Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I can't even begin to comprehend that facebook page. Is it some kind of meta-troll or satire, or is it being put together by people who really hate muslims to rile up people against muslims in the most banal and see through way possible which people are constantly falling for...

I don't even... just :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Someone who is a mildly more intelligent racist than the standard racist is running that page with the intention to get the standard racist riled up into hating Muslims moreso with the basis that this will then ensure more people align with their own lovely beliefs.

So basically a young lib.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Captain Pissweak posted:

So basically a young lib.

If it were young Libs it would be more vitriolic, I was in Young Labor Left (god help me) for a bit, and the young Libs, (and nearly as much young labor right) were the most bilious fuckers I have ever seen. They live each to day to seek out people getting above their station, or away from white monoculture, to then become frothingly enraged by it.

If a young lib wrote that, it would be praising Hamas and ISIS and declaring a new Emir of Al-australia every week.

It was a Libs junior staffer.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Jumpingmanjim posted:

here's a question, what the gently caress does the herald sun put on their front cover tomorrow? I predict they will blame labor some how.

It's another attempt to make something of the Aussie-Jihadi's, but in the bottom left corner they have this:

Someone photoshop an S on the end
E: bigger here http://heraldsun.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
:boltsay:

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
no link yet but Mike Carlton has left SMH.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ler posted:

Has he been signed up by the Guardian yet?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Gough Suppressant posted:

I know racists aren't that smart as a general rule, but how in the name of gently caress can anyone not look at that and immediately realise it's a loving lovely joke?

Because they want it to be true.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ler posted:

It's another attempt to make something of the Aussie-Jihadi's, but in the bottom left corner they have this:

Someone photoshop an S on the end
E: bigger here http://heraldsun.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

This really makes me hope Bolt has a crying fit about that comic.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Ler posted:

I guess Blot gets to claim a victory after all!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Hahaha Daily Tele online doesn't mention 18C anywhere on its mobile front page but Mike Carlton is one of the top stories.

Same on the Hun.

The Australian has three stories on Carlton and one mention of 18C.

:allears:

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 5, 2014

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Why aren't they defending his right to be a bigot?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The Honi Soit piece on the young libs is up

http://honisoit.com/2014/08/young-libs-exposed-the-ambition-faction-the-left-and-the-uglies/

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ler posted:

More proof that the Jewish mafia runs the world

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

webmeister posted:

More proof that the Jewish mafia runs the world

loving Rothschilds :argh:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:golfclap:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hooman posted:

I can't even begin to comprehend that facebook page. Is it some kind of meta-troll or satire, or is it being put together by people who really hate muslims to rile up people against muslims in the most banal and see through way possible which people are constantly falling for...

I don't even... just :confused:

A guy I know shared the page:

quote:

I dont get this trolling thing but its not a joke. In the next 5 years 2/3 of world population be islamic. In next 10 years they believe Aus will be islamic nation. Might be a joke now but this is getting serious
:qq:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
:qq: my free speech :qq: says Andrew Bolt on the front page of the Herald Sun in his nationally syndicated opinion piece.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
"they believe"

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Haters Objector posted:

"they believe"

Yep. Still not sure who 'they' are.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Haters Objector posted:

"they* believe"

*Citation needed

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Nibbles! posted:

:qq: my free speech :qq: says Andrew Bolt on the front page of the Herald Sun in his nationally syndicated opinion piece.

:qq: The inadequate suppression of the free speech of those I dislike :qq:

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Good news everyone, police have made an arrest in relation to the secret and undeclared $60,000 gift given to Tony Abbott's daughter!

quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/06/frances-abbott-scholarship-former-worker-is-charged-with-data-breach

NSW police have charged a 20-year-old whistleblower in relation to the revelations earlier this year that Frances Abbott was attending the Whitehouse Institute of Design on an unadvertised $60,000 scholarship.

In May it was discovered that the daughter of the prime minister, Tony Abbott, had been attending the school on a “chairman’s scholarship,” which she had been offered exclusively.

Les Taylor, the chairman of the school’s board of governors, personally recommended Frances for the scholarship and is a Liberal party donor.

On Tuesday police issued a court attendance notice to the 20-year-old woman “in relation to the unauthorised access of restricted data,” a NSW Police spokeswoman told Guardian Australia.

