Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

So the original sin secret is that He married Mystique!That now makes him the step dad of Nightcrawler and Rogue! What is the point? Who the gently caress knows.

Xavier did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yep

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

bobkatt013 posted:

So the original sin secret is that He married Mystique!That now makes him the step dad of Nightcrawler and Rogue! What is the point? Who the gently caress knows.

That's just one of the secrets, Bendis is dragging on the reveal of Xavier's "darkest secret"

And I enjoyed all of the reactions to that reveal too.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bobkatt013 posted:

Well no. Xavier married Mystique at some point because...whatever Xavier and Mystique had a close relationship in First Class okay.

The reveal is Xavier had a mutant before the X-Men and he was super powerful, so powerful he had to be mindwiped to forget his powers, and people no doubt died and this dark secret is completely different to Vulcan and Deadly Genesis. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Waterhaul posted:

Well no. Xavier married Mystique at some point because...whatever Xavier and Mystique had a close relationship in First Class okay.

The reveal is Xavier had a mutant before the X-Men and he was super powerful, so powerful he had to be mindwiped to forget his powers, and people no doubt died and this dark secret is completely different to Vulcan and Deadly Genesis. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Maybe it's additional to Genesis, like an add-on. A Deadly 32X, if you will.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A deadly Sonic And Knuckles adapter

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its Vulcan and Legion combined times 100!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Does she say "you have sown the wind...now reap the whirlwind"?

Only when written by Simon Furman.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Maybe it was a DAUGHTER and that daughter married Corsair and Legion is the fourth Summers brother.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Eventually someone is going to try to update that X-Men relationship chart from a while back, and they'll end up raving mad as if they had probed too deep into some Lovecraftian tome.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Emma's reaction to the news was pretty much exactly my own.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sentinel Red posted:

Emma's reaction to the news was pretty much exactly my own.

Yea, everyone else was :stare: but Emma was :roflolmao:

I also liked Magick being bothered by She hulk playing on her phone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Storm's daughter needs a belt.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I want to like Storm's daughter but Avengers just brought back the future children of the Avengers and it's all people with two super hero parents and one of them is her not brother and we have enough lovely teenage heroes without pulling random ones out of the future for no reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

I want to like Storm's daughter but Avengers just brought back the future children of the Avengers and it's all people with two super hero parents and one of them is her not brother and we have enough lovely teenage heroes without pulling random ones out of the future for no reason.

Remember when it was just Cable and Rachel? Oh the good old days.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
Whoa we already knew Xavier had a secret all-powerful student. Her name is Sage.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I imagine Xavier walks around calling every mutant he meets "possibly the most powerful mutant I've ever known!"

"Iceman meet Cable he's possibly the most powerful mutant I've ever known! Cable this is iceman possibly the most powerful mutant I've ever known! Have you two meet hands fall off boy? He's possibly the most powerful mutant I've ever known! Now that you've been introduced I need to tell you about who we are fighting, he's possibly the most powerful mutant I've ever known!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirDan3k posted:

I imagine Xavier walks around calling every mutant he meets "possibly the most powerful mutant I've ever known!"

It's kind of weird looking back at the really early Lee/Kirby stuff where their deadliest enemies were guys like the Vanisher and the Blob, and they were the ones that'd get Xavier going, "Cerebro has detected a new mutant who could be the deadliest threat the world has ever known!"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metal Loaf posted:

It's kind of weird looking back at the really early Lee/Kirby stuff where their deadliest enemies were guys like the Vanisher and the Blob, and they were the ones that'd get Xavier going, "Cerebro has detected a new mutant who could be the deadliest threat the world has ever known!"

Hey Vanisher would prove to be pretty powerful . . . sixty years later or so when he was on X-Force.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

So in other words...

