Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

THS posted:

It's impressive but also kind of sad, like an autistic man recreating the entirety of the Battle of Hoth in legos.

Hyrule doesn't have an interesting or expanded backstory. Whoever did this is out of his loving gourd.

Sounds more fun than some of Rome 2. Where do I sign up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ofaloaf posted:

oh my gently caress

If half of that is actually poo poo that can be in a battle, god drat that guy's done good poo poo with Medieval 2.

That's not even the half of it. The features in the freeform campaign mode alone are pretty nuts. Every faction has a playstyle along with a unique tech tree and units/heroes/skills specific to their themes from their game. One or two of which are in fact Godzilla sized. And that's not even going into all the other stuff i'm not going to touch on for fear of turning this post into an essay. If someone wants me to describe the factions to show what I mean then I can, but otherwise that'd be way too many :words: to put into a post.

To give a short idea of it though, I just played as the Sheikah last night. I chose a political stance that let me found a kingdom (You start out acting as a city-less secret police for Hyrule. Complete with an army of assassins, spies, diplomats, and elite soldiers to take out or divert threats to Hyrule.) and then started mass mind controlling soldiers from Hyrule to create regiments of those red knights from Link to the Past while carefully staying under Hyrule's radar and appearing loyal. Since who the gently caress wants to play second fiddle to an AI controlled empire?

I did this using the Sheikah's hero Agahnim from the same game. Agahnim himself has a hero ability thanks to a unique retainer that causes all enemies near him to turn on each other and murder each other, which is one of many abilities that isn't even in the base game. I'm now slowly using him to turn Hyrule into the same sort of place as it was in Link to the Past. That's a thing you can actually do in the game.

The game is the product of fan obsession and hilarious grimdark fan wankery. Case in point, I just accidentally recreated the plot to LttP with the same villain. And there's no loving way some kid in a green tunic is going to stop me since I have the advantage of being forewarned of that little poo poo. :v:

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Seriously, people saying this guy is crazy really need to check out the awful mod thread to see what real crazy is. Hell given what other avenues an obsession with Zelda could go down this is positively healthy and constructive.

Thoughts about the setting aside, it really does need to be said that anyone who says that this mod is pathetic hasn't checked out the awful/awesome mods thread and seen what people on the Nexus create. Some creeps nude/fetish mods are pathetic. This is pretty awesome in the scope of how well done and large it is. Hell, it's been featured in a ton of different video game publications and at one point was mistaken as an actual Nintendo spin-off of the series.

It's gotten so popular at this point that it's getting expansion packs to the mod like it's a real game. And supposedly Andy Serkis (The guy who voiced Gollum.) apparently even voices Majora. There's a good clip of him laughing at the end of the intro cinematic. So the usual bugs aside from large projects like this, the thing's approaching a professional level of quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez0YnwIliAc

If nothing else it's a testament to how lovely the mod support since Medieval 2 has been. The fact that someone could do something like that on an ancient engine and game is pretty impressive all by itself. Imagine what could have been done if there was proper mod support for games like Shogun 2, Empire, or Napoleon instead of the hacked in and partially usable methods we got?

Earwicker posted:

of all the hosed up and weird poo poo that extreme video nerds sink thousands of hours into, a total conversion zelda mod for M2:TW is really one of the least crazy things I've seen in the grand scheme of things even if it is completely ridiculous. although yes if all that was done by one person this thing is probably literally their entire life which is rather sad

Apparently the guy has literally gone on record as having said "Never underestimate a disappointed fan with no life and something to prove.". So at least he's a self aware nerd.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 5, 2014

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Archonex posted:

If someone wants me to describe the factions to show what I mean then I can, but otherwise that'd be way too many :words: to put into a post.

:allears: I would love this, if you have the time/inclination. This sounds bonkers and great.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

AesirKnight posted:

:allears: I would love this, if you have the time/inclination. This sounds bonkers and great.

Hoo boy. Here we go then. If you want me to keep going after this :words: laden document i'll run down the list of playable, incomplete, complete, NPC, and neutral/special factions as best I can. I'm just getting into the newest version, which is still being bug tested, so I haven't been able to check everything out yet too. I'll copy the official list of strengths and weaknesses from the game and wiki (Which is the same thing basically.) as well, for anyone curious about that stuff.

I'll just do the Kingdom of Hyrule at first since there's so many factions and the way Hyrule's factions are ordered is a nice introductory progression into the tactical, narrative, and strategic insanity this game has. If people really want to see how far the rabbit hole goes I can keep going.

Don't forget that I warned you that this was going to be a poo poo-ton of text too. :stonk:

The Kingdom of Hyrule factions:

The Actual Kingdom of Hyrule:

The first faction is the most tame of them all, and is a big part of the premise of the game, so i'll start with them. You've seen this race before in almost every game if you've played one of the Zelda games before. Mechanically the actual province of Hyrule are the generalists of the game. They're most "normal" faction of the game in combat compared to vanilla in that they fight like an army from vanilla. They have cavalry, knights, infantry, etc, etc.

Strategically they're unique however in that they own an empire. And this isn't a contiguous empire that they own every part of directly. Rather, there's a poo poo-ton of playable factions that make up different counties, provinces, and even political factions within the kingdom. These factions, provinces, etc, etc, each have their own agendas and act as a sort of mega alliance that can betray or even declare war on the Kingdom of Hyrule. In fact, a few, like the Wizrobes are literally meant to do this in a pretty hilarious fashion. More on them later.

What this all boils down to is that a properly played Hyrule game plays out like a poor man's Crusader Kings 2 game. You've got like half a dozen different factions pulling one way or another in the kingdom depending on how the game goes. Thankfully you have your :ninja: Sheikah to pull the occasional hail mary off and quell rebellions every now and then.

Hero wise the kingdom itself only has Zelda. Who is actually a combat troop and will gently caress poo poo up given half the chance. Apparently this grimdark future has taught her how to not get beaten by Ganon every game. So that's a plus. Her special ability is called "Knightly Order", which causes all units fleeing the battlefield on her side of the fight to rally and move to her. Which is a pretty loving unwelcome surprise when if you encounter her during a battle of attrition.

