Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I wonder what hit it to only damage the fender, bumper, and mess up that strut so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've seen an almost identical kill from a high speed curb hit. Dunno about the fender though. Jersey barrier?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hard to tell from the pics..
Did it get hit right at the tire and then the shock tower bot bent and broke..
or
Did the shock tower break and that caused the issue?

From what I see it got hit at the tire which bent the tire.. Suspension / steering parts aren't meant to have something bounce off of it, I got hit directly at the rear tire in a car before and needed a whole new "axel" because the tire was no longer straight.. granted my suspension was still in place but that's because the chunk of metal the hub mounted to took all the force.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had an identical (but more severe) hit like that on a sedona/carnival. The lower control arm was fully bent back on itself and torn out of the massive bush mount on the subframe.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

2009 Corolla got hot enough to melt the intake, but kept running for a while anyway.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
/\/\ Holy poo poo! :stonk: /\/\

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've seen an almost identical kill from a high speed curb hit. Dunno about the fender though. Jersey barrier?

Carteret posted:

I wonder what hit it to only damage the fender, bumper, and mess up that strut so badly.

I don't know the official story, but it looked as if it was a glancing type hit with the wheels turned out, like blindly pulling out of a parallel parking spot into traffic.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 3, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Came across this in the morning

There was an enormous gouge in the road leading up to that truck.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Root Bear posted:

2012 Kia Soul.

Brittle. :stare:

There is no way you got that sway bar link off that easily. I have yet to do one on a car around Chicago that didn't require oxy or destruction of the link itself.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Screws, nuts and bolts actually have a direction other than on when the car doesn't live in the rust belt.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

SouthsideSaint posted:

There is no way you got that sway bar link off that easily. I have yet to do one on a car around Chicago that didn't require oxy or destruction of the link itself.

My routine for sway bar links now is to just use the air chisel right off the bat.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah the rust belt sure does make car work fun. I just use a big pry bar and a hammer to brake them off then an impact and vise grips. If im lucky, but if not its just oxy acetylene melting them to nothing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Car work in the rust belt starts with at least three different types of hammers, a set of pry bars, and a giant can of penetrating oil. Doesn't matter the year of car.

Every. Single. Job.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Unless you're Sockington and somehow get away with using a small off brand electric impact and just willing the bolts off. He's the rust whisperer.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

8ender posted:

Car work in the rust belt starts with at least three different types of hammers, a set of pry bars, and a giant can of penetrating oil, torch device. Doesn't matter the year of car.

Every. Single. Job.

fixed that for ya

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

8ender posted:

He's the rust whisperer.
The rest of you merely adopted rust. Sockington was formed by it.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiySKuVs2fI

:stare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The best part is that he seems surprised that someone is filming.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bugdrvr posted:

Screws, nuts and bolts actually have a direction other than on when the car doesn't live in the rust belt.
I find it strange watching Mighty Car Mods when they go to undo a 20-year-old bolted joint, and actually can.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

I find it strange watching Mighty Car Mods when they go to undo a 20-year-old bolted joint, and actually can.

I took the factory exhaust manifolds off my 1965 and all the bolts came out with just a ratchet except one.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/this-2016-ford-super-duty-prototype-burned-to-the-ground

Aluminum body confirmed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Holy fucken poo poo.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Ironically they were hauling a large amount of water, by the sound of it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Ironically they were hauling a large amount of water, by the sound of it.

Yeah. I assume the tank serves as a large weight to test towing capability.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I guess maybe they should put a pump and a hose on it for future testing...

Change your timing belt on schedule. Oh, change the idler pulleys with it... Found this at the yard last weekend. Wonder why it was there? :v:

(Yes, those are 3 ball bearings under it)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steel balls, you mean :spergin:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

It's usually always that lower driver side one too. They fail before the belt ever does.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, that's the one that was hilariously grindy when we tore the EJ22E down to build my motor, if you remember. I wasn't too surprised to see that.

I think it's because that particular one has the worst belt wrap for its bearing size - and therefore will have more load for less strength. Since it's got the most (well, maybe second most) wrap, it will also cause more belt tension issues faster when it wears out. The bottom one on the passenger side is barely loaded and would barely affect anything if it disappeared anyways, for example.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I guess maybe they should put a pump and a hose on it for future testing...

Change your timing belt on schedule. Oh, change the idler pulleys with it... Found this at the yard last weekend. Wonder why it was there? :v:

(Yes, those are 3 ball bearings under it)

Hahahaha, I have had the displeasure of seeing that exact scene when I pulled the timing cover off my Forester, same pulley and everything. Dumb PO replaced the belt and pump but none of the idlers/tensioner. Thing went off like a grenade, most of the ball bearings made escape holes in the cover.

