Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

I am sure that the dwarves running from a few bones and dead mice in the refusepool is not intended.

For the record, only bodies, whole skeletons and random body parts can cause horror. I have a refuse stockpile holding bones, skulls, hooves, etc. for my crafter five tiles away from the main stairwell and no one has ever reacted to it in any way. Similarly, the outside refuse stockpile for vermin remains and dead invaders only sends dwarves screaming when actual corpses are in there, no one is terrified of a dead cockroach or mice as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mygna posted:

For the record, only bodies, whole skeletons and random body parts can cause horror. I have a refuse stockpile holding bones, skulls, hooves, etc. for my crafter five tiles away from the main stairwell and no one has ever reacted to it in any way. Similarly, the outside refuse stockpile for vermin remains and dead invaders only sends dwarves screaming when actual corpses are in there, no one is terrified of a dead cockroach or mice as far as I can tell.

And it all slowly builds up discipline, which is also the real key thing missing. Right now, pretty much everyone in the world is a special snowflake greenhorn. Military training buffs that up fast, but I haven't tested to see if that effects off-duty soldiers civilian-ing it up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It definitely builds up discipline. I had a decomposing wereiguana lying about near my main entrance for a good while, and while everyone was running away screaming at first, with time they got used to it being there.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The Gemclod corpse road would now actually be useful!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Adrenaline/stress/fight-or-flight overrides in a crisis situation actually sound like a pretty great thing for Toady to look at, even if it adds yet another layer of behind-the-scenes complexity. I'd love to see him model hysterical strength, causing unarmed mortally afraid dwarven parents to see invaders approaching their children, fly into a desperate frenzy, and start clawing eyes and wrestling away weapons and strangling trolls and poo poo in a last-ditch attempt to protect them. The old berserk/trance system is neat but it seems fairly simplistic, and having it play a more thorough and significant role would be really interesting.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Adrenaline/stress/fight-or-flight overrides in a crisis situation actually sound like a pretty great thing for Toady to look at, even if it adds yet another layer of behind-the-scenes complexity. I'd love to see him model hysterical strength, causing unarmed mortally afraid dwarven parents to see invaders approaching their children, fly into a desperate frenzy, and start clawing eyes and wrestling away weapons and strangling trolls and poo poo in a last-ditch attempt to protect them. The old berserk/trance system is neat but it seems fairly simplistic, and having it play a more thorough and significant role would be really interesting.

Why would it need to be behind the scenes tho? Just add another job - herbalist - that gathers plants that increase adrenaline for example. And each squad can just take a few of those things with them. And in battle they will just use it automatically to boost their strength, etc.

e: Or make it an action in the squad menu

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 5, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'd like that to check on a dwarf's attributes and personality for things like "poo poo! Urist McBerserk finally went over the edge! He is weak, I am mighty. I don't like helping others but I always hated that prick. oh poo poo adrenaline just kicked in. gently caress it." And Urist McBystander clotheslines the insane dwarf as he runs by screaming murder.

Urist McBystander is content lately. He stopped an axe murderer recently.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

A minilog for 40.07-in-progress got missed yesterday!

Toady the Great posted:

Some more bugs were fixed as we begin the short road to 0.40.07.
-Fixed crash that involved promoting certain stops above their route
-Made paved roads only need as much material as required by the road tiles (rather than the whole rectangle)
-Cleaned up the creature pressure plate interface
-Made masterpiece announcements wait for all item info to be decided before trying to print item name
-Fixed a problem with unnamed historical figure statue/figurine item names and descriptions
-Stopped dwarves from liking special items
-Made translated name appear properly at the top of the screen when viewing creature

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Michaellaneous posted:

Why would it need to be behind the scenes tho? Just add another job - herbalist - that gathers plants that increase adrenaline for example. And each squad can just take a few of those things with them. And in battle they will just use it automatically to boost their strength, etc.

e: Or make it an action in the squad menu

While I don't think it would make sense as a substitute for panic reactions and natural adrenaline surges, I love the concept of dwarven combat drugs. Maybe that could be what golden salve does.

