Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

bull3964 posted:

The TV has to be HCDP compatible, otherwise nothing HDMI would work from cable boxes to blu-ray players.

The problem is somewhere in the computer itself. It's not handshaking properly with the TV. It could be a driver issues or just some basic incompatibility with the firmware in the video hardware.

Isn't copy protection grand? It routinely stops people from enjoying the stuff they bought legally while doing gently caress all to actually stop pirates.

Honestly, I've had trouble with lovely HDMI cables causing issues with some devices some of the time. Try replacing the cable first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Any thoughts on the Samsung UN557100? Looks like it's super cheap on ebay today.

Edit - looks like Cnet doesn't love it so maybe I'll keep waiting.

SteveMcQueen fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 31, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How about the Samsung UN48H6350AFXZA? Any problems?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I decided to jump into the Smart TV thing and bought a 55'' LG 55LB7200 earlier this week. Anybody have experience with this TV? It looked pretty sleek and the picture looked great (also seemed to get great reviews). The interface looked great too.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 2, 2014

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Looking at getting a UA55H7000 and noticed that the HU is the same price, which is 4K instead of normal. Any idea why the UHD panel would be the same price? Are they using much shitter UHD panels or something?

e; looks like it might only be 50hz, the 100hz panel is $800 more. Is that going to be an issue? We don't use 3D blurays or anything.

Murodese fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 3, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From what I've read, it's not as big a deal in Europe because 24fps only has to be sped up a frame and then doubled. It's not as noticeable as going from 24 to 30 first.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I guess that's why most of the TVs we get here appear to be in increments of 50hz, not 60. I can find only a very small number of 60x TVs, they're all 50/100/150/200.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally time to upgrade my 7+ year old Sony, this looks like a good fit for the price:

http://www.costco.com/Sony-60%22-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-KDL-60W610B.product.100118422.html

Any thoughts?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Murodese posted:

I guess that's why most of the TVs we get here appear to be in increments of 50hz, not 60. I can find only a very small number of 60x TVs, they're all 50/100/150/200.

Those x50 TVs actually all support 60Hz input just fine, because they have to.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
Forgive me if this has been brought up before; I read through some of the thread but not all.

I have an LG32LH3000 LCD 1080p tv. It's been really good, and I particularly like the sound balance features. I've had it for a few years now. Couldn't say how many to be honest.
Unfortunately, it's developed a problem with "sooty" looking dark patches on the screen.
I tried all the obvious things (like cleaning the screen) to no avail.
Pic:

I used the Sky infomercial channel because it is (supposed to be) a nice solid white apart from the text. It shows the problem really well.

I've done some Googling, and as far as I can tell it's something to do with the back-lighting. The plastic diffusers used to spread the light evenly can become discoloured or otherwise damaged by heat (and this tv does spit out a lot of that).

Obviously, this sort of thing only appears after a lot of use, so it wasn't on the radar when I bought it.

I was planning on replacing it anyway, so I'm not overly bothered; just wanted to share a bit of info.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
So I received my Sony 70W850B on Friday. God. drat. Looks so good in person, better than it did in the store (I know thats true of all TVs). 720P definitely feels like SD on a screen this size though, 1080P is fan-loving-tastic. Black is actually black on this thing. It's mind-blowing. I'm coming from a 2009 model Sony 46". I'm pretty goddamned excited about this thing.

3D is a loving joke though, works terribly if there is any light in the room. Beyond that there is ghosting on stuff even in the dark. Anything that's supposed to be close to you is double-image always. So it's pretty much completely worthless. That kinda sucks.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ddogflex posted:

So I received my Sony 70W850B on Friday. God. drat. Looks so good in person, better than it did in the store (I know thats true of all TVs). 720P definitely feels like SD on a screen this size though, 1080P is fan-loving-tastic. Black is actually black on this thing. It's mind-blowing. I'm coming from a 2009 model Sony 46". I'm pretty goddamned excited about this thing.

