Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fenrir posted:

What wrong turn? This isn't ringing a bell at all.

Some people ended up in a certain fake House of Healing instead of the real one and got sent back to the other side of the very long dungeon :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shugojin posted:

Yeah what's up, I'm a Silver Devil, I can use Sacrifice and kill all y'all :haw:

Also there's all the unlucky people who got slammed by a certain wrong turn you can take near the end of 4 buuuut :v:

In 4 there's the horn that you'd never know exists or where unless you're looking around for it. I thought Necrosaro was the most absurdly hard fight ever until I went and got the horn, which exists solely for that fight.

With sacrifice they at least realized their mistakes and added those life stones in DW3 even though they were a pain to come by. Or you just rolled up goof-offs, maxxed luck, and class changed them since 125ish luck seemed to help a lot against insta-kill spells.

Kiggles posted:

Thing to remember about dragon quest is the failure state. If you are unprepared, underleveled, just keep cruising until you KO. You lose nothing but gold (and any items consumed). The trick is to just blow all of your money before leaving town, then basically keep beating your head against the most immediate wall until you either progress to the next wall. Once you get spells like Evac and Zoom, however, then simply warp back after open a couple of chest containing cash.

In the early-mid game before you get vivify dying repeatedly can drain you and leave you unable to pay to revive people. It's the worst possible experience in a DW game. Thought it pales in comparison to Wizardry where a revival can fail and turn you to ash, then a more powerful resurrection can fail on the ash and the character is permanently gone.

Shugojin posted:

Some people ended up in a certain fake House of Healing instead of the real one and got sent back to the other side of the very long dungeon :v:

I have never done this in... 5 or 6 playthroughs. Maybe it's because my ADD-riddled brain remembered the route from the first time I played and followed it from then on out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What's the lowdown on monsters in DQV? I've got a Slime and a Brownie and they're both currently even more worthless than the Sabercat was, although at least now I understand why they don't follow my commands thanks to Monty's explanation. Is training monsters an integral mechanic or are they more supplemental to human characters?

I keep getting surprised by monster training mechanics in RPGs. Not complaining, I have learned how to embrace the monsters, I just wasn't expecting it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's been an age and was a different version than the one you're probably playing so take this with a grain of salt - some of the late game critters are okay, but you'll be just grand with the humans alone. If you have a free party slot (you will, for a while) have a critter in it at least for providing an extra target for enemies, but in the end use who you want. Game's balanced enough in that regard.

e: Also thanks to some idle posts, I know there was a 10th main game and thanks to Google I know why I had no idea :v:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 4, 2014

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Slime knights are recruitable pretty early on, and can be useful throughout the game. They just have a very versatile set of moves and the ability to use equipment is nice. I can't say for sure how it is on the DS version, but I think that this stayed the same across both versions.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The two I remember the most are Bad Apple and Golem. You can get an apple pretty early on if I remember right and it's very useful for a large duration of the game, and the Golem is one of the only hard hitters for monsters by the endgame.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

What's the lowdown on monsters in DQV? I've got a Slime and a Brownie and they're both currently even more worthless than the Sabercat was, although at least now I understand why they don't follow my commands thanks to Monty's explanation. Is training monsters an integral mechanic or are they more supplemental to human characters?

I keep getting surprised by monster training mechanics in RPGs. Not complaining, I have learned how to embrace the monsters, I just wasn't expecting it.

Monsters are a pretty mixed bag in terms of quality, but they're designed to supplement the human characters, because there are so few of them. Slime Knight is a good early one, who is basically like a second copy of the hero in terms of stats, spells, and equipment use. An excellent use of monsters is to recruit a dedicated healer like a Curselime. Because monsters generally have poor equipment options, the best ones to recruit are the ones that have naturally high defenses or a lot of useful immunities. I've gotten a lot of use out of a Goodybag, for instance.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cool, so I guess I'll use 'em when I have free slots but not spend a bunch of time/resources recruiting and training them.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Even if the monster isn't in the active party you can still get a lot of use out of anything that has heal spells from inside the wagon.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Bonus points if your slime knight is named Pierre!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Goontrude: (slurp)

