Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Huh, you're right. It was a contract to hire position through a headhunter so I just assumed. Time to call them up, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

Huh, you're right. It was a contract to hire position through a headhunter so I just assumed. Time to call them up, I guess.

I thought it was statutory withholding but the rate is wrong. Who knows.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Did you get a 1099? What did your pay statements look like?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

My recruiter said that she believes they are W2 wages. That solves that problem.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

My recruiter said that she believes they are W2 wages. That solves that problem.

Not really. "Believes" != "what actually happened." You should have gotten a paystub showing withholdings - no paystub, no withholdings. I see some clients come through every now and then with a check that had "withholdings" but the payer was just keeping the money.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This is what's relevant on my paystub. The rest is a bunch of zero entries for deductions and benefits

code:
Check Number:	 	xxxxx
Employer:	 	 xxxx
Employee:	 	 xxxx 
xxxx
Employee ID:	 	xxxx	
Pay Date:	June 26, 2014
Pay Period:	06/22/2014 - 06/22/2014
Current Hours:	40
Year to Date Hours:	663.5

TAX DATA	FED	STATE
Marital Status:	SINGLE	SINGLE
Exemptions:	2	2

EARNINGS	Rate	Hours	Period	YTD
REG	$18.00	40	$720.00	$11,848.50
OT	$0.00	0	$0.00	$141.75
APN	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
APT	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
ADJ	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
HOL	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
VAC	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
OTHER	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
GROSS EARNINGS	$720.00	$11,990.25

TAXES	Current	YTD
 	FED WH	$70.00	$1,152.51
 	FICASS	$44.64	$743.40
 	FICAMED	$10.44	$173.86
 	CO	$24.00	$400.00
 	TOTAL TAXES	$149.08	$2,475.77

NET EARNINGS	NET EARNINGS YTD
$570.92	$9,514.48

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

This is what's relevant on my paystub. The rest is a bunch of zero entries for deductions and benefits

code:
Check Number:	 	xxxxx
Employer:	 	 xxxx
Employee:	 	 xxxx 
xxxx
Employee ID:	 	xxxx	
Pay Date:	June 26, 2014
Pay Period:	06/22/2014 - 06/22/2014
Current Hours:	40
Year to Date Hours:	663.5

TAX DATA	FED	STATE
Marital Status:	SINGLE	SINGLE
Exemptions:	2	2

EARNINGS	Rate	Hours	Period	YTD
REG	$18.00	40	$720.00	$11,848.50
OT	$0.00	0	$0.00	$141.75
APN	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
APT	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
ADJ	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
HOL	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
VAC	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
OTHER	$0.00	0	$0.00	$0.00
GROSS EARNINGS	$720.00	$11,990.25

TAXES	Current	YTD
 	FED WH	$70.00	$1,152.51
 	FICASS	$44.64	$743.40
 	FICAMED	$10.44	$173.86
 	CO	$24.00	$400.00
 	TOTAL TAXES	$149.08	$2,475.77

NET EARNINGS	NET EARNINGS YTD
$570.92	$9,514.48

That's W-2.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AbbiTheDog posted:

Not really. "Believes" != "what actually happened." You should have gotten a paystub showing withholdings - no paystub, no withholdings. I see some clients come through every now and then with a check that had "withholdings" but the payer was just keeping the money.

Wouldn't the payer be liable for failing to turn over withheld monies?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

sullat posted:

Wouldn't the payer be liable for failing to turn over withheld monies?

Yes, they would be embezzling trust fund withholdings, which is one of the few areas that the IRS will actively send the DOJ after your rear end.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

AbbiTheDog posted:

That's W-2.

How dare you ruin the surprise of my unexpectedly large refund :mad:

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

ThirdPartyView posted:

Yes, they would be embezzling trust fund withholdings, which is one of the few areas that the IRS will actively send the DOJ after your rear end.