Story wise the game takes place in a "What If" universe where Link looked at the temple of time in the Ocarina of Time, realized he'd have to give up like half his life to journey into the future to fight Ganondorf in a nightmarish near post apocalyptic world, and promptly said "gently caress this poo poo." and did an about face to go back to being a kid and chill with Saria. This caused a TIME PARADOX (Seriously.) where Link was removed from this grimdark timeline.

As a result Hyrule became much more militaristic to survive since Link wasn't there to carry them through every conflict they have. This also means that they're drat near nazi-like towards every other race that isn't Hyrulian since everyone treats each other like each of the races do in Warhammer Fantasy. So everyone outside the Kingdom hates them, and they tend to go on crusades against races like the moblins like a fat guy binging at an all you can eat buffet. Fun times.

quote:

Strengths, Weaknesses and Abilities
Generalist: The Kingdom of Hyrule fields a selection of soldiers that cover all disciplines.
Dominant Empire: The Kingdom of Hyrule begins the campaign with notably more territory than any other faction.
Plains Fighter: The Kingdom of Hyrule excels at combat on open plains.
Universal Tyrants: Many races dislike Hylian mentality and zealotry. It is harder for the Kingdom of Hyrule to make alliances in the campaign because of this.

Ordona Province:

And yes, that is a goat. A tank sized goat called the "Elder Goat". It is wonderful at charging things.

So Ordona is a province in this game too. These are another faction from the Ocarina of Time. We're still in fairly normal territory here, so bear with me. The pay-off for it is worth it once you see how crazy factions after the more vanilla ones get.

Ordona is a playable province and starts out in the Kingdom of Hyrule. Being that this is a war game in a grimdark timeline they obviously have gone militaristic too. Though backstory wise they're much more sympathetic than Hyrule, who are like two steps off from putting the fantasy reich. They mostly just don't want to get eaten by moblins or any of the other nasties, so they have a ton of peasant levies to defend themselves. Nothing is stopping you from going all Genghis Khan on the world though.

Mechanically they play fairly normally on the strategic map. In battles they're literally a province of dirty human farmers with the best goddamn cavalry in the game.

Note that they also have a fairly unique look. Any race that has a distinct graphical appearance like the Kukori or Ordonans is going to get that look in the game. That means if they're slightly more well shaded in the canon, or they have a slightly cartoonier look, typically they'll get it if it isn't too ridiculous. Mostly you only see this in the factions that come from the N64 era of games since they had a stylized look.

They have no heroes that I can remember, though I may be wrong there as of version 3.6. This is probably due to them being a bunch of filthy peasants in service to the kingdom of Hyrule. However their cavalry is pretty much a game breaker if you use it right. Imagine a horde of unwashed peasants rushing a wave of huge moblins with makeshift spears, harvesting sickles, and knives, all on top of ripped steroidal horses and goats and you get the idea.

quote:

Cavalry Breeders: Ordona Province is well known for their horses and goats, both which grant Ordona the best cavalry in all of Hyrule.
Ancestral Farmers: Ordona Province was founded as a farming nation and continues to be to this day. Ordona Farms provide a higher yield of income in the campaign compared to those of other empires.
Lower Class: Most Ordonians are dirt poor farmers and peasants, and only know basic fighting techniques. As such they are not skilled for full scale warfare.
Winter Born: The long winter seasons of Ordona Province have made the Ordonians adapt to the cold. Ordonians excel at combat in snow.

The Sheikah Cadre

:ninja: meets :cthulhu:

This is where the game starts to get a bit batshit in its mechanics. The Sheikah are not a nation at all. In fact, they're the Hyrule equivalent of the secret police and movers and shakers of the kingdom. This means they don't start off with any cities at all and get funded by the kingdom so long as it's capable.

Strategically they're pretty crazy. They have two "stances" that determine what sort of faction they are. Let me just quote the wiki here to explain how it works, since otherwise it'd be too much text to type out.

quote:

The Sheikah will have two "stances" they can switch between during a campaign: Shadow Stance and Death Stance.

Shadow Stance

The Shadow Stance is the default stance the Sheikah begin with. While operating under Shadow Stance the following effects are in place:

New Sheikah are constantly trained for free and will spawn under your command when they finish their lifelong training.

The Kingdom of Hyrule and Strict Goddess Worship factions are always considered your allies no matter the circumstance.

Sheikah cannot be defeated so long as the Kingdom of Hyrule controls Kakariko or Hyrule Prime.

All cities you take control of are given to the Kingdom of Hyrule at the start of their turn.

The following units are available: Spies, Monks, Truthbearers, Blood Wizards.

There are some really obvious advantages to operating under this stance. For one, you can't lose a game as long as the Kingdom of Hyrule controls Kakariko or Hyrule Prime. Eventually new Sheikah will finish their training in either city and spawn under your command in the instance that everything you own dies. This creates a new dynamic in that a Sheikah player no longer has to worry about managing cities or maintaining their armies, rather the Sheikah can then focus on what they do best: Influencing the direction of their puppets and killing off potential enemies before they grow too powerful.

In Shadow Stance you'll be able to focus on completing missions and defending the Kingdom of Hyrule from enemy attacks while setting up forts and watchtowers on enemy borders. You'll be able to freely harass enemies attempting to expand to unowned settlements without having to worry about leaving a city undefended. If you want the Kingdom of Hyrule to expand to a particular location, take over a city there and give them the foothold they need.

The goal is to almost make it feel like the Kingdom of Hyrule and Sheikah are two parts of one whole: The Sheikah manage all the behind the scenes dirty business while the Kingdom directs and defends the cities. Likewise this also plays out if you are the Kingdom of Hyrule: You can expect the Sheikah to occasionally help you save one of your cities under attack, or find a city you did not mean to take over end up under your control.

Death Stance

The Death Stance can be initiated when things start taking a turn for the worse. While operating under Death Stance the following effects happen:

Kakariko falls under your control if the Kingdom of Hyrule possesses it.

All cities you take control of are not given to the Kingdom of Hyrule on their turn.

The Kingdom of Hyrule and Strict Goddess Worship Factions can potentially dislike and declare war on you.

Can be defeated if every city and unit you control is destroyed.

Sheikah do not undergo traditional training and instead must be recruited like normal soldiers.

The following units are available: Soldiers of Agahnim, Interrogators, Kingmakers.

