Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
good players are in the pilots/drivers seat and getting kills, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Which also fucks with things because "aggression" is defined by the skill calculation as "kills per minute", which means your skill goes up way faster in modes like Rush because the action is so much more concentrated. Whenever I play a bunch of Rush my skill shoots up into the high 400s, and then it immediately drops as soon as I go play some other mode.

But really, it's impossible to make any kind of balancing scheme in a team game because there's so many ways you can be helpful to your team that wouldn't necessarily be reflected in your stats. If you spend an entire game being a repair bitch for a scout chopper pilot that goes 50-0, does it make you a "bad" player since you didn't get any kills, or does it make you a "good" teammate since you were helping out the pilot all game? If by some bad luck you get a dozen 50-point assists but end up 0-12, does that make you a "bad" player even though you helped a bunch of your teammates get kills? There's just way too much poo poo going on even before you have to make subjective judgments.

Considering I could probably teach my 2 year old how to play full-time scout repair bitch, it probably doesn't make you a "skillful" player. But sometimes that's how I like playing Battlefield. The only stat I really care about is win rate. I like to win, and I don't like to lose. And if that's what our team needs most right now to win, I'm on it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Beelzebozo posted:

The only stat I really care about is win rate. I like to win, and I don't like to lose. And if that's what our team needs most right now to win, I'm on it.

Exactly. That's why I rarely get cap points. Once our team is taking a flag, I move on to put pressure on another. Or why if I capture an enemy vehicle, I'll play conservatively with it, closer to our spawn. My denying them one of their tanks is a lot more helpful than my going out and taking flags.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Beelzebozo posted:

Considering I could probably teach my 2 year old how to play full-time scout repair bitch, it probably doesn't make you a "skillful" player. But sometimes that's how I like playing Battlefield. The only stat I really care about is win rate. I like to win, and I don't like to lose. And if that's what our team needs most right now to win, I'm on it.
But that's my whole point. I mean yeah, there's a reason repair bitches are called repair bitches, but does it make them a "bad" player if it ends up helping their team win? Or to turn things the other way, what if you happen to be that scout chopper pilot going 50-0 due to your repair bitches, but your team loses? Are you a "bad" player because you didn't do enough to help your team win? How do you even judge that? You can't really.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

But that's my whole point. I mean yeah, there's a reason repair bitches are called repair bitches, but does it make them a "bad" player if it ends up helping their team win? Or to turn things the other way, what if you happen to be that scout chopper pilot going 50-0 due to your repair bitches, but your team loses? Are you a "bad" player because you didn't do enough to help your team win? How do you even judge that? You can't really.

You have moved the goal posts here from talking about how a player statistic called "skill" is calculated to being a "good" or "bad" player.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Beelzebozo posted:

You have moved the goal posts here from talking about how a player statistic called "skill" is calculated to being a "good" or "bad" player.

Not really? My whole point since last night has been that you can't balance teams in any decent way because it's impossible to measure who is "good" and "bad".

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's not really anyone's fault; when you have 32-man teams, drop-in/drop-out, and four ways players can be considered to be "together" (clan, platoon, squad, console party), it's basically impossible to "balance" the teams in a way that doesn't result in people getting split up. Frankly I'd much rather take a guarantee that you'll stick with your group between rounds (hint hint, DICE) over some harebrained team-balancing scheme that will never work.

Besides, what would you even balance the teams on? SPM? K/D? Objectives taken? A "skill" rating that makes no goddamned sense? There's way too many factors to make any sort of fair balancing scheme.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hooray, I have internet again!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

10 Beers posted:

Hooray, I have internet again!

Sorry man, none of us play Battlefield anymore.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Chemmy posted:

That guy has a 650spm. That's on par with the kids who play with us and would literally tell you they suck.

jbirk got an Xbone yesterday and has about a 600spm and he hasn't played all of the maps yet.

edit: loving Losonti has a 710spm.

Well gently caress you buddy :mad:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

losonti tokash posted:

Well gently caress you buddy :mad:

Oh come on I love you.

I'm saying you're legit better than that guy and you wouldn't flip out about being so good that no one could possibly beat you.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

gently caress numbers I gave up on that poo poo after Calculus in high school. Just shoot the mans.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Or in your case don't shoot the mans, but we love you Beastie.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

bringer posted:

It's like any other statistics system - there will be outliers and good days vs bad ones, but after a couple hundred hours it's likely that the averages hold true. Certain stats are more game-able than others (look at the two longest headshots, it's pretty clear that they traded those) and you can boost your win/loss into the stratosphere if you don't mind taking a hit on your finish percentage, but there are a few stats that when take together give you a very good idea of overall ability.

