Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Highest Cactus posted:

I forgot how pants-on-head retarded Amon went for that scene. For a guy wanting to hide his waterbending, that's the worst way to save himself.

Dude just got schooled and is drowning. He's probably not thinking about keeping his identity hidden at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Highest Cactus posted:

I forgot how pants-on-head retarded Amon went for that scene. For a guy wanting to hide his waterbending, that's the worst way to save himself.

The implication was supposed to be that Amon was knocked unconscious and that when he woke up drowning, his reflexes kicked in and he bended himself to safety instinctively. It's the exact same thing Aang did in episode two of AtLA when he was knocked off Zuko's ship, water tornado and all.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I'd hope one day the creators would give us an official time line with a brief bio of each avatar. I'd imagine out of all of them there had to have been one or two that abused their power, or were just not good.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

I'd hope one day the creators would give us an official time line with a brief bio of each avatar. I'd imagine out of all of them there had to have been one or two that abused their power, or were just not good.

Well what else are you supposed to do if you're an Avatar born into a time of relative peace and understanding? You're supposed to bring on the balance, after all. :v:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

fount of knowledge posted:

Well what else are you supposed to do if you're an Avatar born into a time of relative peace and understanding? You're supposed to bring on the balance, after all. :v:

I always figured in times of peace most of them did something liked helped with farming or something. Firebend to clear the fields, earth to plow, air to spread the seeds, water to irrigate. That, leading negotiations, and calming/protecting the great spirits that remained.

but yeah, knowing what most of them did would be cool

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

The implication was supposed to be that Amon was knocked unconscious and that when he woke up drowning, his reflexes kicked in and he bended himself to safety instinctively. It's the exact same thing Aang did in episode two of AtLA when he was knocked off Zuko's ship, water tornado and all.

I got that and I don't even remember that scene. Ah, callbacks.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

You go surfing, obviously. That's what Kuruk did.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

You go surfing, obviously. That's what Kuruk did.

Yeah, but he was slacking, he should have been taking out the evil spirit that steals peoples' faces.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Vintimus Prime posted:

As it is, they can go anywhere and do anything with the hundreds of past avatars at their disposal; probably best not to throw that kind of creative freedom away with canonic (canonical?) trading cards establishing characters, places and events they'd be forced to follow and integrate on any future Avatar project.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Highest Cactus posted:

i get what they're trying to do, but it would've been more interesting if korra avatar stated to compel his bending or something i dunno.

the rest of that scene is cock solid, especially the marionette twisting blood bending. wish there had been more of that.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

FamDav posted:

i get what they're trying to do, but it would've been more interesting if korra avatar stated to compel his bending or something i dunno.

the rest of that scene is cock solid, especially the marionette twisting blood bending. wish there had been more of that.

Infinite cock solid marionette bending comin' up:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Really, the greatest disappointment of S1's finale was not taking the opportunity to throw in Bloodbending Thriller at some point.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Mymla posted:

What thexerox said, basicly. It would be strange if everything did cater to my tastes, but it would also be pretty great!

Sounds like the premise of Avatar fan fiction. Dark, dark territory.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

That's why I always thought the Jedi were dipshits in the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

"He will bring balance to the Force!"
"Well, what's the current state of the Force?"
"Well, there's thousands of Jedi, and only two Sith."
"...are we sure we want that equation balanced?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

That's why I always thought the Jedi were dipshits in the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

"He will bring balance to the Force!"
"Well, what's the current state of the Force?"
"Well, there's thousands of Jedi, and only two Sith."
"...are we sure we want that equation balanced?"

Balance doesn't only mean "there are equal amounts." It is also possible for something to be unbalanced by having corrupted elements. That is in fact the way Star Wars uses it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Balance doesn't only mean "there are equal amounts." It is also possible for something to be unbalanced by having corrupted elements. That is in fact the way Star Wars uses it.

There was a comic where Mace argues with Yoda about exactly this. I thought it was kind of dumb, especially since he dumps out salt and pepper as a visual aid and Yoda isn't given any convincing argument to support the opposing position.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

The irony (semi intentional?) is that Luke brings balance to the Force in both ways - he physically destroys all of the Jedi & Sith, and he's also merged their techniques to remove the corruption of both.

(The corruption of the Sith being self evident and the corruption of the Jedi being the past Avatars style of "oh yeah you totally need to murder your enemy")

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Potsticker posted:

There was a comic where Mace argues with Yoda about exactly this. I thought it was kind of dumb, especially since he dumps out salt and pepper as a visual aid and Yoda isn't given any convincing argument to support the opposing position.

There's a lot of Star Wars EU stuff that clings desperately to the "maybe the Force is shades of grey?!" stuff because they want to write about Jedi who use force lightning and do morally questionable things, despite the fact this doesn't really fit with the setting as presented.

It's kind of the same problem that a lot of Avatar fanwankery seems to run into where the actual setting is really super optimistic. It's the kind of setting where redemption is possible, pacifism is a valid choice, and while it has a lot of cool abilities and amazing skills, the most powerful thing one can do is choose not to use those when the time is right. A "more mature" Avatar wouldn't be one where people vacuum bend their lungs out, it would be more spiritual and philosophical than it already is and, if anything, would probably have less kung-fu battles and more people discussing and arguing their philosophies.