I still don't know how it didn't destroy the valves...

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

`Nemesis posted:

The overhead view is quite spectacular

Surprisingly they have reopened this bridge tonight. They've put in some sort of temporary beam.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rocket_350 posted:

Surprisingly they have reopened this bridge tonight. They've put in some sort of temporary beam.

That is an amazingly quick turnaround time for such infrastructure damage.

Personally, I wouldn't feel terribly comfortable driving over that bridge.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The bridge probably had some sort of protective beam, so that a simple truck impact can't ruin the structure of the entire bridge, and they simply replaced it.

At least, that's what I'd do, if my job was designing and building bridges.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The Midniter posted:

That is an amazingly quick turnaround time for such infrastructure damage.

Personally, I wouldn't feel terribly comfortable driving over that bridge.

if it didn't fail during the impact or after removing the damaged beams, it'll probably be ok with temporary fixes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ika posted:

if it didn't fail during the impact or after removing the damaged beams, it'll probably be ok with temporary fixes.

Everything I know about bridges comes from Bridge Constructor, and in video game land one piece breaking means everything else is suddenly dealing with a lot of new stress it may not have been designed for.

I'd assume for a real world bridge they'd design the bits that are most likely to get hit by a truck to be redundant or not critical, so maybe it's fine, but I'd at least want a crew to inspect the entire span before reopening it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

xzzy posted:

Everything I know about bridges comes from Bridge Constructor, and in video game land one piece breaking means everything else is suddenly dealing with a lot of new stress it may not have been designed for.

Yeah but that game is 2D man, and the bit that broke was in the third dimension so wouldn't have affected your Bridge Constructor bridge.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

xzzy posted:

I'd assume for a real world bridge they'd design the bits that are most likely to get hit by a truck to be redundant or not critical, so maybe it's fine, but I'd at least want a crew to inspect the entire span before reopening it.
ianae

Here's the wikipedia entry for the structure

The part that was damaged is what is providing lateral stability for the main span supporting arches. The removal of some of that structure would not critically disrupt the supporting span unless there was a significant lateral force applied. This may happen with a severe side load, hurricane level wind, earth quake etc but steel arch bridges are designed with significant amounts of redundancy.

Not only that but if you look you will see that there was extensive scaffolding already in place due to some maintenance project. That would have been providing additional lateral stability as well.

tl;dr You'd have to be in an advanced state of paranoia to think that this was critical structural damage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon posted:

tl;dr You'd have to be in an advanced state of paranoia to think that this was critical structural damage.

That’s a bit strong. The Skagit river bridge collapsed under similar circumstances. What was a critical member in that bridge is not in this one.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

That’s a bit strong. The Skagit river bridge collapsed under similar circumstances. What was a critical member in that bridge is not in this one.
I realise that you acknowledge that there is no similarity between the bridges in your post. That really makes me wonder why you thought it was worth pointing out.

From the very link you posted:

quote:

This steel through-truss bridge has a "fracture-critical" design with non-redundant load-bearing beams and joints that are each essential to the whole structure staying intact. An initial failure (perhaps by cracking) of a single essential part can sometimes overload other parts and make them fail, which quickly triggers a chain reaction of even more failures and causes the entire bridge span to collapse. In 2007 the I-35W Mississippi River bridge in Minneapolis collapsed suddenly from slow cracking of a single undersized and over-stressed gusset plate. In steel these initial fractures begin small and take years to grow large enough to become dangerous. Following Minneapolis, such age-related disasters in fracture-critical bridges are now avoided by finding and repairing cracks in a required thorough inspection every two years. Eighteen thousand bridges in the United States are labelled fracture-critical (from their design) and require crack inspections.[5] The Skagit bridge was last inspected for cracks in August and November 2012 with only minor work needed.[6]

Arch =/= steel through-truss.

OK maybe a little bit strong but my point stands for the bridge originally being discussed. The opinion of the actual structural engineers involved would be illuminating.

To post a mechanical failure:

Seat belt retractors never worked.
Critical wiring for the operation of 4WD located where it can be scrubbed off by undergrowth.
Persistent and known resonance defect that causes front end wobble at between 60 and 80 kph.
Resonance caused fracture of main chassis frame.

It's a shame because there is so much to like and praise about the vehicle. I'd include pictures of the damage but they don't actually look impressive.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Persistent and known resonance defect that causes front end wobble at between 60 and 80 kph.
Resonance caused fracture of main chassis frame.

Now THAT is what I call Death Wobble.

And for the lazy folks, 60-80 kph is about 37-50 mph.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress, I've always had a soft spot for the Jimny :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I thought GMC made the Jimmy.