Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

just use hardware synths and bounce to cassette tapes :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Oh, okay, your objections to the TB-3 are because you didn't read the manual of one of the easiest to use synths ever made and maybe you're kind of dumb.

Here, let me solve this problem for you, I know it's really complicated so you might want to take notes: Turn the knob on the top right.

Ok that fixes one problem. My TB-3 did not come with a manual/sheet of paper.

Is there a knob or button that will turn this into a good instrument?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AxeBreaker posted:

So far, this sums up my synth experience:

Hard Synth (Korg Volca bass)
1. Open box
2. Put in batteries
3. Press key
4. Beeps come out, yay!

Soft Synth ( Komplete Elements with Reaktor player and Kontact)
1. Install Komplete. takes 45 mins.
2. Update Komplete, takes 45 mins
3. Struggle with getting midi keyboard and audio out to work
4. Midi works, adio doesn't
5. Audio works, is scratchy. Restart Reaktor, YAY BEEPS.
6. Start up kontact, try to set up audio, crashes
7. It crashes on startup several times in a row
8. starts up, try to get it to play over the right audio channels agin.
9. GOTO 6.

gently caress.

ALL the DAW's are like 400$ plus for the full version, if they are as annoying as Komplete I'll put off getting one as long as possible.

I think I only paid $300 for StudioOne and the only complaint I've had has been with the VST instruments it came with, the effects have been fantastic.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Yes, the necessary button in your case is probably attached to a peyote cactus.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

"Sell One Like This"

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

AxeBreaker posted:

ALL the DAW's are like 400$ plus for the full version, if they are as annoying as Komplete I'll put off getting one as long as possible.

Reaper is $60 (though if you're a cheapass you could just not pay at all) and has always been pretty stable for me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
If you have a Mac, logic is $200 and comes with a shitload of content.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sjoewe posted:

Anyone in need of some awesome static noises and background chatter to sample?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/a11_audio_db.html

Yes. Thank you.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah just get Reaper - http://www.reaper.fm/ - the trial version is fully featured and never ending if you're cheap. I own it and ableton and haven't opened ableton in forever.

Also, you can customize the hell out of it if you don't like the default. I haven't really moved stuff around just set it up for more screen space, but here's my current skin:

E: this image has made me aware i haven't even re-registered it since re-installing, the trial version is that unobtrusive!

E2: actually it has a pop up, i just leave my daw running for weeks at a time

field balm fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 5, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ok that fixes one problem. My TB-3 did not come with a manual/sheet of paper.

You and waffle should check the last page of the 'how do I recreate this sound' thread, someone was asking about 303 clones and the TB3 came up. :3

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Another demo: "The Wasteland"

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

The TB3 is TerriBle!
It looks neat but sounds like crud. I've only played with it for an hour or so but I don't think it even meets the fun toy criteria.

This sounds exactly like me in 1980something when I bought a TB303. "This is the worst poo poo to ever be spawned from Satan' arse", and it was $400 in 1980s money. Thing is, I did not think to gently caress with it. I respected this "Bass Synthesiser". If only I knew to hate it properly - and I think that's what to do with all the AIRA stuff. Hate it properly.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

just use hardware synths and bounce to cassette tapes :devil:

this! this!!

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

gonna return the listen-favours :roboluv:

this is cool & different; i know this'll seem obvious coming from me but have you tried bouncing this to tape? the wall of sound aesthetic would work really well if there was something homogeneous tying everything together (& also soften the high end). was it hand sequenced or is there something generative going on?

its like bitonal... polytonal or something(?). rad. doesn't remind me of anything else, which is a good thing imho. there's a nice BoC-y bit in the middle too; probably not intentional but that's the whole pulsing pad loop ownership they have i think.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
'50PLUGIN' code for 50% off imageline plugs if you didn't see their spamvertisement. Harmor seems p cool.

Fors Yard posted:

"Sell One Like This"

Nice!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

0dB posted:

This sounds exactly like me in 1980something when I bought a TB303. "This is the worst poo poo to ever be spawned from Satan' arse", and it was $400 in 1980s money. Thing is, I did not think to gently caress with it. I respected this "Bass Synthesiser". If only I knew to hate it properly - and I think that's what to do with all the AIRA stuff. Hate it properly.

I see what you're trying to say but it's completely not the same thing at all. The TB303 was created by Roland to give musicians a mechanical bass player they could practice with the same way the drum machine gave musicians a mechanical drummer they could practice with. It sucked for that purpose and no one bought it which it why it became so accessible to techno artists. They didn't buy it because it was a 303, they bought it initially because it was one of the cheapest things in the store and it had a lot of buttons. Soon after it's "off label" use became known, then people sought it out. I don't think those artists "hated" it, it was just a new toy to experiment with. The rest is history.