The government doesn't screw around with payroll taxes. They issue refunds to taxpayers even if the employer doesn't send in the money, and the government has the authority to go after "responsible parties" and breach the corporate veil to go after individuals for corporate tax liabilities. It's nasty.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

AbbiTheDog posted:

It's nasty.

Man, you misspelled awesome.

I wish the corporate veil could be pierced for more offenses.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Man, you misspelled awesome.

I wish the corporate veil could be pierced for more offenses.

There was a recent case where the IRS went after the CPA firm who didn't own/operate/manage their client for back payroll taxes. The CPA firm was preparing checks based on what the client told them to prepare and pay, and the IRS argued that the CPA firm should have made their client pay the back payroll taxes first.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Was the IRS successful in their argument? Not that it's fun arguing against the Service...

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

AbbiTheDog posted:

There was a recent case where the IRS went after the CPA firm who didn't own/operate/manage their client for back payroll taxes. The CPA firm was preparing checks based on what the client told them to prepare and pay, and the IRS argued that the CPA firm should have made their client pay the back payroll taxes first.

This is why you don't write checks for your clients. Huge issues come about. Was this a recent case, because this is a very well known no no in the industry. Maybe this was some rinky dink "CPA firm" with one 65 year old dude running it.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

This is why you don't write checks for your clients. Huge issues come about. Was this a recent case, because this is a very well known no no in the industry. Maybe this was some rinky dink "CPA firm" with one 65 year old dude running it.

Erwin vs. US, 111 AFTR 2d 2013-748.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Bloody Queef posted:

Plenty of CPA firms engage in funds control engagements. While the case you're referring to doesn't involve a funds control job, it's not rare for CPA firms to collect and disburse monies on behalf of their clients.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Admiral101 posted:

Plenty of CPA firms engage in funds control engagements. While the case you're referring to doesn't involve a funds control job, it's not rare for CPA firms to collect and disburse monies on behalf of their clients.

We do write up work for our clients, and in some cases draft checks, but as soon as one of those clients gets behind in payroll taxes we terminate that part of our engagement with them. I'm not going to pay their back taxes.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Admiral101 posted:

We do some similar engagements. It is imperative that you know the client well and that everyone follows procedures.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

My mother is about to sell a house that we inherited, but had to pay for (my paternal grandmother was a scrooge). So she is about to have to pay a capital gains tax on $125k when the new year rolls around. I've read that you can gift up to $14,000 tax free once per year per person, does that mean she can gift me $14k and not pay taxes on that part of the $125? Can she do this to other people as well?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

My mother is about to sell a house that we inherited, but had to pay for (my paternal grandmother was a scrooge). So she is about to have to pay a capital gains tax on $125k when the new year rolls around. I've read that you can gift up to $14,000 tax free once per year per person, does that mean she can gift me $14k and not pay taxes on that part of the $125? Can she do this to other people as well?

No (as they're two different events - a sale and a gift, and the gift can't shelter the gain on sale), although you haven't really explained the sale of residence part. Is it her primary residence? Has she lived there for at least 2 of the last 5 years? Because there is a $250,000 exclusion for individuals ($500,000 for couples) on gains on sale for primary residences. It could very well be that she'll have $0 (or at least less than $125,000) in gain to recognize if she meets the requirements of the Section 121 exclusion, but you have to have to tell us more.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

No we looked into that already. They check pretty thoroughly to make sure it's actually your homestead if you want to claim the exclusion. Her drivers license shows her home, and her work is very close to her house whereas the inherited property is a few hours away.

My father lived there for quite a while and had his drivers license address as the inherited home for a few years while he was there often to take care of my grandmother and sell off some old stuff after she passed. But he died several years ago so I don't think there is any way to use the inherited property for the primary residence exclusion. But this is just from what I've read.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006

BiohazrD posted:

No we looked into that already. They check pretty thoroughly to make sure it's actually your homestead if you want to claim the exclusion. Her drivers license shows her home, and her work is very close to her house whereas the inherited property is a few hours away.

