Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

The extra $$$ goes toward lightness and quietness. A $60 Scorpion will protect you roughly as well as a $600 Schuberth, but I'd rather wear the Schuberth if I could afford it.

e. That said, it's good to keep a cheap spare helmet around in case your primary helmet develops a powerful funk or gets super wet or something.

I kept my last helmet, which was a cheap POS modular helmet, the modular part broke at the hinge. I epoxied it in the closed position. If I'm ever in a position where I'd have to use it though, I think I'll just take the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Safety Dance posted:

The extra $$$ goes toward lightness and quietness. A $60 Scorpion will protect you roughly as well as a $600 Schuberth, but I'd rather wear the Schuberth if I could afford it.

e. That said, it's good to keep a cheap spare helmet around in case your primary helmet develops a powerful funk or gets super wet or something.

Of course. I wear a $350 Nolan, but the Scorpion works just as well - I'm just not as comfortable when I wear it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Megaspel posted:

Yo heads up, sorry if I keep derailing this thread into cycle hat chat, but it seems as though mostly everyone is having a good time with it.

You've gotten a lot of advice in this thread, but IMHO it is all pretty bad and wrong. Most of the stats you'll see here are gamed by equipment manufacturers to make you think that helmets somehow make you hugely safer. In reality helmets, both bicycle and motorcycle, are very dangerous. You'll hear about how their weight can cause neck damage in an accident or how they can snag on things, and while those are true, that's not what's so dangerous. Helmets, and protective equipment in general, gives you a false sense of security. You will push yourself to go faster and try more dangerous maneuvers if you're wearing a helmet than if not. I saw a study once (sorry don't have a link handy :() that showed that on average, a helmet wearer will ride 6 mph faster than otherwise. Overconfidence breeds mistakes, and when you're on two wheels you don't want to make any mistakes.

Helmets are also hot and uncomfortable which also leads do dangerous riding. They decrease your visibility, and as you mentioned, mess up your hair. poo poo, the biggest reason why I ride my motorcycle is to look cool, it's such a pain that wearing a helmet messes that up.

My brother's girlfriend was in a bicycle accident last fall. She was wearing a helmet and mashed her head up pretty bad. She's just now learning to walk with a walker and she'll never have full use of her motor skills. We still don't know exactly what caused the accident since she can't remember what happened, but that helmet sure didn't do much - speed definitely could have bee a factor.

It's too bad I live in such a nanny state since I'm required to wear a helmet. I know it makes me a less safe rider. I do take solace in the fact that the biggest reason why I ride is the adrenaline so I try to rationalize my helmet wearing by the fact that it pushes me that much closer to the edge.

If anybody brings up the fact that professional racers wear helmets, just remember that they're already taking it right to the edge so there isn't any more danger added by the helmet.

Also, before anybody jumps down my throat by taking such an anti-CA hive mind stance: I'm just trying to show the OP both sides of the issue. I just hope he does his own research and comes to his own conclusions. This is a sensitive topic so I don't want anybody to make a decision after hearing from only one side. Whatever decision you come to in the end should be your own.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Koruthaiolos posted:

You've gotten a lot of advice in this thread, but IMHO it is all pretty bad and wrong. Most of the stats you'll see here are gamed by equipment manufacturers to make you think that helmets somehow make you hugely safer. In reality helmets, both bicycle and motorcycle, are very dangerous. You'll hear about how their weight can cause neck damage in an accident or how they can snag on things, and while those are true, that's not what's so dangerous. Helmets, and protective equipment in general, gives you a false sense of security. You will push yourself to go faster and try more dangerous maneuvers if you're wearing a helmet than if not. I saw a study once (sorry don't have a link handy :() that showed that on average, a helmet wearer will ride 6 mph faster than otherwise. Overconfidence breeds mistakes, and when you're on two wheels you don't want to make any mistakes.

Helmets are also hot and uncomfortable which also leads do dangerous riding. They decrease your visibility, and as you mentioned, mess up your hair. poo poo, the biggest reason why I ride my motorcycle is to look cool, it's such a pain that wearing a helmet messes that up.

My brother's girlfriend was in a bicycle accident last fall. She was wearing a helmet and mashed her head up pretty bad. She's just now learning to walk with a walker and she'll never have full use of her motor skills. We still don't know exactly what caused the accident since she can't remember what happened, but that helmet sure didn't do much - speed definitely could have bee a factor.

