Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Soricidus posted:

I think the 580 should only be $50 unless you're looking at the fancy one with gold trim.

The 700 is slightly larger, holds a little more ink, and doesn't need special precautions to avoid leaks on planes. The 580 is smaller, cheaper, and doesn't need the end to be unscrewed slightly whenever you want to write. Honestly there's not much in it. If nothing above sounds important to you then you might as well just pick whichever you think looks nicer.

:doh: You're right, the 580 is only $50. That makes the decision a little easier. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Owned the Dollar less than a day, put a drop of automotive silicone grease (aerosol) down the back to lube the piston and it's completely fused.

:v: "Well it's right here, I'm sure it'll be fine."

pienipple fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 6, 2014

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Help I keep buying pens :shepspends:

Just got two more pilot metros from the massdrop and a TWSBI mini to carry around with me!!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Got my first fountain pen, a metro. I am handwriting a novel and wanted to try a FP. But I write in super cheap composition notebooks and it bleeds through really bad. I already ordered some Noodler black, but I'm not sure if it'll fix the issue. I don't want/can't afford to spend much on notebooks. $10/100pp would be okay, but nothing more than that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I like the Clairefontaine ones (in a ruling of your choice) for a good price:quality ratio.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dunno how you feel about yellow but I write on yellow legal pads at work with all sorts of pen & ink combos and rarely have issues with feathering or bleeding through. We got a case of them donated and I run through a lot of paper because I think better when I write things down, so I started using them for almost everything instead of providing my own higher-quality paper. They also come in white of course but I don't know if the paper would behave the same way.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

Dunno how you feel about yellow but I write on yellow legal pads at work with all sorts of pen & ink combos and rarely have issues with feathering or bleeding through. We got a case of them donated and I run through a lot of paper because I think better when I write things down, so I started using them for almost everything instead of providing my own higher-quality paper. They also come in white of course but I don't know if the paper would behave the same way.

I just bought some white legal pads from Target. They're just the generic Target Up-and-Up brand. They're fine. Writing on them isn't a magical experience or anything, but the ink isn't feathering out or bleeding through. Pretty good for cheap paper.

I've also heard good things about the sugarcane paper they sell at Staples, but have not had the chance to try it myself.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

blue squares posted:

Got my first fountain pen, a metro. I am handwriting a novel and wanted to try a FP. But I write in super cheap composition notebooks and it bleeds through really bad. I already ordered some Noodler black, but I'm not sure if it'll fix the issue. I don't want/can't afford to spend much on notebooks. $10/100pp would be okay, but nothing more than that.

Noodlers ink often won't necessarily make your bleeding problems better. It's designed to produce a colour and sometimes neat features like being indelible no matter what, but the latter in particular apparently requires loads surfactants in the ink that'll make it bleed like crazy. Of course, Noodlers X-feather will not bleed at all since that's what it's designed for.

$10/100pp can buy fancy paper, many cheap notebooks will do just fine. I use Quarto Platin letter pads I bought on sale for €0.50, the paper quality is top notch. Seconding Clairefontaine, not cheap but reasonably affordable and really good, this is 192 pages for $12. Whatever you do, don't buy Moleskine. The notebooks are fancy (and overpriced), but the paper quality is inconsistent and even normally well-behaved inks can bleed.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 6, 2014

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

pienipple posted:

Owned the Dollar less than a day, put a drop of automotive silicone grease (aerosol) down the back to lube the piston and it's completely fused.

:v: "Well it's right here, I'm sure it'll be fine."

Yeah don't use the aerosol style silicone grease, it's apparently got a bunch of other solvents mixed in with it which will gently caress up some plastics and synthetic rubbers. I made the same mistake using it to lube the spring on a Snorkel and it melted the sac over a couple of days.

Only ever use pure silicone grease with pens. You can get it pretty cheap and a small tub of it will last forever.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

blue squares posted:

If you go to wal-mart you can pick up their no-name 1 subject wide ruled notebooks for 25 cents each right now. I use a 1.1 stub in Noodler's X-feather and have no feathering or bleedthrough at all, though there's a little bit of ghosting. With my 1.9mm in a diamine ink there's only a little bleedthrough, usually doesn't bother the next page. Should work fine with a metro.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh, x-feather, not black. Oops. I'll have to send the black back when it arrives tomorrow. Thanks guys!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
A fine nib will also prevent bleeding. If you're not married to a notebook, buying 28 lb paper will do the trick. Peep the first review on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002U381U6

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Vitamins posted:

Yeah don't use the aerosol style silicone grease, it's apparently got a bunch of other solvents mixed in with it which will gently caress up some plastics and synthetic rubbers. I made the same mistake using it to lube the spring on a Snorkel and it melted the sac over a couple of days.

Only ever use pure silicone grease with pens. You can get it pretty cheap and a small tub of it will last forever.