When activating Death Stance, the Sheikah play a lot more like the traditional factions. Kakariko is immediately given over to the Sheikah if the Kingdom of Hyrule controls it.

In addition, any city you conquer is kept under the banner of the Sheikah and is not given to the Hylians. You'll be able to command and dictate what to build in your cities and what units you can produce, including none other than the infamous brainwashed Hylians.

While it may seem like this stance is superior to the Shadow Stance from a military perspective (and indeed it is), it is recommended only operating under this mode when things are falling apart and the Kingdom of Hyrule is near ruins. Going into Death Stance early on when there's no real reason can severely hurt relations with the Royal Family and ties to the Kingdom of Hyrule and cripple your economy.

Loyalty is much harder to maintain when in this stance and many factions will not look too kindly on a new empire suddenly taking up real estate. The use of this stance is also present when you are playing as the Kingdom of Hyrule: you can expect the Sheikah to take over the keys of the Kingdom if you are doing a terrible job managing Hyrule.

So basically they're your BFF's when the Hyrule faction is doing well, and a potential political and military threat when it starts to crumble. Also, they're obsessed with staying pure blooded, as they're the last ancient hylians. So they get ridiculously small troop sizes as a result. Whereas an army might field a unit of 100-200 troops per unit at most, they only get like 22 troops to a unit tops outside of their brainwashed soldier regiments.

However their combat skills are nuts. And they move like ninjas. And two troops of them can steamroll a regiment of those hundred troops with little trouble if you set up an ambush right. And they're ridiculous when dealing with factions with no professional military, like the mud farmers of Ordona, which means they're a big threat to rebellion on turn 1 of the game since Kakariko is literally one province away from them. If you've ever wanted to see a bunch of ninjas go all one man army on, well, an army, this faction's your choice.

I'm not sure if the AI can handle the stance switching in the campaign since i've never actually started to lose a game except against the Gohma (Who ate Kakariko and all the Sheikah units before they reached me.), but even if they don't the community fan patches ensure that every faction is playable by the AI on the map. So it's irrelevant either way.

Hero wise they get three heroes last I played a long game with them. Agahnim is the first one, from LttP, who can use his Eye of Truth ability to brainwash any nearby enemy soldiers into fighting for the Sheikah once per battle. The other is Impa. Who is an awakened sage/assassin that has the ability to drastically increase the instant kill chance for every soldier on her side near her while reducing it for nearby enemies. Both are pretty powerful if used properly, as befitting a faction that is focused around small units knowing when to ambush other units to utterly destroy them.

There's also Azrily and Bongo-Bongo, who are apparently new to the latest version of the game. The first has has the most :black101: skill i've seen so far in version 3.6. Her special skill? To gruesomely murder a nearby unit as horrifically as possible, reducing the morale of all other nearby units, potentially causing a mass rout. :black101:

Bongo-Bongo (otherwise known as Deathl) is the first of those "ridiculously large monsters" I can mention. Apparently according to the wiki you can unlock it's use in the freeform campaign somehow. This is what it it looks like. I'll let it's appearance speak for itself.

:cthulhu:

quote:

Strengths, Weaknesses, and Abilities

Hide in Plain Sight: All Sheikah are able to hide from an enemy force in any condition.
Master Assassins: The Sheikah are highly skilled killers and can usually eliminate an opponent with one well placed blow.
Dying Race: Strict marriage rituals and pure blooded pairings have kept the Sheikah population fairly low, and as such their armies tend to be very small compared to other forces.
Master Manipulators: The Sheikah are usually influencing their neighbour empires, particularly the Kingdom of Hyrule. In the campaign they are able to leech income and resources from their neighbors.

The Order of the Wizzrobes

:pedo: meets :science: meets :commissar:

When I said up above that this is where the factions start to get batshit I really wasn't kidding. Brace yourself.

The Wizzrobes are yet another non-city based faction. In fact they're one of the political groups that make up the Kingdom. And they are hilarious. More on that in a second.

First of all, like most of the factions I can mention from here on out, they are very unique. They have pretty much no melee units. In fact, as their name implies, every one of their units is a wizard. That means they have crazy rear end ranged attacks like shooting fireballs at things, hitting them with tidal waves and streams of water like they're trying to break up a riot, to even a bunch of death wizards summoning up those motherfucking hands from the games that'd grab you and take you back to the entrance of the dungeon.

Oh, and some of their wizards are so strong that they double as infantry based cannons like in Napoleon. To the point where they can fire at walls and knock them down. So have fun dealing with these fuckers if you piss them off. And they want you to be pissed off at them. Again, more on that in a second.

Strategically, provided he finished the faction mechanics in 3.6 (I haven't checked. They were still in progress in 3.5.) they don't conquer cities. They convert them to their religion. Which is a made up religion based on Hylia, a character from the lore. At the start every Hyrulian city has relatively high levels of "Strict Goddess" worship. Which is equivalent to not worshipping the Wizzrobes' new religion.

So you train bishops and send them out to convert populations. You also train units from cathedrals, which you set up in the country-side outside cities. A cathedral is their version of an outpost. Think that church from LttP. Once the religion levels get high enough from proselytizing the population may revolt and invade their former owner's city, giving it to you. Meanwhile the other rulers can only fume at you loving with them in a way that doesn't require declaring war.

Not that they can't just do the job themselves if you leave a city undefended. And they will. Because they are dicks. Again, in a second I shall explain why.

Hero wise they get a bunch of heroes. The big one is Hylia though. A frigging goddess that went all genocidal on the moblins millenia ago. She rides around on a flying golden throne like she's the Emperor from Warhammer 40K. Said goddess can fire a huge gently caress off laser that is only eclipsed by the fairy faction's Tarm, who can fire a fabulously pink (Like everything else in their arsenal.) building sized laser that vaporizes anything it hits instantly. It's so strong it can knock down walls. And if that doesn't work she can all road rampage on you with the throne, running your rear end over and getting an unstoppable charge attack that sends enemies flying like she's a character from Dynasty Warriors.

