Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Assuming they both have the same SHARP rating, the one that fits better and fogs up less. Money does not make a safer helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ReelBigLizard posted:

Assuming they both have the same SHARP rating, the one that fits better and fogs up less. Money does not make a safer helmet.

You don't get to look up any ratings on it. We're making the choice only on price. The vast majority of people just buy whatever helmet. We're arguing about price correlating to safety, not doing additional research and cherry picking the unsafe expensive helmets and safe cheap helmets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So, like, mid-crash, I have the option to buy a better helmet, but I can't take too much time?

You can keep moving the target as much as you want. The point remains that some helmets are good enough and other helmets are better. Fortunately, we *can* do research to find out which ones are better.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

n8r posted:

We're arguing about price correlating to safety

We're actually not. It's just you.

And I'd still buy the one that fits comfortably and fogs up less. For reference I wear a $500 Shoei for this exact reason, it has a lower safety rating than my first shitbox nitro which fogged up and was uncomfortable.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 5, 2014

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Someone took all the data off sharp and plotted it out by price and there is a correlation between price and safety, but you can easily cherry pick 5 star $150 helmets and 3 star $500+ helmets. All of Bell's helmets are all 5 star rated for instance and you can get a vortex for basically nothing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

We're actually not. It's just you.

And I'd still buy the one that fits comfortably and fogs up less. For reference I wear a $500 Shoei for this exact reason, it has a lower safety rating than my first shitbox nitro which fogged up and was uncomfortable.

I find this comment deliciously ironic.

I believe the whole discussion was set off by Sagebrush implying any old full face helmet with any sort of certification will be as safe as any other. I replied to this by saying he is wrong and that I believe more expensive helmets are safer than less expensive helmets. Things then went back and forth a little bit which brings us to where we are now in the discussion. Up to this point I still believe that more expensive helmets are safer than less expensive helmets. Is this a scientific law? Clearly not. In general are more expensive helmets safer than less expensive helmets? I think so. Are there points of diminishing return? Yup. Can you find examples where this is not true? Yup. Does this make me wrong? Nope.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
There seems to be three points everyone's missing here, accidentally or not.

First - DOT, SNELL, CE, ACU, TU, whatever are all *minimum* standards. It is absolutely incorrect to say that two helmets holding the same certifications are exactly as safe as each other, as the SHARP ratings show that some do provide better protection than others.

What you can say with confidence (and it's all you can say with confidence) is that any certified full-face helmet is likely to be safe enough in the vast majority of situations. If you happen to be able to find a safer, cheaper one that doesn't ignore my second point then woohoo, go for it (but you may end up with a helmet that gives you a a worse experience in non-crash situations which I'll go into in my third point).

Second, although this has been touched on - a 5 star helmet that fits poorly will almost (and note I say *almost*) certainly offer you less protection in a crash than a 4 (or even 1) star helmet that fits you well. I have a Shoei-shaped head, and Arai helmets tend to be both simultaneously too tight and too loose on my head. Crashing at speed in an Arai loose enough to be comfortable on me would be a very bad thing - frontal impacts will be relying on an area of foam that my melon has already compressed, reducing it's ability to dissipate the impact. A side impact would allow the helmet to pivot, endangering my neck and increasing the impact I feel. It may even be loose enough to allow the helmet to come entirely off my head.

Third - even a well-fitted helmet, if it's cheaply-made (note that this may or may not actually correspond to the price of the helmet) will be much more fatiguing to wear. It'll be heavier, have less comfortable padding, less ventilation, and be much noisier and more prone to lifting or buffeting at speed. The more fatigued you are the more likely you are to make a mistake at the end of a long ride, and while it's a very marginal thing you can certainly make a case that a well-made helmet will reduce not just the damage you take in a crash but will actually reduce the likelihood of you crashing. (Someone also made a point about fogging, which is another good point - cheaply-made helmets tend to be terrible for this).

The point is that you can't just use any certification scheme and say "This is objectively the best helmet"; you absolutely have to try them on, compare things like aerodynamic design, and even things like the washability of the liners (because there's nothing worse than a sweaty helmet, right ladies?) to make the best choice for you.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

You don't get to look up any ratings on it. We're making the choice only on price. The vast majority of people just buy whatever helmet. We're arguing about price correlating to safety, not doing additional research and cherry picking the unsafe expensive helmets and safe cheap helmets.

I think the vast majority of people give up riding before they even wear out their babby's first CL-16.

I bought my fancy Shoei because it's quiet and light. I didn't even think about crash safety beyond "cool it's a helmet".

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I agree, there is no reason to buy a high end lid when you're just starting out and trying to figure out if you want to own a bike long term.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

n8r posted:

I believe the whole discussion was set off by Sagebrush implying any old full face helmet with any sort of certification will be as safe as any other. I replied to this by saying he is wrong and that I believe more expensive helmets are safer than less expensive helmets. Things then went back and forth a little bit which brings us to where we are now in the discussion. Up to this point I still believe that more expensive helmets are safer than less expensive helmets. Is this a scientific law? Clearly not. In general are more expensive helmets safer than less expensive helmets? I think so. Are there points of diminishing return? Yup. Can you find examples where this is not true? Yup. Does this make me wrong? Nope.