It's too bad I live in such a nanny state since I'm required to wear a helmet. I know it makes me a less safe rider. I do take solace in the fact that the biggest reason why I ride is the adrenaline so I try to rationalize my helmet wearing by the fact that it pushes me that much closer to the edge.

If anybody brings up the fact that professional racers wear helmets, just remember that they're already taking it right to the edge so there isn't any more danger added by the helmet.

Also, before anybody jumps down my throat by taking such an anti-CA hive mind stance: I'm just trying to show the OP both sides of the issue. I just hope he does his own research and comes to his own conclusions. This is a sensitive topic so I don't want anybody to make a decision after hearing from only one side. Whatever decision you come to in the end should be your own.

A fair and balanced post.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Post your sources. I assume you are making this poo poo up.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesus take the wheel, err... handlebars.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Speed doesn't kill, helmets do :(. I'm glad there's at least one like-minded person in CA.

Despite helmet laws in my state, I make sure my 4 year old daughter never wears her helmet when she's riding on my sportbike's handlebars, and I explain to her that the extra risk I'm taking by wearing a helmet is my own personal choice, and she should never follow my example, while I show her how to clutch up in second.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I love that everyone is so trained to throw out the usual gear advice they don't even flinch at getting trolled.

Basically this. I thought it was obvious but poe's law is a bitch I guess.

e: VVVVV :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 30, 2014

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Koruthaiolos posted:

In reality helmets, both bicycle and motorcycle, are very dangerous.

Hahahaha holy poo poo you've got to be kidding me.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo you've got to be kidding me.

<insert jet noise here>

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was fine with everything except the part about only riding to look cool.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Wait, you don't ride just to look cool? I thought that's why we all did it. Also, for freedom. :patriot:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
There's nothing cooler than a shirt full with yellow bug streaks and a puffy face.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I only ride because it gives me a socially acceptable way to wear tight leather suits all the time.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Finally got my held sambia gloves in the mail. And they look nice, and build quality seems good.
Fc-moto took 6 days to ship my package(wont be shopping there for anything I need fast) then the local post sevice decided to try to send a package with c.o.d(only the import tax) to my mailbox, which is a service they do not provide. As in the normal postman does not handle payments of any kind, just straight delivery. They left a package slip in the mailbox instead, but didnt manage to get the package to the local post office as it was missing when I went to pick it up the next day.. It finally got there after another day in limbo and when I picked it up the box was smashed to poo poo, glad gloves dont break easily.

gently caress the norwegian post service.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Sagebrush posted:

I only ride because it gives me a socially acceptable way to wear tight leather suits all the time.

Don't forget leather chaps.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MoraleHazard posted:

Wait, you don't ride just to look cool? I thought that's why we all did it. Also, for freedom. :patriot:

Hell, I ride to make the bike look cool ~~flicks cigarette, wheelies away~

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Petition to make arguments against gear bannable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Motorcycling is socially acceptable?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's all relative

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Halo_4am posted:

The list I am about to submit to the insurance man:

Z3n posted:

I'd personally just claim everything I was wearing at the time. I rarely buy poo poo at MSRP so usually an accident nets me a pretty nice payout.

I went back and forth on this, and finally decided gently caress it... going to go ahead and get new gear. Anything they decide not to cover no big deal, and I'll just look at it as a righteous discount on quality gear I probably should have spent the coin on in the first place. As a result : The list I actually ended up submitting to the insurance man.

Daytona Road Star GTX Boots

My feet are 9.5 wide which ruled out the previous choice of the Dainese tour boots. We actually have a D-Store in Chicago so I went and tried them on in person. No way in hell was anything Dainese makes for narrow Italian feet going to work with my All'merican-beef-eating-self. These came in a wide (43 wide specifically), and some of TCX offerings come in a Plus/wide variety. I probably wouldn't have sprung for these if not for the possible insurance coverage, but they're really nice. Only complaint is that the leather overhangs the sole kind of a lot... so much so I was considering returning them because I was sure my foot was over the sole, but couldn't quite tell. I ended up having a friend with normal sized feet try them on to see if they did the same thing on him, and they do, and so I kept them. The most technical boot I've ever owned, and all the protection is internal so they're very minimal on the power ranger look.

