Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

lotus circle posted:

So, basically, Batman the Animated Series Barbara? I know they're shooting for a younger demographic but I hope they don't go too far and remember at Barbara is supposed to be an adult already. This premise sounds more and more like something suited for a Stephanie Brown Batgirl run, but who even knows what's going to be going on with her until Eternal is over.

That said I'll still get a copy of #35 because I do want to support the new runners but I just hope things are kept in perspective.
Counterpoint: The New 52 DC is a convoluted lovely mess and it's better to just take good stories as they come rather than worry about how things tie into continuity or previous comics.

The annoying thing about the Babs reboot is that it's something they should have done three years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

TheJoker138 posted:

Does it end with "but then DC told us we had to go dark so welp?"

No it ends when the interviewer asks them about how they feel about their firing and that's how they find out they are off the book before it even prints.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I'm unreservedly looking forward to the new books and runs :) Imagine if Catwoman turns out good!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

lotus circle posted:

So, basically, Batman the Animated Series Barbara? I know they're shooting for a younger demographic but I hope they don't go too far and remember at Barbara is supposed to be an adult already. This premise sounds more and more like something suited for a Stephanie Brown Batgirl run, but who even knows what's going to be going on with her until Eternal is over.

That said I'll still get a copy of #35 because I do want to support the new runners but I just hope things are kept in perspective.

Stewart has said that Barbara is 21 in the nu52 and that's what she'll be acting like in her series. Like a regular 21 year old woman rather than like she's perpetually middle aged or what middle aged people think that 20 somethings act like.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Waterhaul posted:

Stewart has said that Barbara is 21 in the nu52 and that's what she'll be acting like in her series. Like a regular 21 year old woman rather than like she's perpetually middle aged or what middle aged people think that 20 somethings act like.
There are also plenty of misconceptions about the opposite end of the spectrum too (i.e. all 20 year olds care about is going to parties and living expensively) and Barbara has always been characterized as mature for her age, even when she was Batgirl before The Killing Joke came in. The interview does mention there will be some emphasis played out on her writing a thesis, so it's not that I'm pessimistic. I just don't want to see the narrative go from full grit to full carefree - it's all about balancing the two to a medium.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Madkal posted:

In case you weren't completely sold on the new Batgirl team, this interview will do it for you.

Choice quote:

Wow looking at that interview it comes across that the interviewer and the creators are really enthusiastic about the book and have invested a lot of energy in it. It sounds like being a fresh take on the source material, and more in line with the kind of Batgirl book I'd be interested in.

I wish them all the best, but I'm not going to buy it.

I have no ill will whatsoever towards the team, but the simple fact is Barbara Gordon is my problem. Whenever DC whatever the medium decide to use a Batgirl, it's always Barbara. It's the default assumption that Babs = Batgirl, and that's what kills me. Yes I can accept that Stephanie wouldn't work for the story the writers want to tell because she's too young and only been recently introduced. I get that. And I hope that they find the audience they are searching for.
It's just that audience won't include me. Because I just don't like Barbara Gordon.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Wow looking at that interview it comes across that the interviewer and the creators are really enthusiastic about the book and have invested a lot of energy in it. It sounds like being a fresh take on the source material, and more in line with the kind of Batgirl book I'd be interested in.

I have no ill will whatsoever towards the team, but the simple fact is Barbara Gordon is my problem. Whenever DC whatever the medium decide to use a Batgirl, it's always Barbara. It's the default assumption that Babs = Batgirl, and that's what kills me. Yes I can accept that Stephanie wouldn't work for the story the writers want to tell because she's too young and only been recently introduced. I get that. And I hope that they find the audience they are searching for.
It's just that audience won't include me. Because I just don't like Barbara Gordon.

Following characters instead of creators basically makes you the cancer killing comics. It's this mindset that leads to like 5 batman books while dial h gets cancelled.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

C'mon, I'm Mr. Stephanie is the Best, but I'm still super excited for this book, as it is EXACTLY what DC needs to be doing more of.

Also, do you not like Barbara as Batgirl, or Babs, period? She was pretty awesome during her stint with the Suicide Squad, head of Birds of Prey, mentor to Cass....

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Question IRL posted:

Stephanie was in college when the nu52 killed her book.

I feel the same way you do, but I don't even buy Cass merch because I feel like that's throwing money away in terms of bringing her back.

(yeah i'm still bitter over this)

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Following characters instead of creators basically makes you the cancer killing comics. It's this mindset that leads to like 5 batman books while dial h gets cancelled.

Woah woah woah. Lets not go calling people cancers who are killing comics.

Bad comics, not the customers, are "killing" comics (comics are not being killed btw, please do not start this conversation).

I cant get excited for this new Batgirl comic either. I just don't think I am part of it's target demographic. The suit itself looks fine. Its everything else that makes me think "ehh". The selfie in the bathroom with hipsters does not make me want to read a Batgirl book. And thats okay to feel this way.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

redbackground posted:

C'mon, I'm Mr. Stephanie is the Best, but I'm still super excited for this book, as it is EXACTLY what DC needs to be doing more of.

Also, do you not like Barbara as Batgirl, or Babs, period? She was pretty awesome during her stint with the Suicide Squad, head of Birds of Prey, mentor to Cass....