Now, why are the Wizzrobes a passively aggressive hostile faction to Hyrule, and an outright aggressive faction to every other nation and race? Why are they even a faction? Surprisingly, for once, TVTropes explains it best:

quote:

She was once a Hylian infused with magic power that turned her into a god. As a result, people began worshiping her above the Goddesses themselves. When Demise made her realize her crimes she withdrew from Hyrule and asked for sanctuary to the Wizzrobes, who erased every trace of her existence in exchange for the knowledge of her magical powers. Now she's come back with the Order of the Wizzrobes and she's gathering more followers, but her real plan is to get ridden of anybody who betrays the Goddesses for Hylia and make sure only true followers are left.

Her plan (and the gameplay) is to create a religion around herself and be an antagonistic dick while converting everyone to it. This is part of an insane plan by the Wizzrobes to see who is really loyal to the Goddesses she believes she's betrayed by thinking she was one herself. Anyone that repents before the coming purge will be forgiven and is known as a true worshiper of the Goddesses. Anyone that doesn't repent and believes in the religion that the Wizzrobes themselves converted them too and claimed was real by producing a frigging literal goddess will get :commissar:'d when the jig is up.

It's a faction of literally magic trolls. Whose leader rides around in a pimped out golden throne that fires lasers and has an army of avian worshippers that squawk and can shoot lightning out of their asses. The Mechwarrior goons would be proud. :psyduck:

And to be clear, these are just the introductory factions. I haven't gotten into poo poo like the Stalfos, who are an in progress faction that is a literal necromantic horde that grows when killing something. Or the Gohma, which make the zerg look tame when it comes to rushing poo poo with large numbers of horrifying bug monsters. Or the Labrynna Regime, which can undergo a possibly demonic inspired clockpunk/steampunk revolution during the game. With mechs.

And they aren't even necessarily the craziest factions. I could tell you about the fairies who will nuke you with lasers while being fabulous. Or the hell spawned skeleton hordes of a dead civilization that literally cannot die. Or the Oocca, a race of hyper advanced chickens riding in humanoid powered armor that are planned to be introduced once the Majora religion and faction is in. Apparently the chickens Link could attack were devolved compared to their true glory.

And yes, that last one is serious. There's a reason why the spergier Zelda fans tend to foam at the mouth when you bring this mod up.

And the mod maker did all this with Medieval 2's engine. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 5, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Caps is required.

KEEP THE gently caress GOING.

This is selling me on it more and more.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Well I can't find any mirrors other than this ModDB link but it's surprisingly not going shittastically slow like ModDB tends to.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Bloodly posted:

Caps is required.

KEEP THE gently caress GOING.

This is selling me on it more and more.

Agreed! This is great, thank you.

I do sometimes feel bad that I'd rather read about most of these mods than actually play them, but...it's a good read!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

Well I can't find any mirrors other than this ModDB link but it's surprisingly not going shittastically slow like ModDB tends to.

Just a fair warning but the new version is kind of buggy as it's the initial release of a large update. He implemented functionality for civil wars in this version, with the Twilight faction getting the feature first. On top of that, instead of the "you're stuck with this side forever" way vanilla TW games do it, you can choose which side to control. However to do that he had to hack in a method that makes the game a hotseat campaign, and the transition caused some pretty big bugs.

That being said, the community apparently is so fanatical that they took it on themselves to fast track a fan patch that fixes most of the bugs. So grab that if you can. Or grab the 3.52 version or whatever the last version from the 3.5 series was. You won't get the newer features like the civil war mechanics, but when I played that it was extremely stable.

I might type up some more in a second. Some of the crazier stuff really needs to be seen to be believed. Like the inclusion of part of an entirely different planet from Hyrule to play on during the freeform mode, along with the race that goes with it. Said race can launch an inter-planetary/inter-dimensional invasion of Hyrule once they've built up a bit on their home world. Surprisingly, this is canon to the actual series.

If there's anything specific someone wants to hear about let me know and i'll see if I can give some details on it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 5, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Holy mother of god :jebstare:.

How the gently caress can you even hack half of this poo poo into Medieval 2? It's like something I would have thought up of when M2 first came out, only made competently(?).

Archonex posted:

I'll type up some more in a second. Some of the crazier stuff really needs to be seen to be believed. Like the inclusion of part of an entirely different planet from Hyrule to play on during the freeform mode, along with the race that goes with it. Said race can launch an inter-planetary/inter-dimensional invasion of Hyrule once they've built up a bit on their home world. Surprisingly, this is canon to the actual series.

Wait, is that the Twili or whatever from Twilight Princess? That's actually pretty cool. I can't imagine actually playing this.... thing but it's fun to read about like that Planet War mod with the Shreks, the Cookie Monsters, Godzillas and whatnot.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Wait, is that the Twili or whatever from Twilight Princess? That's actually pretty cool. I can't imagine actually playing this.... thing but it's fun to read about like that Planet War mod with the Shreks, the Cookie Monsters, Godzillas and whatnot.

It is absolutely Twili. You start out playing as Midna and her loyalists. Then you need to conquer the planet so you can get the resources and money to build the twilight gate to reach hyrule and all the other nearby countries (Did I mention that they're in game and factions too? Because they are. Even Subrosia from that one Gameboy game is in. Hell, one of the factions are the Deku Tribes, which are those tiny nut shooting plant monsters from Ocarina of Time.) so you can invade them.

In the 3.6 version series Zant will betray Midna and launch a coup at some point, with you being able to choose which side to support in the civil war. I'm not sure how it works since I haven't played that faction in 3.6 yet, but it sounds suitably entertaining.

The Twilight faction itself is really interesting from a gameplay perspective. Each unit is heavily specialized in its role, and they're one of the few factions with flying units from the mod makers early attempts to add in flying units. Overall the faction is very technical, with a lovecraftian appearance to go with their world.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 5, 2014

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

This is great, thank you Archonex. Making my evening commute way more bearable!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Honestly this looks better than any of the actual Zelda games

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So I mentioned Subrosia. Subrosia represents one of the NPC only minor factions that have new mod specific mechanics associated with them. I figure I had might as well type up how they work since it shows off a bunch of new stuff. I won't show all the minor factions off, since there's so many, but Subrosia is a good example of one to demonstrate what they're about.

Minor factions are non-playable factions with a small unit tree, but big bonuses from getting them on your side. And unlike in vanilla or any other TW, you don't actually have to invade them. If you have a positive relation with them they may offer to join your empire of their own free will, freeing up their cities for your use and allowing them to build their unique units for you. There's a whole bunch of them, and they all have some neat stuff to them.

