Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Green Bay Wisconsin

Teams who started out when the NFL was the employees at the local meat packing factory battling the guys from the steel mill down the road do not count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
How did no one mention Las Vegas on the last page?

Sure it won't happen because the NFL likes to push away the idea that gambling has anything to do with the popularity of the sport but it seems a lot more likely than some of the places that were brought up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Richmond barely does (if it even does, I don't know).

Richmond is bigger than New Orleans and Buffalo and a hair smaller than San Diego and Jacksonville.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I don't see a Sacramento team being able to attract and hold a fanbase. Everyone there is already either a Niners or a Raiders fan.

Everyone everywhere is already a <x> fan. NFL is super-popular nationwide. I think there's this kind of tunnel vision (and not you particularly, I mean generally) that says that the only way a new NFL team can be successful is if there's somehow a bunch of football fans sitting around not watching any football, but desperately wanting to watch some football.

That doesn't mean you aren't correct about Sacramento, but they do have their own basketball team despite the Warriors being here in the bay area. It's a big metropolitan area and it's a little too far from the bay area to conveniently drive to a game (you can do it, but it's inconvenient). I tend to think that you could get an NFL franchise going pretty much anywhere in the US where that's the case.

Grittybeard posted:

Sure it won't happen because the NFL likes to push away the idea that gambling has anything to do with the popularity of the sport but it seems a lot more likely than some of the places that were brought up.

I suggested Phoenix but LV would be another option.

I don't have a good sense of how many people actually live there, as opposed to visit for gambling purposes, though. Phoenix is a huge sprawling metro area with no nearby NFL franchise as well, and presumably could attract people from all over New Mexico and beyond in terms of fandom. LV is kind of out in the middle of nowhere, so while maybe you get the LV TV market, you don't get the LA market so I'm not sure if there's enough broadcasting area for the NFL to be happy with it.

Ribsauce posted:

I thought you had to be a big city to have an NFL team. People are tossing around Mobile and Charleston. Neither even break 200k. Richmond barely does (if it even does, I don't know). Little Rock, are you serious?
Raleigh is half a million (double all those cities), has a good economy, and I would not think we would have a chance at a team, and that is before factoring in the Carolina Panthers.

Raleigh is also more affluent, and I think that's a big factor. Football tickets are expensive. I don't think Charleston or Mobile have any remote shot given their populations and the populations of their nearby cities, but Raleigh/Durham seems like more of a potential market.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Phoenix is a huge sprawling metro area with no nearby NFL franchise as well

I wonder what Larry Fitzgerald has been doing hanging around there for so many years then...

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Here's a list of the most populous metro areas of the US: http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/largest-cities-list.php

If you add even 4 teams based on that, it would be LA, Portland, Sacramento, and San Antonio. Would San Antonio also be able to draw from the Austin area as well?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Leperflesh posted:

Phoenix is a huge sprawling metro area with no nearby NFL franchise as well, and presumably could attract people from all over New Mexico and beyond in terms of fandom.

I know the Cardinals are a few years removed from the playoffs, but drat

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Sash! posted:

Richmond is bigger than New Orleans and Buffalo and a hair smaller than San Diego and Jacksonville.

Richmond also presumably has Norfolk/Virginia Beach

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

Richmond also presumably has Norfolk/Virginia Beach

I'd just go right there in the first place. VA Beach has about 50% more people than Richmond and is closing in on 2 million fast. Sidesteps the whole "Richmond is too close to DC" thing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Leperflesh posted:

Raleigh is also more affluent, and I think that's a big factor. Football tickets are expensive. I don't think Charleston or Mobile have any remote shot given their populations and the populations of their nearby cities, but Raleigh/Durham seems like more of a potential market.

Raleigh also has Fayetteville and Greensboro about (or a little more than) an hour away and Wilmington two hours away.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Guys he said NFL team, not MLB, come on. Everyone knows cardinals don't live in the desert.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

Guys he said NFL team, not MLB, come on. Everyone knows cardinals don't live in the desert.

Haha, yeah...

Wait, do you think the Arizona Cardinals are a baseball team?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

I'd just go right there in the first place. VA Beach has about 50% more people than Richmond and is closing in on 2 million fast. Sidesteps the whole "Richmond is too close to DC" thing.

Closing in on 2 million fast? Doesn't it have like 400,000?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

I object to all of Hampton Roads being called Virginia Beach. :mad:

The markets for teams are not just the cities they're named after. My assumption is that the NFL is interested in teams having a large population of people who will naturally root for the new team because it's the obvious local team. Charleston would probably draw all of South Carolina at least and some of southern/southeastern Georgia, which is small-ish for an NFL franchise but not unworkably so, and it would leave North Carolina as a solid, larger market for the Panthers. Putting a team in Raleigh would just create weird internecine divisions in the natural Panthers market, with a real risk that everybody would just remain a Panthers fan if the expansion team sucks; plus, the Panthers would never, ever approve it.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

rjmccall posted:

The markets for teams are not just the cities they're named after. My assumption is that the NFL is interested in teams having a large population of people who will naturally root for the new team because it's the obvious local team. Charleston would probably draw all of South Carolina at least and some of southern/southeastern Georgia, which is small-ish for an NFL franchise but not unworkably so, and it would leave North Carolina as a solid, larger market for the Panthers. Putting a team in Raleigh would just create weird internecine divisions in the natural Panthers market, with a real risk that everybody would just remain a Panthers fan if the expansion team sucks; plus, the Panthers would never, ever approve it.