The whole ARIA line was designed around the fact that Roland's classic gear is highly sought after but few people want to pay $1000 for, say, an SH-101. That's an easy selling point, so consumers are poised to buy it. They're going to make techno tracks with it. The TB3 was created specifically with that use case in mind. It's great for that purpose too, but you can achieve the same thing with many other products on the market. Most products on the market from major manufacturers give you everything now a days (synth engine, sequencing, fx, etc). It will be very rare to see something like the TB303 ever again (from a major manufacturer) since it's a box that does a single thing and it's not something consumers are likely to buy (more is better, right?). When you only have one rule to break with an instrument the possibilities of finding new uses becomes more apparent. When you have a box that was designed to do more than one thing it's still possible to mold it into something that sounds "new" but it's not as straightforward.

Above all else though, know what *your* sound is and keep the gear that suits *your* sound.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 5, 2014

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

a_big_dog i think i'd like to do a remix of your 'parmenides' track if you're cool with that?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I see what you're trying to say but it's completely not the same thing at all. The TB303 was created by Roland to give musicians a mechanical bass player they could practice with the same way the drum machine gave musicians a mechanical drummer they could practice with. It sucked for that purpose and no one bought it which it why it became so accessible to techno artists. They didn't buy it because it was a 303, they bought it initially because it was one of the cheapest things in the store and it had a lot of buttons.

This was kind of my reasoning for buying a Volca bass instead of a x0xb0x. The Bass is not exactly a 303, but it's so much cheaper than the x0xb0x, and that made the difference for me. It might miss on some of the key points of 303 sound (no accent, not as peaky) but it can do a lot of things the 303 can't for a bargain price.

I might get a x0xb0x in the future but Bass synths are the lowest priority since I have one.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

AxeBreaker posted:

This was kind of my reasoning for buying a Volca bass instead of a x0xb0x. The Bass is not exactly a 303, but it's so much cheaper than the x0xb0x, and that made the difference for me. It might miss on some of the key points of 303 sound (no accent, not as peaky) but it can do a lot of things the 303 can't for a bargain price.

I might get a x0xb0x in the future but Bass synths are the lowest priority since I have one.

Yeah a Volca is a great example of a cheap, toyish, fun, useful device. I would say out of all the poo poo I own my Monotribe has actually been the thing I've used THE MOST because it's battery powered, I've modded it to send/receive MIDI, it has a cool sound onto itself, it has a ribbon controller keyboard, and it's great as a standalone sequencer (I mostly use it to sequence other gear). KORG does a very good job in this category of hardware.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Scatterfold posted:

a_big_dog i think i'd like to do a remix of your 'parmenides' track if you're cool with that?

Hey, sure! That'd be cool.

Definitely want to bounce that to tape (got a bunch more, too)... It's very 'computer' at the moment. That track is all follow actions in Ableton Live, with live... advancement, I guess. So half-generative, half-controlled!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Tehschulman has bad as gently caress opinions on the TB-3, so here's some pictures of the TB-3.

For anyone who saw my (apparently "goony as gently caress") Craigslist ad asking if anyone else was a talentless musician who wanted to jam, something actually came of it! After one 17 year old girl who played the drums and three people who wanted me to fill in spots in their pre-existing band, I met a guy with a worse case of GAS than me and with the same sense of his own future with synths. We grabbed coffee, hit it off, and then scheduled a time to meet up and jam. He likes techno, I like acid, soooooo it worked out pretty well on that front. We both had a TB-3, so I stuck my on a bass patch and we put his on lead, the Tempest pulled percussion duty. The Octatrack was just a clock because he hadn't really figured it out yet, and the A4 did some small amount of background garbage.

I'm also officially in love with the Sherman Filterbank :stare:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Tehschulman has bad as gently caress opinions on the TB-3, so here's some pictures of the TB-3.

For anyone who saw my (apparently "goony as gently caress") Craigslist ad asking if anyone else was a talentless musician who wanted to jam, something actually came of it! After one 17 year old girl who played the drums and three people who wanted me to fill in spots in their pre-existing band, I met a guy with a worse case of GAS than me and with the same sense of his own future with synths. We grabbed coffee, hit it off, and then scheduled a time to meet up and jam. He likes techno, I like acid, soooooo it worked out pretty well on that front. We both had a TB-3, so I stuck my on a bass patch and we put his on lead, the Tempest pulled percussion duty. The Octatrack was just a clock because he hadn't really figured it out yet, and the A4 did some small amount of background garbage.

I'm also officially in love with the Sherman Filterbank :stare:

Are you going to be the next Blawan and Pariah?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've never heard of them. Did they spend three hours and use several thousand dollars of gear making an acid loop?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I've never heard of them. Did they spend three hours and use several thousand dollars of gear making an acid loop?

These fellows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0k08fGBdk
E: so pretty much yes on both questions

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Also looking for the reason why they hid the body under the garage.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sjoewe posted:

These fellows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0k08fGBdk
E: so pretty much yes on both questions

Going by that set, yes but with two 303s.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Going by that set, yes but with two 303s.

And a lot of modular :can:

net work error posted:

Also looking for the reason why they hid the body under the garage.

