Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

Isn't there some law about advertising during shows in the US? Which is why you don't see stuff like that or why even though Jem was super popular it instead made Barbie a lot of money?

Yeah, a station got into trouble because an ad for Pokemon waffles was played during the show itself. It turns the whole program into a commercial, legally.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's okay to not like some things about your karate children show costume designs.

There are definitely a lot of costumes I like, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
gently caress you for not liking MagiRed and MagiYellow!!!! Stupid bitch

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Twistys Rapture posted:

Yeah, how could you not like this guy:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Twistys Rapture posted:

I do not like wizards, witches, magi, or sorcerers in any form. Magic is for druggies and losers. I only enjoy strong muscular punchmen like G*d intended.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 6, 2014

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I do not like wizards, witches, magi, or sorcerers in any form. Magic is for druggies and losers. I only enjoy strong muscular punchmen like G*d intended.

Please, God is the enemy of Karate Dragonbugmen, and in fact humanity itself.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
But Karate bugmen are people who take the power of evil and use it to protect the world.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Elfgames posted:

But Karate bugmen are people who take the power of evil and use it to protect the world.

This is my hope for Drive. Like there's some sort of Road Shocker that kidnaps people and turns them into racing robot karate cyborg bugmen and the hero's sense of justice causes him to turn on his creators. And there's a shadow robot karate cyborg bugman for him to clash against.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Elfgames posted:

The only series I can think of where this doesn't hold true are Kabuto, Fourze, and I suppose Hibiki if you assume the Oni aren't related to the villains (and who knows if they were supposed to be in the original plot).

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only series I can think of where this doesn't hold true are Kabuto, Fourze, and I suppose Hibiki if you assume the Oni aren't related to the villains (and who knows if they were supposed to be in the original plot).

Kabuto's Zectors were created by the baddies though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potsticker posted:

This is my hope for Drive. Like there's some sort of Road Shocker that kidnaps people and turns them into racing robot karate cyborg bugmen and the hero's sense of justice causes him to turn on his creators. And there's a shadow robot karate cyborg bugman for him to clash against.

I'd honestly like to see them do a cyborg Rider again for old times sake, if only to see how they would work with it in a more modern setting.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Has it ever been said what the original intended ending for Hibiki was supposed to be?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 6, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Super-1 wasn't created by villains to my knowledge, I thought he was a volunteer for a space program using cyborgs.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Den-O system wasn't made by baddies ether, the Imagin just have a preference for certain form that already existed in the belt.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

There's always a connection. In Den-O the imagin were the main 'weapons' whilst also being the villains. I don't recall all of Fourze's details but weren't they linked through the switch system/cosmic energy? I think modern Kamen Rider's usually about using the enemy's power against them rather being literally created by them.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Decade was the badguy in his own show by this metric. Sounds about right.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

DiscoJ posted:

There's always a connection. In Den-O the imagin were the main 'weapons' whilst also being the villains. I don't recall all of Fourze's details but weren't they linked through the switch system/cosmic energy? I think modern Kamen Rider's usually about using the enemy's power against them rather being literally created by them.

Yeah, Fourze and the Zodiacs both used cosmic energy powered switches. Kengo would 'refine' the switches before they were used, but the Zodiacs would use them 'raw'.

Still, this goes to show that the only pure 'good' Kamen Rider is Super-1. Someone should totally translate his series now so we can compare.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
W: Memories were created by Museum.
OOO: All the bad guys were literally Medals, and Eiji became a Greeed.
Fourze: Both the Zodiarts Switches and the Astroswitches were engineered from the Core Switch
Wizard: Magic powers come from Phantoms in every case.
Gaim: Lock Seeds are from Helheim, and are consumed by Invess to evolve. Kouta is probably becoming an Overlord as well.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The original Kamen Rider is just a rogue monster of the week, and that's pretty cool. Kind of related, I read that a lot of Kamen Rider's start with a spider monster and then have a bat monster, but in this case Kiva is the bat monster.

I finished the first episode of Kiva just now, and I like it so far. It's weird though, how the girls were played up as strong fighters but never accomplished anything. Granted, the second time was because of interference by who I assume is Wataru's dad, but narratively it's still accomplishing nothing.

The cathedral dragon looked like something from a cartoonier Warhammer Fantasy. That's awesome.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 6, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Don't expect Megumi or Yuri to really do anything on their own, you'll be disappointed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Justin_Brett posted:

Don't expect Megumi or Yuri to really do anything on their own, you'll be disappointed.

Yeah, I thought so. How have they even kept it up? I'm about to start episode four and it seems like they haven't ever killed a single Fangire. In fact, were those Fangire just hiding and not killing anyone the entire time until 2008?

I still enjoy it up to this point, it's just a bit confusing.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

WickedHate posted:

In fact, were those Fangire just hiding and not killing anyone the entire time until 2008?

Basically yes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That is unsatisfying and I expect better from my vampire violin karate bugman show.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Kabuto's Zectors were created by the baddies though.

I honestly don't remember this, but it's been years since I watched Kabuto.

Larryb posted:

Has it ever been said what the original intended ending for Hibiki was supposed to be?