To give an example of one, let's talk about :

Subrosia

Subrosia originated in Oracle of Seasons. Since it was one of the old gameboy games there wasn't much there, so the mod maker went whole hog on designing more stuff for them. This resulted in them being sandlava worm riding mining experts that could gently caress you up given half a chance.

Like most NPC only factions, something has to be done by another faction for them to interact with the game world. In this case after so many turns a tunnel appears that can lead to the underworld (Yes, there's another section of the world outside of the overworld and Hyrule, though it's limited to a small area.). Once they're "activated" they generally start out as neutral to everyone but the setting appropriate monsters that roam the overworld, which the Subrosians don't have to worry about since they're in the underworld. So they tend to be free to build up a pretty fearsome army if left alone.

Whoever controls the town of Xolin can access the tunnel. This lets them choose whether to try to coax their units into their empire, or just march an army down there and engage in a war in hell.

And it is indeed hell. Here's what part of their capital battle map looks like. Capital battles are a new feature to the game. Each race has a unique battle map fitting their themes. Eventually every settlement will have one, but for now apparently the mod maker decided to make it a sort of meta-feature itself by introducing new combat mechanics via capital battles and a few unique settlements elsewhere. I think Hyrule has all of their custom settlements so far, for instance.

Nothing but burnt wasteland and lava with some primitive Subrosian structures for as far as the eye can see.

Other minor factions include the Horonians who appear when someone explores into the far east, which is apparently filled with actual monsters from the game that act as randomly spawning rebel units. There's also the Huskus Hive, a slightly nicer but still xenophobic version of the Gohma. And there's also the Zuna, who are in the desert with the Gerudo and Darknuts, and tend to ally with one or the other. There's also a bunch of other minor NPC factions i'm forgetting the name of.

As for the Subrosians, odds are the Labrynnians will meet them first. Which if you're playing them to type means hilarity (IE: A trench war in hell.) will ensue. I'll get into the Labrynnians later if people want. They're probably my favorite faction given how they work and what your overall goals are. For now i'll just say that they play like some sort of schizophrenic mix of Hyrule if it was infantry based and a WW1 trench war (if WW1 had mechs) in combat. Which they can build on the battlefields.

For now let me show off some of the new battlefields since that's easier than typing out another thousand or so words. I yanked them off of the wiki since it's the quickest way to show off a few of the new battlefield types.

The Lon Lon Ranch from Ocarina of Time, currently getting mobbed by a poo poo ton of soldiers.

Domain Prime, from the Zora Nazis Dominion faction, a faction I haven't even mentioned yet. Seriously, there are a lot of goddamn factions in this game. That's one of many reasons why I warned people about the long posts it takes to describe this game. Note that the Zora faction that nutranurse mentioned below is not the only type of Zora you can play as. In reality there are three types all in all. One is carnivorous and plays like an aquatic river based version of Genghis Khan in the vanilla TW games. Only you can't settle in the cities. The only thing you can do is eat the inhabitants once you take it over. :unsmigghh:

The entrance to a Twili city called Uzu.

The Grand Hive of the Gohma, which are the closest thing the game has to a Zerg inspired faction. You really need a video to appreciate how many of these fuckers will take the field in a fight. An average army on normal size settings may field a thousand or two. Their average army size might be around five thousand. They're big on attrition in terms of mechanics.

I'll type up descriptions of some more of the playable factions next once I get the time. If anyone has any questions about the game or wants to hear about a specific one of the factions just let me know and i'll add them into the post.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 6, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Earwicker posted:

Honestly this looks better than any of the actual Zelda games

TBH, it kind of is. :v: My problem with the Zelda games is that they're basically all the same loving game with different graphics if we're lucky. The Zelda TW mod allows you to:

+Play a normal empire conquering and building poo poo
+Play as rapacious Zora who get units by raiding/conquering cities and spawning units from rivers
+Undead motherfuckers who get more troops from winning battles with less-than-full stacks (and the troops you get is determined by what kind of army you were fighting!)
+Immortal legions who when they die just respawn in some netherworld and you can march them right back into the world good as new
+Avian wizards who can recruit units by building church-forts in independant/claimed territory and slowly converting the populace to your side
+This is on top of custom settlements that have rammifications on how sieges go, i.e. some cities have designed choke points or are assaulted from all over the place or have cool overhead areas where defenders can post archers to rain death down on baddudes running through your streets

I mean, poo poo dude, the mod breathes new life into a game that's almost a decade old.

OH YEAH, and you can recruit NPC races into your faction and get new troops/bonuses. The mod's pretty loving cool, man.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A long time ago I used to wonder "why would God, in his infinite wisdom, afflict people with asperger's syndrome. Surely autism serves no purpose in the grand scheme of things except to be an unnecessary burden."

And now, in the dawn of the internet age, I see now God's wondrous plan. This mod is concentrated autism, and it is glorious. Seriously, this gigantic mod is based on loving ZELDA and the developer has done all of THAT.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Archonex posted:

As for the Subrosians, odds are the Labrynnians will meet them first. Which if you're playing them to type means hilarity (IE: A trench war in hell.) will ensue. I'll get into the Labrynnians later if people want. They're probably my favorite faction given how they work and what your overall goals are. For now let i'll just say that they play like some sort of schizophrenic mix of Hyrule if it was infantry based and a WW1 trench war (if WW1 had mechs) in combat. Which they can build on the battlefields.

You had me at trench warfare. :allears: I'm downloading this immediately, it seems amazing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You had me at trench warfare. :allears: I'm downloading this immediately, it seems amazing.

They're very research oriented, which I don't think i've ever seen in any TW game before. You basically play a colonial empire hungry for more resources so it can do clockpunk/steampunk science. :science:

You start out with some colonial slaves from a race called the Tokay and some exploration units that help build up your horribly classist (and probably racist) colonial empire. You can then then can tech up to better gear, which eventually leads to guns, which lets you set up barricades on the battlefield and volley shots into enemies while waging the closest thing a TW game has to trench warfare on the more technologically primitive races.

Then eventually you can research power armor, at which point the game has gone completely bonkers and split from Zelda altogether. And by power armor I mean you can recruit units that stride into battle wearing some sort of fantasy powered armor that makes no sense and looks cool as hell.