But at least they do it with what they've got.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 5, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sjoewe posted:

And a lot of modular :can:

But at least they do it with what they've got.

Techno jokes ITT.

The Machinedrum has been the best purchase I've ever made. This thing is so versatile and I can't believe that I thought I would never need a drum machine since I had samples. Drum machines are cool y'all.

e: That article on Karenn is really good thanks for that.

net work error fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 5, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Looks impressive, Wafflehound. Did you guys record your session or just take pretty pictures of your gear?

Also, not to call you out exactly, but I'm wondering how someone as "in to" acid as yourself can prefer a machine that literally does the worst acid emulation of any machine on the market. AFAIK you own a TB-303 but you're using a TB-3 instead?

The Filterbank is great for making some big distorted sounds too (especially on drums) by the way, though if you couldn't figure out your modular setup you'll have a heck of a time programming a Filterbank (I know this from my own experience but won't be selling it any time soon).

EDIT: I'm working through the process of installing a solid state hard drive and CF card reader into my sampler. I dunno if anyone here uses samplers much (especially vintage units) but I have a whole bunch of useful info to bestow, what products work, which to avoid.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 5, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

net work error posted:

e: That article on Karenn is really good thanks for that.

:hf:

Almost the whole 'Machine Love' series is worth reading: http://www.residentadvisor.net/features.aspx?series=machine

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
It's not my filterbank, and I had no problems figuring out how my modular worked, I had a hard time justifying the cost relative to how much I was using it. I left the TB-303 on the mainland because the air here rusts everything and I'd rather have it in one piece long-term. You're definitely overstating how bad the TB-3 is, and you seem to have come in to it with the wrong attitude. It's not the best 303 by a long shot, no, but if you're stepping away from the computer intermittently then it's nice to have the effects built-in. And again, go past the relatively weak 303 emulation and there's some incredibly usable sounds, we got good mileage out of the B bank last night, which is the bass bank that doesn't try to be a 303. I'm sorry you're all pissed off that a machine everyone kind of admits sucks at sounding exactly like a 303 sucks at sounding exactly like a 303. The TB-3 is hardly to blame for your determination not to explore the potential of that little ugly black box.

There's also a short snip of the jam posted to the Facebook group.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Another sneak peek at the PO-12 by Cuckoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5a15IJqSc

I'm buying at least 2.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

net work error posted:

I'm buying at least 2.

That is amazing! Shame it's just such a fragile little box.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sjoewe posted:

That is amazing! Shame it's just such a fragile little box.

The previous videos from TE they mention that the videos made thus far are still just the prototype and the final product will actually come with a case and sturdier construction although the PCB look is pretty cool.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

That Karenn article is amazing, thanks for posting!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

net work error posted:

I'm buying at least 2.

I thought this guy starved to death in Alaska years ago. There was a film and everything?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

This was likely discussed at some point, but how is the key interface on the TB-3. It looks cheap to me, and when I'm dealing with a sequencing method anything close to a 303 the last thing I would want is unreliability in the interface. Do you make use of the other functions it has?

I do understand the appeal, but when I feel I would get tired of the real thing fairly quickly (since I don't make acid) I can't see enjoying a preset box with a limited interface (yeah yeah, MIDI in) that sounds like it. I need to find someplace to try one out just to be able to.

I have been fairly impressed by the System-1 though. Do you think they'll make a 303 plug out? I think they incorporated the internal 101 sequencer but I wonder how/if they incorporated the trigger. So much easier than counting out rests, plus allows for longer phrases.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Fors Yard posted:

I think they incorporated the internal 101 sequencer but I wonder how/if they incorporated the trigger.

Where did you read this? Because I've been following the development of the System-1 and Plug-out synths (please do the Jup-6 Roland, please), but from what I've seen/read so-far is that it actually lacks the sequencer. On the Roland website they only mention the arp, and I've not seen a sequenced video anywhere.

Triggering wouldn't be that difficult, just program the steps like on a real SH-101 and then instead of sending a trigger signal, allow midi notes to to play the sequence/arp on each received note.

However if they throw that in, I'm seriously considering trading my Bass Station II for the System-1, because the lack of a triggerable sequencer on the BS II is completely annoying and the promised firmware upgrade is already a year in the making, without any hopes of it actually being available in this decade.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Scatter, outside of setting 1, is beyond worthless. The sequencer doesn't feel like a flawless work of art but it certainly works well, and if you can get over the lack of tactile feedback it's actually probably the easiest to use x0x sequencer I know of, including VST ones. If you don't make acid I can definitely see how the appeal would be limited, since I mean it pretty much is the acid box. The sequencer does play nice with other synths though, you could drive a VST with it if you wanted which is a nice little boost to versatility in sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

/\/\/\ Good point on being able to use the sequencer with other gear. I would have fun with it for a while (the original more so), but it just baffles me how much they go for, and how much of a one trick pony it seems to me.

Nevermind I guess I was mistaken about the System-1. Looks like only the arpeggio. Guess there wouldn't be too much demand for it. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 5, 2014