Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

They'd better kill Vision off. There's no way I'm suffering through two movies starring that loving waste of space.

I love when you post stuff like this because I imagine it's the real Dan Didio gettin' mad and postin' on the internet about Marvel funnybooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I bet someone is dying in AoU. That's not to say it's going to be permanent, but it's going to happen.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't see how they can do another major character death and then roll it back and expect to get away with it after that horseshit with Coulson.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dan Didio posted:

I don't see how they can do another major character death and then roll it back and expect to get away with it after that horseshit with Coulson.

Groot in Guardians?

Actually there are a lot of them

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Pretty much every example in those films is set-up, executed and resolved within the film, even within the single set-piece or scene. The only one I'd really consider on the same level is Fury in Cap 2 and that's mostly because, as I've already posted about, I think he should have stayed dead.

I guess Bucky, but that comes with the territory. And it's more specifically dealing with the context in which they used Coulson's death, and their reasons for revoking it. It really cheapens the Avengers in hindsight, which is not necessarily a bad thing in a narrative sense, or a thematic one, but it's far too cynical a moment for them to repeat it in earnest and think it will resonate in a non-cynical way.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It'd be really funny if they made the death in Avengers 2 really really explicit and graphic to drive home that "this time it's for real guys, honest!" I'm talking looney Tunes here, Haweye gets squashed by an anvil, a piano and a horse, and just as Black Widow is holding him in her arms for the Touching Death Scene a steamroller approaches and runs him over for good measure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Well who else will Wanda have romance scenes with?

Quicksilver.

They're going full Jeph Loeb with this.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's just hard to imagine them incorporating the stuff that makes Hawkeye interesting. The primary thing for me is that, early Hawkeye was this guy who both resented and idolized Captain America. I think it defines Hawkeye's insecurity that you still see in Fraction's run. He is someone who is so self-reliant that he both despises Rogers as an authority figure and wishes that he could will himself to be the man. Then you have the fact that he's such a gently caress-up. He ran with villains and was mistaken as one. I think there is this sense of not-belonging inherent to the character.

But a lot of that stuff has already been done with Black Widow. As it stands though, Hawkeye isn't really a superhero. He's just a spy. He does this because it's his job. And they found a way to make that dynamic with Widow, but I'm not sure what they can do to make Clint interesting.

I'd like to propose that he's less a spy and more a soldier.

Something I've felt for a while is that they could do some of this in the films, present a notion that Clint was a person that was just shy of crossing that threshold into Captain America. But he's only got the aim, the military background and the senses of Cap, but not the gymnastics, character or the strength. He's almost a super-soldier, but not quite.

Now that Cap's back, it's more complicated. He's no longer excuse his 'failure' due to being held to the exaggerated standards of a mythical long-missing legend, but a figure who's alive and living up to the legend.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It makes the most 'sense' for Hawkeye to die because he has had the least amount of character development of any member of the Avengers. Not to mention with 3 new members being added, having one less makes the movie seem less overcrowded.

Also what the gently caress is a guy with arrows going to do against Thanos

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Also what the gently caress is a guy with arrows going to do against Thanos

The same thing everyone else does?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

It's not really as if an Anti-Thanos arrow you be more dumb than the "hacking" arrow in Avengers.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Away all Goats posted:

It makes the most 'sense' for Hawkeye to die because he has had the least amount of character development of any member of the Avengers. Not to mention with 3 new members being added, having one less makes the movie seem less overcrowded.

At the same time, that is what lessens the impact and makes incredible predictable.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe
Come on its obvious. Wonderman will be in the opening stinger and die before the credits. Because that is what Wonderman does.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They're gonna kill Coulson again and then Uatu shows up to be all "No guys for realsies" and then Fury kills him too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

It's not really as if an Anti-Thanos arrow you be more dumb than the "hacking" arrow in Avengers.

Arrow with a USB connector, puts virus poo poo into computer, makes sense to me??? :confused:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

Arrow with a USB connector, puts virus poo poo into computer, makes sense to me??? :confused:

I was getting things mixed up in my head. I meant the dumb Hawkeye shoots an explosion arrow from a plane and blows up a chunk of the helicarrier.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know I always thought that bad guy Hawkeye in the Avengers was a nod to his origins where he was a bad guy at first.

Also finally saw Guardians last night. One thing I liked that I haven't seemed a lot of people comment on was at the end where Drax reaches over and starts to pet Rocket. I thought it was really sweet.

The best part of the CD thread is the bitter argument about when Rocket goes "Boo Hoo my wife and kids are dead", people thinking that Rocket means he also had a wife and kids and is suddenly revealing that fact to Groot in that exact moment and that's why Groot gasps.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 6, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Doesn't he passingly mention he used to be in the circus? Or am I getting that mixed up with Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

I really didn't like Black Widow in either IM2 or Avengers but thought she was great in Cap 2. So I think MCU Hawkeye needs a similar role like Widow had in Cap 2 to build his character. But I don't know if Whedon or whoever is scripting Avengers 2 can work the same magic and develop several new characters and a pretty big villain all at the same time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I was getting things mixed up in my head. I meant the dumb Hawkeye shoots an explosion arrow from a plane and blows up a chunk of the helicarrier.

