Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Angry Diplomat posted:

While I don't think it would make sense as a substitute for panic reactions and natural adrenaline surges, I love the concept of dwarven combat drugs. Maybe that could be what golden salve does.

I hope Toady gets around to more advanced contextual thoughts regarding combat and crises. I'd like to see, "Cog Relaxedbrewer has been happy lately. He recently seized victory in battle against all odds," after Cog Relaxedbrewer miraculously manages to strike down that rampaging goblin hammerlord with a one-in-a-million adrenaline-fueled haymaker to the throat.

Kodak Sakzul cancels weave thread: tweaking out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rolled a new adventurer, this one is an ardent worshiper of a war god.

:black101:

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I had an ongoing problem with vampirism and couldn't figure out who it was. Bodies were piling up and the fort was at risk of a tantrum spiral.

During a bout of sparring, some monkeys invaded, which caused one of my wrestlers to fly into a rage, before turning on his sparring partner and taking it out on them too. Coincidentally, his sparring partner just happened to be the husband of the vampire's first victim, so he was pretty pissed already. The two flew into a mad, frenzied ball of dwarven aggression, rolling around the entire fort, knocking each other unconscious and being dragged to the hospital, where they continued to fight each other, apparently now to the death.

Then something unexpected happened. The aggrieved husband took up his pear wood training sword and jammed it into the mouth of the wrestler, sending teeth flying everywhere. It was pretty gruesome and onlookers were standing around horrified. With good reason: these were the teeth of the legendary vampire dwarf Gatshi Scourpacks! The murderer had been identified!

I ordered the hospital sealed up and evacuated everyone else. The fight continued for several weeks, both combatants were passing out from exhaustion, but the husband was a hulking tower of muscle fortified by lust for vengeance, and he gradually pulped the vampire's organs with his blunt sword before finally caving its head in. Dwarven justice had been served.

Good thing dwarves keep such meticulous dental records.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, I mean, they are fangs.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

scamtank posted:

I dunno, actually. I don't know if natural limits go that far.

You know how the human median value for a stat is 1000 and the dwarven bracket for "superhuman beefcake" is at 2250, right? Vampirism straight up doubles that number.

The Tank comparison is a little off mark, though, since I thought vampires had the same PHYS_ATT_CHANGE syndrome as the undead for a moment. That one is triple strength + 1000 on top. Ridiculous.

considering how pansy rear end undead were before the update, i dont know what toady thought he was doing when he turned them into loving invincible death gods

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I dunno, my martial artist adventurer managed to take out a zombie elf with two punches to the skull so you just gotta step it up son

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Boing posted:

I dunno, my martial artist adventurer managed to take out a zombie elf with two punches to the skull so you just gotta step it up son

Kickers with a lot of skill are horrifying since a single kick can pretty much kill everything, when the kick connects with the head.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Harmonica posted:

I had an ongoing problem with vampirism and couldn't figure out who it was. Bodies were piling up and the fort was at risk of a tantrum spiral.

During a bout of sparring, some monkeys invaded, which caused one of my wrestlers to fly into a rage, before turning on his sparring partner and taking it out on them too. Coincidentally, his sparring partner just happened to be the husband of the vampire's first victim, so he was pretty pissed already. The two flew into a mad, frenzied ball of dwarven aggression, rolling around the entire fort, knocking each other unconscious and being dragged to the hospital, where they continued to fight each other, apparently now to the death.

Then something unexpected happened. The aggrieved husband took up his pear wood training sword and jammed it into the mouth of the wrestler, sending teeth flying everywhere. It was pretty gruesome and onlookers were standing around horrified. With good reason: these were the teeth of the legendary vampire dwarf Gatshi Scourpacks! The murderer had been identified!

I ordered the hospital sealed up and evacuated everyone else. The fight continued for several weeks, both combatants were passing out from exhaustion, but the husband was a hulking tower of muscle fortified by lust for vengeance, and he gradually pulped the vampire's organs with his blunt sword before finally caving its head in. Dwarven justice had been served.

Good thing dwarves keep such meticulous dental records.