3D is a loving joke though, works terribly if there is any light in the room. Beyond that there is ghosting on stuff even in the dark. Anything that's supposed to be close to you is double-image always. So it's pretty much completely worthless. That kinda sucks.

You might be able to adjust that on either your blu ray player or the tv itself. The convergence point or whatever it is probably needs to be screwed with. It'll never be perfect but you can probably get it to where it's actually enjoyable, especially for animated films like Tangled or whatever. I actually kind of like the 3d gimmick

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ddogflex posted:

Is it active or passive 3d?

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Has anybody had recent experience with Sharp's Aquos Q and Q+ line? I've had a 42" Aquos for years that's been great to me but I've got a dead row of pixels so I figured I might start looking. The Q and Q+ lines both seem well priced for what they're offering, but I wanted to see what others thought.

The Q+ line seems to typically have an aluminum bezel and this 'subpixel' designation (which I think is for 4k), but otherwise fairly identical to the Q line.

Within the Q+ line itself there's several different models at 60" 60SQ/TQ/UQ that seem to vary in contrast ratio, bezel, and their version of the soap opera effect.

Does it make sense to wait to closer to Black Friday/Christmas for potential deals?

Also if anyone has other recommendations for a 60" LED in the $1200 to $1600 range that would also be rad.

BitterAvatar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 4, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

Is it active or passive 3d?
It comes with model TDG-BT400A glasses which are active.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

BitterAvatar posted:

Has anybody had recent experience with Sharp's Aquos Q and Q+ line? I've had a 42" Aquos for years that's been great to me but I've got a dead row of pixels so I figured I might start looking. The Q and Q+ lines both seem well priced for what they're offering, but I wanted to see what others thought.

The Q+ line seems to typically have an aluminum bezel and this 'subpixel' designation (which I think is for 4k), but otherwise fairly identical to the Q line.

Within the Q+ line itself there's several different models at 60" 60SQ/TQ/UQ that seem to vary in contrast ratio, bezel, and their version of the soap opera effect.

Does it make sense to wait to closer to Black Friday/Christmas for potential deals?

Also if anyone has other recommendations for a 60" LED in the $1200 to $1600 range that would also be rad.

I have a 70UQ17U which I'm mostly pleased with. It does absolutely idiotic things with CEC in conjunction with my receiver and blu ray player to the point where I've given up on CEC and bought a harmony remote, and the black is really blotchy is the entire screen is black. It also seems to have a fair bit of input lag for games, which is somewhat better if you use HDMI 4 and put game mode on - not great though.

Aside from that, though, it's gorgeous and it's got fine enough grain controls to really tweak colors and such to be perfect. I'd recommend it despite my earlier bitching.

Edit: I meant HDMI4, in case anyone ever refers to this for anything.

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 5, 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Professor Funk posted:

I decided to jump into the Smart TV thing and bought a 55'' LG 55LB7200 earlier this week. Anybody have experience with this TV? It looked pretty sleek and the picture looked great (also seemed to get great reviews). The interface looked great too.

Anyone have any experience with this TV? I've read about some issues with dimming on LG TVs, so I'm a little concerned, even though the picture looked great on this one (I'm by no means an expert with this stuff).

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

shortspecialbus posted:

I have a 70UQ17U which I'm mostly pleased with. It does absolutely idiotic things with CEC in conjunction with my receiver and blu ray player to the point where I've given up on CEC and bought a harmony remote, and the black is really blotchy is the entire screen is black. It also seems to have a fair bit of input lag for games, which is somewhat better if you use HDMI 3 and put game mode on - not great though.

Aside from that, though, it's gorgeous and it's got fine enough grain controls to really tweak colors and such to be perfect. I'd recommend it despite my earlier bitching.

Thanks for the info.

I've also seen a lot of talk about the Samsung H7150 line. How do people like those?

