Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apostrophes are just there to let people be smug about its imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Wait until the French find out that they don't need all those stupid hash marks - or wait until the Vietnamese find out that they don't need to be able to play Excitebike on top of a sentence the way the French missionaries set things up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ahaha, Madam Secretary might be fun to hate watch.

quote:

As executive producer Lori McCreary explained Thursday at the Television Critics Assn. press tour, she and fellow executive producer Morgan Freeman -- yes, the voice of God himself -- had met with CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler about breaking into scripted television, and she advised them to find a character whose story they wanted to tell.

Then McCreary turned on the Benghazi hearings and found her inspiration.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Is there any chance that Freeman will be doing the narration? Because an Uncle Jessie style narrator for a witty political comedy could be entertaining.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So this is not going to be a comedy, pity that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

wait until the Vietnamese find out that they don't need to be able to play Excitebike on top of a sentence

:vince:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Joementum posted:

Yes, Minister is surprisingly good for a show that's a thinly veiled Thatcher manifesto.

It helps that one of the writers wasn't a Thatcherite.

In the Loop / The Thick of It is the best (British) political satire of recent times though.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 6, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Yes, Minister is surprisingly good for a show that's a thinly veiled Thatcher manifesto.

I'm not holding out much hope for Madam Secretary being any good, which is unfortunate.
The premise is more anti-Whitehall than anti-Government, really.

Humphrey, the Permanent Secretary (civil worker), is clearly the antagonist, and Hacker is a boob, but I think Reaganites and Progressives can both find common ground in the criticism of civil workers, who are basically the cockroaches who outlive all politicians.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
so invisible bridge is out, and it's getting mostly good reviews, but then there is this one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Having seen GotG last night I am left with one burning question: why have we, as a people, not domesticated raccoons yet???

e: I am this swan irl.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 6, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Having seen GotG last night I am left with one burning question: why have we, as a people, not domesticated raccoons yet???

quote:

Owning a raccoon is a way of life. They require a great deal of time and attention. You will have to continually provide him with entertainment. They can be vicious and they do bite. Raccoons are destructive and messy. Serious thought needs to be given before purchasing a raccoon
http://www.essortment.com/raccoons-pets-23462.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes that's why they need to be domesticated. Also bears.

The Russians domesticated foxes in like five generations, let's get on domesticating some of the cooler, cuter animals.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
who_is_ben_ghazi.gif

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Every time I see the word Benghazi I start laughing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't get it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I think they're trying to make a political statement about something. That or it's a very common middle name :confused:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Yeah it's a protest (suck it, obummer). it's the same reason why my middle name is Nineeleven.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5o_LwqX77I

This is long but this is unbelievable.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
BM's kickstarter has shat itself 3/4 of the way to its goal

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

SedanChair posted:

BM's kickstarter has shat itself 3/4 of the way to its goal

There's generally a rush in the final 3 days of Kickstarters so I assume it's gonna be fine. And a contribution from the Zionists or Qataris (whoever Brown Moses really answers to you know) could easily put him over the top if necessary. Meanwhile Star Citizen is nearing 50 million I think?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm giving all my children the name Benghazi.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

zoux posted:

Also, why the gently caress do we still use apostrophes? Is there a single sentence you can make up where the meaning is totally opaque with an omitted apostrophe? No.

He brought the chair's back to the house.

(Well, it's not opaque, but it's pretty different.)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

moebius2778 posted:

He brought the chair's back to the house.

(Well, it's not opaque, but it's pretty different.)

Nobody would think of the technically grammatical meaning here. zouxs point is a pretty good one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Nobody would think of the technically grammatical meaning here. zouxs point is a pretty good one

Uh sorry mate, there's is only one of me, dunno why you are referring to me in the plural.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
it's

its

?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
is hitlers army the army of hitler, or an army comprised of hitlers. think about it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Both sound pretty boss tbh

paragon1 posted:

it's

its

?

Make a sentence where you can't tell 'em apart from context. Its easy impossible and fun!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SedanChair posted:

Both sound pretty boss tbh

Make a sentence where you can't tell 'em apart from context. Its easy impossible and fun!

edit: alternatively,

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 6, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

edit: alternatively,

What is it like in a world where context doesn't exist?

Also, what the hell does it mean to chive? I only know it from those awful british meme shirts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I only know about the chive from some dude who got kicked out of the navy I went through training with. He's a young, white Republican who couldn't figure out how to claim the standard deductions on his W-4 and said "if you want lower taxes, vote for Romney 2012" for a gig where we were all hired on at $60k.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Isn't chive some sort of misogyny thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only thing I know about chives is that they are good on a baked potato.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Republicans would lower taxes? Probably not mine. I'm not landed. Aren't they trying to deincentivize not being white and suburban?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's run by some family?

quote:

John and Leo Resig founded Resignation, LLC in August 2007[6] and then launched theCHIVE.com in November, 2008.[7] The brothers went on to create additional photo-entertainment websites, all of which are staffed and managed by members of the Resig family.

And they mostly deal with stdh.txt

quote:

Hoaxes

Between 2007 and 2010, Leo and John Resig conducted a string of internet hoaxes that, according to Leo, were designed “to entertain and inspire, not to inform.”[5]
Donald Trump Tips

The "Donald Trump tip" hoax involved a doctored photo of a Santa Monica restaurant receipt that was supposedly signed by Donald Trump indicating that a $10,000 tip was left on a bill of $82.27. Trump denied the story's accuracy to Fox News Channel, which had originally published the story as real.[10] Other media agencies also ran the story, including The Huffington Post, E! News, and Access Hollywood.
Teenage texting disaster

The "Teenage texting disaster" hoax occurred in 2008 and involved a fictitious teenager who had accidentally sent a text message to her father stating that she had lost her virginity on the beach.[11] This became an internet meme and was broadcast as a true story by several media outlets.[12]
Jenny quits on dry erase board

Arguably the most famous hoax was "Girl quits her job on dry erase board, emails entire office", which showed several photographs of a woman quitting her job by telling a story with a dry-erase whiteboard.[13] This hoax was also reported as true.[14]

The next day, TheChive.com ran a follow-up series of photos revealing the woman's true identity as a hired actress named Elyse Porterfield.[15] Some news sources suggested the hoax was inspired by the dramatic resignation of JetBlue flight-attendant Steven Slater that took place the day before.[16] However, the Resig brothers told reporters that the idea for the hoax was conceived about a month earlier at a bar in Santa Monica. The pair wrote down the details on paper napkins. The casting for "Jenny" and her photo shoot was conducted a week prior to the JetBlue incident.[5]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh it's neo-ebaumsworld.com.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Also, what the hell does it mean to chive? I only know it from those awful british meme shirts.

I have no idea, that was just from a google image search for "grammar jokes"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

is hitlers army the army of hitler, or an army comprised of hitlers. think about it.

An army composed of Hitlers would be a Hitler army :smuggo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh btw we nuked Hiroshima on this date...

...69 years ago :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Yes that's why they need to be domesticated. Also bears.

The Russians domesticated foxes in like five generations, let's get on domesticating some of the cooler, cuter animals.

This is actually a point Jared Diamond makes in 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' - all the species that are amenable to domestication (without genetic engineering) already have been. Many species can be partially domesticated (elephants, racoons, sheep) but this doesn't become a hereditary trait. Canines are present in every human society and their domestication might be a symbiosis that predates homo-sapiens, much like the use of fire.

• Locked thread