He shoots it into the turbine, doesn't he?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
People saying Renner is a bad actor are like people who STILL think Channing Tatum is a bad actor. Take your head outta your butt and watch some movies that aren't about dudes in tights hitting each other.

We should all be grateful that a dumb-butt weak-rear end character like Gambit will be played by an actor of Tatum's caliber.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

People saying Renner is a bad actor are like people who STILL think Channing Tatum is a bad actor. Take your head outta your butt and watch some movies that aren't about dudes in tights hitting each other.

If they do that they won't see Channing Tatum's better roles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every single one of the leads in American Hustle plays a comic book character now.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He shoots it into the turbine, doesn't he?

He's on a plane. Like with guns on it and poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bulging Nipples posted:

I don't think you get Hawkeye.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bulging Nipples posted:

I think the plane deviating from the flightplan moving into position where it can fire upon one of the turbines might have triggered some warning or defences. Whereas an arrow probably wouldn't have come up on any countermeasures.

I mean, it was still a stupid thing, but I can kind of see how it works.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sly Deaths Head posted:

This is actually why I find the Age of Ultron group movie poster to be very interesting. Hawkeye's the only one who looks visibly overwhelmed and his arrows seem to be doing very little. It feels very far from the one-note badass people seem to painting movie Hawkeye to be. I hope it's a hint to the character in the film. It's also worth pointing out the character that movie Hawkeye is supposedly interchangeable with (Black Widow) meanwhile probably looks more heroic then ever as she zaps robots with what looks like an even more superhero-ey costume.

This just makes me think of the Last Avengers Story where after a while, Ultron became a big pushover because all Hawkeye had to do was hit him with an EM disruptor arrow to take him out. That led to one of the few cool concepts of the book: Ultron had gotten thrashed by the Avengers so many times that he accepted that maybe humans were in fact superior. Then he changed his design to looking like a bald man with ink-black skin because who's better at killing humans than another human?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Waterhaul posted:

Depending on the director we will either get an arrow that Thanos catches singing 80s tunes as a distraction or one that makes snappy quips voiced by Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Kind of late to this, but Renner was hilarious in National Lampoon's Senior Trip. If I remember correctly.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Renner w as great in that one movie with Bale and Cooper and Adams. And Lawrence. Movie sucked though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He would shoot a flare arrow at Thanos, with Ant-Man secretly riding it, who would ride a photon through Thanos shield, and go into his brain through his eyes and lobotomize him.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

zoux posted:

The best part of the CD thread is the bitter argument about when Rocket goes "Boo Hoo my wife and kids are dead", people thinking that Rocket means he also had a wife and kids and is suddenly revealing that fact to Groot in that exact moment and that's why Groot gasps.

Goons failing to grasp basic humor will always be hilarious.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Hakkesshu posted:

I was hoping he would shoot it, have it bounce off and him having to walk up and plug it in because it's upside down

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Every single one of the leads in American Hustle plays a comic book character now.

Louis CK for Dr. Strange!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sumo posted:

That would own.

So GotG crossed the $100m domestic threshold and also set a bunch of Monday records which I dunno what that means! Maybe people going to see it again, maybe people who only had sold out shows over the weekend (like me) or word or mouth making people want to see it? Or nothing at all!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sumo posted:

John Waters. I'm telling ya.

Or kinda Willem DaFoe....maybe Peter Stormare for fun. Go a bit out of box.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

To be fair, in Thor, did anyone even for a moment think

Loki was really dead? After he JUST faked severing Thor's arm

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

zoux posted:

That would own.

So GotG crossed the $100m domestic threshold and also set a bunch of Monday records which I dunno what that means! Maybe people going to see it again, maybe people who only had sold out shows over the weekend (like me) or word or mouth making people want to see it? Or nothing at all!
My sister saw it yesterday with her friend, don't know if she liked it though.

Gatts posted:

John Waters. I'm telling ya.

Or kinda Willem DaFoe....maybe Peter Stormare for fun. Go a bit out of box.
Peter should play Mephisto though.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really didn't like Black Widow in either IM2 or Avengers but thought she was great in Cap 2. So I think MCU Hawkeye needs a similar role like Widow had in Cap 2 to build his character. But I don't know if Whedon or whoever is scripting Avengers 2 can work the same magic and develop several new characters and a pretty big villain all at the same time.

Put Hawkeye in Doctor Strange. :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Finally, someone who has read my Hawleye x Dr. Strange fanfiction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

A Tin Of Beans posted:

So he can beat Shuma Gorath with a net arrow.

• Locked thread