Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This isn't the kind of batshit crazy you get from spending too much time in echo chambers. I've got no idea what the gently caress his deal is, but I doubt he's an MRA or anything like that.

I guess you're right; it's more of a mild misogyny, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

I got in a similar terrible logic argument on imgur once about spaying dogs and the guy said it was mutilation and cruel. Luckily he got dog piled on(:haw:) pretty quickly but it was a pretty :psyduck: argument. Imgur is too ugly layout wise to screen cap it all, but here's an excerpt from midway through:

Some guy: "except spaying your female dog, if you have no intention of breeding takes away the risks of uterine cancers etc. yup. totally cruel." (note: doesn't take away all risk, but reduces the risk a bunch)
:arghfist::saddowns:: "yep... cutting off a hand will definitely keep it from developing cancer but that's not a good excuse to do it."

Repeat that same line of thinking for a whole bunch of comments.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Je suis fatigue posted:

Someone should start a business and just charge these internet famous chucklefucks to be their community managers/PR people, Phil Fish coulda used it too.

I'm pretty sure the Penny Arcade guys actually did hire a pro to help them years ago.

Granted, he... Didn't really help much with the Dickwolves thing until way after the damage was done.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Regalingualius posted:

I'm pretty sure the Penny Arcade guys actually did hire a pro to help them years ago.

Granted, he... Didn't really help much with the Dickwolves thing until way after the damage was done.

They hired a PR guy, not a god.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I missed the whole Dickwolves thing, how bad was it? I love train-wreck stories. :allears:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Cathy Brennan identifies as a feminist and runs "Gender Identity Watch," a hate group that stalks and harasses transfolk. She's far from the only feminist who is actively hateful and old enough to ought to know better.

Apparently she's suffering from severe endometriosis, but is refusing to get a radical hysterectomy because she's so deeply entwined with her belief that her womb is the font of all of her womanhood.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

I missed the whole Dickwolves thing, how bad was it? I love train-wreck stories. :allears:

Penny Arcade made a comic strip making fun of the nature of World of Warcraft quests: the player character refused to save any more hostages since he already reached his quota despite the begging of the hostages and the claim that they'd be "raped by Dickwolves." At this point it wasn't terribly offensive, just a lovely rape joke. People complained about it and PA's response was to double down on the rape jokes and the Dickwolves, going so far as to sell a Dickwolves t-shirt at their convention.

The real train-wreck wasn't in the comic strip itself, but rather PA's response to the whole thing. If they just apologized without being snarky about it it would've blown over and nobody would care in a few months time.

TinTower posted:

Apparently she's suffering from severe endometriosis, but is refusing to get a radical hysterectomy because she's so deeply entwined with her belief that her womb is the font of all of her womanhood.

Wombmynhood*

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

SystemLogoff posted:

Dickwolves was amazing. PA made a not so terrible joke about how in MMO games you save like 7 prisoners, and the rest of the prisoners can just get raped by dickwolves.

Apparently this sort of joke is just not right, cause people are getting raped by dickwolves all the time. But no really, rape jokes aren't cool.

So they reply, in an awesome fashion with "If you are raping someone right now, you should stop, cause rape isn't cool."

Very very classy. Then later the one dude talks about how transgender people shouldn't be considered the sex they want to be/are and they shouldn't act like they've got it hard.

needless to say I've stopped reading PA. gently caress the lot of em.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

SystemLogoff posted:

They made a mmo joke about leaving a guy behind to get raped by dickwolves because the hero had already saved the 5 guys required for the mission.

People went "hey man, rape jokes arent cool"

PA artist went all "IF YOURE OFFENDED BY JOKES THAN YOU SHOULD gently caress OFF CAUSE ITS JUST A JOKE OK?"

Then people said "well we really dont want to support you or penny arcade expo"

Then the artist guy went "WERE GONNA SELL DICKWOLF SHIRTS AND PEOPLE SHOULD WEAR THEM TO THE PA EXPO SO PEOPLE KNOW WHATS UP".

And basically everyone blew everything out of proportion and looked bad.

Then years later artist guy was all like "man we shouldnt have given in on that dickwolf thing!"

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Their response to the whole thing really.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Didn't they continue digging themselves a deeper hole after that through the combined effort of comics and newsposts?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

TinTower posted:

May she realize that this absolutism is completely senseless, and that after getting medical help, discover that it pertains to more than just her current condition.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elysiume posted:

Didn't they continue digging themselves a deeper hole after that through the combined effort of comics and newsposts?

Basically. However, what really got out of hand was that a bunch of their fanbase got hyper-defensive about people thinking this whole situation was pretty uncool and creeps started threatening to rape people at the next PAX.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Some very innocent stupid.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

May she realize that this absolutism is completely senseless, and that after getting medical help, discover that it pertains to more than just her current condition.

Hahaha, nope.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Amused to Death posted:

Here's some more recent tweets from Dawkins where he continues his hobby of being an insufferable rear end on twitter

How old's this fuckwit now? He's gotta be dropping dead soon right?

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Cathy Brennan identifies as a feminist and runs "Gender Identity Watch," a hate group that stalks and harasses transfolk. She's far from the only feminist who is actively hateful and old enough to ought to know better.

Cathy Brennan can scissor with Valerie Solanas in Hell.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Silly Voodoo posted:

The best (worst) thing is that this is what started the whole argument.

Politely asking someone to not use the word 'retarded' is a very radical statement, apparently.

While that JonTron guy appears to be an idiot, being offended by the mere use of the word "retarded" is way out of line. If JonTron wrote that the item in question was as stupid as a retarded person, being offended would have some merit.

