Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

quote:

Four hours of Microsoft support, they only came up with one fix for one particular machine, which doesn't apply to any of the others.

At least they're consistent in how worthless they are. We have a case open with MS for an issue we're having with GUI graphical corruption for Windows 7 users - explorer.exe will poo poo itself violently (with no errors or presentation to the event log) on a seemingly random basis with tons of artifacting and overlay issues. The machine will be unusable until its rebooted or explorer.exe is manually killed/restarted. The only thing that seems to be a constant is browsing network shares.

So far they're about 20 hours in on troubleshooting and we have nothing to show for it. The only thing they've told me with any confidence is that the case is for just one singular machine and if this particular fix (if it presents itself) doesn't fix the others too we'll have to keep ponying up the 250$ to open new cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

At least they're consistent in how worthless they are. We have a case open with MS for an issue we're having with GUI graphical corruption for Windows 7 users - explorer.exe will poo poo itself violently (with no errors or presentation to the event log) on a seemingly random basis with tons of artifacting and overlay issues. The machine will be unusable until its rebooted or explorer.exe is manually killed/restarted. The only thing that seems to be a constant is browsing network shares.

So far they're about 20 hours in on troubleshooting and we have nothing to show for it. The only thing they've told me with any confidence is that the case is for just one singular machine and if this particular fix (if it presents itself) doesn't fix the others too we'll have to keep ponying up the 250$ to open new cases.
That really sounds like bad RAM.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

nexxai posted:

That really sounds like bad RAM.

It isn't hardware, its happening on both physical desktops and on virtual machines. We opened the case with MS because we exhausted our options.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I just took a laptop apart then put it back together. When I was finished, I had one extra screw.

I doublechecked. I put all the screws that the laptop uses back into it.

:ohdear: Am I... Am I a wizard?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

President Ark posted:

I just took a laptop apart then put it back together. When I was finished, I had one extra screw.

I doublechecked. I put all the screws that the laptop uses back into it.

:ohdear: Am I... Am I a wizard?

It's even more confusing when you're short a screw with 100% confidence you didn't lose any.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

For the printing solution, we use this and it's solid:

http://followme.ringdale.com/

You can use it in any printer too, so if the printer in your floor is dead you can go anywhere, swipe your card and get the job.
We can also e-mail the printer, if it has an attachment it prints the attachment and if it has just text it prints the text.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

orange sky posted:

For the printing solution, we use this and it's solid:

http://followme.ringdale.com/

You can use it in any printer too, so if the printer in your floor is dead you can go anywhere, swipe your card and get the job.
We can also e-mail the printer, if it has an attachment it prints the attachment and if it has just text it prints the text.

We used Canon Uniflow. Prints would just sit within the queue on the server, go to any copier, swipe card, bingo. Could print one job, then go there and decide you want more copies, change it, then release it. Jobs would clear the queue after 72 hours (I pushed for 24 but logic never wins).

Since almost everyone still had desktop printers, they had a solution for this. If they tried to print more than X pages to the desktop printer, they would get popup showing the cost savings of the MFP vs their desktop printer, the default option would be to redirect it to the secure queue. People could still print to the desktop printers, but managers would get reports showing people are lazy assholes. I have no idea if this made any difference. I voted to force anything over X pages to the secure queue.

Moey fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 5, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Used a print queue at a previous job and loved it. Brought up a queue system and people cried bloody murder. The combined effort of walking to a shared printer, then taking a card out of your wallet, rotating it to align with the swipe, swiping it (what if you had to do it twice!), and then...waiting for the print job to print?!?! made them feel like their time was not being valued. Now we have more printers than employees and everyone has a sub $200 piece of poo poo on their desk.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Roargasm posted:

Used a print queue at a previous job and loved it. Brought up a queue system and people cried bloody murder. The combined effort of walking to a shared printer, then taking a card out of your wallet, rotating it to align with the swipe, swiping it (what if you had to do it twice!), and then...waiting for the print job to print?!?! made them feel like their time was not being valued. Now we have more printers than employees and everyone has a sub $200 piece of poo poo on their desk.

This works better at places with a security requirement (badge in the gate to get to the elevators, badge in to the secure areas, etc). There everybody already has a badge so most of them actually like that they can go to any floor and print whatever they were working on at any copier.

Also HID cards are much easier than swiping those crappy access cards. Don't even have to be that close to the reader, just as long as it's near it somewhere.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

edit: ^^ yeah what he said

Roargasm posted:

combined effort of walking to a shared printer, then taking a card out of your wallet

Security policy requires all employees to wear their badge on a lanyard around their neck, so we know that everyone around is a trusted coworker and not some random person off the street (we have 2 of the 4 largest national papers in-house so this kinda matters). Badges have the photo of the employee along with the company logo so you know that they're the right person, their name and what department.

quote:

rotating it to align with the swipe

RFID, just blip it.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

luminalflux posted:

edit: ^^ yeah what he said

Security policy requires all employees to wear their badge on a lanyard around their neck, so we know that everyone around is a trusted coworker and not some random person off the street (we have 2 of the 4 largest national papers in-house so this kinda matters). Badges have the photo of the employee along with the company logo so you know that they're the right person, their name and what department.