Score per minute is only one piece of the puzzle, same with skill or even kill/death.

Just to defend matt & Brat: that headshot distance is from carrier to carrier on Paracel. They didn't trade. They shot enemy wookies.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Shut up about numbers and post more hatemail.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Playstation 1.13 patch notes:

DICE posted:

Fix for an issue where Battle Pickups couldn’t be picked up by players
Fix for an issue where players would spawn beneath the terrain
Chain Link default time limit changed to 20 minutes
Various backend related fixes

Haven't they "fixed" the battle pickups before? I can't wait to try picking up a USAS 10 times.

E:VVVV
I believe it, I have a clip somewhere of me trying about 30 times to hang onto the MGL.

Auxiliary Treats fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 5, 2014

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Snackpack Backpack posted:

Haven't they "fixed" the battle pickups before? I can't wait to try picking up a USAS 10 times.

If dice fixes something on a patch, it only comes back worse. You'll have to pick up the guns 50 times now instead.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I always spawn under the map. I hope that's fixed for real.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snackpack Backpack posted:

Sweet maybe Chain link will actually be worth playing now.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Shut up about numbers and post more hatemail.

Seriously, it's as bad as the PC thread.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Chalupa Joe posted:

:smug::smugdog::smuggo:

PC gaming? More like PC GAYMING amirite?!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
My SPM is 211. :downs:
The vast majority of my points come from me hiding in a corner and shooting helicopters down with my stinger missile launcher, because it's easy. I'm not very good at this game
I tried giving out ammo and health packs but the game seems way more stingy with giving you points for them now compared to BC2 and BF3.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My SPM is 211. :downs:
The vast majority of my points come from me hiding in a corner and shooting helicopters down with my stinger missile launcher, because it's easy. I'm not very good at this game

I think you're playing correctly.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

keyboard vomit posted:

I think you're playing correctly.

Allahu ackbar

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So you know all those buildings that you should be able to get up in Pearl Market and Gardens, you can if you have someone jump from a commanders plane which I found out when a whole squad ending up there today.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

tehinternet posted:

PC gaming? More like PC GAYMING amirite?!

I concur.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
In one game of floodzone

Died from jumping off a jetski and being run over by it (x2)
Died from APS failing to block TOW missile (no laser) (x2)
LAV loses half health, flips upside down when I drive it into an empty rhib boat(x1)

I'm missing a few, but man that was rage inspiring. Sorry Beastie/Nick

the next game made up for it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm the king of getting run over by my own vehicles this is bullshit HML I won't give this title up without a fight.

thenicko33
Sep 2, 2011

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

In one game of floodzone

Died from jumping off a jetski and being run over by it (x2)
Died from APS failing to block TOW missile (no laser) (x2)
LAV loses half health, flips upside down when I drive it into an empty rhib boat(x1)

I'm missing a few, but man that was rage inspiring. Sorry Beastie/Nick

the next game made up for it.

I didn't even get to hear any rage because I was too busy lagging in and out that round. Shame, I really wanted to poo poo on that garbo clan that ran tow/citv lav.

Honestly, I'm really considering bringing the server back just because I don't want to play crap like Shanghai, Hainan, or Flood Zone. Even loving Locker is fun now that we run mortar pain squads on the outside, but those three maps? Holy poo poo are they bad and boring.

Hell, even loving Zavod (Someguy and Fastest can back me up on how bad that map is on 360) is fun since I can farm the center points with the mbt or we can run LAV pain-train squads on the outside lanes.

thenicko33 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 6, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chalupa Joe posted:

I invited you a couple times to BF3, pay attention to your messages nerd.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

loving finally unlocked the UCAV airburst. Time to blow up some wookies :madmax:

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Zavod was excellent on the 360, you mad man.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

This was my best multikill ever. Sorry for the blurry pic flash was causing my camera not to focus properly.

4x flashbang kills

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

E: low effort troll, not gonna bother

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 6, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Big Floppy posted:

This was my best multikill ever. Sorry for the blurry pic flash was causing my camera not to focus properly.

4x flashbang kills

how the gently caress?

I....

I must know.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Awesome man, well done. I assume they were hit with incedi and you finished them off with the flashbang? (Or C4 flashbang?)

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Big Floppy posted:

4x flashbang kills

Why not use the PS4 picture function? Or were you recording the game on your phone?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
P90 is getting buffed. Deagle is getting nerfed

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes
Can SLAMS and regular AT mines be detonated with flashbangs?

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Golgozor posted:

Can SLAMS and regular AT mines be detonated with flashbangs?

Yes, though generally it's easier if they're on the floor, not attached to the vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I know it's a long shot, but any XBros gonna be on around 1:15EST?

• Locked thread