This game speaks to me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Regy Rusty posted:

Slime Knight is a great unit in basically every DQ game that lets you recruit one, IIRC. Golem should be a decent bruiser. I don't recall if DQ5 let you capture any metal monsters like in in DQ6, but Metal Babbles (in DQ6) were little piles of brutality and had Mega Magic.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I've always secretly wanted to capture a full team of Metal Babbles, just to see how gamebreaking it would be. Then I read somewhere that you can never capture more than 3 of one kind of monster. Add that on top of the capture rate going up exponentially per each one you capture on a monster that already has the highest difficulty of capture, and, well, yeah...

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
So I'm enjoying the helllll out of Dragon Quest 3.
It's just so drat fun. It really helped that when you start the game you can have a full party, and the spell casters actually start with spells and the MP to make use of them. So I never felt tied down in areas grinding at the beginning.

Holy poo poo is the ability to remember what the last couple NPCs said and read the text anytime you need it helpful as all hell. Easily one of the best additions. I really wish more games had something like it.
I'm playing the GBC version and god, it's been great. Sure the lack of backgrounds in battles is lame. But everything else looks really nice! And the music is still good.

I recently got my boat, so I'm very much at that part in a DQ game where the world has opened up and I feel just ever so overwhelmed with what I need to do.
So far I have Gotten the Final Key, and gotten one orb from the "Navel of Eden" where you have to take your hero in alone.

I know I have to return to the town where everyone is dead at night but alive in the day. Since there's an orb in the jail cell I need the final key for. I'm pretty sure I know how to get some other ones too.

I'm usually not too keen on the "MacGuffin Hunt". Getting all the doo-dads in DQ2 was a bit more of a slog. But it's not too bad in DQ3, there's a lot more enhancements to it that make it less of a chore.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Shugojin posted:

This was me.

The SNES version of DQ3 has a "fun" little surprise in store for people who had played the NES version: in the original, having the Golden Claw in your inventory "curses" you by causing you to be attacked every time you take a step, and is easily remedied by selling it for a ton of gold. In the remake, picking up the Claw just curses the Pyramid permanently instead. I'm just glad that I grabbed the Magic Key first, there's no way I was going to drag a Thief and two Jesters through four hours of nonstop battle.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

welcome posted:

This was me.

The SNES version of DQ3 has a "fun" little surprise in store for people who had played the NES version: in the original, having the Golden Claw in your inventory "curses" you by causing you to be attacked every time you take a step, and is easily remedied by selling it for a ton of gold. In the remake, picking up the Claw just curses the Pyramid permanently instead. I'm just glad that I grabbed the Magic Key first, there's no way I was going to drag a Thief and two Jesters through four hours of nonstop battle.

The SNES version requires the magic key to access the golden claw room, thus solving the problem of an impossible to traverse dungeon. I don't remember if you needed the magic key in the NES version.

Oh, and all magic is sealed in the SNES version once the curse triggers so you need to use herbs to heal. I also forget if that was in the NES version. I really hated the golden claw quest on the SNES.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In the GBC version, and therefore probably also the SNES version, once you get the claw out of the pyramid there's no longer a downside to using it, and it remains the best weapon for claw users for a very long time.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Draile posted:

The SNES version requires the magic key to access the golden claw room, thus solving the problem of an impossible to traverse dungeon. I don't remember if you needed the magic key in the NES version.

Oh, and all magic is sealed in the SNES version once the curse triggers so you need to use herbs to heal. I also forget if that was in the NES version. I really hated the golden claw quest on the SNES.

Oh I didn't even think of that, I'm pretty sure you're right. I don't even know which doors are opened by which key honestly now that I don't have to "use" the keys as items to open doors.

The magic sealing is not related to the claw, magic is off-limits as soon as you fall through the trap-door on the first floor. That behavior is the same as the NES.