“The woman, who was a former employee of a fashion design institute, is now due to appear before Downing centre local court on the 18th of September,” she said.

The investigation was sparked by a formal complaint from the Whitehouse institute about the alleged accessing of student records.

The institute’s chief executive, Ian Tudor, told Guardian Australia the confidentiality of student records was of “paramount importance to the institute, and given the magnitude of the breach of confidentiality we were obliged to report it to the police”.

At the time the prime minister was criticised for not declaring the scholarship on his parliamentary register of interests, however his office and the design school maintained the scholarship was granted on merit, and therefore did not need to be declared as a gift.

Fellow students of Frances Abbott were angry they had not been told of the scholarship’s existence. She was only the second student to receive the scholarship in the school’s 25-year history.

Police declined to give further details on the charge because the matter is before the court.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What are they doing about this new cyber-terrorism threat?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Contra Duck posted:

Good news everyone, police have made an arrest in relation to the secret and undeclared $60,000 gift given to Tony Abbott's daughter!

gently caress's sake....

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

gently caress's sake....

Her mistake was that she wasn't "hacking" a dead girl's voicemail to sell stories to a Murchoch rag.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not that we won Gallipoli either.
Well not to start with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Eastern_theatre_of_World_War_I

We lost the battle but won the war.

When do I get to wake up from this dystopian nightmare where basic human rights are stripped away because someone in a security service says they need to?

The front page of the Telegraph has an article about biometric scanning for departing travellers. FFS this isn't necessary. It can not be a high risk if nobody has ever died from it. Even if you count 9/11 and Bali the deaths (none of which would have been prevented by this or the majority of other measures) the possibility of deaths are minuscule. More lives would be saved by enacting helmet laws for car occupants. Please make it stop.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cartoon posted:

The front page of the Telegraph has an article about biometric scanning for departing travellers. FFS this isn't necessary. It can not be a high risk if nobody has ever died from it. Even if you count 9/11 and Bali the deaths (none of which would have been prevented by this or the majority of other measures) the possibility of deaths are minuscule. More lives would be saved by enacting helmet laws for car occupants. Please make it stop.

I agree. Can we get AMU in on thi-oh wait you guys got rid of him. :(

deathofmusic
Jan 3, 2001
So they've already admitted the terrorism excuse for the data retention laws is bullshit.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/data-storage-could-be-used-to-fight-general-crime-tony-abbott-says-20140806-3d78h.html

quote:

Controversial plans to store phone and internet logs of everyday Australians would include capturing a person's web browsing history and could be used to fight "general" crimes and not just in terror cases, Prime Minister Tony Abbott says.

The Coalition government wants to proceed with a plan to have "metadata" stored for two years, which ASIO boss David Irvine has described as "absolutely crucial" in monitoring and disrupting local terror cells.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott with Foreign Minister Julie Bishop and Attorney-General Senator George Brandis says data storage could be used to fight general crime not just terrorism.

Mr Abbott has likened the information to that included on the "front of an envelope".

''It's not what you're doing on the internet, it's the sites you're visiting, it's not the content, it's the sites that you've been,'' he told the Nine Network on Wednesday.

Speaking a short time later on ABC radio, Mr Abbott said the proposal was ''absolutely critical'' for agencies fighting terrorism but also said the data would be used ''in crime fighting more generally''.

''All we want is for the telecommunications companies to continue to keep the person sending the information, the person to whom the information is being sent, the time it was sent and the place it was sent from,'' he told ABC Radio.

He rejected industry claims the cost of retaining, storing and protecting the data could see consumer’s bills rise by $10 to $20.

''I don't know why they would say that they would be saying that because this is information which is already kept,'' Mr Abbott said.

Labor Leader Bill Shorten has attacked speculation of increased costs as an ''internet tax'', which has said would constitute a ''liefecta'' of broken promises, which includes the debt levy and higher fuel tax.

''It's not what you're doing on the internet, it's the sites you're visiting, it's not the content, it's the sites that you've been,''

The site's you're visiting have nothing to do with what you're doing on the internet!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

Hahaha Daily Tele online doesn't mention 18C anywhere on its mobile front page but Mike Carlton is one of the top stories.

Same on the Hun.

The Australian has three stories on Carlton and one mention of 18C.