What data are you using to back this theory?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Yeah, like your bike, when new you're probably going to drop it and have it roll down your gravel driveway and scratch the poo poo out of it. Then buy a new visor because you can't see anything, then do the exact same thing the next day. :sigh:

I learned my lesson and don't put the helmet on the seat anymore, ever. Gravity will always win one way or another. I've also retired that helmet.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Radbot posted:

What data are you using to back this theory?

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Tangent to all this, are there any modular helmets that aren't total poo poo yet? I would seriously like to switch over to one but I haven't really seen any models yet that didn't require several pints of blood and a promise of my first born child as part of the purchase price and still protected as well as a standard.

Regarding price vs safety, I've just cherry-picked the less-expensive but high-rated helmets when I buy. They're going to get all scratched up and replaced after 5-7 years besides - I don't see a point in spending a grand on one that doesn't offer better protection than a $250 model just because it's prettier, has an extra vent, and weighs maybe 6 ounces less. If you've got the cash to do so and like having a bunch of helmets, go full-on gear queer and help keep the shops in business. And yeah don't blow your wad on the helmet straight away if you're a newbie.

e: Tanbo: ouch. That is exactly why I paid a little more and got a kevlar/epoxy shelled one for my first helmet rather than a cheaper all-acrylic. Wasn't thinking after class one day, started the bike up before putting my helmet on, and it vibrated straight onto the ground and bounced off the helmet's crown. The "drop it once and it's done" may be more rumor than fact, but I knew I was going to do something dumb eventually.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 5, 2014

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

n8r posted:

Why? You stated that Sagebrush was wrong, which he wasn't. Safety-wise any helmet rated Snell / CE is basically safe to use according to all of the data we have, and DOT should be taken with a pinch of salt because they don't test. My primary requirement of a helmet is that it meets basic safety standards, if this is met, it comes down to comfort. I got the Shoei because they are apparently the only manufacturer that supports my head shape / size. It's not even that light or quiet for the price.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 5, 2014

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

I got the Shoei because they are apparently the only manufacturer that supports my head shape / size. It's not even that light or quiet for the price.

You must be a petite asian woman, because there is not a single Shoei (or Arai, for that matter) I have ever found that fits me(and I'm not a fat guy). Fuckers need to start branching out on what hemisphere their head models come from, I'd buy their stuff but my nose and cheekbones need to not feel like they're in a vice. Call it the "European" line or something, I don't care.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Kilersquirrel posted:

You must be a petite asian woman, because there is not a single Shoei (or Arai, for that matter) I have ever found that fits me(and I'm not a fat guy). Fuckers need to start branching out on what hemisphere their head models come from, I'd buy their stuff but my nose and cheekbones need to not feel like they're in a vice. Call it the "European" line or something, I don't care.

The opposite - I have a fat Anglo-Norman head and Shoei XL is the perfect fit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

n8r posted:

Get something full-face that's ECE, Snell or DOT approved and your head will be as protected as it can get.

I didn't bother reading your whole post because it was long as poo poo, but I need to address this point because I don't want new riders getting the wrong impression. Yes, getting a full faced helmet protects your head a lot, but the most protection you can give your head is to never ride a motorcycle in the first place.

Make sure you present all the facts next time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ooooh, an r^2 value of .063! That's barely better than random!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Kilersquirrel posted:

Big round Anglo-Irish head here and my (L or XL I can't remember) Arai RXQ fits my head like a tailored suit. I tried on the entire price range from HJC/Scorpion up to Shoei/Arai, and the Arai fit me best. I can wear it all day long and barely know it's there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I gotta be honest, arguing about how much Buells don't suck is a lot more fun then helmet slapfights.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Safety Dance posted:

Ooooh, an r^2 value of .063! That's barely better than random!

Yeah, no offense, but that correlation is loving weak.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I didn't bother reading your whole post because it was long as poo poo, but I need to address this point because I don't want new riders getting the wrong impression. Yes, getting a full faced helmet protects your head a lot, but the most protection you can give your head is to never ride a motorcycle in the first place.

Make sure you present all the facts next time.

Oh, yes, guilty (that's n8r quoting me, not his own opinion). HOWEVER I need to point out back to you that actually, the most protection you can give your head is to never ride a motorcycle in the first place and to wear a boutique Ruby full-face helmet at all times. (I specify the Ruby because at $2,000 it's at least 4 times as safe as a $500 Shoei).

ShaneB posted:

Basically n8 is voicing the opinion of a silent majority who are sick of you answering every question asked in this thread with information based on your extreme wealth of experience on the road and a quick google search.

I had some stuff typed up questioning this "silent majority" :laffo: but instead I'm just going to say this: prove me wrong! Find the last post where I gave objectively wrong advice.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

I had some stuff typed up questioning this "silent majority" :laffo: but instead I'm just going to say this: prove me wrong! Find the last post where I gave objectively wrong advice.

I'm basically saying you act like someone's autistic nephew who has read a lot of books and forum posts and reviews on motorcycling and insists on regurgitating what he has read without much prompting or experience.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Radbot posted:

Yeah, no offense, but that correlation is loving weak.