And yes, getting out with the claw was terrible in the remake - the battle animations get old real fast when you've seen all of them 100 times in the last five minutes. At least my whole party gained two levels.

Bongo Bill posted:

In the GBC version, and therefore probably also the SNES version, once you get the claw out of the pyramid there's no longer a downside to using it, and it remains the best weapon for claw users for a very long time.

I had no idea or I might have kept it, although trading it in for three steel whips was certainly a better short term move for me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Yuuuuup. It's pretty ridiculous how good it is, too. Basically you just steamroll everything for quite a while after.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

And the enemies down there aren't that bad, either. Most of them are shadows, and most of the shadows have poo poo for HP. The ones that don't either give great XP or great gold.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
So I'm at the Lv. 20 point in DQ3.
Wondering how I should handle class changes.

My party is Hero - Thief - Mage - Cleric.

I'm somewhat tempted to change my thief into a sage. But I'm not sure if that's really the best option. Or should I make one of my already magic users a sage?
(And what would be the best place to grind that new Sage up to a respectable level so I can continue onwards?)

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I've never used a Thief so I can't say what I'd do with that. I like soldiers because they can use great gear, get tons of HP, and do reliable single-target damage, so maybe consider changing your Thief to a soldier, unless someone else who knows more recommends against that. Maybe thieves are really good later on.

Personally, I'd rather have more access to healing spells than damaging spells, so I'd change the Mage into a Sage. You'll find that a class changed character hits level 10 in only a few minutes if you fight on the ocean or around Dharma, and by that time they'll be strong enough to keep up with the rest of your party even if they are 10 levels lower.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

If you walk on the tightropes in the tower north of Dharma where you got the sage book, you have a pretty high chance of encountering metal slimes. A couple metal slime kills will get you to level 12 or so depending on class.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

SereneCrimson posted:

Holy poo poo is the ability to remember what the last couple NPCs said and read the text anytime you need it helpful as all hell. Easily one of the best additions. I really wish more games had something like it.

Is this a thing in the SNES version or was it only added to the GBC release?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

BadAstronaut posted:

GBC / SNES only. The hero learns a few utility spells that recall conversations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

SereneCrimson posted:

So I'm at the Lv. 20 point in DQ3.
Wondering how I should handle class changes.

My party is Hero - Thief - Mage - Cleric.

I'm somewhat tempted to change my thief into a sage. But I'm not sure if that's really the best option. Or should I make one of my already magic users a sage?
(And what would be the best place to grind that new Sage up to a respectable level so I can continue onwards?)

Thieves make decent sages, not as good as a fighter, though. Still, the thief utility spells are fine to pick up and won't even be noticed in a Sage's MP pool. Usually I prefer to turn a martial class into a sage and then my spellcasters into more martial classes. In your case I'd go Thief -> Sage, Cleric -> Soldier, and the Mage is wide open. In any case be sure you've already got the good spells you want out of a class before ditching it, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SereneCrimson posted:

I recently got my boat, so I'm very much at that part in a DQ game where the world has opened up and I feel just ever so overwhelmed with what I need to do.
So far I have Gotten the Final Key, and gotten one orb from the "Navel of Eden" where you have to take your hero in alone.

I know I have to return to the town where everyone is dead at night but alive in the day. Since there's an orb in the jail cell I need the final key for. I'm pretty sure I know how to get some other ones too.

These are two of my favorite parts of the game. The town building was cool too, though it's got some gates on it as you need to clear two other bosses before it can ever be finished.

Draile posted:

The anti-magic thing was just always there in parts of the pyramid.

Bongo Bill posted:

In the NES version you can just repel if moving somewhere, otherwise you welcome the increased Exp and gold brought by those willing monsters. :black101:

I only ever sold the claw if I didn't have a fighter in the party. The claw's increased battles helped make sure you were at 18-19 by the time you hit Dharma, at which point you'd have people hitting 20-21 by the time you pickup the book of satori.