In this instance the offended party creates the connection between retarded people and a out of context statement on motherfucking twitter. If people on twitter ever experienced the real world they would fall over from the crushing weight of being offended by everything.

VVV Yes, thank you, I know. But there's a limit to how offended you can get and at what. If the offended party really dislikes such word usage, maybe he shouldn't read JonTron's tweets. It seems that being offended is an internet-wide pastime (which this thread testament to).

Death by Cranes has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Aug 6, 2014

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.

Death by Cranes posted:

While that JonTron guy appears to be an idiot, being offended by the mere use of the word "retarded" is way out of line. If JonTron wrote that the item in question was as stupid as a retarded person, being offended would have some merit.

In this instance the offended party creates the connection between retarded people and a out of context statement on motherfucking twitter. If people on twitter ever experienced the real world they would fall over from the crushing weight of being offended by everything.

Wow, it's almost as if... some words have strongly negative connotations that offend people if thrown around casually due to their use to degrade a large group of people?? Makes you think, imo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Death by Cranes posted:

VVV Yes, thank you, I know. But there's a limit to how offended you can get and at what. If the offended party really dislikes such word usage, maybe he shouldn't read JonTron's tweets. It seems that being offended is an internet-wide pastime (which this thread testament to).

Look at all these sensitive people getting upset at me calling people I don't like "faggots", if I'd said they were as gay as faggots then I'd understand :smuggo:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Death by Cranes posted:

Tell us more about how minorities should react to slurs being thrown around :allears:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Someone politely asked him not to use a derogatory word, and he started yelling about Gaza. Clearly he's the winner here.

Also lol at you quoting a two day old post so you could throw in your bad opinion on a topic no one else was talking about.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

sugar mouse posted:

Some very innocent stupid.

The fact that my brain is still somehow able to read the person's name makes me worry that you (or whoever censored it) may have inadvertently created the next type of super-annoying CAPTCHA.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ol qwerty bastard posted:

The fact that my brain is still somehow able to read the person's name makes me worry that you (or whoever censored it) may have inadvertently created the next type of super-annoying CAPTCHA.

It annoys me because it can't be any easier than just putting a loving box over the names.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

Oh God yes. It was a textbook of what not to do for public relations.

Enjoy the full saga.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Is "retarded" really a derogatory slur now? I remember when it was being pushed away from describing people in favor of "mentally handicapped/challenge" or whatever was decided upon, but I don't remember it being considered derogatory and demeaning when used to describe the thoughtlessness and absurdity of a situation.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
It's a euphemism treadmill. Whatever you name the state of being mentally deficient, that name is going to end up being an insult one day.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Takoluka posted:

Is "retarded" really a derogatory slur now? I remember when it was being pushed away from describing people in favor of "mentally handicapped/challenge" or whatever was decided upon, but I don't remember it being considered derogatory and demeaning when used to describe the thoughtlessness and absurdity of a situation.

Yes. And it has been for a while.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Death by Cranes posted:

This post is as gay as a black person.

Takoluka posted:

Is "fag" really a derogatory slur now? I remember when it was being pushed away from describing people in favor of "gay/homosexual" or whatever was decided upon, but I don't remember it being considered derogatory and demeaning when used to describe the femininity and limp-wristedness of a situation.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ThatPazuzu posted:

Yes. And it has been for a while.

Noted. I guess I really don't understand why, though.

Kajeesus posted:

Is "fag" really a derogatory slur now? I remember when it was being pushed away from describing people in favor of "gay/homosexual" or whatever was decided upon, but I don't remember it being considered derogatory and demeaning when used to describe the femininity and limp-wristedness of a situation.

I don't think that's really the same thing! And I wasn't even trying to argue the point. I just didn't really understand the situation.

e: Also, was "fag" ever not derogatory?

Takoluka has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Aug 6, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Takoluka posted:

Yes but who REALLY cares except families of retards and a select few retards themselves

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Second place gets a small baggy containing the portion of his neckbeard meant to cover his chin.

He's just showing off the secondary set of testicles that he has in place of his chin.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Dumb is the same but that's mostly because dumb was used to describe the deaf and/or mute as if they were, well, retarded

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

We don't call people 'retarded' anymore, it's insensitive. The polite term is 'moronic'.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
If we're going to complain about Jontrons tactless use of slurs/words/whatever why not actually post the weird and slightly concerning poo poo he's said.

Like:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

karl fungus posted:

It's a euphemism treadmill. Whatever you name the state of being mentally deficient, that name is going to end up being an insult one day.

Up until the early 90s, in the UK there was a charity called 'The Spastics Society' which was to aid disabled people. Naturally 'spastic' became a playground insult and they decided to change their name to 'Scope' as you can't really turn that into a slur, can you?

You can. For weeks we just called each other 'Scope Bastards' on the playground instead.

(This causes embarrassment as I know in the US the word 'spastic' isn't a slur at all, and that ended up with a Transformer named 'Spastic' ending up on our shelves. Also the new Weird Al album has it in the lyric I noticed, and of course it became a news piece (didn't know this until I checked just then mind.)

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Bring back 'buffoon' and 'ignoramus'.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If I see one more goddamn Tumblr or Facebook post that throws Myers-Briggs Personality Test jargon around, I'm gonna lose it.

IT'S HOGWASH! IT'S CONFIRMATION-BIAS BULLSHIT!

loving Otherkin piss me off less than people who self-identify as INTJs or whatever bullshit.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Identifying yourself by any one small thing is stupid no matter what that one thing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

mng posted:

Bring back 'buffoon' and 'ignoramus'.

I'm partial to 'lummox'.

• Locked thread