Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's a CL-16 and not -17, and it's got terrible graphics, but this is a great deal (especially in black):

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_16_machine_helmet.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Will seawater mess with an MX helmet much besides making the padding salty when it dries? I'm going to the beach for vacation and I wanted to bring my dirt helmet since I don't have a good way to use my gopro besides on the helmet mount for some waverunner fun.

I'm leaning towards 'no' and it's not an expensive helmet but I figure I'd double check just in case lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It probably wouldn't hurt the helmet's protective features but it's going to be gross as hell afterwards with all that salt soaked into and dried up in the padding. You can get a GoPro chest mount from REI for like 30 dollars, though, or a whitewater helmet for 40. Either of those would be a better option than the MX helmet.

Get the floaty backdoor too while you're at it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My Dainese hypercasual space lord pants and golden visor came in today.

My only problems with it are:
- They are 36x36 and I usually wear 36x32/34 so they are a bit long.
- They feel a bit tight around my thunder thighs.
- This:

With the armor on I need to blouse them and it looks a bit silly.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You look like Master Chief on casual Friday.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

ElMaligno posted:

What jacket is that though? It looks like how the future was envisioned in the 70's, and I love it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
That's a Scorpion jacket. I have one in all black, but the grey and black looks really stylish. Yeah, it does have the retro-futuristic look. I wish people dressed like they were in the future (of the 60s). :smith:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Halo_4am posted:

What jacket is that though? It looks like how the future was envisioned in the 70's, and I love it.

Scorpion All-In jacket bought it a couple of years ago from a goon and its my go-to casual/gym jacket.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

- They feel a bit tight around my thunder thighs.
- This:

How's the leg width on those pants, besides the thighs? I'm looking for something that fits like a normal pair of jeans, Levi's 505 or whatever.

Also, agreeing with hot sauce and it's awesome.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Razzled posted:

Will seawater mess with an MX helmet much besides making the padding salty when it dries? I'm going to the beach for vacation and I wanted to bring my dirt helmet since I don't have a good way to use my gopro besides on the helmet mount for some waverunner fun.

I'm leaning towards 'no' and it's not an expensive helmet but I figure I'd double check just in case lol

Get a chest mount or just a headband mount, or get a super-cheap foam bike helmet and mount it on that. Banging around on a waverunner is pretty much guaranteed to ruin your helmet's shock absorbing regardless of seawater

ElMaligno posted:

Get them hemmed by a tailor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Banging around on a waverunner is pretty much guaranteed to ruin your helmet's shock absorbing regardless of seawater

I don't think helmets actually work like that.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fifty Three posted:

How's the leg width on those pants, besides the thighs? I'm looking for something that fits like a normal pair of jeans, Levi's 505 or whatever.

Also, agreeing with hot sauce and it's awesome.

They widen out a bit, but it looks that they where designed (if you are using the armor) to be used with 6 inch or lower boots.

Maybe i'll get the Dainese hypercasual Dyno Pro C2B shoes and the Dainese hypercasual Air-Flux Textile Jacket to complete my laidback masterchief outfit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Maybe i'll get the Dainese hypercasual Dyno Pro C2B shoes

I need a pair of low boots and it's pretty much between these and the Sidi Apexes. Maybe SMX-1s.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 5, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I need a pair of low boots and it's pretty much between these and the Sidi Apexes

I only mentioned them because they have metal bits all over them and boy do I love metal bits.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Lynza posted:

I've had great luck with Tourmaster overpants. They aren't awesome in the heat (not much ventilation), but if it's not super hot where you are, call it 80F+, they should work great. They're surprisingly waterproof. I've worn them through winter, fall, and summer in Oregon.

I got my Tourmaster overpants in the mail yesterday and did a quick evening ride with them. Thanks for the recomendation! They fit perfectly, and for someone short like me (30" inseam) the 'short' option was dead on. The adjustable knee armor was a quick fix to the right level, and in the upper 70's they were not hot at all while on the bike. I can't say how they work in the rain yet, but they seem like a great buy.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted:

- This:

What boots are these? I like them! I have been looking for a new pair of boots for a while, but don't want to go with a plastic racing boot looking thing; I like the engineer/harness boot look and that looks close enough to it. Right now I'm riding in steel toe work boots, which are OK but not optimal.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

My first leather jacket.