Oh, and your first real task is probably going to be to track down and purge the fabulously colorful laser shooting fairy faction from the face of hyrule. Since magical land loving fairies and a land raping imperialistic empire aren't exactly likely to get along. :black101:

While I try and get the screenshots together some more of the factions, here's an old and somewhat ridiculous trailer that was put up on Youtube for the mod. Even if it is a bit hokey it helps illustrate that this mod is absolutely batshit crazy.

http://youtu.be/z9awswnrSwM?t=1m28s

The part I started it off at gives a brief glimpse at:

- The hordes of Termina. Which are literally immortal, slightly egyptian themed, hellbound undead hordes that crawl back to life out of a hole leading to a hell dimension whenever someone kills them. And that's a gameplay mechanic too, as nutranurse pointed out.

- A godzilla sized Majora from the as of yet implemented Majora faction. That's a castle he's popped out of.

- Some other huge monster that i'm not familiar with. Maybe some Zelda sperg can identify it. Personally I think that thing kind of looks like one of those fire spitting piranha plants from Super Mario.

- The Gerudo. IE: The desert lesbians faction.

- The Lizalfos. Which are another faction of Aztec themed lizards. Their capital is even some sort of sacrificial pyramid.

- The Moblin faction, and a hero related to them, Demise. Who looks like he'd be more in line with a character from Diablo than anything else.

- One of the heroes from one of the Zora factions. Which appears to have some really goddamn sharp wings. :stare:

The main reason I posted it though was to show off the way the Gohma fight, which is pretty unique to the mod. It's shown starting at around 1:50. If you're wondering how they fight, it's with waves on waves of skulltula's and other arachnid like monsters with horrifying black and orange eyes for a head. And those monsters were taken from the actual games. What the gently caress Nintendo. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 6, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
:stare: I mean I follow M:TW 2 mods pretty closely and I... I just assumed the Zelda mod was some Zelda factions shoe horned into normal gameplay. This is is insane. This is amazing.

Thanks for these indepth posts Archonex!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

:stare: I mean I follow M:TW 2 mods pretty closely and I... I just assumed the Zelda mod was some Zelda factions shoe horned into normal gameplay. This is is insane. This is amazing.

Thanks for these indepth posts Archonex!

No problem. Someone asked about little known awesome M:TW 2 mods so I figured i'd point one out.

Since i'm hip deep in posting about this stuff already i'll just go and type up some more stuff. I figured i'd type up some stuff about an entirely different region of the world, since the game isn't just about Hyrule, but the entire setting as it was represented in every game up to Twilight Princess (and past that with the new expansion). To that end here's some stuff about the far east factions of the game.

The Labrynna Regime

:science: meets imperialism. Also, yes, that is a goddamn steam tank sporting an organ shaped exhaust vent in the next to last image.

So I mentioned the Labrynna Regime, but I didn't really do it justice. As the unit images show they're very much aesthetically a sort of steampunk imperialistic nation. Except instead of the pretty "sanitized" version of steampunk which is nothing but corsets and clockwork steam designs they have all of the nasty stuff of the industrial revolution and imperial eras going on too. They reflect that with their gameplay and designs, which all have a sort of "intrepid explorer" look to them.

Unlike most nations they're unique to just about any TW mod and game in that they're a very progression oriented faction. You don't just start out building steam tanks and regiments of gunners like it's no big deal. You start out with those weird frog men, who are in fact naive natives that think being enslaved in exchange for clothes is a good idea. You also get some basic pioneers and are told to go build a nation while researching new weapons to use and ways to outfit your military.

From there you can do whatever you want. However Labrynna is on the far east end of the world, away from many other nations. This means that to invade the more recognizable nations (or vice versa) you'll need to cross lots of dangerous land. So it pays to consolidate a bit first by building an empire in the east.

Tech wise and combat wise they do best at range. This is complemented by their gunners, which can set up barricades and trenches to fire from behind while their Tokay slaves soldiers charge out across the field and get slaughtered by friendly fire and the enemy. Cannons are also available, and if well placed can slaughter entire armies if they can't get by your expendable melee troops to reach them.

Now unusually for a TW game I should mention that the Tokay slaves soldiers will get slaughtered by the enemy, but that doesn't matter. Heck, the Tokay unit's name is "Cannon Fodder", and in a bit of black comedy some of them will have shields that are painted with a bullseye on them. So it's pretty obvious what they're for once you obtain the ability to produce gunners and cannons.

Oh, and they can actually rebel. There is a rebellion type where the Tokay decide that they've had enough and try and take over a city. Suddenly the cannon fodder becomes a lot more deadlier early on when they have walls to hide from your gunners behind, forcing you to storm the city with your cannon fodder and pioneer troops. In the tight streets of a Labryinnian city they can bog down units and wear down more professional armies through their sheer numbers. Talk about a lethal joke unit.

Strategically they're very much an empire builder sort of nation, only with even more of a focus than normal for a TW faction on the empire building part. You have plenty of space and want a good economy to keep pumping research into building better units and protecting your borders from threats. You have neither security nor a steady influx of cash at the start, so that's probably going to be your first priority.

Furthermore, to the north are the fairies, who are fabulous, hate you, and want to shoot pink and neon doom lasers at you for despoiling the land. And they can hide in the huge tract of wooded land to the north very easily, creating a horrifying grueling ground war that is somewhat reminiscent of Vietnam if the AI is lucky and plays its cards right early on.

To that end no one in the traditional and more well known canon factions really sees Labrynna for most of a game. The Hyrulians, Gerudo, Kokiri, Sheikah, Goron, Gohma, Darknuts, etc, etc, all do their own thing and war against each other until midway through the game. At which point if they're still alive the Labrynnian's either decide to brave the huge expanse of deadly land to send a diplomat, or decide to park a few steam tanks in one of the western faction's cities. It can often make for an interesting twist to the game when they show up. They're quite literally the mysterious easterners who'd show up in some derivative forms of fantasy fiction that throw a kink in the plot. Only instead of wielding kung-fu they wield guns and tanks.

Hero wise they have all of their heroes from their respective games. Including a new one that is fairly terrifying/awesome/hilarious as well. There is Queen Ambi, depicted above. Ambi is more of a ruler than a combat hero, as she gets pretty large bonuses to managing a city. There's also Ralph, who is basically a blue Link and is obviously suffering from some form of hero worship given his outfit.