RFID, just blip it.

See, I'd be tempted to carry around a fake card, so when I have to go see a user that's super pissed off before I even try to help them, I can just get the mythical Bob Johnson the Help Desk Manager in trouble for everything.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

luminalflux posted:

Badges have the photo of the employee along with the company logo so you know that they're the right person, their name and what department.

Logos shouldn't be on badges, otherwise if they're lost, the finder will know what they open.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

luminalflux posted:

We're supposed to wear badges at all times as well. I don't because it gets in the way quite often when you're hovering over an open computer. I'm sure you're thinking "Just clip it to a belt loop on your pants". We can't do that because (I poo poo you not) "We received too many complaints from female workers that it makes them uncomfortable to look at badges at crotch level" or some horse poo poo like that.

Sounds like a load of poo poo to me, but I've seriously gotten verbal warnings about that for that reason. So, gently caress 'em. I'm just not going to wear it.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

]

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

A closed bracket without an open bracket. I don't often run into that one.

It's still driving me crazy to see it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

You son of a bitch. I'm going to be failing to parse ALL NIGHT.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A closed bracket without an open bracket. I don't often run into that one.

It's still driving me crazy to see it.
Maybe you should start looking for the open bracket?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

anthonypants posted:

Maybe you should start looking for the open bracket?

I hit the question mark under his name to no avail

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'll fix this. [

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

TWBalls posted:

... I don't because it gets in the way quite often when you're hovering over an open computer....So, gently caress 'em. I'm just not going to wear it.

I got tired of getting mine caught in industrial machinery and called it a safety issue whenever some office drone having a bad day, looking to take it out on a peon, called me out for not wearing my badge.
Out loud: "Safety hazard..."
In my head: "My name is right there next to the company logo on my company owned uniform, dickhead"

luminalflux posted:

RFID, just blip push your rear end up to it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Antioch posted:

We have multiple domains and people leave themselves remotely logged in to poo poo all the time. I use the below to email myself when a lockout event occurs, and from what machine. So it's not 100% the solution you need but it's something. Save it as a batch file and have it run on Windows Event ID 4740 in Server 2008/2012 or 644 I think in 2003.

code:
del C:\Scripts\Results\AccountLockout.txt
wevtutil qe Security "/q:*[System [(EventID=4740)]]" /f:text /rd:true /c:1 > C:\Scripts\Results\AccountLockout.txt
The above makes a text file called AccountLockout.txt in C:\scripts\results (or whatever you change that to) and deletes the one that's already there. Then you set the task scheduler to mail you the file. The text file has the account name and the caller computer that locked the account.

Like so:

This is beautiful. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

peak debt posted:

Since server 2008 Windows has a builtin feature for this: Event Forwarding
You should have that set up anyway to forward stuff like account lockouts, edits on audited groups because:
a) You never know on which DC something happened so you have to check all of them
b) DC security logs are so notoriously spammy that you will have important events get knocked off within hours

There's a pretty good guide on how to set it up here http://www.avecto.com/documents/solution-guides/EventCentralization.pdf

I'll give it a breeze over, but chances are I won't be able to touch anything on the DC's at all (reason: ~security~)

luminalflux posted:

Printers at $BIG_MEDIA_HOUSE do pull printing - you queue the job then you go to any printer and blip your RFID badge (the same one that lets you in the building) and your print job comes out.

We have this where I work. It's a wonderful thing. They even have a guest system where the guest comes in and e-mails the printer, then they receive a PIN within 5 minutes to print out their job. It's beautiful.

We have very few personal printers, and most of them are restricted to VPs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

wa27 posted:

I'll fix this. [

It's too late now, it's the wrong order, and now that's an unmatched opening bracket. Just... please, stop, you're making it worse :negative:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Volmarias posted:

It's too late now, it's the wrong order, and now that's an unmatched opening bracket. Just... please, stop, you're making it worse :negative:

} There I closed it for you.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
> No, I think you meant this one!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Man, that badge printing sounds awesome. We already have the badges! PIN sounds like an impossible sell, but badge sounds great. Just in the IT printers, there are a ton of pages that are never picked up.

It will never, ever happen.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

There, all fixed. :toot:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Whatever, it still won't compile.

;

There. ;

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

This should help (}

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

TWBalls posted:

We're supposed to wear badges at all times as well. I don't because it gets in the way quite often when you're hovering over an open computer. I'm sure you're thinking "Just clip it to a belt loop on your pants". We can't do that because (I poo poo you not) "We received too many complaints from female workers that it makes them uncomfortable to look at badges at crotch level" or some horse poo poo like that.

Sounds like a load of poo poo to me, but I've seriously gotten verbal warnings about that for that reason. So, gently caress 'em. I'm just not going to wear it.