SirDan3k posted:

...this actually is canon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey, as long as the power level keeps creeping up he's never actually wrong.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of the really early stuff, one "What If?" that I think would be pretty cool is "What if Professor X sent his first class of X-Men to join the Avengers?" I recently read through "Mutant Massacre", "Fall of the Mutants" and the original New Mutants up to that point, and one thing that struck me was, "Would the X-Men and mutants be looked upon more charitably if they'd been in an actual superhero team early on in their career, instead of Xavier basically sequestering them from the superhuman community at large?"

I mean, it worked for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, and they were once in a team that had "evil" in its name.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

If only Xavier had survived long enough to meet Goldballs.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of the really early stuff, one "What If?" that I think would be pretty cool is "What if Professor X sent his first class of X-Men to join the Avengers?" I recently read through "Mutant Massacre", "Fall of the Mutants" and the original New Mutants up to that point, and one thing that struck me was, "Would the X-Men and mutants be looked upon more charitably if they'd been in an actual superhero team early on in their career, instead of Xavier basically sequestering them from the superhuman community at large?"

I mean, it worked for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, and they were once in a team that had "evil" in its name.

You'd have to do something with Xavier first, like give him a slightly better upbringing. Stuff like Deadly Genesis and its ilk didn't come out of nowhere. One of Xavier's plot beats since the start was always how he wrapped a lot of arrogance and self-righteousness up in all his nice-sounding talk about the Dream, and that goes back to the Silver Age.

I suspect what you'd end up with is "what if the Illuminati existed in the Silver Age?" Which could be fun by itself.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Wanderer posted:

You'd have to do something with Xavier first, like give him a slightly better upbringing. Stuff like Deadly Genesis and its ilk didn't come out of nowhere. One of Xavier's plot beats since the start was always how he wrapped a lot of arrogance and self-righteousness up in all his nice-sounding talk about the Dream, and that goes back to the Silver Age.

I suspect what you'd end up with is "what if the Illuminati existed in the Silver Age?" Which could be fun by itself.

This really isn't true. Most of the more negative stuff from that era are things that were (or at least bordered on) culturally acceptable when the story was written, and most of that started to fall away as the story telling got more sophisticated and comics got more progressive. Outside of Morrison (who took a more complicated look at Xavier that was mostly retconned away), we had roughly 30+ years of Xavier being written as mostly a moral paragon (to the point that several times there were several storylines where characters were rebelling against the unrelaism of Xavier's ideals because other humans were too flawed to live up to the ideals he could).

It's too early to say where this current arc is going, but Deadly Genesis was roughly equivalent of a story that revealed that Steve Rogers was a horrible racist based on the fact that Captain America used to drop racial slurs in the silver age.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The thing is that it wasn't just Deadly Genesis, there was some "Wow, Xavier is a bit of an rear end in a top hat" stuff in Astonishing X-Men, which was published close to the same time too, so it just seemed we got a bunch of stories revealing that Xavier had a dark and shadowy past. It's understandable that there are feelings that we don't really need another one.

So, Brian Wood's X-Men just sort of...fizzled out. That whole thing, despite a reasonably promising start, was seriously just "meh".

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Other than X-Factor I'm done reading X-Men books. I started to run with Cyclops then saw that Rucka is leaving the book so no thanks. None of Bendis stuff is any good, and the other books are meandering aimless crap. Update the thread title if Bendis actually decides to write something good or if another writer of talent starts writing something good. Oh I'm still on Cable & X-Force because while it's not great, it's interesting and different.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

The thing is that it wasn't just Deadly Genesis, there was some "Wow, Xavier is a bit of an rear end in a top hat" stuff in Astonishing X-Men, which was published close to the same time too, so it just seemed we got a bunch of stories revealing that Xavier had a dark and shadowy past. It's understandable that there are feelings that we don't really need another one.

So, Brian Wood's X-Men just sort of...fizzled out. That whole thing, despite a reasonably promising start, was seriously just "meh".