I am reminded of the time someone described Dwarf Fortress as "a program that procedurally generates the finest Scandinavian black metal" or something like that. This story is magnificent :allears:

e: please make that hulking tower of vengeance-fueled muscle your Hammerer. Watch your rate of assaults and murders plunge through the floor when word gets around that a victim's next of kin can call upon Bomrek Hugefury to smash the killer into dust over the course of a full week of nonstop bludgeoning.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 6, 2014

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Build your roads out of skulls and your walls from meat and sinew and skin.

Meat fortress

:iit:

Currently in my .40.05 fort, I settled inside a Troll Leather hut that I found in the arctic. There is a nearby Troll Fur building as well. By this I mean the walls and ceiling are built out of Troll Leather and Troll Fur, respectively, so this apparently happens all over the world naturally.

As well as infinite campfires in the frozen wastelands.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

reading posted:

Currently in my .40.05 fort, I settled inside a Troll Leather hut that I found in the arctic. There is a nearby Troll Fur building as well. By this I mean the walls and ceiling are built out of Troll Leather and Troll Fur, respectively, so this apparently happens all over the world naturally.

As well as infinite campfires in the frozen wastelands.

It's a tent made of hides. Camps have them, typically.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Michaellaneous posted:

Kickers with a lot of skill are horrifying since a single kick can pretty much kill everything, when the kick connects with the head.

Urist McNorris.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Michaellaneous posted:

Urist McSareth. Just add spiked walls!

I really need to play HM&M Dark Messiah...

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Rolled a new adventurer, this one is an ardent worshiper of a war god.

:black101:

PS: Praise Murder

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Does it make sense to build my butcher workshop right in my meeting hall, to horrify and desensitize my dwarves?

This sounds like a restaurant that will be built in the future - you watch the animals get butchered in the center of the restaurant.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

reading posted:

Does it make sense to build my butcher workshop right in my meeting hall, to horrify and desensitize my dwarves?

This sounds like a restaurant that will be built in the future - you watch the animals get butchered in the center of the restaurant.

The wiki suggests routinely tossing a kitten or two down a 15z level shaft to your dining hall :unsmigghh:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Literally Kermit posted:

The wiki suggests routinely tossing a kitten or two down a 15z level shaft to your dining hall :unsmigghh:

Angry Diplomat posted:

I am reminded of the time someone described Dwarf Fortress as "a program that procedurally generates the finest Scandinavian black metal" or something like that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dwarf Fortress - Finest Scandinavian Black Metal

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
This is an annoying newb question, but is there like a default seed or pre-built map for noobs where you can just try out basic stuff? Like one that'll let me sample a bit of every industry? Finding a perfect spot seems to be a real challenge and I'd like to get decent at a perfect spot before I jump into a crappy spot.

Also, can I build a raising bridge over an empty channel? I want to eventually wall off an outside area for pastures and stuff, but would still need trade depot access. Is that the preferred way of doing that?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jackson Taus posted:

This is an annoying newb question, but is there like a default seed or pre-built map for noobs where you can just try out basic stuff? Like one that'll let me sample a bit of every industry? Finding a perfect spot seems to be a real challenge and I'd like to get decent at a perfect spot before I jump into a crappy spot.

Also, can I build a raising bridge over an empty channel? I want to eventually wall off an outside area for pastures and stuff, but would still need trade depot access. Is that the preferred way of doing that?

You can build a bridge over an empty moat, but keep in mind that invaders can climb now.
So fill it with lava or water filled with sharks with lasers on their head.
Or angry sea bass.

e: See instructional video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Filling moats with water is a really bad idea. Trust me.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
use a pump stack from the caverns to flood the entire surface map outside your fort with lava and/or water

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Jackson Taus posted:

Generare a world with minerals everywhere, it should give you everything you need to play with metalworking. Then find a river in a place with trees for everything else.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

my dad posted:

Filling moats with water is a really bad idea. Trust me.

Because Dwarves dodge into them?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Met posted:

Because Dwarves dodge into them?

