Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know if the Palestinians have an ally of any significant influence or size in Israeli society. Even basic empathy and sympathy for their suffering is on the decline, never mind any notable movements or parties advocating on their behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

loquacius posted:

Also, a response to the post that spawned that entire side-conversation:

Israel began as, essentially, a nation of refugees. Somewhere out there, in some alternate dimension, the first Israelis took a very different lesson from their difficult past and forged Israel into a safe haven for all refugees and all outcasts, instead of turning to extreme nationalism and letting it spiral out of control until they ended up creating an entire new ethnic group of persecuted refugees like they did in the real world. That other dimension is a happier one than ours for at least two reasons. Unfortunately the paranoid nationalist nightmare is what we ended up with. :smith:

That's always been the saddest part for me. In the aftermath of the Holocaust you can see how the creation of Israel would have seemed like a beacon of hope. I still think it's creation was a good thing. One of the reasons I've always been leary of the BDS campaign is because when I talked to people at university running it there, they often say things that basically seem to suggest Israel should be disassembled and Palestine should go back to pre-1948 existence (obviously ignoring all the huge problems with that). Seeing how much history repeats itself, or at least rhymes in this case, is really heart-breaking.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Aren't the Orthodox Jews generally opposed to Zionism in its current form? One of my favorite pictures here:

Orthodox and Palestinian bros about to chuck some rocks at some Zionist jerks.
That is seriously awesome as all hell.:black101::allears:

Dolash posted:

I don't know if the Palestinians have an ally of any significant influence or size in Israeli society. Even basic empathy and sympathy for their suffering is on the decline, never mind any notable movements or parties advocating on their behalf.
I'm saddened to hear they don't have many numbers or much power. Hey, maybe we can redirect some of that US-Israeli aid money towards them instead.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 6, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dolash posted:

I'm gonna use the phrase "Bush-era Islamophobia" for the second time in four posts and say that the reason for this is that Israel has effectively been living under the Bush administration for a long, long time. Thanks to the rules of their parliamentary system, every PM they've had since maybe Barak (and maybe since Rabin) has been a rough Bush-equivalent. Imagine like twenty years under President Dick Cheney. We'd probably be even worse.

Little Blackfly posted:

That's always been the saddest part for me. In the aftermath of the Holocaust you can see how the creation of Israel would have seemed like a beacon of hope. I still think it's creation was a good thing. One of the reasons I've always been leary of the BDS campaign is because when I talked to people at university running it there, they often say things that basically seem to suggest Israel should be disassembled and Palestine should go back to pre-1948 existence (obviously ignoring all the huge problems with that). Seeing how much history repeats itself, or at least rhymes in this case, is really heart-breaking.

It's unquestionably a good thing that a Jewish state exists (where I define "the Jews" as an ethnic umbrella group / nation rather than as a religion), but yeah the one we ended up with kinda sucks. It needs a non-right-wing government which will stop force-feeding everyone nationalist Kool-Aid for at least a little while, then it needs a proper two-state solution, then it needs a solid constitution aimed at protecting the rights of its ethnic minorities (because right now they kinda don't have many). It does not need to be driven into the sea.

fade5 posted:

That is seriously awesome as all hell.:black101::allears:

I'm saddened to hear they don't have many numbers or much power. Hey, maybe we can redirect some of that US-Israel money towards them.:getin:

This post is LF as gently caress.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

loquacius posted:

This post is LF as gently caress.
Good.:getin:

Serious post: after following the slaughter for the last month (we're up to at least 1,888 Palestinians dead, more than 9000 wounded, and at least 164 Israelis killed (which also sucks because death is death no matter who you are)), I'm a little burned out on I/P, so seeing any sort of Israeli/Palestinian unity is kinda cool, no matter what it is. And seriously, that is awesome as hell.:black101:

E:
This Kirschen may also have contributed to my current mood. If there's a "worst I/P" in the Gay Abortions this year (and there should be) I'm nominating this one. Or just Kirschen in general.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 6, 2014

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Just make it the loving Kirschen Award.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Worst Cartoonist Award should be renamed the Dry Boner in his honor.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Rorus Raz posted:

Worst Cartoonist Award should be renamed the Dry Boner in his honor.

The "LSW (Long Suffering Wife) Award For Putting Up With This Horseshit".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

He used four fingers when he only needed one.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Reminder that for years, Kirschen by his own admission was financed by a single wealthy Zionist in the US.

Like, that's how useless you can be and still get covered in money.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Jedit posted:

No, it's actually pretty simple. Israeli Jews believe that they are God's chosen people and that God granted the lands of Israel to them. They therefore can commit any atrocity in order to control said lands or drive out anyone else who dares live there or say the land does not belong to Israel, because those people are defying God.
Otherwise known as "most of the Old Testament".

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think all it really needed was the first panel.

edit: but with some of the melting from the second panel, I guess.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

owns

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Woman is fat. Also, woman is fat.

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012

Sir Rolo posted:

Woman is fat. Also, woman is fat.