I think the only thing that's known for sure is Asumu would have become the next Hibiki.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Yeah, Fourze and the Zodiacs both used cosmic energy powered switches. Kengo would 'refine' the switches before they were used, but the Zodiacs would use them 'raw'.

Still, this goes to show that the only pure 'good' Kamen Rider is Super-1. Someone should totally translate his series now so we can compare.

Amazon got his power from the ancient amulet rather than the villains. He didn't do good so much as violently kill the gently caress out of monsters, though.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
And, since it's where this conversation started, Agito got his power from god's identical twin brother. The villain faction exists solely to exterminate people with the power, rather than the power being from the villain faction being turned back on it.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

WickedHate posted:

That is unsatisfying and I expect better from my vampire violin karate bugman show.
When I watched Kiva all the way to the end that was basically my reaction to the entire series. Plot threads are picked up and then dropped when the series decides to go into another direction entirely. For instance, whatever happened to the Saga henshin device? "Eh, series is going in different direction and it's gone now, whatever :rolleyes:."

On a positive note, Kiva has far and away my favorite suit and monster designs of any Kamen Rider series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The sheer coolness of the suit is definitely one of the things that made me decide to not skip it and go straight to Gaim.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

I would recommend watching Double/W or OOO next as your second series since they have the same formula as Kiva while Gaim is a very different animal but is also really good so far.

I'm curious WickedHate, how far into Kiva are you?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chromius posted:

I'm curious WickedHate, how far into Kiva are you?

On episode eleven now. Oomura's suicide by Kamen Rider was sad, but on the other hand, Keisuke turning an ammo clip into a blade is badass.

The stuff in the past is really starting to pick up with the conflict between Otoya and Jiro.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Then without spoiling anything, I just have to say you're in for a fun ride if you can make it all the way to the end of the show.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yay! Sounds great!

I can't imagine it getting too bad, but the last time I had unshakable confidence in a series...didn't turn out too well, to say the least.

It's somewhat reassuring though, knowing no series will be as bad as Masked Rider. That's the all time low. Maybe I should start watching an episode of it before each of Kiva so that no matter what happens it'll look amazing in comparison.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I honestly don't remember this, but it's been years since I watched Kabuto.

I think the only thing that's known for sure is Asumu would have become the next Hibiki.

Though to its credit that's pretty much what they did in the Hibiki crossover in Decade.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Honestly I didn't mind that in Hibiki's regular ending, Asumu didn't become Hibiki's successor. I know it bugs some people but I thought the message that you don't need to be a superhero to do good in the world was a nice one. Pretty much everything else about Hibiki's ending was really disappointing though. It still isn't enough to keep it from being my favorite Rider series, but man do I wish that I lived in the alternate universe where Hibiki didn't change directors.

So I finally gave up on either of the Toys R Us near me having the Legacy Dragonzord, since a couple of stops to them within the past month has yielded no results. In fact they just seem kinda lackluster on Power Rangers toys in general. They both pretty much only had a couple of the Legendary Megazords from Super Megaforce, and a couple of the additional Zords (Mystic Force Dragon and Wild Force Lion). One had three of the Japanese Gosei Great, but I never really was big on Goseiger's toys. I decided to just order it off Amazon, and I figured while I was there I'd pick up the Octozord I never could find. Then I noticed they were having a deal where I could get the Octozord and Clawzord together, and I mean I already have one Clawzord but might as well get a second so I can keep the one I already have combined with the Samurai Megazord.

Ended up spending 35 dollars more than I originally wanted. That's why I wanted to avoid Amazon in the first place. At least I'll get some sweet stuff out of it.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Apparently showa v. hesei is out now, wonder who's going to sub it, Aesir or Over-Time?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just gonna toot my own horn one more time, if anyone is going to Motaku in Kansas City this weekend, I'm hosting a Power Rangers/Sentai fan panel Saturday at 5pm. Love to see a goon or two there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm going to assume that when a Fangire is killed, it retcons time so that the victims were never bit.

Because otherwise they aren't very good at the rescuing aspect of super heroics.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

[Tsukasa appears being stupid as hell]

Me: Oh poo poo

Edit: he somehow became even worse at acting

Double edit: drat I missed Faiz

Saint Twisty fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 9, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Finished Kiva!

Gosh, even a baby was of more use in a fight then one of the girls.

I don't really like what happened with Yuri, but the rest of the show was pretty fun and enjoyable. The finale was a blast.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

My favorite part of the finale was how for no good reason there's time travel now.

I wished that Kiva and Ixa had used the other forms/weapons more and what happened with Yuri was really disappointing.

Wataru just isn't very good at rescuing people but since the show has a horror theme I think the high body count at least makes sense.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

WickedHate posted:

Finished Kiva!

Gosh, even a baby was of more use in a fight then one of the girls.

I don't really like what happened with Yuri, but the rest of the show was pretty fun and enjoyable. The finale was a blast.
What did you think of Shikuza being the unwitting instigator of Mio becoming Queen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Chromius posted:

My favorite part of the finale was how for no good reason there's time travel now.

I wished that Kiva and Ixa had used the other forms/weapons more and what happened with Yuri was really disappointing.

Wataru just isn't very good at rescuing people but since the show has a horror theme I think the high body count at least makes sense.

Time travel has ruined at least 3 rider shows for me

• Locked thread