Yeah, I have some silicone grease but I needed the liquid kind and Cobalt wasn't sure where hers was. The aerosol silicone for window tracks was just sitting invitingly on the counter at work.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

dino. posted:

A fine nib will also prevent bleeding. If you're not married to a notebook, buying 28 lb paper will do the trick. Peep the first review on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002U381U6

Yeah, it actually is a fine nib. That's just how absorbent my GTC composition books are.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I don't know what size you're looking for, but the Staples bagasse (Sustainable Earth?) notebooks are excellent. Super smooth, FP friendly, and cheap.

Fake edit: D.C. Pen Show in a few days :getin:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

blue squares posted:

Yeah, it actually is a fine nib. That's just how absorbent my GTC composition books are.

I forgot to mention that the paper I linked is the one that I use myself. With the broad nibs, there is a bit of of ghosting, but with the fine or mediums, I get no issues. Also, they sell it pre hole punched as well.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks, everyone. I have some good suggestions to look at. I'm going to go out and hopefully find something today, since I finished my old notebook (with a rollerball pen) last night. I'm just a picky guy, too. I don't like wirebound notebooks because I have a hard time writing on the left side where my hand starts to run up against the wire. I don't get how people do that.

edit: Mission accomplished! Thanks for the Staples tip. I didn't like the specific one recommended because of the spiral, but they have these 1-subject wireless notebooks, college ruled, 80 sheets 8.5x11, $1.50. No bleed through, very minimal see-through. I bought ten for writing and for school.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 6, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

blue squares posted:

Oh, x-feather, not black. Oops. I'll have to send the black back when it arrives tomorrow. Thanks guys!

No need to be hasty. Noodlers makes a nice black ink. Heart of Darkness is a fan favorite for a reason (it comes with a free pen).

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

blue squares posted:

Thanks, everyone. I have some good suggestions to look at. I'm going to go out and hopefully find something today, since I finished my old notebook (with a rollerball pen) last night. I'm just a picky guy, too. I don't like wirebound notebooks because I have a hard time writing on the left side where my hand starts to run up against the wire. I don't get how people do that.

edit: Mission accomplished! Thanks for the Staples tip. I didn't like the specific one recommended because of the spiral, but they have these 1-subject wireless notebooks, college ruled, 80 sheets 8.5x11, $1.50. No bleed through, very minimal see-through. I bought ten for writing and for school.

It's more than you stated your budget allowed, but I can't recommend the Tomo River Paper enough, it's $15/100 with free shipping from JetPens.
I debated for a bit on whether or not to mention it at all, but since you DID say you were writing your novel on it, I figured it couldn't hurt to mention.

It's one of those things that isn't 'oh well that's a bit nicer', it's the most amazing paper I've ever used (and if I'm not mistaken, it's what's in my Hobonichi Tetcho) and it'd make a hell of an archive of your book.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Lord Girlyman posted:

I don't know what size you're looking for, but the Staples bagasse (Sustainable Earth?) notebooks are excellent. Super smooth, FP friendly, and cheap.

Fake edit: D.C. Pen Show in a few days :getin:

We have the San Francisco pen show coming up at the end of the month, but I dunno if I'm going to be able to go mostly because I'm double booked! Then again, I might break down and buy all the pens and papers if I go, so maybe next year...

Alright. People. Tell me about sugarcane-based papers. I heard they are cheap and incredible for more regular fountain pen use.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I use sugarcane paper pads at work and they've never bled on me. Medium Metro, fine Lamy Vista, and a fine TWSBI 540 all worked great with Noodler's, Pilot, and J. Herbin inks.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

aldantefax posted:

Alright. People. Tell me about sugarcane-based papers. I heard they are cheap and incredible for more regular fountain pen use.

I had the bagasse paper from Staples for a while. Never bled, even with watery inks and juicy nibs, and much cheaper than the normal recommendations of CF and even the Japanese papers.

Incidentally, I went snooping around online here in Japan for a bit and discovered you can buy Tomoe River paper in massive quantities. Here's 4000 sheets of A4 for about 89 USD :haw:
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-shikisai/50602/

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I really like the Mead Five Star reinforced filler paper. It's heavier than regular filler paper, and the reinforcement means the pages won't tear out of your binder. Pair that with a Five Star NoteBinder, and you've got a great replacement to a traditional notebook.

Showy off test page picture with my various pens/inks:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Kessel posted:

I had the bagasse paper from Staples for a while. Never bled, even with watery inks and juicy nibs, and much cheaper than the normal recommendations of CF and even the Japanese papers.

Incidentally, I went snooping around online here in Japan for a bit and discovered you can buy Tomoe River paper in massive quantities. Here's 4000 sheets of A4 for about 89 USD :haw:
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-shikisai/50602/

Neat! I think the bagasse paper I have seen before but never tried.

