Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

In general, it seems like it'd be better to have a conversation with someone always send to the same name, not change depending on whether you're using SMS or Hangouts. Otherwise it could seem like you're doing group messaging or something, when you're seeing messages from two different names in the same thread.
It does always use the same name. Once your use Hangouts once, it always uses their G+ name. Which is dumb, but consistently dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tunga posted:

It does always use the same name. Once your use Hangouts once, it always uses their G+ name. Which is dumb, but consistently dumb.

Oh yeah, I was just responding to ChocolateTHUNDER. I wonder if you can associate a Google+ name with your contact and have it show the contact name? Although I'd expect then it would be more likely everything would just use the Google+ name. I guess it's probably just down to Hangouts evolving from a chat program, not a text messaging program.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

Oh yeah, I was just responding to ChocolateTHUNDER. I wonder if you can associate a Google+ name with your contact and have it show the contact name? Although I'd expect then it would be more likely everything would just use the Google+ name. I guess it's probably just down to Hangouts evolving from a chat program, not a text messaging program.
Joining the two contacts doesn't help, it still uses the G+ name. It's Hangouts being stupid. I'd guess it's because it evolved from the G+ Messsenger thing, yeah.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Does anyone have experience with the Atlas web browser? I saw it mentioned on Android Police. The thing that caught my eye is that it has Adblock built in. I thought it might be useful to those who don't root but want the web to be readable.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Tunga posted:

Joining the two contacts doesn't help, it still uses the G+ name. It's Hangouts being stupid. I'd guess it's because it evolved from the G+ Messsenger thing, yeah.

Yeah, it's just kinda weird to be messaging my girlfriend with her full name instead of whatever dumb pet names we've come up with :v:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's this really an acceptable solution?

I was mostly kidding, but seriously, does anyone even use G+ anymore? I deleted my G+ profile a while ago...

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, it's just kinda weird to be messaging my girlfriend with her full name instead of whatever dumb pet names we've come up with :v:

Yeah but this way you don't have to be embarrassed if someone glances at your phone.

Also my parents names in my phone are just their full names and it's not in any way, shape or form weird. Its just like sending an email

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've just decided to separate the conversations for now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

dik-dik posted:

I was mostly kidding, but seriously, does anyone even use G+ anymore?

Yes. G+ is not Buzz. It has a thriving user base.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Yes. G+ is not Buzz. It has a thriving user base.

Shows me, I guess :shrug:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
There's a reason Google is moving everything back out of G+ now that the guy whose pet project it was is gone, and that's because no one uses it and everyone hates it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
ugh Goons are the worst when it comes to this topic.

Does anyone have a good decibel meter that isn't a bucket of unnecessary permissions?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Does anyone know why in the gently caress Hangouts randomly stops showing contact photos? It's only in the messages list panel. One minute it will show everyone's photo, then it won't show a few people, then they'll be back and other will be blank. It seems to be fine on my Note 3, but this has been an ongoing thing with my Moto X.

Side note: on the X, using SwiftKey, does anyone notice that the vibration doesn't always seem to work?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

There's a reason Google is moving everything back out of G+ now that the guy whose pet project it was is gone, and that's because no one uses it and everyone hates it.
Lots of us are using it every day. I do think Google made some bad choices with the way that they tried to attach a bunch of other services to it because of the requirement to have a public profile page. But that doesn't mean that the core of G+, the social network part, is bad or that nobody uses it or that everyone hates it because none of those things are true.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Tunga posted:

Lots of us are using it every day. I do think Google made some bad choices with the way that they tried to attach a bunch of other services to it because of the requirement to have a public profile page. But that doesn't mean that the core of G+, the social network part, is bad or that nobody uses it or that everyone hates it because none of those things are true.

All I know is that I fire up the Google+ app about once a month and it takes me about a minute to catch up on what I've missed since last time. That's not to say that there aren't active users out there, but they're just not in my social circle.

I WILL say, however, that every time I open that app I'm reminded of how much nicer it is than the Facebook one. It's just a shame that I have little to no reason to use it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

brc64 posted:

All I know is that I fire up the Google+ app about once a month and it takes me about a minute to catch up on what I've missed since last time. That's not to say that there aren't active users out there, but they're just not in my social circle.

I WILL say, however, that every time I open that app I'm reminded of how much nicer it is than the Facebook one. It's just a shame that I have little to no reason to use it.

I have to point this out every time this gets discussed, but....

G+ isn't Facebook. It never will be. What it excels at is topic-focused community. Whether this was the original intention of Google or not is irrelevant.