A* Jaws

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

americanzero4128 posted:

What boots are these? I like them! I have been looking for a new pair of boots for a while, but don't want to go with a plastic racing boot looking thing; I like the engineer/harness boot look and that looks close enough to it. Right now I'm riding in steel toe work boots, which are OK but not optimal.

Icon 1000 Elsinore Boots.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Halo_4am posted:

The only bitch I have with it is with all Shark helmets and it's their stupid slide for the slack on the d rings.

Interesting, Shark Vision-Rs in europe have a little ratchet lock on the strap not D rings.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Euro Shark lids include the quick release while North American and Australian versions are double d ring. No idea why, but it's true across their whole line.

My gripe isn't with the ring system, but rather the slack tidying system. Not sure if the ratcheting lock does anything special with the excess strap?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Halo_4am posted:

Euro Shark lids include the quick release while North American and Australian versions are double d ring. No idea why, but it's true across their whole line.

My gripe isn't with the ring system, but rather the slack tidying system. Not sure if the ratcheting lock does anything special with the excess strap?

There isn't any excess strap really, you set it once, then clip it away. The ratchet mechanism does the tightening from then on.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Halo_4am posted:

Then why does my euro shark have a double d ring? :colbert:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ElMaligno posted:

Icon 1000 Elsinore Boots.

How comfortable are those?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

KARMA! posted:

Then why does my euro shark have a double d ring? :colbert:

Imported from America who imported it from Australia who imported it from France.

That or your model didn't come with the option. Or all models are actually d ring stock and euro retailers just trick them out. No idea really there seems to be limited info on the how and why.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

NippleFloss posted:

After you break them in they are comfortable. Then again most boots feel like poo poo until you break them in.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I am taking my MSF course in the next few weeks and will hopefully be getting a bike right after that. So I am in the market for a textile jacket and some great armor pants. I have been doing a lot of Google searching, reading review website and trying to figure out a good jacket/pants that will provide durable protection but not cause me to have a heat stroke in the TX heat. Is there any jackets/pants you all like to wear and trust the durability of? I am looking at spending around $300 or so for a good jacket and probably a couple of hundred for some good pants.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rythe posted:

I am taking my MSF course in the next few weeks and will hopefully be getting a bike right after that. So I am in the market for a textile jacket and some great armor pants. I have been doing a lot of Google searching, reading review website and trying to figure out a good jacket/pants that will provide durable protection but not cause me to have a heat stroke in the TX heat. Is there any jackets/pants you all like to wear and trust the durability of? I am looking at spending around $300 or so for a good jacket and probably a couple of hundred for some good pants.

I really recommend Olympia Motosport. You should check out their Dakar jacket and Airglide pants. Some people don't like mesh, but the Olympia gear is a lot sturdier than some other mesh pieces I've seen. I had a crash this summer in my jacket (not the Dakar, but whatever their equivalent model was two or three years ago), and it protected me flawlessly.

http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/dakar-dual-sport-jacket/
http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mens-airglide-3-mesh-tech-overpant-2/
http://www.revzilla.com/olympia

e. ShaneB raises a good point below. Olympia works great for big dudes as well.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 7, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rythe posted:

Every good brand makes a high quality high airflow mesh textile jacket. Different brands, and jackets within that brand, fit people differently. I suggest looking at Rev-It, Alpine Stars, Dianese, Olympia, First Gear, Tourmaster, etc. If you are a style maven you can frequently find matching sets of mesh textile gear, like the Rev'It Airwave jacket and pants. I personally own the Airwave, and for the cost of $200 I find it to be a perfect fit and very protective feeling. But I'm kind of a rectangular shaped individual so skinny dudes might swim a little more in it.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Tourmaster's stuff also has a more "American" fit, meaning if you're a person with a larger waist, it will be comfortable.

I absolutely love my Rev'It Air pants/jacket. They look nice, fit well, and are really solid along the shoulders, elbows, knees, and hips (all the spots you're likely to make mince of if you eat poo poo while going at speed).

I think your budget is going to get you a nice jacket/pants if you figure around $200 for each, or thereabouts. Try on different brands, too. Each fits a little differently.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

A couple guys have posted about how their Icon 1000 boots are coming apart awful early, buyer beware

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah I mean I like my Airwave so much I bought my GF a much smaller female version of the same thing. It's kind of comically smaller, actually.

