Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Picnic Princess posted:

Cows aren't even really that stupid either, my father-in-law raises cattle and they definitely have intelligence and personalities.

This is why I advocate we start eating more horses. All the horses I ever met growing up in a farm town were dumb as poo poo. Horses are like cows but with the added part of dogs that is terrified of vacuums.

I'd feel wierd about eating species with strong cross-species empathy, but then again we usually don't eat those (Llamas, dogs, etc). I might draw the line at goats but every goat I've spent any time with was either a braindead eating machine or a testy rear end in a top hat.

Also goat is delicious, eat more goats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Someone is going to ask, so I'll get it out of the way. Cwtch is Welsh for cuddle or hug.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Today, in "the Imgur Community is really lovely, just like the internet at large":

Someone posts this photo

With this title

quote:

Egalitarianism is about equality; feminism is about the advancement of women under the guise of equality.

And these are the top responses

Let's take a look at the negative-rated comments!

:negative:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
tbf she has a point in that there's several sectors in feminism that are actively hostile toward women who don't identify as feminists (or really are hostile toward anyone who isn't a political lesbian) and they have a disturbingly large presence in discussions. Feminism suffers from both an image problem and an extremist problem (and the two feed into each other)

Can we just say that every pic you posted is awful in its own special way?

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

spog posted:

it is.

There are also these:

From a few pages back, but are there sources on these? I love the ideas of these, but I am loathe to combat "unsourced words on a picture on the internet" with same.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

If I had an illuminati account I would start friend requesting all the paranoid people on facebook

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Squallege posted:

If I had an illuminati account I would start friend requesting all the paranoid people on facebook

That account has so much comedy potential, but instead it just posts pseudo-intellectual bullshit for college kids to consider between bong rips.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Today, in "the Imgur Community is really lovely, just like the internet at large":

Someone posts this photo

With this title

And these are the top responses

Let's take a look at the negative-rated comments!

:negative:

Ironically the people participating in "Why I don't need feminism" are actually working towards feminisism through the unification of women towards what they see as equal treatment. They're just a part of the never-ending trend of feminists branching off, creating more discourse and evolving the movement and nerds are holding them up as men's rights heroes. It's great!

e: here's a smart lady with a phd who puts it a lot more eloquently than me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Perry Normal posted:

From a few pages back, but are there sources on these? I love the ideas of these, but I am loathe to combat "unsourced words on a picture on the internet" with same.

http://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/category/infographics/all-natural-banana-and-other-fruits/
That artist/chemist

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertszczerba/2014/07/24/ingredients-of-natures-perfect-foods-will-terrify-you/
mainstream press article

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Awesome, thank you!

Ghouligan
Aug 4, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Someone posts this photo

My fav part of this movement is these idiots saying "this movement calls me a MISOGYNIST BITCH" and so on blah blah
literally noone has said that to you
maybe some screaming sjw on tumblr would but it doesn't take much brain power to separate one nutter from an entire social movement that largely considers the word "bitch" to be a misogynist slur imo

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

oh really?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I don't know how you could even pretend that this is true. I wonder when was the last time there were absolutely no gun deaths in America?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

beepsandboops posted:

I don't know how you could even pretend that this is true. I wonder when was the last time there were absolutely no gun deaths in America?

Here's the source of the image: https://www.facebook.com/MyLegalHeat/posts/337559393002201

Estimated 85,000,000 gun owners in the USA, eleven of them kill people each day, resulting in 37 deaths per day. Apparently, those eleven gun owners are the mass-murdering sort.

I also like this bit:
"2,191 people use a gun every day in self-defense."
"Once again, this is a conservative statistic, the actual number is likely higher."

Source: a book called "More Guns, Less Crime."

I had a gun pulled on me, last year. I just bet that incident meets this statistic's definition of "self defense." Despite the fact that the man with the gun was 100% the aggressor, harassing and eventually assaulting a friend of mine, he was "defending" himself against me when I said, "That's enough," and took two steps toward them.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Centripetal Horse posted:

Here's the source of the image: https://www.facebook.com/MyLegalHeat/posts/337559393002201

Estimated 85,000,000 gun owners in the USA, eleven of them kill people each day, resulting in 37 deaths per day. Apparently, those eleven gun owners are the mass-murdering sort.

I also like this bit:
"2,191 people use a gun every day in self-defense."
"Once again, this is a conservative statistic, the actual number is likely higher."

Source: a book called "More Guns, Less Crime."

I had a gun pulled on me, last year. I just bet that incident meets this statistic's definition of "self defense." Despite the fact that the man with the gun was 100% the aggressor, harassing and eventually assaulting a friend of mine, he was "defending" himself against me when I said, "That's enough," and took two steps toward them.

The terms they use will depend on whether the assaulter was black.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gimnbo posted:

The terms they use will depend on whether the assaulter was black.

Black gun deaths only count as 3/5.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Centripetal Horse posted:

That's awful and you could press charges against the rear end in a top hat if you wanted.