Goblins can in fact swim, I believe.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
lol

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just jumping back into this for the first time since the new releases came out. When the caravan came, I got a message like "huh, no dwarven liaison, weird." I don't think it was an access problem since caravan wagons got through. I'm only in the second year of this fortress and there's no one here who seems to be the King in hiding so I don't think we became the Mountainhome.

Could it be a case of the liaison just not making it for some reason, or does this basically mean our civilization collapsed/got conquered? Is there any way for me to check on what is going on?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Just jumping back into this for the first time since the new releases came out. When the caravan came, I got a message like "huh, no dwarven liaison, weird." I don't think it was an access problem since caravan wagons got through. I'm only in the second year of this fortress and there's no one here who seems to be the King in hiding so I don't think we became the Mountainhome.

Could it be a case of the liaison just not making it for some reason, or does this basically mean our civilization collapsed/got conquered? Is there any way for me to check on what is going on?

You could retire your fort, look at legends, then resume playing your fort.

That does run the risk of having your fort conquered in the time between retiring it and starting it up again.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I'm afraid I'm gonna need more hilarious anecdotes about vampires and lycanthropes.

Or really just any funny stories you got.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

TheCIASentMe posted:

You could retire your fort, look at legends, then resume playing your fort.

That does run the risk of having your fort conquered in the time between retiring it and starting it up again.

It's probably safer to make a copy of your save. Go to your data/save directory and make a full (recursive in OSX/Linux) copy of the directory, naming it something like regionX_legends.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jackson Taus posted:

I actually generated a world recently with a REALLY good newby spot. It has everything: iron, flux, a river, sand, clay, tons and tons of soil, a shitload of trees, and it's right in the middle of a calm forest so the deadliest thing I've seen above-ground has been keas stealing merchant's quivers. The only downside is that there are no human neighbors, and I've already built a huge fortress on it. If anybody knows how to regenerate a world with the same landscape but different history so the site could get human caravans, I'd be willing to upload the world with the site highlighted.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I actually generated a world recently with a REALLY good newby spot. It has everything: iron, flux, a river, sand, clay, tons and tons of soil, a shitload of trees, and it's right in the middle of a calm forest so the deadliest thing I've seen above-ground has been keas stealing merchant's quivers. The only downside is that there are no human neighbors, and I've already built a huge fortress on it. If anybody knows how to regenerate a world with the same landscape but different history so the site could get human caravans, I'd be willing to upload the world with the site highlighted.

You can use the history seed to re-gen it in the advanced world settings right.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I got a good gen and I built a fortress and everything was going OK, but my population is exploding. First my dwarves are literally breeding faster than rabbits, and now in the Spring of my second year my migrants basically doubled my size! So I'm sort of overwhelmed because (a) I need to double my food/drink production and I was already short on seeds and (b) now I've got to branch into new industries all of a sudden so that those guys have stuff to do.

How do I slaughter my monkey captives? I went into the z-menu and set them to "Ready To Slaughter" but none of my butchers will do it no matter where I put the cage...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've made a huge mistake

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

obviously. they're not all dead and harvested of their bones yet.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Actually, you made ~90 huge mistakes. :v:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright so it is possible to retire a fort, make an adventurer, pick up gear and supplies from your stockpiles at said fort, and go adventuring.

It's possible to retire the adventurer at the fort after he's explored the world, and then unretire the fort and the adventurer will be there with most of his gear (seems to only keep equipped items, I had a couple pale metal shields in my inventory that disappeared).

Unfortunately upon unretiring the player made fort the FPS drops like a stone down to 1 or 2 and is pretty much unplayable. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Moridin920 posted:

Unfortunately upon unretiring the player made fort the FPS drops like a stone down to 1 or 2 and is pretty much unplayable. :v:

Check for creatures stuck in inaccessible 1 tile sized holes.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

my dad posted:

Check for creatures stuck in inaccessible 1 tile sized holes.

Isn't the only way to check for this to mine out the whole map? Because they get strewn all over the 3D volume?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Moridin920 posted:

I've made a huge mistake

yeah, you arent playing in ASCII mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

I've made a huge mistake

Oh no! Green blobs!

:confused: