Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I've run into a gamebreaking bug in Planescape: Torment, right at the end:

When my character ressurects Morte after merging with transcendent one, the game stops. Morte runs up to me and then... Nothing happens. :(

I've googled it, but I can't find anything. There's a suggestion for a 'lost party members' fix but that doesn't do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014
Thanks! I am really excited to start, I grew up with games like planescape:torment and Arcanum, so I have been looking for a game to play like this for a while.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
I'm planning on replaying IWD and want to make a party that will get the most dialogue and quest options possible. I can't quite think of who should fill my sixth slot. Right now I have:

1. A paladin
2. A bard
3. A druid (or druid/fighter)
4. A cleric/ranger (Even without the broken spells in Baldur's Gate this class is still awesome).
5. A fighter/mage/thief
6. ????

Any suggestions?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I would have a single class mage and a fighter/thief. Getting haste and slow asap is a huge boon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've actually never played Icewind Dale, though I have played and modded BG I and II to hell and back. What do I need to know before I start, and any particular party suggestions?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

The Iron Rose posted:

I've actually never played Icewind Dale, though I have played and modded BG I and II to hell and back. What do I need to know before I start, and any particular party suggestions?

Far less caster supremacy. Grand mastery on weapons is extremely good so a pure class fighter is a pretty good choice. Druids rule, tons of good spells. Bards are great too. Really, necro's party looks pretty solid. At least 2 tanks, at least one divine caster at least one arcane caster, and at least one rogue. I played through about 3 months ago with a fighter, fighter cleric, fighter thief, mage, druid, and a bard. Have at least one of your fighters spec in long swords. There are tons of good ones.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Here's the saddest post I'll ever make.

I've played and beaten BG1/2 2-3 times. I've beaten Planescape twice, and have gone through both IWD games 3-4 times. I've beaten the Temple of Elemental Evil, and have gone through god knows how many NWN and NWN2 modules.

I've never dual/multiclassed a single class, because I've never bothered putting the time into figuring it out, and have always been worried I'll "ruin" the character.

Anyone willing to do a introductory post on the how to dual/multiclass for someone who has never played the tabletop game?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Multi-classing is for non-humans and basically gives you the best of both classes with the "tradeoff" that you will be about a level behind single class people. This is not much of a tradeoff because you're basically two or three characters mashed into one.

Dual classing is for humans. You start as one class and then some time later on in your career you switch to another. When you make the switch you lose out on most of the stuff from your first class and are effectively level one in your new class. When you outlevel your old class with your new one you get all your old stuff back in addition to your new stuff. Ideally you start out as a fighter or thief until you reach a certain milestone (X5 backstab, 3 attacks, etc.) then switch to a spellcasting class. The problem is that you will suck for a while until you outlevel your old stuff.

Basically dual-classing is for lame spergs that are fine with being lovely for half the game as long as they can be really powerful in time for the final battle whereas multi-classing is for sexy, cool people who want to enjoy themselves.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Dualclassing is the android, and multiclassing is the blackberry.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Necroskowitz posted:

Multi-classing is for non-humans and basically gives you the best of both classes with the "tradeoff" that you will be about a level behind single class people. This is not much of a tradeoff because you're basically two or three characters mashed into one.

Dual classing is for humans. You start as one class and then some time later on in your career you switch to another. When you make the switch you lose out on most of the stuff from your first class and are effectively level one in your new class. When you outlevel your old class with your new one you get all your old stuff back in addition to your new stuff. Ideally you start out as a fighter or thief until you reach a certain milestone (X5 backstab, 3 attacks, etc.) then switch to a spellcasting class. The problem is that you will suck for a while until you outlevel your old stuff.

Basically dual-classing is for lame spergs that are fine with being lovely for half the game as long as they can be really powerful in time for the final battle whereas multi-classing is for sexy, cool people who want to enjoy themselves.

Hey now. Dual classing doesn't always mean sperging out. In the EE versions or iwd you can go 1 level fighter to get the sweet sweet grand mastery. In regular bg2 its not worth it unless you go at least level 7 or 9 fighter, but in the EE versions grand mastery gives a full attack, +5 damage, and +3 thac0.

In BG2 hitting level 7 or 9 is super easy though. Going Berserker druid is always really fun because druids level up super fast the first few levels.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Dual classing is OP if you do it right and can really gimp you for a long time if you do it wrong (such as dualing at a high level and never getting your first class back).

(+) It lets you min-max by getting the first class as high as you wish while maxing out the second class. Your fighter/mage dual will get his good spells much earlier than your fighter/mage multi.

(+) It lets you use kits for your first class.

(-) One temporary drawback is that you can't use your first class until your second class catches up in levels but it is easily mitigated by dualing into a mage class and then catching up on XP by reading scrolls. This makes mage the easiest and the most reliable class to dual into as you can pretty much get your level 10 mage instantly after dualing from a level 9 fighter.

(-) A much more significant drawback (only for ToB, though) is that you will only reach HLAs for one class. Some HLAs are very, very good and this is the main argument in favour of multiclass vs. dual to consider.