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
So I'm moving soon and will likely replace my current TV (7 year old Sharp LCD that has served me well)

The new TV will be going in a smaller room so my first decision was Plasma vs LED. I know Plasma is supposed to look great but in a small room I'm concerned about heat so I decided to look at LED options. I saw the Vizio E series mentioned a few times in this thread and I ended up looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M552i-B...#productDetails

The 55 inch is at the top of my price range and the 49 inch is right in the middle.

My main concerns are movie/TV watching and avoiding the soap opera effect. I don't mind the SMART stuff but between my receiver, PS3 and Chromecast means most of the apps are redundant.

Is that TV (at either size) a good option for the price? Or should I continue my search

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You'll save $220 by getting this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-e-series-55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/3320006.p?id=1219090455813&skuId=3320006

Psmith
May 7, 2007

I was looking at that but I did notice that the refresh rate is actually 60hz (which Best Buy inaccurately lists as 120). I am not sure how big of a sticking point that is because my current TV is 60hz. Are there any other differences that I would notice?

I have an amazon gift card so the M series TV would ultimately cost around $620 but if both sets are similar enough I could always blow that gift card on something else

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Psmith posted:

I was looking at that but I did notice that the refresh rate is actually 60hz (which Best Buy inaccurately lists as 120). I am not sure how big of a sticking point that is because my current TV is 60hz. Are there any other differences that I would notice?

I have an amazon gift card so the M series TV would ultimately cost around $620 but if both sets are similar enough I could always blow that gift card on something else

24fps movies at a real 24fps would be the only "big" difference. Or if you like the soap opera effect for some reason.

Beyond 120hz, the M-series are just nicer TVs in general though. Better blacks, contrast, blah. How much that's worth is up to you. I don't think it's all that dramatic though. For a budget TV I'd go with the budgetier one.

Psmith
May 7, 2007

ddogflex posted:

24fps movies at a real 24fps would be the only "big" difference. Or if you like the soap opera effect for some reason.

Beyond 120hz, the M-series are just nicer TVs in general though. Better blacks, contrast, blah. How much that's worth is up to you. I don't think it's all that dramatic though. For a budget TV I'd go with the budgetier one.

Can you explain the first part a little more? Because the SOE is my biggest concern with getting a new TV (as in I want to avoid it like a plague).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Psmith posted:

Can you explain the first part a little more? Because the SOE is my biggest concern with getting a new TV (as in I want to avoid it like a plague).

You can almost always turn it off in my experience. Just make sure that the TV will let you do so.

"Real" 24fps is nice - it means that the movie at 24fps can be done with a straight up multiple of the refresh rate - i.e. on a 120hz TV, it shows each movie frame for 5 tv "frames." 240hz would be 10. And so forth. The problem comes when you don't have a multiple of that, and you have to do poo poo like 3:2 pulldown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down) or similar, where you're combining and doing other weird crap with frames to get them to show up properly. That's ok if you don't notice it, but if you do, it's pretty noticeable and can be annoying, similar to the SOE.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's funny is right after I got my 240hz TV, native 24fps input was triggering a bit of a SOE response from my brain because the judder inherent from 3:2 pulldown was so ingrained after decades of watching TV. It was only after critical viewing in a theater that I realized I was getting the same motion at home and in about a week I adjusted to it. SOE itself still bothers the hell out of me, but I'm used to native 24fps now.

If you get a TV with good enough motion processing, it can detect a 24fps source from 3:2 material (movies on TV, pretty much any single camera drama or comedy, DVDs since they aren't stored native 24fps) and recreate the correct motion cadence. That way you get the benefit of judder free motion without introducing any SOE on more things than just blu-ray.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SOE is apparently good for fast moving sports. I tried it once or twice for hockey and it did seem nice.