So, don't go to G+ looking to talk to your best friend from high school, go to G+ and talk to others you likely have never met interested in physics, Android, cars, space exploration, insert-some-topic-here.

(Also, there's some subset of users who actually have managed to convince their core group of friends to use G+ instead of FB.)

Hope this clears up the confusion.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^^This is right. The day I stopped trying to use G+ as New Facebook, I actually started liking/using it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Don't ever, ever, EVER go to What's Hot in G+ though. If that is your only experience with G+, it's easy to see why people would hate it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is G+ responsible for showing suggestions in hangouts/dialer? Because if so, gently caress G+.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Is G+ responsible for showing suggestions in hangouts/dialer? Because if so, gently caress G+.
The suggestions for both are great for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Don't ever, ever, EVER go to What's Hot in G+ though. If that is your only experience with G+, it's easy to see why people would hate it.

I don't have any problems with What's Hot. I've found some interesting articles there.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Link for the lazy

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

G+ is great when you don't fight it. People who refuse to use the main thrust of it (that is, as a central repository for your Google data) are just shooting themselves in the foot as Google's and Android's strongest feature is as a cloud extension. The social features of the platform aren't intrinsic to it and the benefits are many, from location sharing to photo backup to Hangouts.

It's a shame Google approached it in what would have to be the worst possible way because the purpose it does serve it serves well. It was just so boneheaded to roll out as a social service first and foremost when it's so ancillary to what it actually is. There was simply no logical reason to approach it the way they did but them being Google it's understandable how they got to where they are.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I have to point this out every time this gets discussed, but....

G+ isn't Facebook. It never will be. What it excels at is topic-focused community. Whether this was the original intention of Google or not is irrelevant.

So, don't go to G+ looking to talk to your best friend from high school, go to G+ and talk to others you likely have never met interested in physics, Android, cars, space exploration, insert-some-topic-here.

(Also, there's some subset of users who actually have managed to convince their core group of friends to use G+ instead of FB.)

Hope this clears up the confusion.

I'm considering printing that out as a poster.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
G+ is ok if you're a nerd wanting to talk about nerd topics, the other communities suffer from the same level of noise as their facebook-counterparts do.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

midnightclimax posted:

G+ is ok if you're a nerd wanting to talk about nerd topics, the other communities suffer from the same level of noise as their facebook-counterparts do.

It seems like when I got my LG G3 I had to login to G+ just to get my contacts imported.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

porktree posted:

It seems like when I got my LG G3 I had to login to G+ just to get my contacts imported.

That's the other thing with G+ and in typical Google fashion it isn't really clear. In addition to be a social network it's also a centralized identity for use across Google products. This made people mad when Google forced them to use it because 1) Google was heavy handed about it and 2) people didn't/don't understand the difference between having a G+ account and having to use the G+ social network.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Has the Gmail app been loving up for anyone else lately? It no longer pushes new email notifications, I have to go into the app and manually refresh for it to display. As well, new emails are not always appearing in the inbox either, only in "all mail". This has been happening for probably a week or two, I can't remember when the last time was that I updated the app.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

Has the Gmail app been loving up for anyone else lately? It no longer pushes new email notifications, I have to go into the app and manually refresh for it to display. As well, new emails are not always appearing in the inbox either, only in "all mail". This has been happening for probably a week or two, I can't remember when the last time was that I updated the app.

I don't have that problem but everytime I load Gmail on my Nexus 5 it gives me the explanation card about the inbox categories. It's super irritating.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't have that problem but everytime I load Gmail on my Nexus 5 it gives me the explanation card about the inbox categories. It's super irritating.

That one doesn't happen to me fortunately. But this problem is driving me nuts, it essentially makes the app worthless as I never know if I have new email or not. A couple recent reviews I skimmed in the play store do imply that others have this problem too, but I'm not dumb enough to put any weight in play store reviews.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

When you go to Settings - Accounts - Google, is Gmail sync turned on?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My problem with G+ is it likes to absolutely destroy my tablet's battery even if I never open it.

I even did an experiment to test this. I opened G+, set it up, then used G+ Photos just to let my photos from my phone sync over. Never actually used G+ for social networking. Still, G+ constantly stayed on causing huge wakelocks just because pictures were syncing (nothing else, just pictures...and I barely take pictures on my phone). The tablet lasted 2 days tops if I used it rarely.