A lot of lovely writers seem to fall for the trap of assuming that more mature means "more violent and more morally ambiguous" as opposed to actually fitting the tone of whatever they're trying to mature up.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

ImpAtom posted:

There's a lot of Star Wars EU stuff that clings desperately to the "maybe the Force is shades of grey?!" stuff because they want to write about Jedi who use force lightning and do morally questionable things, despite the fact this doesn't really fit with the setting as presented.

It's kind of the same problem that a lot of Avatar fanwankery seems to run into where the actual setting is really super optimistic. It's the kind of setting where redemption is possible, pacifism is a valid choice, and while it has a lot of cool abilities and amazing skills, the most powerful thing one can do is choose not to use those when the time is right. A "more mature" Avatar wouldn't be one where people vacuum bend their lungs out, it would be more spiritual and philosophical than it already is and, if anything, would probably have less kung-fu battles and more people discussing and arguing their philosophies.

A lot of lovely writers seem to fall for the trap of assuming that more mature means "more violent and more morally ambiguous" as opposed to actually fitting the tone of whatever they're trying to mature up.

I can see it now, the master airbenders sitting around for days discussing details about philosophies, ways of life and meditating on the future.. Air nomads sound like they should be a very scholarly nation..

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mature Avatar World: Set 70 years after the events of LoK, the new Avatar is the Secretary-General of the World Council. As the curtain draws on a new age, the Avatar is called upon to negotiate a trade dispute between the Earth Republic and the Democratic Republic of the Fire Nation, while skillfully making concessions concerning certain border provinces to draw in the Water Nations and the fledgling Air Republic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Mature Avatar World: Set 70 years after the events of LoK, the new Avatar is the Secretary-General of the World Council. As the curtain draws on a new age, the Avatar is called upon to negotiate a trade dispute between the Earth Republic and the Democratic Republic of the Fire Nation, while skillfully making concessions concerning certain border provinces to draw in the Water Nations and the fledgling Air Republic.

I'd watch it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

DrSunshine posted:

Political thriller with superpowers was 2 of the big movies of the summer, so yeah you could probably make it fly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Episode 6: In midst of the third week of round-table discussions, talks are at an impasse with both sides puffing hot air and grandstanding with no end to the debate in sight, when all of a sudden, an Equalist hacker group leaks diplomatic cables tying high-level cabinet members of both the Earth Republic and the Fire Nation to certain powerful corporate lobbyist groups. How will the Avatar face the upcoming press conference???

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

the Democratic Republic of the Fire Nation
Well, this sounds entirely trustworthy. What kind of Democratic Republic would have human rights abuses of any sort?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Avatar is gifted Truthbending in the zero hour!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

DrSunshine posted:

Unless LoK has a timeskip at the end the avatar would still likely be Korra, or a young kid if it were just 70 years from now, so maybe 140 years later? Either way I'd still watch this too, yeah.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The premise does not leave much space for people who can kick the ground so hard that can make rocks fly or making fireballs using sweet kung fu moves, would definitely not watch.

Am I the only person who enjoys the show as a western take on Wuxia?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Only the Avatar can master all four ideologies and bring balance to the government.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mymla posted:

Monarchy. Fascism. Communism. Democracy. Only the Avatar can master all four ideologies and bring balance to the government.

Fixed that for you.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I just wanna say that posts like this are why I want Korra to have a thread here.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

DrSunshine posted:

I'd watch the crap out of this.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd like to see a ten thousand year time skip to the next harmonic convergence and the scifi civilization that'll have to deal with that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Level Slide posted:

I'd like to see a ten thousand year time skip to the next harmonic convergence and the scifi civilization that'll have to deal with that.

I don't believe the setting would work as well in the modern day, and honestly LoK is probably pushing about as close as it can get, but a sci-fi Avatar? Yes, please.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Level Slide posted:

They already made Pacific Rim.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
uMMMmmm speaking of more violent forms of bending...

BIG SPOILER GIF posted on Nick's own website.

:stonk:

"Instead of offering her a breathe mint, Zaheer decides to get to the root of the Earth Queen's problem." r u SRS Nick.com

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BrianWilly posted:

uMMMmmm speaking of more violent forms of bending...

BIG SPOILER GIF posted on Nick's own website.

:stonk:

"Instead of offering her a breathe mint, Zaheer decides to get to the root of the Earth Queen's problem." r u SRS Nick.com

ahahahahahhahahhah they actually did it holy poo poo

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

ahahahahahhahahhah they actually did it holy poo poo

:wtc: Oh my god, Bryke&Mike, we were all joking about the GRIMDARK lungbending poo poo, we didn't mean for you to actually do it :psyduck:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DrSunshine posted:

:wtc: Oh my god, Bryke&Mike, we were all joking about the GRIMDARK lungbending poo poo, we didn't mean for you to actually do it :psyduck:

tvtropes won years ago, hence all the shipping bullshit in the first two books. Now it's metastasized, no longer mere slashfiction - it's fanwank given form.

nothing remains

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

DoctorWhat posted:

nothing remains

Beware that, when you stare into the Fandom, the Fandom stares back and then awkwardly tries to wink.

Though I am curious now, do Online shows have the same ratings/restrictions placed on them? I know this season is already done and I'm sure the majority of the work on Season 4 is already set in stone, but I'm wondering they are going to try to court an older crowd in due time. I prefer the Young Adult rating myself and I doubt Nick will let anything too graphic/adult go out with its logo plastered upon it, but who knows after Season 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

100% down with this

• Locked thread