Ralph's special skill is to whip out a pistol and execute an enemy solider, causing morale issues for nearby enemy units. Pistol > Boomerang, apparently.

I also said that the revolution was possibly somewhat demonically inspired. Why?

This is why. It's heavily implied in the grimdark backstory that Veran, another hero of the regime, is mind controlling Queen Ambi, who suddenly had many revelations about technology one day. I have no idea what her special skill is in 3.6 unfortunately, but it's probably a bit nasty. She's not really important compared to the next hero though.

See, all the other more recognizable factions are all nature loving and use more primitive tech. And in the Ocarina of Time the Deku Tree was kind of a part of this. Well, the Labrynnian version of the Deku Tree wasn't having any of that nature poo poo after he saw what his people had managed and decided to join up with the industrial revolution. Now keep in mind the Deku Tree and it's cousins are also all like ten stories tall. So the result from this?

Mecha Tree! Well actually it's called a Maku Tree, but it's close enough. Now the tree's mobile and can kick copious amounts of rear end. Also, he doesn't need to rely on any pesky heroes to clean parasites out of him since he's so toxic that they die before they ever become an issue. Eat your heart out Link. The Maku Tree's special ability is to expel exhaust, since I guess he's a gas guzzler. This chokes the enemies nearby and drastically reduces their fatigue levels to wear them out.

As a side note, the Deku Tree is also mobile and a hero now. So if the Kokiri stay alive long enough for the two sides to meet in combat it's quite literally possible to have the Zelda equivalent of Godzilla and Mecha Godzilla face off and fight each other on the battlefield.

quote:

Strengths, Weaknesses, and Abilities
Tech Savvy: Labrynnians have access to technology that is superior to those of other races, notably gunpowder and steam powered armour.
Social Mongers: Labrynnians are rather bright and can advance their cities fairly quickly with new improvements in the campaign.
Brave at a Distance: Labrynnian forces prefer to fight from a defensive stance and are horrible when marching and charging.
Isolated: In the campaign, Labrynna is rather distant from other empires and has fair room to expand.

The Fairies of Tarm

:hellyeah: meets :swoon:

They're fabulous. I haven't played them yet, so I don't have much to say about them outside of the fact that they suck at melee and compensate for that by spamming obnoxious motherfucking lasers everywhere. This can range from small lasers, to big ones from this guy.

Who is another one of the gigantic monsters I mentioned. His name is Tarm, he's a deity, and he fires a building sized laser that's so big it pretty much annihilates entire regiments in one volley.

Also as I mentioned the area on the map they live in is a forest. And since TW lets you have units in an ambush stance in a forest and the map is huge factions wanting to find the fairies are required to split up armies to scout the thing quickly. This means that actually rooting them out of the forest is like pulling teeth. Expect many Labrynnian pioneers and scout detachments to die horrifically when a bunch of pinkie sized wisps decide to swarm out of the nearby trees during scouting expeditions.

Oh, and since they're so life themed you can't easily score a pyrrhic victory against them. You either wipe out a unit or it replenishes at the start of every battle, making them great for ambushes or attrition fights. The end result is that sieging their homeland in some games is kind of like something between a horrifically fabulous WW1 era land war with steampunk soldiers and laser fairies and Vietnam while playing as Labrynna.

Strategically they play like your standard TW empire building faction. Only with lots of neon, giggling, flesh eating fairies that delight in your torment instead of a bunch of crotchety medieval lords. And instead of crusades against Islam they launch crusades against Labrynna. It seems like the best bet with them is to hide out in the forest, like nature loving fairies would, consolidating your forces until you can plague the rest of the game world on top of Labrynna.

quote:

Obnoxiously Numerous: Fairies are able to quickly assemble large swarms of basic soldiers.
Life Bringers: Fairies killed in a campaign battle can resurrect themselves if they are not all defeated in that battle.
Diminutive Beings: Most fairies are no larger than a human hand and can essentially be swatted aside in combat.
Mystery Magics: Most Fairies have the ability to unleash streams of energy from a distance. While very inaccurate compared to archers, a successful hit will usually instantly burn an enemy to death.

Bolding that last part, so you can get how obnoxious a well timed swarm of them hitting your flanks can be. :argh:

I already mentioned Subrosia above, so i'll leave that one out. If people want me to keep posting this stuff I can. Otherwise i'm obviously worried about spamming up the thread with this mod.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 6, 2014

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010

Archonex posted:

Words about Zelda

I've spent over a decade waiting for some sort of Warhammer Fantasy version of Total War (Mark of Chaos doesn't count), and reading the incredibly grimdark factions wiki has convinced me that this is probably the closest I'll ever get.

Now to dig out my Medieval:2 CDs while I wait for the 12gb download...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Here is what I don't understand: there are people out there like this Zelda guy who freely devote an insane amount of time to making these ridiculously customized units and battle maps and whatnot, why can't Creative Assembly hire some of these people or even just incorporate some of their work to make actually interesting battle maps in their own actual games?

I am playing through Napoleon at the moment and while there are many aspects of the game I like and I'm not generally prone to get pissy about ~my immersion~ it is kind of irritating to fight a battle in Turin, Italy and then later fight a battle in Cairo, Egypt which uses pretty much the same exact map and buildings in a very slightly different configuration and a slightly browner color of grass. I mean that is just lame. How much more effort would it have taken to at least throw in some Middle Eastern architecture or a different kind of street layout, let alone actual desert, jungle, swamp, etc.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

GenVec posted:

I've spent over a decade waiting for some sort of Warhammer Fantasy version of Total War (Mark of Chaos doesn't count), and reading the incredibly grimdark factions wiki has convinced me that this is probably the closest I'll ever get.

Now to dig out my Medieval:2 CDs while I wait for the 12gb download...