I would recommend upgrading the back armor, as it's basically a thin foam pad in there from the factory. It saved my bacon when I got hit from behind and landed hard on my back.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Snowdens Secret posted:

A couple guys have posted about how their Icon 1000 boots are coming apart awful early, buyer beware

I like the idea of them because they are full height, seem reasonably protective, and look good enough that I wouldn't need to take them off when I got where I was going. But I am concerned about icon QC because it seems like everything of theirs has a decent contingent of people complaining about it falling apart. It's hard to know how much of that is meaningful though, given the self selection bias of most internet reviews.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
A word of caution about Sena's: mine doesn't seem to like the rain very much. I spent the better part of two days riding around in the rain earlier this week with mine, and it randomly said "factory reset" and shut itself down in the middle of a ride on two occasions. Took a while to respond to attempts to turn it back on, when was able to, pushing the jog dial (to pause a track) would cause it to do the the normal shut down routine. After a day or so it began working normally again.

Gonna be trying out the intercom function (bought a second one last month) when my friend gets here today! Gotta navigate us through Tokyo from the port back to another friend's apartment, should be... interesting.

Also found out my Frogg Toggs are fine for a ~45 minute commute, but can't hold up to all-day riding. Better than nothing, but I'll be looking for some better rain gear for touring when I get back to the US next month.

NippleFloss posted:

I like the idea of them because they are full height, seem reasonably protective, and look good enough that I wouldn't need to take them off when I got where I was going. But I am concerned about icon QC because it seems like everything of theirs has a decent contingent of people complaining about it falling apart. It's hard to know how much of that is meaningful though, given the self selection bias of most internet reviews.

ding ding ding

I mean I'm just another voice on the internet, but I'm not really crazy about mine. Two of the metal stub things that hold the adjustment straps have broken off in normal wear/riding (note: I just set them once and left them alone, like you're supposed to do.) The lining inside is coming up on both of them. The top toebox of the right one is all scuffed up (would expect it to be the shifter side, but no...). Wish I'd gone with the rainproof Sidi's I ordered originally (that were a size too small, so I sent them back and ordered the Elsinore's on a whim, since they were brand-new and looked kickin' rad).

I also have a pair of hand-me-down Icon mesh pants, the ratcheting thingie of which literally tore off the first time the PO put them on.

Icon makes some nice-looking and attractively-priced gear, but I'm 0/2 with them on quality and probably wouldn't buy anything of theirs again.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
I'm looking to get a new helmet and would like to heard advice from you folks since only helmets I used for the last 20 years have been Shoei.

I need a full face or modular helmet that is reasonably quet, will fit a large round head, and can easily integrate bluetooth system for my phone. Cost is not a big concern.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

If Shoei fits your head, I'd just go get another Shoei to be completely honest with you. Good helmets.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Got a pair of Sidi Cobras that I'm liking a lot. I was a bit worried about the lack of hard ankle support, but it feels much much stiffer once the boot is actually on. The toe and heel are nice and stiff too. It's a nice compromise between my 12" Bates and a pair of $400-500 bike boots. Still way too drat expensive for what you get though. Definitely not worth $260 but that's the way it seems to be with motorcycle boots. Probably should've went with the Fusions but eh.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

adary posted:

I'm looking to get a new helmet and would like to heard advice from you folks since only helmets I used for the last 20 years have been Shoei.

I need a full face or modular helmet that is reasonably quet, will fit a large round head, and can easily integrate bluetooth system for my phone. Cost is not a big concern.

I like my Nolan N104, it comes with a Pinlock insert and uses the Nolan NCOM system (though I use my Sena instead). It's very quiet.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A word of caution about Sena's: mine doesn't seem to like the rain very much. I spent the better part of two days riding around in the rain earlier this week with mine, and it randomly said "factory reset" and shut itself down in the middle of a ride on two occasions. Took a while to respond to attempts to turn it back on, when was able to, pushing the jog dial (to pause a track) would cause it to do the the normal shut down routine. After a day or so it began working normally again.

Mine's been great in spite of some nasty rainstorms. Did you forget to close the usb flap completely, perhaps? I also spend a little bit of time drying off my helmet and Sena unit with a towel when I get into the office after a rainstorm.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Another vote for an SMH10 that has survived multiple brutal rainstorms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, perhaps your USB port seal isn't attached well/not sealing well? I rode in bucketing rain for over an hour at 65+mph for several days in a row and haven't had any issues with mine.