Some strong duals include Berserker/Mage, Kensai/Mage and Kensai/Thief (but since you can't read scrolls and you ideally want 13 levels in Kensai you will stay very weak for a long time.)

Fighter/Thief/Mage multi probably beats all those in sheer power by the time you reach ToB but don't bother with it unless you're playing solo or in a very small party. In the end, all of this is unnecessary unless you're playing on higher difficulty levels with added challenge mods where you have to use every scrap of an advantage you can get to pull through.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 5, 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dual classing from fighter, ranger or a thief to a caster is better than multiclassing because fighters and thieves have diminishing returns at higher levels whereas the casters get stronger. Pretty much the only multiclass that's better than a dual class is mage/cleric. This applies only to BG2.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My favorite power gamed character was the fighter 9/cleric X with grandmastery I had in my last IWD game. A druid can cover heals till the fighter hits 9 and the items and experience by the time you get there means you are a bad rear end even while your cleric levels back up.

Then you get grandmastery with cleric buffs and rip everything apart.

All of the posts so far also don't touch on IWD2 with its concept of "dipping" from 3e rules. Basically since IWD2 doesn't have prestige classes, the most worthwhile multiclassing consists of taking 1-4 levels of a class with cool low level bonuses like fighter or paladin, before or concurrent to your "real" class.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MegaGatts posted:

Far less caster supremacy. Grand mastery on weapons is extremely good so a pure class fighter is a pretty good choice. Druids rule, tons of good spells. Bards are great too. Really, necro's party looks pretty solid. At least 2 tanks, at least one divine caster at least one arcane caster, and at least one rogue. I played through about 3 months ago with a fighter, fighter cleric, fighter thief, mage, druid, and a bard. Have at least one of your fighters spec in long swords. There are tons of good ones.

Got it. And for the sequel?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Iron Rose posted:

Got it. And for the sequel?

You will constantly be fighting mobs, and rarely a particularly difficult single enemy or a party similar to your own.

With very rare exceptions, you cannot tank. Y'know how you could get like a -11 AC in Baldur's Gate, and lower still in BG2 and be basically untouchable until ToB content? IWD2's not like that at all. You will be hit. A lot. Meaning buffs are super important, as are things that reduce incoming damage (stoneskin, etc.)

Focus on a party that can handle crowd control--sleep/web/entangle/etc.

Direct damage spells aren't that useful outside of maybe opening a fight with a fireball, or at very late levels Horrid Wilting.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
A dual class fighter (7 or 9) /druid (x) can eventually become completely overpowered in IWD1 if you acquire the right gear. This is because the water elemental shapeshift form gives you extremely high physical resistance. If you use that form and certain gear, you can actually make your druid completely immune to melee damage while in water elemental form. That makes for a pretty hilariously good tank.

As for IWD2, what Fairgame said holds true. In IWD2 spells are super important, perhaps more so than in any other infinity engine game. This is because sustained melee is difficult if not impossible without spell backup. That's very different from bg where you can easily make a tank that needs little to no spell backup for most fights. To that end, you will want plenty of spellcasters in IWD2. Crowd control rules the day. At early levels, sleep & command & web & entangle dominate. A little higher and you'll get great mileage out of confusion and chaos as well as greater command and of course the tried and true slow.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't think I'll ever finish BG1. I finished BG2 sans the expansion, but I always lose the will to continue when I set foot in Cloakwood mine.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I don't think I'll ever finish BG1. I finished BG2 sans the expansion, but I always lose the will to continue when I set foot in Cloakwood mine.

I adore BG1 but the pacing is really weird. I usually do (almost) every wilderness map before Baldur's Gate proper, largely because I need the levels to get through SCS content. Then I enter the city where there are a million little sidequests and things to do. Then I get overwhelmed and start a new character.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
I keep running into the same problem. I just run out of steam by the time I've cleared Cloakwood Mine and/or started to delve into Durlag's Tower. I've got the urge to try again, though, and I'm probably going to reinstall the two enhanced editions this week with some portraits and voice sets. My choices are either a monk mod if it makes the monk class more like the NWN 3rd Ed style, a mod for a sorcerer with wild mage bursts, or possibly a kensai\thief if I'm able to grind the XP.

On the one hand, it bothers me a bit that if I do manage to complete the baldur's gate games, it'll likely be due to cheating through a mod, on the other hand, gently caress it, it's just a game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of mods, is there a BG:EE compatible mod list somewhere?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Arivia posted:

Speaking of mods, is there a BG:EE compatible mod list somewhere?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list There's this, but for BG2EE

Pyrok
Jan 31, 2013
Anyone familiar enough with the BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy) mod to offer some help? I'm running the Steam versions of BG:EE and BG2:EE, and as I'm trying to install the mod, when it asks for the path of my BG1 install, I type it out (E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition) and it gives me an invalid location message. I've googled the issue, but all of the results were from people who truly were giving it the wrong path. I've even copied the file path from explorer and pasted direction into the installation window. Any ideas?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
BGT isn't compatible with BG:EE and BG2:EE.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

BGEE's list:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15380/bg-ee-mods-and-modding-tutorials-quick-links/p1

Still not sure if kits are completely out of whack, or if it's just pre 1.2 kits, or if you can have a couple of new kits added and everything after that in the mod is messed up...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Christ, my mini-Iron Man run (where you don't rez characters after they die, you boot them and find another) in BG1 was going well, then I recruited Dynaheir, moved out of Nashkel and was immediately ambushed by a polar bear. It kills Dynaheir in one shot. I drop it, move on...and immediately run into a brown bear that kills Garrett. Bears!