That car must have some sentient rust or something, it's never in the same place.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

StarPilot87 posted:

That car must have some sentient rust or something, it's never in the same place.

So that's why she's always working on it, rust-monsters are the loving worst and have to be constantly appeased or they eat you

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"I can see Russia from my house!"

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
I... what? :confused: Is this a reference to something I'm unaware of? I'm really struggling trying to figure out what this is about.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Why would a Federal agency enforce state regulations?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Jaunts posted:

I... what? :confused: Is this a reference to something I'm unaware of? I'm really struggling trying to figure out what this is about.
Yeah. Is this a cartoon against federal regulation of food and also against sex education at the same time?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 6, 2014

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Jaunts posted:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/is-the-government-waging-war-on-bake-sales-152746335.html

quote:

Georgia State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge and the Georgia State Board of Education decided that each of the state's 2,500 schools could hold 30 fundraisers per year that are food-related and that do not meet the nutrition standards established by federal law. Tennessee, for example, will allow bake sales but for only 30 days per school year. Idaho will limit the number of bake sales to 10 school days, and Illinois will go one step further, knocking the number of bake sale days to nine from 36. Yet some 32 states are choosing to follow the guidelines and will offer low-fat, less salty snacks to students, according to the School Nutrition Association.

Those poor put-upon Georgian schools will only get to hold 30 bake sale fundraisers in a school year!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
gently caress this thread because I was just drinking Shiner Bock, eating brisket, and overlooking the Alamo when the knowledge of Chris Muir's existence reared it's ugly head and intruded on my Tex-out. I can never unsee the things I have seen here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Thermos H Christ posted:

gently caress this thread because I was just drinking Shiner Bock, eating brisket, and overlooking the Alamo when the knowledge of Chris Muir's existence reared it's ugly head and intruded on my Tex-out. I can never unsee the things I have seen here.

Recently I was talking to my girlfriend about politics while chopping vegetables when I had a sudden moment of introspective horror.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hahahahahahaha

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Oh so they're trying a work around to keep kids from slinging unhealthy poo poo everyday on the side to make a buck while still allowing clubs and school groups to fundraise. So what the schools I attended before any of these federal regulations hit did. And like my schools they give out free condoms, probably one of the reasons why you can count the high school pregnancies in my year on one hand. Thanks Lester, good to know that some schools are still trying to look out for the physical wellbeing of their students.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

cafel posted:

Oh so they're trying a work around to keep kids from slinging unhealthy poo poo everyday on the side to make a buck while still allowing clubs and school groups to fundraise. So what the schools I attended before any of these federal regulations hit did. And like my schools they give out free condoms, probably one of the reasons why you can count the high school pregnancies in my year on one hand. Thanks Lester, good to know that some schools are still trying to look out for the physical wellbeing of their students.

:stare:

The teenage pregnancy rate in the USA is so high that multiple pregnancies in one grade at one high school is considered below-average?

edit: Apparently it's two and a half times higher than in Canada.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The teenage pregnancy rate in the USA is so high that multiple pregnancies in one grade at one high school is considered below-average?

It's the highest in the developed world! USA #1.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The first high school I went to (before transferring out of that poo poo hole after 2 weeks) had a day care on-site for their students' children.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Must've been a pretty drat nice poo poo hole if they could afford that.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Children who do not understand baking should not be allowed to poison their public for profits. A Good You Know The Rest.

e: It took me several minutes it was Bears instead of Beans. The tiny ears did not help.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Well, my class was kind big, about 850 kids and we had maybe 4 or 5 pregnancies in four years, so it's small percentage. But yeah, teen pregnancy, especially in poorer or more rural areas, is pretty loving common and a healthy part of the blame lies with folks like Tinsley complaining about any solution to the problem that isn't 'hope teens don't find out what sex is'.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I had a class of about 80, there were 3 girls who graduated with kids. I think a few dropped out to have kids as well. Abstinence only education, of course. Never let your kids grow up in the Midwest.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Wanamingo posted:

Must've been a pretty drat nice poo poo hole if they could afford that.

Oh trust me, it was in lieu of other services. Among other things, my Health teacher tried to convince us that when he was working his way through college as a janitor (16 hour days combined) that he would eat only a loaf of bread with a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly a month. And he wasn't a crazy old man, he was probably 40. What a terrible institution.

I don't have a ton of examples since it was only two weeks, but it has a reputation for being a poo poo pit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Everything about this is amazing but I love the Presidential Seal.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Zed's children, last seen 7/11:

Supposedly sent to Argentina, but NOT seen when Jan and Damon arrive:

—nor when they accost horrible ugly mooch crone:

—nor when they talk about Obama's America.

If you have seen these children, or have any information as to their whereabouts, contact local authorities immediately.

"KIKO OWENS" AGE:6[approx] HAIR:RED/BRN EYES:BRN
"MARI OWENS" AGE:6[approx] HAIR:DK.BRN EYES:BRN

fetch stick, stupid

• Locked thread