Tour Master Flex Pants

Dainese D-Stormer D-Dry Jacket

Pants and jacket are 4 season with multiple liner for multiple occasions. One thing that really sucked on a road trip in early May was packing multiple jackets to be sure to have something for cold mornings and scorching afternoons. Way easier to pack liners, and so I got poo poo that allows me to just pack additional liners rather than additional pants and jackets. I didn't end up with Dainese pants to go with the jacket based on various reviews of the matching pair. So unfortunately the zipper on the pants doesn't work with the jacket, but in all likelihood I'd never take the time to bother with that anyway so it wasn't really a big priority when shopping.

Klim D3O Viper T5 Pro Back Protector

Alpinestars GP Air Gloves

Shark Vision-R Series 2 Inko Helmet

Unfortunately the bike is still in shop. So aside from the occasional ride on the wife's bike or a friend's bike the stuff is largely untested. No complaints about anything so far, but I've only had 30-45 minutes at a time in relatively mild (60-80 degrees) weather. Mostly I'm just all dressed up with no place to go. If anybody wants any details or reviews of anything in particular just ask.

Halo_4am posted:

(Allstate is) $170 or so a year for the 80's technology drag bike. $75 a year for the old babby Honda's I had. That's largely due to having multi-car, multi-bike, and condo insurance with the same company and being married over 25. This claim will also no doubt change those sweet low rates :(

This ended up breaking down to replacing the helmet outright as safety gear, but the rest of the gear wasn't tit for tat and maxed out a $1000 'stuff damaged in the wreck not related to the bike' rider of the policy. Ultimately it cost me about $200 - which is about what I was over the MSRP of all my old poo poo so I can't complain. Not sure why gear other than helmet is not considered in the same category, but whatever.

All they wanted was pictures of my existing poo poo to prove I had something in the same category and that it's now damaged. Then receipts of all my new poo poo. They didn't care about MSRP of existing stuff. The only thing with this arrangement was I had to actually front the money for all the stuff before they reimbursed. However they sent the check right away so I was able to order on a credit card, and pay it off before the monthly statement even hit. No complaints about Allstate when it comes to gear.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 31, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Who is your insurer since they seem to be behaving like decent humans about it?

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Hyped on my new lid.

That's a nice helmet. I love blue, red and white lids, I've got the GT-Air in a similar colour scheme.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Halo_4am posted:

Tour Master Flex Pants

I have these pants and love them. Wear them everyday to and from work. Have worn great and take quite a beating. Great buy.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just got my Pinlock installed on my Nolan N104. This thing is the real deal! It turns riding in the rain from a major, dangerous pain in the rear end to a fun experience. I'd say it's about 85% fog free under the worst conditions, and 100% fog free once you're up at speed.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

MoraleHazard posted:

Who is your insurer since they seem to be behaving like decent humans about it?

Allstate. Allstate. Allstate.

Medical was poo poo because single vehicle means nobody but me at fault (and I was) which means bodily injury doesn't apply. So $1000 for all medical bills. Didn't even cover the ambulance ride.

Gear is apparently a "all the poo poo on your bike limited to $1000" + helmet.

Though they did cover all mods (luggage, shield, etc) and all scratched up parts of the bike ride to the tune of $3-4k.

All of this took about 3 weeks once I fetched the bike from Tennessee. No real bullshit along the way, but I am really glad I wasn't counting on the medical or carrying rare collectables or whatever at the time of the wreck.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 1, 2014

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Hyped on my new lid.

How do you like it? Thinking of getting the same thing.

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006
I'd really like your take on this, it's on my very short list of helmets to buy.

Halo_4am posted:

Shark Vision-R Series 2 Inko Helmet

If anybody wants any details or reviews of anything in particular just ask.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

M. Night Skymall posted:

How do you like it? Thinking of getting the same thing.

I like mine a lot. Ventilation isn't great, at least on my bike, but it's adequate. But it's really comfortable and well made, pretty light, and seems to do a pretty good job of minimizing buffeting.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

NippleFloss posted:

I like mine a lot. Ventilation isn't great, at least on my bike, but it's adequate. But it's really comfortable and well made, pretty light, and seems to do a pretty good job of minimizing buffeting.