There is a Warhammer Fantasy mod for Medieval 2 though.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Also if you like Elves there is a great mod that focuses on the civil war that created the High Elves and Dark Elves: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sundering-rise-of-the-witch-king

They were attempting to make an old world campaign too but the mod all but died before that happened. I think other factions were made available in custom battles but don't quote me on that. They did recently put out a new faction preview so something more might happen but I wouldn't count on it.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Installed the Hyrule mod. I've only every played one zelda game and I didn't like it. The music is fantastic, gonna sink manys and hour into this for the next week.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Son of a bitch, the more I read about this goddamn mod, the more I want to play it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I was going to nap tonight but I suppose i'll be playing medieval 2 instead.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's interesting that all the victory conditions are 'short: hold 20 regions' and 'long: hold 30'. Is the map particularly big? Are the distances long, are the territories the cities control large? If there's one thing that can be painful, it's long distances to hunt down towns.

Are towns particularly hard to develop in size? One thing that kinda stung in the mod Third Age Total War was they hurt town growth fairly badly as patches went on for 'realism'. Of course the AI suffered very little from this.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 6, 2014

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
How's the Hyrule Historia part? Apparently they recommend you play it first.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
I'm hoping the Warhammer mod is done eventually, I tried the Russian one and it was way too much of a late start for me and had a few too many scripts for spawning stacks and such. Any other M2 mods or even Rome mods people would recommend?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Bloodly posted:

It's interesting that all the victory conditions are 'short: hold 20 regions' and 'long: hold 30'. Is the map particularly big? Are the distances long, are the territories the cities control large? If there's one thing that can be painful, it's long distances to hunt down towns.

Are towns particularly hard to develop in size? One thing that kinda stung in the mod Third Age Total War was they hurt town growth fairly badly as patches went on for 'realism'. Of course the AI suffered very little from this.

The map is big, but each region/province can sometimes be huge. This can sometimes make it a challenge to find a city early on before roads get developed. But otherwise means that travel actually can take some time.

Town growth depends on faction. Hyrule, Darknuts, etc, etc, all have normal town growth sizes. Some factions even have advanced/quick town growth sizes. Others are next to none or none. For instance, the Gerudo, being an all female faction, have a lowered rate I believe. Likewise, the Stalfos, being an undead horde lead by necromancers have no town growth. They just butcher things to raise more corpses.

The Ikanna are another good example of a faction with no growth. They kind of look like the Tomb Kings from Warhammer. They have no growth since they were cursed to undeath and can't procreate, and are supposed to come back to life sometime after a unit dies (though that last trait may or may not be broken in 3.6 basic, not sure). In fact they have a hard time even making money since their homeland is a scorched and corrupted land more akin to Mordor than anything else. Which encourages you to invade other cultures since your troops literally can't permanently die.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 6, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What can you tell me about the lizard guys? I just stared a campaign as them.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

What can you tell me about the lizard guys? I just stared a campaign as them.

They usually get their poo poo pushed in within the first ten years when I play Hyrule or one of it's sub factions since I don't like sharing land with filthy beastman races. :colbert:

They start out with one city which is nigh undefendable since it's basically a big sacrificial temple. So expand quickly away from it by whatever means are necessary. The AI sometimes neglects to do this, which makes it easy to kill them, so don't make that same mistake. To the north a bunch of rebel cities can be found in Hyrule which are useful for that. But it'll probably put you in direct competition with them on top of the Kokiri, who already hate you and are to the north and east. Taking their cities is apparently the "canon" approach, and is another option since they're tiny child-like forest dwellers with only a few tricks up their sleeves at the start of a game.

They also have a badass theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungkYsmigJs

I can type up a more detailed explanation if you want. But really they're basically Aztec Lizards. Go nuts and start ripping Kokiri or Ordonan hearts out. They tend to be very aggressive when played as the AI. Which apparently is one of their actual traits. Being a bunch of lizards they're great for fighting in desert atmospheres and terrible when fighting in the snow, so avoid campaigning in the winter if you can.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 6, 2014

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
This mod looks downright amazing and I had heard of it before, but wrote it off as being very buggy and not quite playable yet. I tried playing the Stalfos maybe a year ago and it wasnt quite there yet. I'm glad to see it's more stable. I tend to prefer grand campaigns to set battles, but this mod looks like it went way the gently caress above and beyond and they have actual cutscenes tying the battles together, it's insane.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Archonex posted:

-mod stuff-

Where did you get the mod files and how do you install them? I've never modded Medieval Total War 2 before.

Edit: It seems that Multiplayer patch as hosed up how mods work? I assumed you probably got it working after that patch.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 7, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Where did you get the mod files and how do you install them? I've never modded Medieval Total War 2 before.

Edit: It seems that Multiplayer patch as hosed up how mods work? I assumed you probably got it working after that patch.

Edit the mod executable to point to Medieval2.exe instead of kingdoms. The steam patch changed it so that the launcher is no longer used.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Archonex posted:

Edit the mod executable to point to Medieval2.exe instead of kingdoms. The steam patch changed it so that the launcher is no longer used.

So you install both parts of the mod into it's own folder, within the 'mods' folder? Is that it or is there anything more I need to do. As said, really new to TW modding.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

SkySteak posted:

So you install both parts of the mod into it's own folder, within the 'mods' folder? Is that it or is there anything more I need to do. As said, really new to TW modding.

The way M:TW2 modding work is that there's a mod folder within the installation folder. The mod itself will be packaged inside of it's own folder. You extract that folder into the mods folder then either run the launcher (No longer possible with the steam update I think.) or run the mod executable. The executable is how I do it. You just need to point it at the right location since the steam patch screwed that up. If the mod zip/rar file has a mods folder and then Hyrule:TW in it you can just merge it with M:TW's mods folder.

So the file structure goes something like Steam Apps--->Medieval 2--->Mods--->Hyrule Total War.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 7, 2014

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
OK, got it working, cheers for the help Is there any patches for 3.6 that you'd reccomend or is the mod stable enough on its own for it to function without it?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Archonex posted:

You extract that folder into the mods folder then either run the launcher (No longer possible with the steam update I think.)

I haven't tried the Hyrule mod yet, so I can't speak for that specifically, but I've been trying out some other mods the last few days and have been able to run them through the launcher by making a copy of medieval2.exe and renaming it kingdoms.exe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
If anyone is having trouble, here is the link to the most recent community patch. This fixes the .bat files so you don't have to go fiddlin'

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?658153-Bug-fix-Patch-for-HTW-3-6&p=13981061&viewfull=1#post13981061

I'm posting it because it seems to be a bit buried.