateboard grip tape which aside from looking like excellent rough ground had the added benefit of totally preventing any sliding around once I stacked my foam. Alternatively...

Cork Sheets - Useful on the bottoms of your terrain pieces to prevent them from sliding around. XPS is extremely light and usually pretty smooth, meaning that on a felt surface like a Hotz-Mat it will readily get knocked around. You can find rolls of thin cork (used for making pin boards, etc) at your local hobby store. Just place your terrain piece on it, trace and cut an outline with a hobby knife, hit the cork with some spray adhesive, and then press your terrain onto it for a little bit to set. Paint the edges of the cork black with a paint pen and you'll never even know it's there, but it will make the final product feel a lot more substantial. You can set some washers into the base of the foam as weights before this step if you want to add some weight as well.

Dual-Temp Hot Glue Gun - Great for gluing down static grass, rocks, accent pieces, etc. like always, but the key point here is that it needs to be dual-temp so that you don't risk melting the foam.

Long-blade Knife - A razor knife is good for cutting, but a knife with a long blade allows you do do things like "chip" away at the edge of the foam by cutting into it part way and then "twisting" the knife.

Sanding Block - Good for smoothing the edges of pieces if you cut them with a saw or knife, also good for carving a few "notches" to give a broken ridgeline effect.

Dust Mask - Melted XPS fumes smell bad, but honestly it's probably not as bad as breathing in the actual dust. If you do any sanding at all, make sure you've got a dust mask of some sort.

Spray Paint - Spray paint/primer is a no-go with XPS as far as I understand it, because there are chemicals in it which will cause the foam to just disintegrate on contact. An airbrush, on the other hand, would be tremendously useful for getting smooth, even layers across the naturally flat big spaces you are likely to have.

3D Printing/Shapeways
I didn't see this mentioned above, but this could be an entire thread in and of itself. In this context, though, I've come across a bunch of vendors on Shapeways that do decent miniature terrain pieces.

Pros
- Detail: The material on Shapeways seems to hold fine detail almost as well as resin.
- Weight: It can be incredibly light-weight, since many of the pieces are made hollow (and often are as a cost-saving measure)
- Easy to work with: Takes paint well and usually requires little-to-no cleanup.
- Variety: Since the pieces are made to-order, you can find a lot of stuff that wouldn't otherwise be worth the effort of resin-casting

Cons
- Expensive: Cost scales with overall piece bounds and total material. I've found that this will vary based on how crafty the designer is at cramming pieces together, but you can pay somewhere in the range of $10-15 for a piece the size of a standard 28mm figure.
- Fragile: Some pieces may be slightly fragile, as makers will try and cut walls thin and hollow out large sections to save cost. I haven't had any breakage problems yet, but I'm definitely wary.
- Textured: The technique uses to make the pieces can leave a rough, sandy texture on surfaces. I'm not sure that you can sand it away (though a coat of varnish or just transparent medium might make it disappear) so it's something to be aware of. This may be eliminated by some of the slightly more expensive materials with satin finishes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cthulu Carl posted:

That's amazing. It looks like the cat actually helped you out there. How much did it run you? With Halloween coming up I might be on the lookout for stuff like that myself.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Has anybody tried painting those woodland scenics armature trees? Do they take paint? I need some dead trees for my board.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Has anybody tried painting those woodland scenics armature trees? Do they take paint? I need some dead trees for my board.

yeah I have used them, prime first then paint, works just fine. Obviously you want them in the shape they will stay in first.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I used those armatures for the basis of some trees, they painted up nicely. Best picture I could find is below. I magnetized the trees and used a metal plate for the trees, so they move around nicely without falling. WIth mine, I took the time painting some bark pattern on mine, with highlights and what not, though they even look fine without that. If you look around for photos of the Goritsi miniatures for the Wrath of King kickstarter, there seems to be some of those armatures used as bare trees as well. For example: http://wrathofkings.com/ks/rules/house-of-goritsi/

Here are mine, in the background:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

JerryLee posted:

That's amazing. It looks like the cat actually helped you out there. How much did it run you? With Halloween coming up I might be on the lookout for stuff like that myself.

The griffin was difinitely under :10bux: (And it'd obviously be even cheaper after Halloween). Everything else is stuff I found or already had - the rocks were picked up while walking the dog, the base is a couple pieces of cardboard with masking tape over the edges, bitz are a random assortment of Warhammer Empire crap, basing material is stuff I already had on hand. And the dwarf is just a dwarf. Enjoy.

I could have just drybrushed the lichen, but instead I used red and yellow weathering pigment I bought to do rust - mixing it with some matte medium and dabbing it on gave it a pretty cool crusty look.

I'd have to check to see if they still have them (I got this one a few years ago), but at the time, they also had a pretty badass gargoyle about the same size.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Hubis posted:

Owens Corning XPS Foam (AKA "Pink Foam")

DOW Blue foam is the exact same stuff as OC Pink Foam, in case you can't find Pink in your area.

And if you can't find either at your local hardware store, these guys carry it along with a ton of other types of foam products.

http://site.iwebcenters.com/afoammart_2/specialfxcat.html

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Does anyone ever check out theDMscraft channel on YouTube? I'm on my phone so I can't really post a link but its mostly ways to use cardboard, a hot glue gun and other bits and pieces to make some fairly decent set pieces for rpg encounters. However, lots of his stuff is useful for tabletop war games. I particularly liked his use of old toilet paper rolls for large dead trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I made a bunch of simple but infinity terrain out of small boxes by measuring them for templates, then applying game textures I found online (in this case; Left 4 Dead). Mixed in with some WorldsWorks papercraft terrain it makes a quick and easy slum board (the foamcore board sections shown were less successful).

Here's an example of the templates I made up (not full size)

And here's the results. I also applied the same technique to some large cans to make silos.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 20, 2013