I think the wind buffeting is astounding. It cuts through the wind like a knife and even doing head checks feels great. The shield is nice and stiff so articulating it is a pleasure, and the optical quality of the shield is perfect so you almost forget it's on. It's small and light. It's fairly quiet even with vents open, but I haven't had to ride in super hot temperatures so I can't vouch for venting quality.

The main things I was comparing against was the gt-air and the arai rx-q. The gt-air just had really awful padding around the ears that made me have to pull it off in less than a minute. It felt totally wrong. I have large ears though so that's my cross to bear. The arai felt perfect, even better on my head than the 1200 (say 100% vs 93%), but it felt more like a track helmet than the shoei. The visor has no detents, so it feels like it's designed to be up or down completely and could move around if you left it halfway up for ventilation. Also it doesn't come with a pin lock visor out of the box, and new ones are like $60. Ultimately I felt like I was getting a better everyday helmet, and more for my money, with the 1200.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Southpaw posted:

I'd really like your take on this, it's on my very short list of helmets to buy.

Feature for feature with the GT-Air but $100 cheaper. Mind that it is the Series 2 Vision R, which has improved ventilation and refinement of the vent controls vs the series 1. Watch the break down vid on RevZilla for more details on the difference between rev 2 and rev 1.

Great ventilation but not as good as the GT Air supposedly.

Better SHARP rating than the GT Air.

Quiet as gently caress. The 1 piece neck roll with sinching chin curtain combined with the really nice gasket system is amazing. Almost certainly not safe for human ears at highway speeds but you can expect your helmet comms to sound great due to lack of background noise. Speaking of comms, that 1 piece neck roll means the out of the box Sena clamp and attached boom looked like butt. I got a different mount with a slack wire to feed into the helmet to correct that, and now it's fine. There is a Shark OEM Bluetooth thing but I had no cares to try it as I already had the SMH-10.

Built in breath gaurd means shield and glasses fogging is minimal. Though I won't know if it's non existent until colder temps. So far much less than my old Bell Vortex where it was poo poo in warm weather and dangerous in cold.

The only bitch I have with it is with all Shark helmets and it's their stupid slide for the slack on the d rings. It's hard to work with bare hands, and impossible for gloves on the occasion you put them on first. Bell does this right with a magnet. Others do this better with a snap. This little sleeve system they have sucks, but like anything else once you do it a few times you don't even notice it.

Get the GT Air if you live in the desert and ventilation is top priority. Save $100 and get this instead if you live anywhere else.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Halo_4am posted:

Feature for feature with the GT-Air but $100 cheaper. Mind that it is the Series 2 Vision R, which has improved ventilation and refinement of the vent controls vs the series 1. Watch the break down vid on RevZilla for more details on the difference between rev 2 and rev 1.

Great ventilation but not as good as the GT Air supposedly.

Better SHARP rating than the GT Air.

Quiet as gently caress. The 1 piece neck roll with sinching chin curtain combined with the really nice gasket system is amazing. Almost certainly not safe for human ears at highway speeds but you can expect your helmet comms to sound great due to lack of background noise. Speaking of comms, that 1 piece neck roll means the out of the box Sena clamp and attached boom looked like butt. I got a different mount with a slack wire to feed into the helmet to correct that, and now it's fine. There is a Shark OEM Bluetooth thing but I had no cares to try it as I already had the SMH-10.

Built in breath gaurd means shield and glasses fogging is minimal. Though I won't know if it's non existent until colder temps. So far much less than my old Bell Vortex where it was poo poo in warm weather and dangerous in cold.

The only bitch I have with it is with all Shark helmets and it's their stupid slide for the slack on the d rings. It's hard to work with bare hands, and impossible for gloves on the occasion you put them on first. Bell does this right with a magnet. Others do this better with a snap. This little sleeve system they have sucks, but like anything else once you do it a few times you don't even notice it.

Get the GT Air if you live in the desert and ventilation is top priority. Save $100 and get this instead if you live anywhere else.

I definitely wanted to try on the Shark, but like literally the only place I could find them is on Revzilla and I didn't want to deal with mail-order try on.