Yeah I really liked the first couple issues but I dropped it really fast.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rick posted:

This really isn't true. Most of the more negative stuff from that era are things that were (or at least bordered on) culturally acceptable when the story was written, and most of that started to fall away as the story telling got more sophisticated and comics got more progressive. Outside of Morrison (who took a more complicated look at Xavier that was mostly retconned away), we had roughly 30+ years of Xavier being written as mostly a moral paragon (to the point that several times there were several storylines where characters were rebelling against the unrelaism of Xavier's ideals because other humans were too flawed to live up to the ideals he could).

It's too early to say where this current arc is going, but Deadly Genesis was roughly equivalent of a story that revealed that Steve Rogers was a horrible racist based on the fact that Captain America used to drop racial slurs in the silver age.

My problem is its similar to Hank Pym. Everyone wants to write the redemption story so everyone fucks up his life so he can be redeemed. The past decade of Xavier stories have all been Dark Shadowy Past trying to make Xavier even more of a dick. The only real exception is Carey's run on Adjectiveless and Legacy.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How well does Warren Ellis's Astonishing X-Men stand up to Whedon's?

I think Whedon's X-Men is one of the best runs ever and am a huge fan of Ellis, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh drat, I had forgotten that was a thing. That run was incredibly underwhelming in my opinion; the art was pretentious rubbish, Ellis' usual clever ideas were nowhere to be found, and the large hiatuses between issues didn't help at all.

Doesn't hurt to check it if you can find it cheap somewhere, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

I think Whedon's X-Men is one of the best runs ever and am a huge fan of Ellis, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.
It is a totally separate animal than Whedon's--they just kept the name because it had such positive connotations.

(I like the Ellis run myself, but don't go in expecting anything...Whedonesque, as the kids say.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The X-Men are something Ellis shouldn't have touched. His run is terrible. It's Claremontium levels of bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unmature posted:

It's loving terrible.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It felt like he shoehorned a random Warren Ellis Idea onto the X-Men.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Endless Mike posted:

It's loving terrible.

Rhyno posted:

His run is terrible. It's Claremontium levels of bad.

Eh, honestly, I think that's kind of an exaggeration. I can barely remember it -- that's how unmemorable it was -- but we are in a world with Brian Wood and Bendis on X-Men that are terrible and rather memorable as such. At least Ellis had the characters' voices and motivations down properly.

Aside the dumb techno-babble, I think the worst thing about it was the core idea of non-mutants-but-mutants had already been done both by Claremont's Neo and Carey's Children of the Vault, plus the mystery surrounding them was underwhelming as heck.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I really, really hated Bianchi's art back then. I feel like he's made his art less ugly now and even some issues he did that I actually thought were okay, but that run on Astonishing and the Wolverine v. Sabertooth storyline... it was unreadable. Just puddles of dark ink and ugly rage faces or completely baffling panel layouts.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Eh, honestly, I think that's kind of an exaggeration. I can barely remember it -- that's how unmemorable it was -- but we are in a world with Brian Wood and Bendis on X-Men that are terrible and rather memorable as such. At least Ellis had the characters' voices and motivations down properly.

Aside the dumb techno-babble, I think the worst thing about it was the core idea of non-mutants-but-mutants had already been done both by Claremont's Neo and Carey's Children of the Vault, plus the mystery surrounding them was underwhelming as heck.

I still have no clue what Forge was on about but yeah overall it wasn't horrible, it was just there. You could read like the first couple of issues and the last issue and catch the gist.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I guess I'll skip it for now unless I see it super cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Probably Magic posted:

I really, really hated Bianchi's art back then. I feel like he's made his art less ugly now and even some issues he did that I actually thought were okay, but that run on Astonishing and the Wolverine v. Sabertooth storyline... it was unreadable. Just puddles of dark ink and ugly rage faces or completely baffling panel layouts.

I used to really like Bianchi's pencils; my only issue is that the colorists he would use would always cover the art in this awful, dark airbrushing technique. Nowadays, I think his art has gotten even worse (especially for his issues of New Avengers).

• Locked thread