Having tried some of that Tomoe River from a local pen posse, I can definitely say that's a pretty bangin' deal. I know people leverage group buys of that all the time to cover the overhead from shipping and then parcel it out and have notebooks and such made from it.

Speaking of which - anybody wanna go in on that? :whatup:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Well, I had to take my 580 apart and clean it today because the ink (Noodler's 54th Mass.) had dried up into a thick goop.

Use your pens, people.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Edit: nevermind. Learned how to Google

edit 2: Noodler's black has even less show through on the Staples notebooks than the default Pilot cartridge! AND, it actually works in my lovely comp book that I've been taking some notes in. It shows through, but not that bad.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 8, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

blue squares posted:

Once you put a cartridge in a pen, can you take it out before it's empty or will it spill out?

A tiny drop at most, except for cartridges with overly wide openings (e.g. Pilot). They'll dry out though.

Also write the pen empty after removing the cartridge so residual ink doesn't dry up in the feed.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

After oogling through this thread a year ago, I finally got my first fountain pen, a Lamy Safari + converter. I have successfully navigated filling it for the first time, what do I need to do to make sure I don't break it/get ink on everything?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

surc posted:

After oogling through this thread a year ago, I finally got my first fountain pen, a Lamy Safari + converter. I have successfully navigated filling it for the first time, what do I need to do to make sure I don't break it/get ink on everything?

If you need to swat any flies be sure to put the pen down or at least put the cap on it first.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

surc posted:

Don't leave it in a pocket and have it go through the wash.

Or fall asleep with it in your hand while making notes from a book and have it unload a full load of ink into your sheets.

Other than that you should be all good! I've bashed my Safari around quite a lot and it still works like a charm!

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Excellent, that's what I thought I remembered, but I hadn't read up on it on a while, and the pen was a gift so it came out of nowhere.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

aldantefax posted:

Speaking of which - anybody wanna go in on that? :whatup:
Not sure if you're in the US or not, but free shipping on it at the moment from the link I posted earlier.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

surc posted:

Don't wipe the nib on anything you aren't expecting to get permanently stained with ink.

Occasionally ink will be somewhere other then between the tines and this is generally OK as long as it isn't dripping on the paper.

If certain parts of letters always become scratchy, you need to adjust the angle of the pen while writing those parts of those letters because it means the tiny part of the nib where ink goes is moved out of proper contact with the paper at those times and you need to make sure it stays in contact by occasionally angling the pen slightly differently. FP writing is a tiny bit like painting in that respect.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 9, 2014

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have a M nib Safari and an EF nib Hero (Safari clone). They both wrote great, and O even swapped the nibs to see how they worked on each other and got good results.

I am, however, tempted to get a charcoal EF Safari because they look badass. Since I have the Hero EF, this is probably a waste of money. Convince me not to do this please with another 30 dollar pen recommendation.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

rio posted:

I have a M nib Safari and an EF nib Hero (Safari clone). They both wrote great, and O even swapped the nibs to see how they worked on each other and got good results.

I am, however, tempted to get a charcoal EF Safari because they look badass. Since I have the Hero EF, this is probably a waste of money. Convince me not to do this please with another 30 dollar pen recommendation.

Get two pilot metros?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Get a Lamy Al-Star and never loving look back.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

laertes22 posted:

Get two pilot metros?

I already have two Metros. Both M though....so I guess a F would be a required addition at some point, but I would like to try new things first.

FAUXTON posted:

Get a Lamy Al-Star and never loving look back.

Hmm, I didn't think of that. A good option, but "same nib in a different pen" is my original issue and probably the only reason I haven't jumped on the charcoal safari (or Al-Star) yet. Has anyone else tried these Hero Safari clones? Since I have the M safari and EF Hero I can't directly compare them, but I wonder if they are comparable since I have been happy with the Hero's performance.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since you already have repetition in your collection maybe look at getting something totally different? Stub nib or a bigger piston fill pen maybe.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Get the charcoal Lamy with an italic nib. You can swap the nibs between pens (and I think Pienipple said the Hero nibs are compatible with the genuine article)so you can put your already-owned M or EF on the charcoal and play around with italic widths if you haven't already.

C'mon, the best thing about the Safari/Al-star line is that you can nib swap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
I have a couple of quite nice (one Faber-Castell ~$700 and one Parker ~$250) fountain pens that were very thoughtful gifts to my younger self that I've treated very poorly and have left inked for years at a time without use. Now it doesn't matter how much water I run through the nibs they really don't want to write nicely at all. Their flow is broken, basically.

What, if anything, can I do?

If it's a matter of "take it to someone who knows what the gently caress" that's fine because there's a couple of very swank Ye Olde Penne Shoppes in my city, but I'm just seeing if maybe there's anything I can do myself before I go look like an idiot.