Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

K, I gotta find a place I can pay/perform sexual favors for a fast connection Friday. It's the first Bengals preseason game Friday morning and I'm climbing a clocktower if I can't watch it.

I just bought tickets to their first home game of the season. :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

It was right on the Sichuan-Yunnan border though. I imagine if you were planning on bussing it there could be some serious delays. Those mountain roads have a lot of delays even without any quakes.

Thanks guys, good to know. Thankfully, I am planning on taking the train.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

tacoman165 posted:

I just bought tickets to their first home game of the season. :wink:

I'm finishing the ESL thing in December, just in time to go to Bengals v Broncos.

I always dramatically overestimate how easy it's gonna be to recognize a few key menu items in Mandarin. :negative:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

poo poo, if I wanted to visit zhunan shuhai in Yibin would the roads be damaged there?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm finishing the ESL thing in December, just in time to go to Bengals v Broncos.

I always dramatically overestimate how easy it's gonna be to recognize a few key menu items in Mandarin. :negative:

Have you forgotten how to point at random things and eat them? I am disappointed. :colbert:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Thanks guys, good to know. Thankfully, I am planning on taking the train.

Train should go through Panzhihua, which is fine. Lijiang is all the way to the west near Dali anyway. Dali owns, BTW, clear blue skies.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Hey I made another not-terrible remix of a terrible Chinese song. Enjoy, and force your chinese friends to listen!

https://soundcloud.com/insuffleupagus/feel-me-bro-90s-by

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Train should go through Panzhihua, which is fine. Lijiang is all the way to the west near Dali anyway. Dali owns, BTW, clear blue skies.

Cool, Dalhi's on my list of places to visit too.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Got my visa in the mail today, everything's a go! I'll be in Qingdao on Sunday. :woop:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
My (edit: mainlander) girlfriend was just refused her visa to visit Canada as a tourist with my family hosting. How hosed are we in the long run?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Impregnate her.

Then when you get to immigration, simply show the man your Chinese/Canadian child.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

How can he do that when he skipped out of China in violation of his contract and she's blacklisted from Canada? They're going to have to meet in Thailand or Jeju island or some place Chinese people can visit.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Duh, go to mexico and sneak into the US then keep going to Canada

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

MeramJert posted:

...some place Chinese people can visit.

Kosovo.

Although all of this is news to me: I thought all rich Chinese people were also Canadian. Is your girlfriend terribly poor Cecil?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't think poor people should be allowed to travel.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Also: Australians, Russians and Israelis.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Agreed.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Jeoh posted:

Also: Australians, Russians and Israelis.

Do invasions into neighbouring territory count as travel?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

simplefish posted:

Doubt they needed a visa, so, nope!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

simplefish posted:

Where the heck did Australia invade?!

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

MeramJert posted:

Where the heck did Australia invade?!

New York City

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

simplefish fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 6, 2014

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Short trips from Chengdu. Go.

Xian? I need Muslim food and old walls.
Chongqing, it's close.
Other places?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How long are you gonna be there? I enjoyed climbing Emeishan. Leshan was also cool. Jiuzhaigou (it'll be crowded though)? Chongqing is an obvious choice but I didn't spend any time there besides waiting for the train to Chengdu. Kunming is also pretty great but might be a bit far.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm going to zhunan shuhai national park. There are national parks all around Sichuan.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Have you forgotten how to point at random things and eat them? I am disappointed. :colbert:

A man can not live on random menu pointing alone.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

My (edit: mainlander) girlfriend was just refused her visa to visit Canada as a tourist with my family hosting. How hosed are we in the long run?

Did they state a reason for her denial? Did she somehow insinuate that she was going to be visiting a boyfriend while in Canada?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I tried to find a hotel in juizhaigou this month and I didn't find any openings.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

I tried to find a hotel in juizhaigou this month and I didn't find any openings.

I called them up and they had openings, but they said they just don't have rooms for overweight, gay nerds. Sorry.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Woodsy Owl posted:

Did they state a reason for her denial? Did she somehow insinuate that she was going to be visiting a boyfriend while in Canada?

She probably made the novice mistake of acting (probably honestly) like she liked Canada too much. Chinese people need to act cold and aloof to get visas anywhere.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MeramJert posted:

I called them up and they had openings

Could you let me know which hotel, and did you ask about rates?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Magna Kaser posted:

She probably made the novice mistake of acting (probably honestly) like she liked Canada too much. Chinese people need to act cold and aloof to get visas anywhere.

If you don't have a job, don't own any property, and probably don't have any money you aren't getting a visa regardless.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

Could you let me know which hotel, and did you ask about rates?

They wouldn't tell me that stuff because I'm also an overweight, gay nerd.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Taobao master dudes, I bought an awesome mega cage for my rabbit and it arrived like 3 days after ordering. Really fast. Really impressive. I went to go confirm that I've received the thing so the guy can get his money sooner, but every time I click 確認收貨 it keeps downloading aliedit.exe and gently caress no I am not running an executable from a Chinese website. Is there a way to confirm receipt of the goods without letting Jack Ma use my graphics card to mine for bitcoins, or do I just let the confirmation timer run out?

I've only bought two other things on Taobao and those were so slow I had to actually add time to the thingy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't know because my computer is loaded up to the brim with Chinese software, so everything Just Works. Just let the time run out, the dude can probably handle it just fine.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You should get a VM for your China Internet Things. Spin it up whenever you want to buy your BDSM cage on Taobao or whatever.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sounds like a lot of work. No thanks.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Whoever asked me about Ningxia, just stay in the capital and arrange for a driver to take you to the cool places and Jesus you better speak Mandarin or you're hosed out there. Can't give advice on hotels either as we stayed in fancy Party-only compounds.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

DontAskKant posted:

Short trips from Chengdu. Go.

Xian? I need Muslim food and old walls.
Chongqing, it's close.
Other places?

As a Chongqing boy ,I very much think you should go Chongqing .In fact, Chongqing is my hometown .Is so beautiful, have many mountains .Li Bai writing fameuhrrrs poem about Chongqing ,so is very special .Maybe I give you a listen the poem ,then you can understanding the beauty of Chongqing :

quote:

朝辞白帝彩云间
千里江陵一日还
两岸猿声啼不住
轻舟已过万重山

李白

What you say ?O, you don't speak Chinese ?I find a better version give you :

quote:

Zhaoci Baidi cai yun jian
Qianli Jiangling yi ri huan
Liang an yuan sheng ti bu zhu
Qing zhou yi guo wan chong shan

Li Bai

Can you read such po-erm and not want to come look my hometown ?No, is not possible, also Chongqing have chicken feet and hot pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
There's a nice Ted Koppel documentary on China from like 2009 called the People's Republic of Capitalism. It was pretty good. I liked it although a lot of it is outdated now. Anyway I bring it up because he spends a lot of time in Chongqing and refers to it repeatedly as "China's Detroit." Enjoy.