Re: RF-1200 and the Sena SMH-10, it requires a modicum of creativity to get it mounted cleanly. I basically followed this page: http://ocmoto.com/index.php?topic=31352.0

The cutting the plastic step doesn't really look like it does on this page, because the RF-1100 and 1200 appear to have different designs there. You have to cut a tiny "U" out of the plastic part of the neck roll, the part that slides up between the padding and shell, so the wires have somewhere to go when the neck roll is refitted. It goes in between two cutouts that help the neck roll stay put, so it's non-destructive and I haven't seen the neck roll try to come out at all. I have the brand newest SMH-10 that comes with the button mic option, so that makes it easier to wire it all cleanly.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 1, 2014

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
The one piece of gear I am missing right now are a good pair of riding pants. I'm looking at the cheaper stuff of Revzilla right now (mainly the ICON Brawnson and Device overpants) but was wondering if there were any good suggestions out there. I am more a fan of overpants as I commute to work, so it would be nice to take them off once I get to the lab. If anyone has good budget suggestions for pants, I'd love to hear it!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Dr. Light posted:

The one piece of gear I am missing right now are a good pair of riding pants. I'm looking at the cheaper stuff of Revzilla right now (mainly the ICON Brawnson and Device overpants) but was wondering if there were any good suggestions out there. I am more a fan of overpants as I commute to work, so it would be nice to take them off once I get to the lab. If anyone has good budget suggestions for pants, I'd love to hear it!

I've had great luck with Tourmaster overpants. They aren't awesome in the heat (not much ventilation), but if it's not super hot where you are, call it 80F+, they should work great. They're surprisingly waterproof. I've worn them through winter, fall, and summer in Oregon.

I also like the Rev'It Air, which are a mesh pant, for hot weather.

I don't know your size, but NewEnough/Motorcycle Gear is having a sale on some Fieldsheer pants.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/fieldsheer/slip_on_textile_motorcycle_pants.html

For people looking for gear, I recommend the MotorcycleGear.com folks. They're a small shop, but they tend to have some excellent deals on closeout stuff a few times a week. Sign up for their newsletter.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Their newsletter is easily the best promotional email I receive. Consistently good deals, not too frequent, friendly folks and no BS. I literally cannot endorse them enough.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Lynza posted:

I've had great luck with Tourmaster overpants. They aren't awesome in the heat (not much ventilation), but if it's not super hot where you are, call it 80F+, they should work great. They're surprisingly waterproof. I've worn them through winter, fall, and summer in Oregon.

I also like the Rev'It Air, which are a mesh pant, for hot weather.

I don't know your size, but NewEnough/Motorcycle Gear is having a sale on some Fieldsheer pants.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/fieldsheer/slip_on_textile_motorcycle_pants.html

For people looking for gear, I recommend the MotorcycleGear.com folks. They're a small shop, but they tend to have some excellent deals on closeout stuff a few times a week. Sign up for their newsletter.

Awesome - thanks for the input! I do love motorcyclegear.com, but I wanted to check for recommendations. The Tourmaster overpants sound good, and are probably the cheapest I've found with hip protection as well. I might have to go for that one. Thanks for the input!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got a chance to try out the Sena this weekend. Even by just sloppily throwing it in my helmet without using any of the tape I was impressed. It has a pretty amazing volume range, pairs quickly and consistently with my phone, and is easy to use with a glove on. Can't wait to get a new helmet and properly mount this thing.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Kobayashi posted:

Got a chance to try out the Sena this weekend. Even by just sloppily throwing it in my helmet without using any of the tape I was impressed. It has a pretty amazing volume range, pairs quickly and consistently with my phone, and is easy to use with a glove on. Can't wait to get a new helmet and properly mount this thing.

I just did the same thing and was going to write an effort post review. I'll do it after breakfast

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Going boot shopping today after 3 years of not having any. Sidi, Alpinestars, and TCX are what I have to choose from. I'm liking the Sidi Cobras, but I'm liking the Alpinestars SMX-5 boots too. Anyone with experience in either?

Going to pick up an HJC CL-17 as well, time to retire my CL-16. Can anyone here talk about the CL-17?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been to The Helmet Center a few times ... Great guys over there and the staff is at like every local trackday.
I just wanted to say thanks for this, the guys over there were great and very helpful. I picked up a RF-1200 and some vented SMXs. My old stuff was desperately in need of replacement, one of the guys actually chuckled at my CL-15 and said he hadn't seen one in ages.