I used to work in a place with security cameras, and we were absolutely required to prominently display our badges on our upper torsos any time we were outside our own offices (which did not have security cameras as far as I could determine). They took it seriously too; I took four steps inside the building without removing my coat one day because it was goddamned freezing outside and a security guard stopped me. I believe the "upper torso" rule was so that the cameras could get a decent shot/angle of the picture on the badges.

Granted, this was not a place with large grabby industrial machinery either, so it wasn't really an inconvenience.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

peak debt posted:

So if you enter 1111 on the printer you receive a half dozen printouts from random people?

Like the other guys explained: no, you go over, there's a list of usernames that have jobs queued, you select yourself, enter the pin and it starts printing.

At another job I worked at we had the follow me printing thing that used the virtual printer device and you could walk to any printer and swipe your employee rfid card and it would start printing. Pretty neat.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Antioch posted:

We have multiple domains and people leave themselves remotely logged in to poo poo all the time. I use the below to email myself when a lockout event occurs, and from what machine. So it's not 100% the solution you need but it's something. Save it as a batch file and have it run on Windows Event ID 4740 in Server 2008/2012 or 644 I think in 2003.

code:
del C:\Scripts\Results\AccountLockout.txt
wevtutil qe Security "/q:*[System [(EventID=4740)]]" /f:text /rd:true /c:1 > C:\Scripts\Results\AccountLockout.txt

Migishu posted:

This is beautiful. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

I just realized something:

quote:

Save it as a batch file and have it run on Windows Event ID 4740 in Server 2008/2012 or 644 I think in 2003.

Yeah, I'm not allowed to "directly" access the domain controllers. I already access them via event viewer when I need to and I don't think I'm suppose to be. This company has a really convoluted security structure. They don't mind us accessing the DC's using the tools that we were provided (ALtools.zip), but anything else is generally a no-no. I need a solution that checks the DC logs without me directly logging onto the DC (remotely should be fine), or having a script run on the DC (we have so many DC's that it wouldn't be feasible anyway)

Yes, it can be counter-productive at times, but considering the nature of our company, I can understand our ITSEC being somewhat paranoid about abuse of privileges.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 6, 2014

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>

luminalflux posted:

Printers at $BIG_MEDIA_HOUSE do pull printing - you queue the job then you go to any printer and blip your RFID badge (the same one that lets you in the building) and your print job comes out.

We got this at the university. It's great, most of the time.

There are even ways to print from home and then use the RFID card to print on any campus.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
We use Papercut for follow-me printing. Solid product, solid support.

Print in one site, drive to another and swipe there to get your jobs.

You can now email attachments to a printers email address and it'll print the attachments. It's a boon for our guys who only ever have iPads or iPhones with them.

lots of scripting potential too. Job over 100 pages? Route to the big MFD. Job over 1000 pages? Prompt the user and ask if they're sure before burning two reams of paper.

/End plug

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Migishu posted:

I just realized something:

Yeah, I'm not allowed to "directly" access the domain controllers. I already access them via event viewer when I need to and I don't think I'm suppose to be. This company has a really convoluted security structure. They don't mind us accessing the DC's using the tools that we were provided (ALtools.zip), but anything else is generally a no-no. I need a solution that checks the DC logs without me directly logging onto the DC (remotely should be fine), or having a script run on the DC (we have so many DC's that it wouldn't be feasible anyway)

Yes, it can be counter-productive at times, but considering the nature of our company, I can understand our ITSEC being somewhat paranoid about abuse of privileges.

That's actually reason c) why you need event forwarding, giving even only read access to the DC security logs to non-Domain Admins is nontrivial and involves a fair bit of registry hacking. If you forward them to a regular server you can delegate access normally.

There's also a fair amount of cargo cult going on among "IT security engineers" about DC access which doesn't make this kind of stuff easy either :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Swink posted:

We use Papercut for follow-me printing. Solid product, solid support.

Print in one site, drive to another and swipe there to get your jobs.

You can now email attachments to a printers email address and it'll print the attachments. It's a boon for our guys who only ever have iPads or iPhones with them.

lots of scripting potential too. Job over 100 pages? Route to the big MFD. Job over 1000 pages? Prompt the user and ask if they're sure before burning two reams of paper.

/End plug

We use Papercut too but I had no idea it could do print by email. I'll have to investigate that. My users would appreciate it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
^ Latest release added office doc support and IMAP support. (Previous was PDF and pop3 only)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

peak debt posted:

giving even only read access to the DC security logs to non-Domain Admins is nontrivial and involves a fair bit of registry hacking.

The more I hear about solution on how this would make my life so much easier, the more I cry knowing that they would never implement these suggestions.

I think it's time for me to write a proposal on how their being anal is preventing me from doing my job.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 6, 2014

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

From my previous job:
"Wireless signal is weak in the women's changing room"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

chestnut santabag posted:

From my previous job:

Red alert! Eject! Eject!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

chestnut santabag posted:

From my previous job:

Perfect excuse to stroll in for uh... testing purposes... yeah, that's it.

• Locked thread