Not like it's my analysis but I don't think there's any other one out there to even look at. A quick glance at the scatter plot would show that it's pretty random, but if you're pulling $100 and $500 helmets out of a hat and crashing in them I'm still picking the 500 dollar hat. That said if you're going to spend money on something to protect your head you should probably just do some basic research first and not pick it out of a hat.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

This plot demonstrates that not only can the cheapest helmets have very high safety values but that there are a greater number of cheap helmets with these ratings than their expensive counterparts. In fact, there appears to be a $100 (yes GBP, whatever) that is probably statistically equivalent to a $600+ helmet. Not to mention that helmets are constantly being placed on clearance so what may be your dickwaving $600 helmet today will be a $200 blowout tomorrow. Price is a subjective and inaccurate method of "ranking" helmets though I'm aware it's one of the most convenient for comparative purposes.

There are so many factors involved in a crash that it's somewhat ridiculous to argue with each other who is "right".

This is a stupid loving derail because it's entirely based on someone misrepresenting the words of another to support their own grudge or vendetta or whatever weird poo poo n8r jerks it to every night on SA.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

How many helmets are <200GBP and <2 Stars?

How many helmets are >200GBP and <2 Stars?

Pretty hard to get a lovely helmet if you spend 200GBP or more.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's a questionable interpretation of that plot.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Kilersquirrel posted:

Awesome. I now know I have a petite asian woman's head on the rest of my gawky rear end frame. Arai Quantum 2 in Small was the only helmet that came remotely close to fitting me.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

n8r posted:

How many helmets are <200GBP and <2 Stars?

How many helmets are >200GBP and <2 Stars?

Pretty hard to get a lovely helmet if you spend 200GBP or more.

You're totally right dude. My mistake.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Radbot posted:

That's a questionable interpretation of that plot.

How so?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That plot says, to me, that price/safety correlation is weak (the r^2 value). Therefore you can't make conclusions about price implying safety.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ShaneB posted:

I'm basically saying you act like someone's autistic nephew who has read a lot of books and forum posts and reviews on motorcycling and insists on regurgitating what he has read without much prompting or experience.

Okay? This doesn't bother me. If it bothers you, put me on ignore. This isn't your private forum.

Try to be more positive! I know this is the Something AWFUL forums and all but it's more pleasant for the people who are coming here for information when it's a big hugbox instead of a bunch of bitter sarcastic folks posting one-line responses because they're ~so angsty~

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Is it true that gold face shields help you see better at night?

I have heard this several times, but I'm calling complete and utter bullshit on it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Motorcycle Question Thread II: Less chatting and more Sagebrush

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Radbot posted:

That plot says, to me, that price/safety correlation is weak (the r^2 value). Therefore you can't make conclusions about price implying safety.

Eyeballing the graph it appears that if you spend <200GBP on a helmet you've got about a 10% chance of getting a sub 2 star helmet. Above 200GBP you've got about a 2% chance.

These SHARP ratings are confusing as poo poo because they are very quiet about the difference between a 1 star helmet or 5 star helmet at least from looking at their website for two minutes.

At least according to the SHARP rating system there are a lot of good inexpensive helmets.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've used gold face shields. What they do is similar to gold sun glasses, they dampen the light and give it a blueish tone. Compared to a regular tinted shield they are better with lower light, but it still lowers the light.
How could a tint let more light through than a clear blank visor? Pure bullshit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Minkee posted:

Is it true that gold face shields help you see better at night?

I have heard this several times, but I'm calling complete and utter bullshit on it.

You're filtering out light with a tinted visor when light is already at a minimum... do the math :v:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Amber/gold tinted visors can increase perceived contrast, but they obviously don't increase the amount of light coming through. That's why a lot of ski goggles have amber/gold tint.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Motorcycle Question Thread II: Less chatting and more Sagebrush

I apparently do have quite an impact on this place, I'll give you that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

Guinness posted:

Big round Anglo-Irish head here and my (L or XL I can't remember) Arai RXQ fits my head like a tailored suit. I tried on the entire price range from HJC/Scorpion up to Shoei/Arai, and the Arai fit me best. I can wear it all day long and barely know it's there.

mungtor posted:

Awesome. I now know I have a petite asian woman's head on the rest of my gawky rear end frame. Arai Quantum 2 in Small was the only helmet that came remotely close to fitting me.

Blocky-headed German family stock here, my cheekbones feel like they're in a vise or the upper part of my temples do with all the Shoei and Arai helmets I've ever tried on. They seem to have forgotten some of us have noses, too. Thus far the Scorpions have fit my humongous square melon the best but I'm incredibly bitter abouta little jealous of your ability to fit into helmets that are both protective and extra-lightweight. The weight isn't terrible on my Scorpion but I have to ride straight west to get home, more often than not that means riding into ~20mph headwinds. On one hand it really strengthens up your neck muscles, on the other it can get obnoxious after a few miles of having to consciously tilt your head just right to keep it from getting wobbled around.

More seriously, anybody on the modular helmet question?