Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
They sold Homefront 2 to Deep Silver in case you guys weren't aware, so it's got a decent chance of being made.

Unrelated, The Stomping Land, an Early Access game we all thought was a cut and run operation, is apparently not, and changing to UE4. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

PantsBandit posted:

Pretty sure with Homefront 2 it's just them saying "wow, you guys sure did gently caress up a decent concept through extreme levels of stupidity! I guess we'll try again and maybe not do that!"

It's not a decent concept. A deadly serious portrayal of North Korea invading and occupying the US is just ridiculous. There was never anything tongue-in-cheek about the scenario from the start--just take it all with a straight face and then press A to hide in the mass grave.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For some reason I thought it was China, not "Hey guys remember the T34/MiG15" North Korea.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It was hilarious how serious they were about the story's plausibility. They really wanted you to think that North Korea could actually stage a full invasion of the US and win. It's a terrible idea for a game that was executed terribly and I don't know why people try to defend any aspect of it.

Fun fact, the game was originally written with the Chinese as the antagonists but their CIA consultant decided the prospects of a chinese invasion wasn't as scary as a North Korean one. :psyduck:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Would that also get the game banned in China? I mean, Wargame: Red Dragon has a completely neutral depiction of the Chinese as participants of WW3, since it's just a modern RTS, and that still got the game banned in China because it just had the country available.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It was hilarious how serious they were about the story's plausibility. They really wanted you to think that North Korea could actually stage a full invasion of the US and win. It's a terrible idea for a game that was executed terribly and I don't know why people try to defend any aspect of it.

Fun fact, the game was originally written with the Chinese as the antagonists but their CIA consultant decided the prospects of a chinese invasion wasn't as scary as a North Korean one. :psyduck:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Azran posted:

Would that also get the game banned in China? I mean, Wargame: Red Dragon has a completely neutral depiction of the Chinese as participants of WW3, since it's just a modern RTS, and that still got the game banned in China because it just had the country available.

Yeah, that's probably the actual reason why they changed the antagonists to koreans, but it's still fun to read about their justifications.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't a ludicrous Korean invasion the premise of that Red Dawn remake they've been bandying about, too?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bieeardo posted:

Isn't a ludicrous Korean invasion the premise of that Red Dawn remake they've been bandying about, too?

Yeah, they did release that, but it bombed so badly that it's understandable that you'd think it hasn't been released yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234719/

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One of my favorites parts of Homefront's backstory was that Kim Jong Un was just so darn charismatic that he convinced South Korea to give up their autonomy to North Korea.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

folgore posted:

It's not a decent concept. A deadly serious portrayal of North Korea invading and occupying the US is just ridiculous. There was never anything tongue-in-cheek about the scenario from the start--just take it all with a straight face and then press A to hide in the mass grave.
You can just palette swap NK with Russia/Parody-of-SandpeopleMiddle East country/China and it would make no difference at all to the game. Hell, NK becoming a superpower is nothing but flavour text that everyone would ignore in any other FPS, even one trying to play it off as serious. NK has been dropping out as 'flavour-of-the-month' for a while anyway, it's all about the Russians again.
What made that quick-time event even more massively stupid was there was tons of other places to hide in that area too.

A proper openish-world Red Dawn would be pretty cool to play :colbert: Freedom Fighters was super fun but still linear in the end.
What I'm saying is Homefront 2 sounds like it could be pretty awesome, don't ruin the chance of a diamond being found in a turdpile dammit. Just as long as they don't add super mutants into the end-game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's almost like turning Crysis into straight-forward CoD inspired shooters was a bad idea.
Isn't Ryse what killed them and not Crysis 3 though?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, they did release that, but it bombed so badly that it's understandable that you'd think it hasn't been released yet.

That and none of the theatres in this drat city bother with their outdoor marquees. Man, that's about as terrible as what I thought it was going to be.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Palpek posted:

I know their UK studio shut down (Sorta, whatever they did. Closed then reopened under the new publisher), what about the rest of them?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Anyone else playing Road Not Taken? By the makers of Triple Town, a pretty neato puzzle game. Mixes the object-matching gameplay of Triple Town with a sort of roguelike-like quest to rescue people lost in a blizzard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

One of my favorites parts of Homefront's backstory was that Kim Jong Un was just so darn charismatic that he convinced South Korea to give up their autonomy to North Korea.

The backstory is described by its writers as a series of coin flips that could have gone either way. DPRK peacefully incorporating South Korea? Eh, a 50/50 chance of actually happening, sounds about right.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PostNouveau posted:

It got really hard to watch when they showed that psychic kid who knew everything about anything and basically defeated the Koreans by himself.

uber_stoat posted:

Anyone else playing Road Not Taken? By the makers of Triple Town, a pretty neato puzzle game. Mixes the object-matching gameplay of Triple Town with a sort of roguelike-like quest to rescue people lost in a blizzard.
It is hard to support them after they gave up on updating Triple Town because it wasn't a huge success on the PC.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Crawl hits early access tomorrow. For those who don't remember, Crawl is the game that had this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1BhKN9gEc

Giant Bomb did a preview of an early build awhile back. It looks interesting, but seems like it needs a fair amount of rebalancing. Not sure how similar it is to the build they sent them, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iutgq3Poab4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Played through the first hour of Tomb Raider. I haven't seen this many pratfalls since George of the Jungle. This is a comedy right?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah OMD 2 is beatable on easy but really balanced around co-op.
I beat and pretty much 5 Skulled all of Nightmare solo (:smug:), but some maps are indeed obviously more co-op orientated and you really need to know what to expect.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

Played through the first hour of Tomb Raider. I haven't seen this many pratfalls since George of the Jungle. This is a comedy right?