Literally Kermit posted:

I'd like that to check on a dwarf's attributes and personality for things like "poo poo! Urist McBerserk finally went over the edge! He is weak, I am mighty. I don't like helping others but I always hated that prick. oh poo poo adrenaline just kicked in. gently caress it." And Urist McBystander clotheslines the insane dwarf as he runs by screaming murder.

Urist McBystander is content lately. He stopped an axe murderer recently.

I hope Toady gets around to more advanced contextual thoughts regarding combat and crises. I'd like to see, "Cog Relaxedbrewer has been happy lately. He recently seized victory in battle against all odds," after Cog Relaxedbrewer miraculously manages to strike down that rampaging goblin hammerlord with a one-in-a-million adrenaline-fueled haymaker to the throat.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

While I don't think it would make sense as a substitute for panic reactions and natural adrenaline surges, I love the concept of dwarven combat drugs. Maybe that could be what golden salve does.

I don't mean it should be used a substitute, but a plant that incrases the output of adrenaline in a combat simulation would be a added bonus to the normal output already.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Angry Diplomat posted:

I hope Toady gets around to more advanced contextual thoughts regarding combat and crises. I'd like to see, "Cog Relaxedbrewer has been happy lately. He recently seized victory in battle against all odds," after Cog Relaxedbrewer miraculously manages to strike down that rampaging goblin hammerlord with a one-in-a-million adrenaline-fueled haymaker to the throat.

He dreams of killing 100 goblins and this dream was realized!

Actually if we're going whole hog, have soldiers get strange moods that involve killing instead of crafting. Like, a fey mooded hammerdwarf bashing heads in time to jaunty music! If not a body count, making a goblin explode in an impressive way.

Failure to satisfy this bloodlust is very costly, so capture live goblins and make sure to get your gladiator industry up and running as soon as you can. :black101:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
All this is making me think I need to mod in a custom reaction that lets me build a road out of skulls.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Literally Kermit posted:

He dreams of killing 100 goblins and this dream was realized!

Actually if we're going whole hog, have soldiers get strange moods that involve killing instead of crafting.

Yeah, that would be amazing. You should suggest it somewhere! I wonder if there's any way to hack that into the current dreams system so they dream of killing certain things, or if that's all internalised.

And I adore the idea of a dwarven drugs :2bong: factory with dwarves chugging a few carefully brewed serums before battle or training. What could possibly go wrong?! (answer: entire fort massacred because someone drunk the 100% proof murder vial)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gus Hobbleton posted:

All this is making me think I need to mod in a custom reaction that lets me build a road out of skulls.

As long as you can convince the game to let you make blocks from skulls, why not?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I'm pretty sure Masterwork has a workshop dedicated to making poo poo out of bones, so you could have a road made entirely from skull blocks if you wanted.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Build your roads out of skulls and your walls from meat and sinew and skin.

Meat fortress

:iit:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Generate an entire planet out of meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Pro loving Click.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Playing a vampire in adventure mode is pretty fun, even if it is weird that my warhamher merely breaks bones while my punches cause things to explode into gore.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

If you could probe your character's physical state right now, you'd see that you're about the size of a Tank and also punch like one.

Strength modification has that effect on people.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I just reclaimed an abandoned volcano fort (to hopefully fix the murderous militia issues) and it decided to overflow the crater, flooding my fortress and burning the reclamation party alive. The lava flow shows no signs of stopping.

This is the best goddamn game.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

If you could probe your character's physical state right now, you'd see that you're about the size of a Tank and also punch like one.

Strength modification has that effect on people.

so by extension, are you saying my danger-room-trained dwarves are basically The Hulk in size and strength?

...You wouldn't like Urist when he's angry :iit:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So what does the non-graphical FPS rate affect? If I set it higher, does time progress more quickly?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Subjunctive posted:

So what does the non-graphical FPS rate affect? If I set it higher, does time progress more quickly?

Yes it does. captain duck got a new computer and set his really high and everyone was moving/digging really loving fast. I think he built a huge wall (with wood) in a minute or two?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Excelzior posted:

so by extension, are you saying my danger-room-trained dwarves are basically The Hulk in size and strength?

...You wouldn't like Urist when he's angry :iit:

I dunno, actually. I don't know if natural limits go that far.

You know how the human median value for a stat is 1000 and the dwarven bracket for "superhuman beefcake" is at 2250, right? Vampirism straight up doubles that number.

The Tank comparison is a little off mark, though, since I thought vampires had the same PHYS_ATT_CHANGE syndrome as the undead for a moment. That one is triple strength + 1000 on top. Ridiculous.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just had a fortress that was completely annihilated by an ambush of four necromancers. I didn't realize that all the Kea my hunters had been killing were too small to butcher, so the initial zombie spawn was about 30 of those. I didn't really have a military set up so it was a total bloodbath. The only survivor was a werelizard I had walled in 100 z-levels underground in a 3x3 room with nothing but a bed, which he destroyed, and a level that does nothing. At least he gets to be mayor of zombie mountain!

DwarvenZombie
Aug 3, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

I just had a fortress that was completely annihilated by an ambush of four necromancers. I didn't realize that all the Kea my hunters had been killing were too small to butcher, so the initial zombie spawn was about 30 of those. I didn't really have a military set up so it was a total bloodbath. The only survivor was a werelizard I had walled in 100 z-levels underground in a 3x3 room with nothing but a bed, which he destroyed, and a level that does nothing. At least he gets to be mayor of zombie mountain!

Heh, right now I'm bulding a town by the sea and forgot that I was in a sinister area. loving whales man.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I was looking through my Legends.

:effort:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

scamtank posted:

I dunno, actually. I don't know if natural limits go that far.

You know how the human median value for a stat is 1000 and the dwarven bracket for "superhuman beefcake" is at 2250, right? Vampirism straight up doubles that number.

The Tank comparison is a little off mark, though, since I thought vampires had the same PHYS_ATT_CHANGE syndrome as the undead for a moment. That one is triple strength + 1000 on top. Ridiculous.

i dream of a day where weapon velocity is more closely tied to strength

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Boing posted:

I was looking through my Legends.

:effort:

A real go-getter, that Ramet.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

NuminaXLT posted:

A real go-getter, that Ramet.

I dunno man, it took him 24 years to do the one thing that the Sect of Dying is all about.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I dunno man, it took him 24 years to do the one thing that the Sect of Dying is all about.

It's like Scientology, takes a while to work your way up.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
Is there a way to collect peaches, etc. that is lying on the ground from the new trees?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

Is there a way to collect peaches, etc. that is lying on the ground from the new trees?

Not yet unfortunately.

Also I started an adventurer in a fort I retired. Items don't scatter like on a reclaim. The stockpiles themselves are not there but all the items are still stacked where they were when I retired the fort. Makes it easy to go to the armory and load up for an adventure.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

Only elves know the secret of picking fruit. :(

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Angela Christine posted:

Only elves know the secret of picking fruit. :(

If I cage and enslave a elf, can I bind it through torture to train my dwarves how to pick up fruit off of the ground?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Dwarves don't eat fruit.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
You can ferment fruit :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

If I cage and enslave a elf, can I bind it through torture to train my dwarves how to pick up fruit off of the ground?

Windfall fruit is all soft and wormy, it's no wonder no one will pick it up. If you want good fruit you have to pick it while it is still on the tree. No decent dwarf wants to climb trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Is it a mushroom?

YES -> EAT IT
NO -> IT IS TERRIFYING

That's basically all the dwarf AI, by the way.