Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

We can do it with a new language. :getin:

Yes the tech language from the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

I'm not talking about the tactical realism of such a device but the philosophical reasons behind certain societal things. I'm not proposing such a device be invented nor even that it could but rather what it would mean if a device like that did exist and if the surety of justice it provided would be worth the erosion of privacy.

I don't know, it's sounding a lot like a "what if we could have a machine that solved the halting problem?" Sure, yeah, you would then be the Pope and language would lose all meaning ia ia Cthulhu ftag'n. I think you need a better thought experiment. Like, suppose you had an infallible jury, or something. Oracles at least don't immediately lead to paradoxes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wish Better Off Ted was still on the air, that show was really funny.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

zoux posted:

So let's say they invented a machine that with 100% reliability could tell if a person was lying. Would using that in lieu of due process and jury trials be justified?

I think the machine would violate the fifth amendment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

Yes the tech language from the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Oh I was making a 1984 joke there

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Oh I was making a 1984 joke there

That was way down the list of references I was gonna go with.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

paragon1 posted:

Agreed. That was a fun show.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

paragon1 posted:

The "manual drinking fountain" gag from the motion sensor episode was the funniest thing I've seen on network TV in years.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paragon1 posted:

It was very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia8OKMlqxLs

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

skaboomizzy posted:

The "manual drinking fountain" gag from the motion sensor episode was the funniest thing I've seen on network TV in years.

Not as funny as people not knowing about the Jabberwocky project. They're totally going to look like fools when it revolutionizes the way we do business.

I survive using the discarded husks of other people's jokes. Don't judge me

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

I was laughing so hard at that I fell off my couch.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any chance there are youtubes of it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magres posted:

Any chance there are youtubes of it?

It's really not as funny if you don't have the episode-long buildup to it. It used to be on Netflix. It's a great show.

The particular episode we're talking about is Season 1, episode 4.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Which episode is it?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't like jury trials, anyway. Complete lack of accountability.

Is there any data on a hypothetical switch from juries to something else like tribunals regarding cost/case load? Because I think trial by jury is dumb but given the amount of cases in today's society I'd grudgingly accepted it based on cost effectiveness.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jury trials rarely happen (relative to the case load) and they are important in that they take the "hard decisions" out of the hand of the government and thus are a bulwark against tyranny.

Also I guess I have a bad opinion of judges but if you think trials by juries are dumb, well, hahah, wait till you see trials by judges.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

I'm not talking about the tactical realism of such a device but the philosophical reasons behind certain societal things. I'm not proposing such a device be invented nor even that it could but rather what it would mean if a device like that did exist and if the surety of justice it provided would be worth the erosion of privacy.

even positing that such a machine exits, which OK fine, I don't know if it could be applied. See that is my point.

There is no truth. People don't even know. People in trials don't know if they are telling the truth or not. No one remembers right. The questions are designed to not be readily answered as 0 or 1. Could your machine spit out an answer like "DEPONENT PROBABLY TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT CERTAIN ASPECTS OF TESTIMONY BUT OTHER AREAS GENERALLY UNDERMINED BY CONFLICTING EVIDENCE END OF LINE>"

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Just gonna leave this here:
https://twitter.com/congressedits/status/496748713403248641

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

Jury trials rarely happen (relative to the case load) and they are important in that they take the "hard decisions" out of the hand of the government and thus are a bulwark against tyranny.
[citation needed]

quote:

Also I guess I have a bad opinion of judges but if you think trials by juries are dumb, well, hahah, wait till you see trials by judges.
At least if a judge is dumb that can be used to remove them or have them improve. If a jury is dumb, welp, it's done, never going to see those folks again!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

euphronius posted:

even positing that such a machine exits, which OK fine, I don't know if it could be applied. See that is my point.

There is no truth. People don't even know. People in trials don't know if they are telling the truth or not. No one remembers right. The questions are designed to not be readily answered as 0 or 1. Could your machine spit out an answer like "DEPONENT PROBABLY TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT CERTAIN ASPECTS OF TESTIMONY BUT OTHER AREAS GENERALLY UNDERMINED BY CONFLICTING EVIDENCE END OF LINE>"

I imagine such a machine would safely scoop out the ol' brain-matter, stir it a bit, give it a read, put it back. Maybe spruce up the place a bit while it's in there, I mean really is it the only intelligence that cleans its thinking space anymore, what would people do without it?

Probably like that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Heard on NPR just last week that "lie detectors" produce a 52% reliability. They were studying ways to detect lies by asking people to describe events (real or faked) and they ask them things like, "And if I were there with you what would I have seen? And what happened before that? And before that?" Going backwards.
They found that truthful people answered questions with more detail and more words. Given enough answers they could run an algorithm and determine truth vs. deception much more effectively based just on how many words were used and how many words were just repeated in the answers. It was pretty interesting.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

alright I hadn't thought about the bulwark against government aspect of it but there's gotta be a better way than having cases decided by twelve people with no legal experience that were too unlucky and dumb to get out of jury duty.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
it's been known that polygraphs are pretty much useless except as an intimidation tool for a very long time, hence why they're barely ever admissible evidence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

alright I hadn't thought about the bulwark against government aspect of it but there's gotta be a better way than having cases decided by twelve people with no legal experience that were too unlucky and dumb to get out of jury duty.