Ehhh. As others have said, it stops being so "Look, she's a real person and gets hurt, too, you guys!" after about two hours in.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Have you seen Kim Jong Un? Such a dream boat. :swoon:

I thought it was funnier that they later managed to take over Japan and no one did anything to stop them.

But I enjoyed the Single Player even if it was a weird mess. Then I sank 50+ hours into the multiplayer, so I'm only into Homefront 2 for the multiplayer.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
No, Homefront 2 has to fulfill the prophecy of being a proper open-world TPS that reminds us all of Freedom Fighters.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Poopinstein posted:

You should check out 8BitBoy the next time it shows up in a bundle. Total Maria style 2d platformer, but really challenging and packed full of secrets and stuff. I've enjoyed it a lot, especially since I had no idea what I was in for when I grabbed it.

It's actually $1.54 right now, close enough.

E: $1.34 if you link your profile from the IndieGala bundles and spend some Galapoints. So THAT'S what those are for!

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 6, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I tried to enjoy Crysis 2, but it was killed for me by the extreme distance between checkpoints. I had a lot of fun sneaking around and loving people up on the hardest difficulty, doing a lot of experimenting. But the game is also pretty hard unless you play it as a straight-forward shooter leading to a lot of deaths on my part. After replaying the same section and killing the same 10 guys only to get killed by the 11th or 12th guy a bunch of times I just said gently caress it.

What I'm trying to say is every game needs quicksaves. I'll savescum I don't give a gently caress. I fail to see the shame in savescumming.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So, am I mis-remembering but were the Megarace games cheesy FMV racing fun? I was noticing there is a Groupee's bundle with the games in there and I'm wondering if it's worth getting for some 90's nonsense: https://groupees.com/remute2

Orv
May 4, 2011
Crysis 2 did not have maximum mangrab and is therefor a failure. A failure which I actually really enjoyed the multiplayer for, but nonetheless.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011

Niggurath posted:

So, am I mis-remembering but were the Megarace games cheesy FMV racing fun? I was noticing there is a Groupee's bundle with the games in there and I'm wondering if it's worth getting for some 90's nonsense: https://groupees.com/remute2

From memory, yes. They had a Max Headroom kind of guy in them.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Orv posted:

Crysis 2 did not have maximum mangrab and is therefor a failure. A failure which I actually really enjoyed the multiplayer for, but nonetheless.

When it released, you could also edit an ini file in one of the game's folders to give you godmode powers in multiplayer, if I remember right.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I had fun with Crysis 2. It was a bit ridiculous that you could stealth through levels using cloak and just enter the next level without firing a single round though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

folgore posted:

When it released, you could also edit an ini file in one of the game's folders to give you godmode powers in multiplayer, if I remember right.

I would not be shocked if that were the case, but it was still really fun to cloak around toting a minigun you tore off a pintle mount.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, I've got a quick question about Divinity: Original Sin: I just read that in the beta there were only two companions you could get in the game, but is that still the case? Since I recruited Jahan because I needed a mage, but I thought I would hold off with the other ex-Source Hunter (can't remember her name) since from what I heard/read she was probably forcibly retired for a reason! So I held off in the hopes that I'd get more choices later on, although if that's not the case I suppose I'd better go and get her, before there's too big an exp gap for her to be useful.

Thanks (and sorry for any typos; writing this on my phone)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There are other party members. They just don't have quests or conversations. You get them after finding two star stones.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah there's only 2 story companions at the moment, otherwise you can fill in your empty spots with whoever you want from the Hall of Heroes.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Niggurath posted:

Oh man Megarace. The racing part was really dull and not much fun even at the time, but the FMV with the sneering host Lance Boyle was very entertaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsJ0lghEJoQ

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah there's only 2 story companions at the moment, otherwise you can fill in your empty spots with whoever you want from the Hall of Heroes.

Really? I've found like 5 star stones but my hall of heroes is always empty.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

folgore posted:

Yeah, the direction they went in with it was stupid. The concept (invasion and takeover of the US by a foreign power) has potential. That is what I was saying in the first place.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Really? I've found like 5 star stones but my hall of heroes is always empty.

There's an npc in there. He summons them for set fees. Lower level ones will get matched to your leader but start with less skills.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Crysis 3 and Homefront weren't well received, and Homefront in particular didn't sell well, although neither achieved the sales figures they were expecting given Crytek's expansion. Ryse was the straw that broke the camel's back because they had an entire two year development cycle sitting on the back of those sales, with Homefront II being the next out of the gate, had they paid their bills on time.

It's vaguely surprising because I thought Cryengine was solid, although I haven't seen that many things that leveraged it. I shed a small tear for Mechwarrior: Living Legends at this point.

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, the direction they went in with it was stupid. The concept (invasion and takeover of the US by a foreign power) has potential. That is what I was saying in the first place.

Only in terms of the wish-fulfillment. Even the original Red Dawn stretched credibility by introducing the Cuban/Mexican alliance to annexe the Rockies. Large countries tend to be difficult to invade in the modern world for gently caress all strategic gains. We just tend to send someone in with a contract now.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hav posted:

Crysis 3 and Homefront weren't well received, and Homefront in particular didn't sell well, although neither achieved the sales figures they were expecting given Crytek's expansion. Ryse was the straw that broke the camel's back because they had an entire two year development cycle sitting on the back of those sales, with Homefront II being the next out of the gate, had they paid their bills on time.

Crytek had nothing to do with the first Homefront, that was Kaos and THQ and there's a million reasons why it failed. If you want to read a really good piece of video game writing and a great postmortem on the game and company, check this out: http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/3560318/homefront-kaos-studios-thq

• Locked thread