Lethal force generally requires the shooter to be in danger of dying, though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

Black gun deaths only count as 3/5.

What about guns with other colors?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Wasabi the J posted:

That's awful and you could press charges against the rear end in a top hat if you wanted.

Lethal force generally requires the shooter to be in danger of dying, though.

It was caught on video. When the cops came, he both denied having the gun we described AND claimed the security cameras (this happened at his - well, his wife's - bar) had been out of commission for months. One of the cops recovered the video that the gun-puller had tried to delete, and found the gun hidden in the bar. The video supported us 100%. When a prosecutor was assigned, we called him numerous times, making it clear that we were very willing to see this go to court. The prosecutor told us he intended to prosecute the crime fully, and gave us his word that he would contact us before making any final decisions. Instead of doing that, he made a quickie plea deal, and the man who was drunk, carrying a concealed firearm in a bar got three months probation, and apparently did not even lose his ccw.

As a side-note, the cop in charge when the marked units showed up was a total piece of poo poo. I am 100% sure that he knew the perpetrator. That prick was amazingly hostile to us.

vv The friend in question is a rabid gun fanatic, and was waiting for his ccw when this happened. He now has his ccw, but he wouldn't have been carrying in a bar, anyway. I am pretty sure he un-ironically believes what you said. He started carrying all the time after the shooting at the CiCi's pizza out here. Apparently, the fact that the only person they killed besides cops was the one guy who was carrying and drew on them just means that guy wasn't as good as my friend is.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Aug 5, 2014

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
It all could have been avoided if you had a gun

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I didn't know the Amish used Twitter.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Ghouligan posted:

My fav part of this movement is these idiots saying "this movement calls me a MISOGYNIST BITCH" and so on blah blah
literally noone has said that to you
maybe some screaming sjw on tumblr would but it doesn't take much brain power to separate one nutter from an entire social movement that largely considers the word "bitch" to be a misogynist slur imo

Seriously, the only "insane feminazis" I've seen anywhere as part of any discussion have been screenshots of teenagers on Tumblr. The fact people are seriously discussing the opinions of 13-17 year olds is sorta sad and mindblowing at the same time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

No loving way, there's no way someone can be so lacking in self awareness.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

FrozenVent posted:

No loving way, there's no way someone can be so lacking in self awareness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEh6LoocymI

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I'm normally not an advocate for Bullying, but I'd be fine if some jocks came along and stuffed this guy in a trash can.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
no laughin, that's probably what resulted in this. That or an alcoholic mother.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
He has to be a joke, right?

Here's the only video on his youtube channel.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Scarf posted:

He has to be a joke, right?

Here's the only video on his youtube channel.

Poe's Law in full effect here.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'm normally not an advocate for Bullying, but I'd be fine if some jocks came along and stuffed this guy in a trash can.

You're a monster. You realize he's just going to go home and beat his pikachu-yellow fleshlight afterward, right? You're part of the problem.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

moerketid posted:

Seriously, the only "insane feminazis" I've seen anywhere as part of any discussion have been screenshots of teenagers on Tumblr. The fact people are seriously discussing the opinions of 13-17 year olds is sorta sad and mindblowing at the same time.

Always great when grown adults cite the opinions of children for reasons that feminism is bad.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you're measuring the success of 85,000,000 people not murdering someone in less than 24 hours something is seriously wrong, buddy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I own this book, I used to think it was a good book, It actually is a pretty bad book that makes a few decent points in the smuggest dick dorkins way possible. But at least I never got close to this level of Delusion :vince:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

kannonfodder posted:

Always great when grown adults cite the opinions of children for reasons that feminism is bad.

Cathy Brennan identifies as a feminist and runs "Gender Identity Watch," a hate group that stalks and harasses transfolk. She's far from the only feminist who is actively hateful and old enough to ought to know better.

Also dismissing awful opinions as "they're just children," particularly on the Internet where age is not immediately apparent is a really weak, lovely excuse.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Cathy Brennan identifies as a feminist and runs "Gender Identity Watch," a hate group that stalks and harasses transfolk. She's far from the only feminist who is actively hateful and old enough to ought to know better.

Also dismissing awful opinions as "they're just children," particularly on the Internet where age is not immediately apparent is a really weak, lovely excuse.

There are people in the LGBT community that think the last couple should be dropped because bisexuals are fake and trans people are insane perverts. There are extremists on every side of every issue, it doesn't mean "screw the whole thing" is a viable option.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

No joke, I'm a huge loving dork poindexter nerdling and I when I look at him, I get the weirdest urge to stuff someone into a locker. He's awakening bully jock instincts buried deep within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

There are people in the LGBT community that think the last couple should be dropped because bisexuals are fake and trans people are insane perverts. There are extremists on every side of every issue, it doesn't mean "screw the whole thing" is a viable option.

That's true, but claiming that groups don't need to self police is stupid. Doubly so if you engage in no true scotsman arguments while doing so. Acknowledge that there are lovely feminists but that it's more lovely to throw the baby out with the dishwater.

• Locked thread