So, I disabled G+ then re-enabled it, only opened G+ Photos but never actually opened G+. Since I didn't open up G+, it never actually tried to sync all of my photos and, as far as G+ Photos goes, it's strictly for my on-device stuff since G+ isn't set up. I've been busy this weekend and didn't have time to use the tablet. It lasted almost 6 days without G+ constantly wakelocking it to do god knows what.

I don't know what up with G+, but it sure loves to keep devices awake. It even does so on my phone when I'm not syncing photos.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Boywunda posted:

When you go to Settings - Accounts - Google, is Gmail sync turned on?

Oh weird, this might explain the problems I guess:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

It's a shame Google approached it in what would have to be the worst possible way because the purpose it does serve it serves well. It was just so boneheaded to roll out as a social service first and foremost when it's so ancillary to what it actually is. There was simply no logical reason to approach it the way they did but them being Google it's understandable how they got to where they are.

What cheeses me off so much is that there's finally finally a half-way sane permissions screen when you install apps from the Play store - 'this app will offer you in-app purchases', 'this app can read your call data' etc. - but G+ sign-in is still a mess of weasel words and obfuscation. Looking at Ski Safari now, random example - 'This app can see people in these circles: All circles'. It's a valid sentence, and it parses perfectly, but it doesn't mean anything, it doesn't tell you what the app is doing with your circles - and that's just with a game app. As G+ sign-in is Google's way of making their app ecosystem cross-platform, who knows what the gently caress they're doing with the data you put into there.

You want my data? Fine, tell me what you want and what you're going to do with it - in an ideal world, developers would justify their permissions line-by-line, but of course that'd blow the lid off every fart app under the Sun hoovering up your juicy social graph $$$ data because you accepted the terms when you tapped OK! :colbert:

You can make sure your boss won't see your party photos on the social side, but sign in to G+ inside an app and who knows what the gently caress you're exactly giving them and what they're doing with it. Unbelievable.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

spincube posted:

What cheeses me off so much is that there's finally finally a half-way sane permissions screen when you install apps from the Play store - 'this app will offer you in-app purchases', 'this app can read your call data' etc. - but G+ sign-in is still a mess of weasel words and obfuscation. Looking at Ski Safari now, random example - 'This app can see people in these circles: All circles'. It's a valid sentence, and it parses perfectly, but it doesn't mean anything, it doesn't tell you what the app is doing with your circles - and that's just with a game app. As G+ sign-in is Google's way of making their app ecosystem cross-platform, who knows what the gently caress they're doing with the data you put into there.

You want my data? Fine, tell me what you want and what you're going to do with it - in an ideal world, developers would justify their permissions line-by-line, but of course that'd blow the lid off every fart app under the Sun hoovering up your juicy social graph $$$ data because you accepted the terms when you tapped OK! :colbert:

You can make sure your boss won't see your party photos on the social side, but sign in to G+ inside an app and who knows what the gently caress you're exactly giving them and what they're doing with it. Unbelievable.

That's why I always change that setting to be "none" or "only me" or whatever it is.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hooah posted:

That's why I always change that setting to be "none" or "only me" or whatever it is.
It's a pain to change both settings every time. At least the circles aren't checked by default anymore.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

What cheeses me off so much ...
I won't argue that Google has G+ perfected. I'm sure we could both point to lots of flaws just like this across the entire implementation where simple changes would result in a better experience.

What I will argue is that it's infinitely better than it was prior to G+. There's a service-wide easily accessible privacy policy, settings, and security panel. There's a single sign-in across all Google services, small and large. There's a centralized dashboard for seeing connected third party apps and services, as well as fairly good visibility as to what level of access each enjoys. In terms of social connectivity, the level of granular control is versatile.

Where G+ really falls apart is the attempt to push you to put your real identity on a social network. I never understood this push because guess what? Google already knows your identity. They know who you are, who you know, your relationships to those people, where you browse, and where you go (with your phone). They had all that data before trying to force you to use your real identity to share things, so why generate enmity with users by trying to out-Facebook Facebook? I guess they thought they could drive engagement with it but it just seems silly they put that out in front like that. If they'd just sold it as a unified identity on the most important set of sites you're likely to belong to, and oh yeah here's a way to make some of that public and share stuff THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO (SERIOUSLY THIS ISN'T BUZZ AGAIN), then there probably wouldn't have been the major backlash.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 5, 2014

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Where G+ really falls apart is the attempt to push you to put your real identity on a social network. I never understood this push

...because it makes packaging up your data nice and neat and tidy, accessible from one single location. User name, gender, DOB, etc., all available in one convenient package to whoever's paying the bill; rather than being 'spread around' on their various services where you only supply data as and when needed on your terms, and not theirs.