I don't know about the other manufacturers, but with LG it's not easy to get to though. It's not on the quick settings menu so you have to go into picture settings and then an advanced menu.

bull3964 posted:

If you get a TV with good enough motion processing, it can detect a 24fps source from 3:2 material (movies on TV, pretty much any single camera drama or comedy, DVDs since they aren't stored native 24fps) and recreate the correct motion cadence. That way you get the benefit of judder free motion without introducing any SOE on more things than just blu-ray.

That presumably depends on the channel and maybe even the provider. Some stuff is adjusted before it ever gets sent to you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aphrodite posted:

That presumably depends on the channel and maybe even the provider. Some stuff is adjusted before it ever gets sent to you.

Eh, not really. Unless they actually start doing motion interpolation on their end, the cadence should be detectable and reversible. All it's really doing is looking for a frame pattern and that should be intact unless someone is doing something truly wacky. Occasionally, the transport stream gets goofed up to the point that it makes the motion processor have fits and you have to disable it because motion is all jerky, but that's few and far between.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
So I'm still going back and forth between TV options and I'm wondering about something else. My biggest concern is picture quality so I know in the back of my mind that plasma is a good option. Especially with the attractive pricing (for example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...F5300&cp=1&lp=1 )

My biggest concern is that my room is smaller (approx 10 x 12)

Would that TV add any degrees to the room temperature (over what an LED would do) or would it not be that noticeable?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Psmith posted:

So I'm still going back and forth between TV options and I'm wondering about something else. My biggest concern is picture quality so I know in the back of my mind that plasma is a good option. Especially with the attractive pricing (for example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...F5300&cp=1&lp=1 )

Would that TV add any degrees to the room temperature (over what an LED would do) or would it not be that noticeable?

I had an old 2003-era 50" panasonic plasma that generated a ton of heat and it didn't matter at all in the summer and in the winter it just made the living room slightly warmer than some other rooms. Not problematically so though. I can't speak for that TV in particular but I've never felt that any of my plasma TVs have had a considerable impact on the room climate.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

BitterAvatar posted:

Thanks for the info.

I've also seen a lot of talk about the Samsung H7150 line. How do people like those?

So after so more research it seems like Samsung is a pretty solid choice, either the UN55H7150 or the UN55HU8550. It seems to be around $600 price difference for 1) better local dimming 2) 4k capability 3) a better stand (in my opinion) 4) slightly better motion interpolation

Is it worth worrying about the 4k and local dimming that much? Both seem highly ranked for picture quality for their respective price range.

At what point does it make sense to wait for Black Friday/Christmas to see what kind of deals there might be?

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph

Psmith posted:

I'm looking at this same TV and am also cramming it into a small rear end room so I would also love any opinions. I live in the cold as poo poo north though so if it could raise the temp of my room by 5 or more degrees that would be dope.

The only thing that I'm still worried about before buying is whether or not the picture will suck if there's any light in the room since it's a plasma screen. Like, having to totally black out the sun in the room to make it look good would be kind of annoying, I don't mind closing the blinds but if having a lamp on or the light spilling in through my wall that doesn't go all the way to the ceiling would ruin the picture quality I might look for something else.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Wowporn posted:

I'm looking at this same TV and am also cramming it into a small rear end room so I would also love any opinions. I live in the cold as poo poo north though so if it could raise the temp of my room by 5 or more degrees that would be dope.

The only thing that I'm still worried about before buying is whether or not the picture will suck if there's any light in the room since it's a plasma screen. Like, having to totally black out the sun in the room to make it look good would be kind of annoying, I don't mind closing the blinds but if having a lamp on or the light spilling in through my wall that doesn't go all the way to the ceiling would ruin the picture quality I might look for something else.

I've always had a plasma til my most recent LED and unless it's a dark movie I've never felt the need to even close the curtains in a fairly well lit room.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Moved into my new apartment today and the first thing I said was "Time to get a new TV!"