Pyrok
Jan 31, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

BGT isn't compatible with BG:EE and BG2:EE.

Well poo poo, I missed that part. Thanks!

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

ImpulseDrive posted:

I keep running into the same problem. I just run out of steam by the time I've cleared Cloakwood Mine and/or started to delve into Durlag's Tower. I've got the urge to try again, though, and I'm probably going to reinstall the two enhanced editions this week with some portraits and voice sets. My choices are either a monk mod if it makes the monk class more like the NWN 3rd Ed style, a mod for a sorcerer with wild mage bursts, or possibly a kensai\thief if I'm able to grind the XP.

On the one hand, it bothers me a bit that if I do manage to complete the baldur's gate games, it'll likely be due to cheating through a mod, on the other hand, gently caress it, it's just a game.

If you use EE Keeper and give yourself the Wild Mage kit as a Sorcerer, it works.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

DeathChicken posted:

Christ, my mini-Iron Man run (where you don't rez characters after they die, you boot them and find another) in BG1 was going well, then I recruited Dynaheir, moved out of Nashkel and was immediately ambushed by a polar bear. It kills Dynaheir in one shot. I drop it, move on...and immediately run into a brown bear that kills Garrett. Bears!

It was Dynaheir and Garrett. If anything you should be thanking those bears.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

A surfing dog?! posted:

If you use EE Keeper and give yourself the Wild Mage kit as a Sorcerer, it works.

I tried that and it didn't work.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Wolfsheim posted:

It was Dynaheir and Garrett. If anything you should be thanking those bears.

Do you both mean Garrick here?

I always found the idea of dual classing a bit pointless. Okay, you can make a really efficent character. That's nice, but it's just something you don't need to do unless you really enjoy creating those characters yourself.

I found the character creation in IWD2 and NWN2 so much more detailed with far more exciting combinations to be made. I miss my Gensai Barbarian who dual wielded two handed axes.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

ImpulseDrive posted:

I tried that and it didn't work.

That's weird. I did that with a black pit character and it worked. Maybe I'm missing something else I did.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Ok so... sorry to break this to you newbies but: IWD1, IWD2, and PST, are 100% totally unplayable in the modern era. Yep, that goes for the "widescreen mod" as well.

They all look like TOTAL AND COMPLETE poo poo compared to the even basic BG1 EE. Ive done every graphic enhancement known to man on IWD2 and right now its "UNPLAYABLE" in how bad the graphics ware.

gently caress THIS GAME.

Do not play them.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Go away, troll?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Go away, troll?

good point. I totally lied about these old games working well on modern machines.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Imperfect graphics mean that a game is UNPLAYABLE" is a really weird position to take generally.

It's even weirder when you're talking about an over-a-decade-old game series.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Jabor posted:

"Imperfect graphics mean that a game is UNPLAYABLE" is a really weird position to take generally.

It's even weirder when you're talking about an over-a-decade-old game series.

Its also weird because the backgrounds in ice wind dale are beautiful.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

MegaGatts posted:

Its also weird because the backgrounds in ice wind dale are beautiful.

Yeah that's what I thought too. They WERE top notch back in the day.

Today? yeah the UI is unplayable. Its WORSE than BG:1 with EE. Like 100% worse. Its loving unplayable.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
It's the triple pronged thing of:

1) The games are self evidently playable. There are bad interface decisions in PST, say, and you can't fault someone for telling you that. But that's the worst of it and it makes the game more of a struggle to play, not "totally unplayable". None of the buttons have mysteriously vanished in the last ten years; the backgrounds are still all there.

2) Coming as they did toward the tail end of (non-indie) isometric RPG graphics, the IE games are quite developed and pretty. There's also been fewer advances there to show them up as old/dated: IWD2 is still one of the best looking in its graphical genre, whereas NWN looks like crap today. NWN 2 looks crummy by today' standards - not that it looked great when it came out either.

3) If anything's genuinely unplayable thanks to graphics, the EEs and their lovely compatibility with Intel integrated chips have cornered the market there. Not that I thought there were that many improvements over the base games when I could get it running.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Today? yeah the UI is unplayable.
Are you just incompetent? It's not that goddamn complex.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 6, 2014

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Ok give me the link to IWD or IWD2 that makes it as smooth as BG2:EE.

I'll wait while you forward that link to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Ok give me the link to IWD or IWD2 that makes it as smooth as BG2:EE.
So you went from proclaiming the games as being unplayable to saying that they're not as smooth as BG2EE? Nice shifting of the goalposts.