So now you need to link a real-life G+ profile to Youtube to make this easier for Google: you can't (for instance) create a throwaway account to host an animation project for a small audience, because the 'expected use' (better phrase for this?) of Youtube is a single person consuming content, watching pre-video ads, and feeding G+ with their likes, dislikes, followed content creators and so on.

quote:

What I will argue is that it's infinitely better than it was prior to G+.
Honest question: better for whom? From my view, all the things you mention are better for Google, but not for the user - my little sister got her first Android phone recently, and I never, ever, ever want to have to walk someone over the phone through the process of remembering a Gmail account password (because it's an email account from the year *shrug*, not like a Facebook account or anything!), creating a G+ profile, figuring out how 'circles' work, and figuring out that we both need to 'circle' each other, again. Then we gave up because it's not 2001 any more and unlimited SMS is a thing that exists, and the hassle isn't worth it for the novelty of video calling.

It's like Google are balls-deep in this Silicon Valley mindset where a Google account is something you hold hands with your SO and work out together, carefully and diligently crafting your little niche on the web - rather than something you choose a unique username for and mash OK until the questions stop because you just want to email somebody already. Or upload a few home videos to Youtube, or whatever.

...I realise how :arghfist::tinfoil: this sounds, but I suppose my frustration at G+ is just an extension of Google overall: Facebook horned in on their user data racket, someone got spooked hard, and so rather than doing one thing and doing one thing very well, they're now building ghost towns based around extracting user data more efficiently. Meanwhile, Snapchat and Whatsapp - apps that do one thing and do it well, where the user controls the signal and the recipients - are eating both Facebook and Google's efforts alive and they just don't understand why.

spincube fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 5, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

...because it makes packaging up your data nice and neat and tidy, accessible from one single location. User name, gender, DOB, etc., all available in one convenient package to whoever's paying the bill; rather than being 'spread around' on their various services where you only supply data as and when needed on your terms, and not theirs.
Again, nothing they didn't have prior to G+, especially if you had an Android phone.

spincube posted:

So now you need to link a real-life G+ profile to Youtube to make this easier for Google: you can't (for instance) create a throwaway account to host an animation project for a small audience, because the 'expected use' (better phrase for this?) of Youtube is a single person consuming content, watching pre-video ads, and feeding G+ with their likes, dislikes, followed content creators and so on.
Except this isn't true at all, but you wouldn't know that if you don't actually follow through on your Google account setup. In fact, it's easier to do this than it used to be.

spincube posted:

Honest question: better for whom? From my view, all the things you mention are better for Google, but not for the user - my little sister got her first Android phone recently, and I never, ever, ever want to have to walk someone over the phone through the process of remembering a Gmail account password (because it's an email account from the year *shrug*, not like a Facebook account or anything!), creating a G+ profile, figuring out how 'circles' work, and figuring out that we both need to 'circle' each other, again. Then we gave up because it's not 2001 any more and unlimited SMS is a thing that exists, and the hassle isn't worth it for the novelty of video calling.
It's better for the user, and by far. You set it up once and forget about it. It carries over to every service on every device and it's easily managed. This used to be impossible and was a real pain point in using Google services.

spincube posted:

It's like Google are balls-deep in this Silicon Valley mindset where a Google account is something you hold hands with your SO and work out together, carefully and diligently crafting your little niche on the web - rather than something you choose a unique username for and mash OK until the questions stop because you just want to email somebody already. Or upload a few home videos to Youtube, or whatever.

...I realise how :arghfist::tinfoil: this sounds, but I suppose my frustration at G+ is just an extension of Google overall: Facebook horned in on their user data racket, someone got spooked hard, and so rather than doing one thing and doing one thing very well, they're now building ghost towns based around extracting user data more efficiently. Meanwhile, Snapchat and Whatsapp - apps that do one thing and do it well, where the user controls the signal and the recipients - are eating both Facebook and Google's efforts alive and they just don't understand why.
Well yes, mashing Next and not reading anything will result in a messy setup, but what's the alternative? Simple services are great but Google is not a simple service, it's a necessarily complex ecosystem of services. Managing them like you would a Snapchat account is not only not possible, it's fundamentally undesirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
And not to pile on, but Google used to "do one thing and do it well", which is what gave rise to pretty decent (free!) services such as gmail. Don't think that if SnapChat makes a few billion they'll just sit on it and perfect the secret message app. (also facebook bought whatsapp)

• Locked thread