:allears:

Sharri Markson has been trumpeting her success about it on twitter this morning. She put together a pdf of all of Mike Carlton's responses as proof of his abuse. She forwarded 15 of his emails to the SMH editor, who then pressured Carlton to resign.

So how did she get the emails and what was Carlton responding to? :iiam: I don't think the guy was smart to do what he did, because clearly Murdoch Ltd has decided if they can't win the circulation wars, they'll just whittle down the other side.

Endman
May 18, 2010

deathofmusic posted:

''It's not what you're doing on the internet, it's the sites you're visiting, it's not the content, it's the sites that you've been,''

The site's you're visiting have nothing to do with what you're doing on the internet!

Well poo poo, I guess we'll have to continue this conversation in prison for visiting the popular terrorist and muslim dating website somethingawful dot com.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

For Opal chat a few pages back: the Opal website is currently down, a nice touch to show the staability of the ticketing system.
As for cost, it's only better if you travel 5 days a week or use only trains outside of peak times.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Amoeba102 posted:

As for cost, it's only better if you travel 5 days a week or use only trains outside of peak times.
I'm mildly curious what percentage of travellers that would be; I'd assume quite a large number of people would fit the first of those criteria, probably a majority.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ICAC is back, and it's as good as last season. Really impressed with how the writers keep coming up with new material.

ewe2 posted:

Sharri Markson has been trumpeting her success about it on twitter this morning. She put together a pdf of all of Mike Carlton's responses as proof of his abuse. She forwarded 15 of his emails to the SMH editor, who then pressured Carlton to resign.

So how did she get the emails and what was Carlton responding to? :iiam: I don't think the guy was smart to do what he did, because clearly Murdoch Ltd has decided if they can't win the circulation wars, they'll just whittle down the other side.
Probably got them by asking the people involved; there were quotes from them in the articles.

And Fairfax is quite capable of loving itself without News' help.

I likr Carlton generally, but sending a bunch of abusive emails and tweets is pretty indefensible in his position.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Exception if you used a multi ticket. I should have said it's better if you use exclusively one for of transport 5 days a week, unless it's traisn outside of peak times.

I think if you got a multi 3 the Opal would be cheaper due to the 60 dollar weekely cap, but I don't know the prices off-hand. The multi 2 was 52, maybe it's up to 54 now. It depends how much the bus costs you, and if it's a long ride, you'll add up to $9 a day.
Opal can be cheaper, if you have more than 2 journeys a day, ie catch a short bus at lunch that'd be cheaper than than your normal commute. You have to game the system to get the most out of it or you'll end up worse off. Mainly because the mymulti was a great deal.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 6, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Doctor Spaceman posted:

ICAC is back, and it's as good as last season. Really impressed with how the writers keep coming up with new material.

Notes from the Managing Director of Tinkler's company. Joe is Tripodi:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Probably got them by asking the people involved; there were quotes from them in the articles.

And Fairfax is quite capable of loving itself without News' help.

I likr Carlton generally, but sending a bunch of abusive emails and tweets is pretty indefensible in his position.

Yeah I thought of that after I posted, which sounds like a deliberate trap. It's making himself an easy target by biting back, and meanwhile we have a story about offensive journalists instead of the real offence which is Israel's continuing genocide by a thousand cuts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

Notes from the Managing Director of Tinkler's company. Joe is Tripodi:

Pretty sure the guy that ran Buildev lived next door to my parents for ages.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Amoeba102 posted:

For Opal chat a few pages back: the Opal website is currently down, a nice touch to show the staability of the ticketing system.

More Opal chat: I saw the other day, for the first time, someone actually use it on a bus. It takes as long to get on a bus with Opal as it does for the current ticket machines, and now it takes as long to get off the bus. So not only have they not changed how long it takes to get everyone on a bus (which is a big deal during peak hour) but the new system adds time to people getting off the bus. So now it takes longer to get on and off buses, harder to get tickets, and costs more. I'd be more upset about this monumental fuckup if it weren't the NSW government behind it - I think I have some serious fuckup fatigue there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

deathofmusic posted:

So they've already admitted the terrorism excuse for the data retention laws is bullshit.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/data-storage-could-be-used-to-fight-general-crime-tony-abbott-says-20140806-3d78h.html

Turns out Abbott was wrong and browsing history isn't actually a part of data retention.

• Locked thread