People in eastern NC are JUST starting to like the Panthers again because Cam is so awesome. A Raleigh team would be awful

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Metro population of 1.7 million

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

The city, yes, the metro is like 1.8 million. Metro matters more than city. Fairfax, VA isn't even close to largest city in Virginia but Fairfax County has three times the population of the second most populous county. It's also twice as big as DC itself (DC's like 650,000). DC's a great example. More than half of DC's metro population isn't even in its side of the river. DC metro's just under 6 million and 3 million of them are in Northern Virginia.

rjmccall posted:

Well you see no one outside of Virginia has ever heard of Hampton Roads. You go to, like, Chicago and say things like Hampton Roads and the Northern Neck and people got no idea what you're talking about.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You could say Norfolk, after the only significant city center.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rjmccall posted:

You could say Norfolk, after the only significant city center.

The Newport News Raiders is pretty thematically fitting

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grittybeard posted:

The NFL(and more especially, the NBA or NHL) needs to get over that perception and the one that a pro team would be more susceptible to gambling scandals, it would be the exact opposite, actually. Vegas' population was around 2 million when I lived there. It would have no problem supporting a basketball/hockey team, if not football.

Chilichimp posted:

Haha, yeah...

Wait, do you think the Arizona Cardinals are a baseball team?

The Arizona Cactii would be awesome and their mascot would be loving amazing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

poo poo. Well I'm embarrassed! Yeah Arizona has a team, duh.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

The Newport News Raiders is pretty thematically fitting

Tidewater Ironclads would sound awesome and have lots of logo options, but is way too...well obscure isn't the right word. People just don't know what an ironclad was.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

Tidewater Ironclads would sound awesome and have lots of logo options, but is way too...well obscure isn't the right word. People just don't know what an ironclad was.

Well, not all of us have seen them built in person.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sash! posted:

You take a boat, you throw some metal on that poo poo, unsinkable civil war vessel, and when two meet up it's kind of like that Bama-LSU game

swickles posted:

Well, not all of us have seen them built in person.

Det is old, Sash is boring, please get your TFF lore straight or Randy Rand will replace you as TFF doctor-in-residence

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It's an up-armored steam boat, basically.

edit:

It was also a pretty loving rad movie.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grittybeard posted:

The Las Vegas Raiders. :getin:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chokes McGee posted:

The Las Vegas Raiders. :getin:

Having the Raiders that far away from any body of water feels wrong, like having the Lakers in LA.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Las Vegas is right next to a large body of water.

But you're right, it should be the LA Raiders and the Las Vegas Lakers.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Could any other cities besides New York have a second football team?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Chicago has the population, but they really, really like the one they already have

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

Las Vegas is right next to a large body of water.

But you're right, it should be the LA Raiders and the Las Vegas Lakers.

Huh, well what do you know. I guess I should have said they need to be near the ocean.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Doesn't the LA metroplex have over 20 million people? Also you could put 4 teams in London and they can be their own division if population is what you care about.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Taken as a whole, the San Francisco Bay Area is smaller (populationwise) than the New York metro area, and it supports two teams. Sort of. I mean, that's what this thread is about, how we sort of support two teams but Oakland can't manage to accomplish things so maybe we actually don't.

The LA metro area could support two, I'd think. Maybe Chicago?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You could put a second team in Pittsburgh, call them the Other Steelers, and have exactly the same uniforms except with the logo on the left side of the helmet. It would take about four weeks for there to be fights in the streets over which Steelers was better.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Bring back the Steagles. 4 home games at the Linc, 4 at Heinz.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

You start putting teams in Toronto and Montreal and Vancouver and the CFL would wither and die. And then I would start my 3 down letter bomb campaign and the streets would run rouge for a single point.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Elephanthead posted:

Doesn't the LA metroplex have over 20 million people? Also you could put 4 teams in London and they can be their own division if population is what you care about.

Ooh, have two in London, one in Paris, and one in the great football loving nation of Spain.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Green Bay Wisconsin

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Stickarts posted:

You start putting teams in Toronto and Montreal and Vancouver and the CFL would wither and die. And then I would start my 3 down letter bomb campaign and the streets would run rouge for a single point.

If it were possible, I'd love to see the CFL be absorbed by the NFL just because it would be cool to see that happen.

But at the same time, the Grey Cup is pretty badass.

I think BC, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec could probably do well fan support wise for the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

Teams who started out when the NFL was the employees at the local meat packing factory battling the guys from the steel mill down the road do not count.

Not only that, but they also have Milwaukee designated as a primary market, played 2-3 home games there for 60 years, and its only 2 Hrs away, which compared to some places in California is nothing.

• Locked thread