Wandered over to Best Buy with the intention of buying a Samsung UN55H7150AFXZA because it was on sale. Waffled towards a 60" Sharp Q, then decided I wasn't sure it was going to fit on my wall...and then decided that since I would have to mount it over a fireplace and pay someone to not gently caress it up I'd just get a stand and the Samsung I wanted.

I'm satisfied. :)

Only problem right now is it has a big ole stuck Red Pixel in the middle of the screen, which I am fairly certain wasn't there when I turned it on and started watching some Blu-Rays. I don't have internet that doesn't have a splash screen login until Sunday, but once I get the cable all set up I'm going to run one of the epilepsy youtube videos and see if I can't get it to unstick. And then try massaging it, I guess. Anyone have any experience getting a pixel unstuck?

At any rate, I used the settings someone linked a few pages back and I am loving the picture. People look awesome, cartoons look fan-loving-tastic. For $1400, I think this is a steal in the 55" non-4k range.

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 7, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Vizio is doing a recall for some of their E series televisions for tipping over.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/VIZIO-Recalls-to-Repair-39-and-42-Inch-E-Series-Flat-Panel-Televisions/

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
My girlfriend bought one of these when she moved into her new apartment, the stand is definitely very wobbly. Good to see they are addressing this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
After many years, it's time for us to get a 60" tv. I'm a dumbass and out of the loop with this stuff so please forgive these questions:

If our primary use of a tv is a lot of video game systems (that we watch blu-ray/dvds on also, I already have good HDMI converters for the older systems) and a VCR, is there anything in particular we need to worry about besides the refresh rate being 120hz?

We have an LCD now and stuff looks great on it but is there a legit noticeable difference between plasma/lcd? What's the deal with led tvs?

Lastly, more out of curiosity but is 3D a thing at all anymore? Is the 3D particularly better or worse from some companies' tvs?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 9, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Neo Rasa posted:

After many years, it's time for us to get a 60" tv. I'm a dumbass and out of the loop with this stuff so please forgive these questions:

If our primary use of a tv is a lot of video game systems (that we watch blu-ray/dvds on also, I already have good HDMI converters for the older systems) and a VCR, is there anything in particular we need to worry about besides the refresh rate being 120hz?

We have an LCD now and stuff looks great on it but is there a legit noticeable difference between plasma/lcd? What's the deal with led tvs?

Lastly, more out of curiosity but is 3D a thing at all anymore? Is the 3D particularly better or worse from some companies' tvs?

120hz refresh rate is the worst thing for video games. You want a set with acceptable input lag. Check with displaylag.com or rtings.com.

Plasma sets tend to get great contrast (read: true black) compared to LCD sets. LED is the new lighting source that makes most sets thinner and use less power compared to older fluorescent lighting. There's 2 types of LED lighting, local dimming and edge lit. Essentially where the LEDs are. Local dimming has the LEDS set behind the display and light up when needed and provide pretty good blacks that bring it really close to Plasma. Edge lit are LEDS set on the outside of the display pointed inward.

3D is sorta dead. The industry is already pushing for 4K and curved displays.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 9, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That said, Panasonic 3D blows and LG's passive is good.

Sony and Samsung aren't bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

120hz refresh rate is the worst thing for video games. You want a set with acceptable input lag. Check with displaylag.com or rtings.com.

Plasma sets tend to get great contrast (read: true black) compared to LCD sets. LED is the new lighting source that makes most sets thinner and use less power compared to older fluorescent lighting. There's 2 types of LED lighting, local dimming and edge lit. Essentially where the LEDs are. Local dimming has the LEDS set behind the display and light up when needed and provide pretty good blacks that bring it really close to Plasma. Edge lit are LEDS set on the outside of the display pointed inward.

3D is sorta dead. The industry is already pushing for 4K and curved displays.

This is awesome thanks for the sites. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I guess I'm an outlier in that I actually like the 3D gimmick, especially on animated films. I really only have experience with Samsung and Sharp, but both were certainly serviceable. I'm somewhat disappointed that it's going away because there are a lot of times that I really like it.