Judges are just as dumb/biased/bored/distracted.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

it's been known that polygraphs are pretty much useless except as an intimidation tool for a very long time, hence why they're barely ever admissible evidence.
:omarcomin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5aIvjNgao

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man, that machine would never work. I know a guy that always laughs/smiles when you accuse him of something even when he's telling the truth.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You'd think. The jury system is one of the better of a lot of terrible options.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean we could just not have criminal law at all.

That is an option.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

I mean we could just not have criminal law at all.

That is an option.

We could have 12 strawmen be the jurors, too.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We could have 12 strawmen be the jurors, too.

After the zimmerman trial I'm not sure there wouldn't be a decrease in trial quality if 12 literal scarecrows were the jurors.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

After the zimmerman trial I'm not sure there wouldn't be a decrease in trial quality if 12 literal scarecrows were the jurors.

No, but you see, having a judge make that call and be able to go back to this decision in deciding whether he should recuse himself from other trials, or maybe even pressure him to resign, would be TYRANNY! Much better have 12 random assholes we'll never get to see again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that was more of a case of dumb as poo poo law, it's a dumb law, and racism but yeah that was a bad spot of jurying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At least we don't elect judges in political elections. That would be a disaster.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

At least we don't elect judges in political elections. That would be a disaster.

How do you write jurors so well?
I think of a judge. And I take away reason and accountability.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

R. Mute posted:

my advice is actually turn off your brain because it's so full of autism that it can't enjoy a fantasy film without sperging out. now, i could obviously say 'well, the writing in this film didn't manage to engage wolfsheim enough to overcome his crippling autism' and blame it on the film, but it seems pretty unfair to the film when you even fail to understand that the whole memory erasing thing is just a plot device. its details are unimportant, it doesn't have to work.

but that's just the thing - it does work. it makes sense. there are no holes in the logic here, it's just that you don't find it believable. and why don't you find it believable? the procedure and business model is purposefully kept vague (because, ironically, it'd distract from the plot) and based on the glimpses you saw (the index cards) you assume it wouldn't work. but that's 90% you. who knows, maybe normally the person having the procedure done will have told their friends and relatives, and the index cards are there as reminders and to notify people who aren't as close but still see the person enough to accidentally say something. i mean, why not? it's perfectly fair to assume this, given the information we received. but you just went straight for *in the seinfeld voice* 'it makes no sense!'

the problem is that you think the thing about the memory erasing company needs to be shoved further in the background, but you're wrong. not because it deserves attention, but because it's already in the background. it's already there. you obsessing about it is the thing that makes it more prominent than you think it should be.

so my actual actual advice is to focus on the thing you're meant to focus on, on the thing the film's actually about, keep your brain on but don't obsess over unimportant details and watch the film in good faith. or don't and just shut up.

I apologize to everyone who isn't a CD poster and could never possibly care this much about a lovely movie, but...I disagree? There's no way that erasing someone that significant from your memory wouldn't eventually come up in some unexpected way - be it an old friend you forgot about, an old photo you overlooked, someone who knows but slips up, or something on social media - it would eventually come up like 99.9% of the time, and when it did, it would pretty much ruin their life. I mean, this isn't some dystopian sci-fi where memory erasing is the norm; it's basically modern life but also this company exists and no one bats an eye.

I at least understand when someone says not to think about all the inconsistencies in Transformers because you're supposed to just be there to watch the CGI fight the other CGI, but you're basically saying "You need to ignore everything about social interaction that would make this plot device not make sense so you can focus on the real plot line that explores social interaction in-depth." I get that because of the emotional impact of the other parts you and every woman I've ever dated was able to overlook all that and I'm a huge sperglord autistic neckbeard for thinking about it for more than a couple minutes, but that doesn't make it not uneven at best.

This would be funnier if websites didn't still look like this :(

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

[citation needed]

At least if a judge is dumb that can be used to remove them or have them improve. If a jury is dumb, welp, it's done, never going to see those folks again!

Unless that judge was elected by constituents who wanted him to do those dumb things.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's us, we're the miscarriage of justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The Honorable Manuel Real is a good judge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Real

quote:

Real was noted for his judicial behavior in the 2000s. From 2001 to 2009, he had custody of disputed Filipino assets, which he had to account for in 2009. A federal appeals court panel then wrote "This curious statement plainly fails to account for all transactions involving the assets during the eight years they were held in the clerk of court's custody. It doesn't give the reader even a basic understanding of the path by which $33.8 million worth of assets deposited in September 2000 came to be worth $34.7 million today".

On January 11, 2012, the Ninth Circuit removed Real from the controversial case of Alexander Sanchez, a former M13 gang leader turned gang interventionist. His handling of this case has been compared to the judge in the infamous "Chicago Eight" trials by some commentators. Real has since been removed from other cases for behavior that threatened the fairness of the trials. In November 2012 it was reported that Real had shown a pattern over a number of years of making rulings in favor of companies in which he owned stock.

http://judgepedia.org/Manuel_Real

quote:

In 2009, there were calls for the 85 year-old Real to retire his seat on the federal bench, citing his high rate of appellate reversals and dictatorial manner in the courtroom. According to the Los Angeles Times: "Judiciary analysts have calculated that Real's reversal rate in some years has been as high as 10 times the average for federal district judges." However, judicial misconduct overview agencies have found his behavior to lack the "willfulness" required for formal sanctions.

I want to clerk for him

• Locked thread