My father lived there for quite a while and had his drivers license address as the inherited home for a few years while he was there often to take care of my grandmother and sell off some old stuff after she passed. But he died several years ago so I don't think there is any way to use the inherited property for the primary residence exclusion. But this is just from what I've read.

Was the house in your mother or grandmother's name? By "inherited", I'm assuming you mean that the house was in your grandmother's name, and when your grandmother died, your mother received the house.

If this was the case, when did your grandmother die?

Inherited property received a "stepped up" basis at the time of the former owner's death to the fair market value at the time of death. Meaning: If your grandmother bought the home for 100k, when she died it was worth 200k, and your mother later sold it for 210k - the taxable gain to your mother is 10k, not 110k.

If the sale was relatively soon after your grandmother's death then it's safe to say that there's little to no gain on the property sale.

There may be some kind of state inheritance tax filings to help you determine the FMV of the house at date of death.

The home sale exclusion is irrelevant in your situation and you should not bother looking into it further.

Admiral101 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 13, 2014

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

I am about to marry someone who makes 1/4 as much salary as me (I am a terrible golddigger). My taxes and his have been fairly simple in the past - no dependents, single, 1 deduction on our I-9s. Once we're married, I know we should change our I-9s to say married, but I have also been told we should put a 2 on the higher earner's I-9 and a 0 on the lower earner's I-9 to avoid paying way more taxes than we need to and getting a huge refund. Is this correct?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

I am about to marry someone who makes 1/4 as much salary as me (I am a terrible golddigger). My taxes and his have been fairly simple in the past - no dependents, single, 1 deduction on our I-9s. Once we're married, I know we should change our I-9s to say married, but I have also been told we should put a 2 on the higher earner's I-9 and a 0 on the lower earner's I-9 to avoid paying way more taxes than we need to and getting a huge refund. Is this correct?

That depends entirely on the actual income numbers, but it's not your I-9 that you declare your applicable deductions on, it's the W-4.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

I have an opportunity to get transferred internationally. Do I still pay US income tax?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Celot posted:

I have an opportunity to get transferred internationally. Do I still pay US income tax?

US citizens and resident aliens are taxed on all income, whether US or foreign sourced (although you get to take the Foreign Tax Credit or Foreign Earned Income Exclusion on the foreign sourced income), so yes.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

ThirdPartyView posted:

US citizens and resident aliens are taxed on all income, whether US or foreign sourced (although you get to take the Foreign Tax Credit or Foreign Earned Income Exclusion on the foreign sourced income), so yes.

... but you get a big exclusion from paying taxes on a big chunk of it and a credit towards your US tax for any foreign tax you pay, so it can offset a lot of (if not all of) your liability.

Edit: you ninja-edited to mention the exclusion/credit.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bisty Q. posted:

... but you get a big exclusion from paying taxes on a big chunk of it and a credit towards your US tax for any foreign tax you pay, so it can offset a lot of (if not all of) your liability.

Edit: you ninja-edited to mention the exclusion/credit.

Technically, you take the exclusion or the credit, not both (since that would be double dipping). A good amount of the time the Foreign Tax Credit works out to save more money so you would generally (but not always) end up electing that.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 15, 2014

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

baquerd posted:

That depends entirely on the actual income numbers, but it's not your I-9 that you declare your applicable deductions on, it's the W-4.

Sorry I got the names mixed up.

I think my totally taxable income after my 401k this year is going to be something like 64k, and his will be something like 16-18k.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Sorry I got the names mixed up.

I think my totally taxable income after my 401k this year is going to be something like 64k, and his will be something like 16-18k.

Fortunately enough for you, the W-4 actually has a worksheet attached to it for exactly this sort of situation.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

It looks like if you both refile your W-4's as married filing jointly with zero allowances, you'll have less than a thousand in taxes due at the end of the year.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

baquerd posted:

Fortunately enough for you, the W-4 actually has a worksheet attached to it for exactly this sort of situation.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

It looks like if you both refile your W-4's as married filing jointly with zero allowances, you'll have less than a thousand in taxes due at the end of the year.