BadAstronaut posted:

I think it was introduced in DQ5 and added to basically every game/remake after that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Just a tip, but something that helped me enormously when I got the ship in my recent playthrough of 3 was going immediately to Soo and searching near the well for the Staff of Thunder. If you have a wizard, it adds enormously to his usefulness as it can use a decent group attack spell as many times as you want without any MP cost.

I finished 3 a little while ago, and I wanted to give something of an After Action Report based on the party I used. I'll break it down by character:

1) The Hero's the hero, so that's basically always the same.

2) I started with a Soldier who, at level 22, became a Sage and stayed as such for the rest of the game. This worked very well as Sages are solid fighters in the middle game, which was only helped by the excellent Str and Vit growth as a soldier. Long-term, her agility was the best in the party as well. She was still a capable melee presence even in the end game and ended up with a robust mana and HP pool coupled with good overall survivability and tremendous utility. Definitely a combo I would do again.

3) My wizard changed late because of RNG bullshit giving her the level 38 spell at level 42. She then became a pilgrim and stayed as such until the end of the game. Pilgrims inevitably drop off and become the White Mages of DW3 late as their limited gear and Str growth make them tepid melee fighters (though better than a wizard, surely), but as a dedicated healer/buffer she did very well. Another good character build and the necessary support character in any party of good size.

4) My character who was a pilgrim at game start was my one "mistake" in the game. Once he got all of his pilgrim spells around level 41, I turned him into a wizard. This in itself wasn't a problem as he started wizard life with a triple-digit mana pool and better physical stats. When he hit about level 40 as a wizard and got all of his spells, I made him a soldier and immediately kitted him out with best-in-slot gear for soldiers: Thor's Sword, Swordedge Armour, Shield of Strength (casts Healmore) and an Iron Mask. Nevertheless, his HP growth was lacklustre and he had a poor MP pool due to the second class change and having had some bad luck with MP growth as a wizard - soldiers never getting any MP didn't help either. He never hit as hard as I would have hoped, and I was a little disappointed.

I enjoyed this run having 3 guys who new every non-Hero spell in the game, but when I eventually get around to playing the much-lauded SNES translation, I am going to make one tiny change and have my starting pilgrim, once she has all of her spells, become a soldier and stay as one instead of doing a stint as wizard. It was a fair amount of extra grinding for no huge benefit, but healing is king in this game and having all 4 characters with significant healing powers is very, very useful. I like caster-heavy parties and I was mostly spot-on with this one, so my next playthrough will be grand with that one minor tweak going forward.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah on the NES version I kept the claw around actually for grinding purposes even if I didn't have anybody in the party to use it. I'd just shove it in the Vault back at Aliahan and pay some money to get it back out when grinding time came around again.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Finished DQ6 DS. Much longer game than the DS remakes of 4 and 5.

Why isn't Dragon Quest/Warrior 7 on PSN? I don't really want to play it on PS2.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

Finished DQ6 DS. Much longer game than the DS remakes of 4 and 5.

Why isn't Dragon Quest/Warrior 7 on PSN? I don't really want to play it on PS2.

They don't want to republish the original when the remake exists, and they don't know countries other than Japan exist so they won't localize the remake.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dargon Quest IV is now out on iOS!

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

:confuoot:

I still haven't found my copy of IV, but I started playing III again so i'm fine.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Meanwhile, all us android dorks get is a port of VIII, the playability of which depends heavily on how good your device is

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

It's basically the DS version, right, no new changes?

Aside from the name, I mean.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Fancy Hat! posted:

It's basically the DS version, right, no new changes?

Aside from the name, I mean.

Dragon's Den says Party Chat is in. If that's true, I'm going to have to pick this up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Just getting party chat isn't worth $15 if you have the DS version already though. If the translation's been changed from the terribly ham-handed DS stuff then that'd be nice.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just getting party chat isn't worth $15 if you have the DS version already though. If the translation's been changed from the terribly ham-handed DS stuff then that'd be nice.

If you don't like stupid puns then get the hell out of here.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I really need to get around to finishing IX. The puns were fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bongo Bill posted:

In the case of 4 it's the stupid accents that bother me more than the puns. I like puns.