OK... so I did the worksheet and I got 0 as well. This confuses me, because I thought lower numbers of allowances meant more was withheld, but I'm willing to take it on faith unless someone just wants to explain.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

OK... so I did the worksheet and I got 0 as well. This confuses me, because I thought lower numbers of allowances meant more was withheld, but I'm willing to take it on faith unless someone just wants to explain.

Your allowances' actual impact on taxes withheld depends on your filing status. Taking zero allowances as MFJ will generally mean that less will be taken out in terms of taxes compared to filing Single with one allowance.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
If I have two jobs in the same field, one W-2 and the other 1099, how does deducting for professional license fees, health insurance, uniforms, continuing education, etc work assuming the W-2 employer provides no reimbursement for any of those?

If I only had a W-2 job, I think I could only deduct any unreimbursed expense and healthcare expenses greater than a percentage of my AGI if I itemized. If I only had a 1099 job, I could deduct the various fees and health insurance premiums in their entirety against that income. But I'm not sure how it would work if I have both. Could I count the entire cost against the 1099 income or would I only be allowed to deduct a certain percentage of them on Schedule C?

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 19, 2014

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
My freelance business is on track to make $45K-$50K this year so I sure I'm going to have to pay a nice chunk of taxes.

My question is about deducting business expenses. Since I'm sure I'll owe about $14,000 in taxes (~30% of my earnings) would it be wise to spend around $14,000 on the business so it will cancel out my tax liability (I mean, I'm going to lose that $14K anyways, right)? Is that how all that works or am I horribly misinformed?

Additionally, how much should I expect to pay a CPA to help me get all this in order (deductions, quarterly filing, etc.)? Thanks

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Omits-Bagels posted:

My question is about deducting business expenses. Since I'm sure I'll owe about $14,000 in taxes (~30% of my earnings) would it be wise to spend around $14,000 on the business so it will cancel out my tax liability (I mean, I'm going to lose that $14K anyways, right)? Is that how all that works or am I horribly misinformed?

Business owners everywhere would collectively orgasm if that's how taxes worked.

Unfortunately, let's say you're paying $10k in taxes on $50k of income, and then you want to mitigate those taxes and so you spend $10k in deductible costs. Now, you're taxed as if you made $40k, so you only pay $8k in taxes. This is a gross oversimplification, but the takeaway is that business deductions are not tax credits, they only decrease the amount of taxable earnings.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

baquerd posted:

Business owners everywhere would collectively orgasm if that's how taxes worked.

Unfortunately, let's say you're paying $10k in taxes on $50k of income, and then you want to mitigate those taxes and so you spend $10k in deductible costs. Now, you're taxed as if you made $40k, so you only pay $8k in taxes. This is a gross oversimplification, but the takeaway is that business deductions are not tax credits, they only decrease the amount of taxable earnings.

Ok, good. I thought that didn't sound right.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Omits-Bagels posted:

Additionally, how much should I expect to pay a CPA to help me get all this in order (deductions, quarterly filing, etc.)? Thanks

Asking this is like asking a mechanic how much it will cost to fix your car without taking it into the shop for an inspection.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Are any of the taxes on utilities (electric, gas, phones, etc) deductible as part of the general sales tax deduction?

For example, there is a 5% flat tax on my electric bill:

LOCAL GOVERNMENT FEE 5% $20.74

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006

Droo posted:

Are any of the taxes on utilities (electric, gas, phones, etc) deductible as part of the general sales tax deduction?

For example, there is a 5% flat tax on my electric bill:

LOCAL GOVERNMENT FEE 5% $20.74

That's not a sales tax.

Not every payment made to a local/state government is going to be deductible. Many, many aren't (eg; car registration fees, state unemployment, etc)