Oh my problem is Barbara as Batgirl. I was absolutely fine with her as Cass's mentor during that run on Batgirl. I just am not interested in reading stories about her as Batgirl. (Like her being present reduced my enjoyment of the Alex Ross Justice series, and that was a book essentially set during the 70's where it's appropriate for her to show up.)
It's like she seems more symptomatic of DC's refusal to ever change any of their characters even more so than Hal Jordan or Barry Allen. At least with Hal the rest of the GL Corps seems to evolve and expand, and Barry Allen's new series at the nu52 honestly tried to be a completely fresh take on everything. (And it had amazing, kinetic artwork.)

It's just Babs as Batgirl just screams "I am the great and wonderful Barbara Gordon. As long as I shall exist, you shall never see any non- red headed Batgirls in any Computer Game/ Animated/ Film adaptation of Batman. Imagine the future is my bat-boot stamping on your face, forever."
Now I know that the upcoming talent have nothing to do with that. That they are bringing energy and change, and it's not fair that they get tarred with the same brush for mistakes made by previous DC Editorial and writers. But life's not fair.

I'm just done with DC. Marvel are just putting out more and more stuff I consistently enjoy while DC just haven't been (aside from Synder's Year Zero and Soule's Red Lanterns.) I'm currently just waiting on Injustice to go on sale on Comixology so I can buy all of Year 1 and 2 of that.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

The Question IRL posted:

I'm currently just waiting on Injustice to go on sale on Comixology so I can buy all of Year 1 and 2 of that.
But Injustice is a digital first series. All the issues are at .99 a piece, I don't think they're going to get any cheaper than that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Grayson 2 was okay. I assume that the first arc is going to end with Grayson and Midnighter teaming up to take down Spyral. I assume Helena Bertinelli will also end up helping them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

lotus circle posted:

But Injustice is a digital first series. All the issues are at .99 a piece, I don't think they're going to get any cheaper than that.

I'm waiting for them to put the collections (IE the Digital-TPB's) on sale. If they don't do it around the time that Year 3 launches, I'll just buy them en mass.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The new costume for Batgirl looks great, but it also looks like DC are just trying their hardest to reel in Stephanie fans and get that audience back. Also in a Gail Simmone interview, Simmone promised more "LGBT characters than ever before" which just screams "I'm making a checklist of minorities to get a pat on the back by Tumblr, even though Gail isn't the one writing the new Batgirl.

I'll give it the same chance I give every new on-going. If I don't hate it in issue #1, I'll buy the first three issues and make a decision of whether it's worth buying or not.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

The new costume for Batgirl looks great, but it also looks like DC are just trying their hardest to reel in Stephanie fans and get that audience back. Also in a Gail Simmone interview, Simmone promised more "LGBT characters than ever before" which just screams "I'm making a checklist of minorities to get a pat on the back by Tumblr, even though Gail isn't the one writing the new Batgirl.

I'll give it the same chance I give every new on-going. If I don't hate it in issue #1, I'll buy the first three issues and make a decision of whether it's worth buying or not.

It really doesn't. It looks more like Cameron Stewart is trying to get that audience and somehow tricked DC into letting him. If DC was trying to get that audience they would just bring Stephanie back.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Senor Candle posted:

It really doesn't. It looks more like Cameron Stewart is trying to get that audience and somehow tricked DC into letting him. If DC was trying to get that audience they would just bring Stephanie back.
I've been hearing for years that Dan DiDio hates Stephanie Brown, Wally West, & Cassandra Cain and all their fans. I don't know how true that is, but their absence or treatment in the Nu52 isn't very telling. They were actively denying fans those characters for a long time, and when they finally did show up it wasn't even really the same characters or situations, just the names.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Flameingblack posted:

I've been hearing for years that Dan DiDio hates Stephanie Brown, Wally West, & Cassandra Cain and all their fans. I don't know how true that is, but their absence or treatment in the Nu52 isn't very telling. They were actively denying fans those characters for a long time, and when they finally did show up it wasn't even really the same characters or situations, just the names.

I think the common theory is that Didio (and co.) are far more interested (have a giant boner for) in silver age comics. Stuff like Stephanie, Wally and Cassandra, Kyle were all replacements for their silver age counterparts.
I guess we can all be happy that at least Dick Grayson didn't revert back to being Robin.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe they're doing something horribly divergent with her that I don't know about, but I think Eternal is introducing Steph just fine.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I don't like Barbara Gordon at all either, but the TYPE of book looks up my alley, so I'll read it and ideally, CamStewAndCrew will be rewriting her to make her less someone I dislike.

Which is hard, because one of the things I don't like about her is that she picked the name Batgirl and it's distaff Batman :( Every Batgirl after her was an homage to her, which is cool, but she's following a guy and blahblahblah. One of those things.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

The book looks fun, attractive, and interesting. For me, someone who's never been very attached to and/or read much of either Batgirl, I am going to buy and hopefully enjoy it, because odds are I'm going to want more books like it.

Not buying a good book because you don't like the principal cast makes you the Bizarro DT.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

hup posted:

The book looks fun, attractive, and interesting. For me, someone who's never been very attached to and/or read much of either Batgirl, I am going to buy and hopefully enjoy it, because odds are I'm going to want more books like it.

Not buying a good book because you don't like the principal cast makes you the Bizarro DT.

Light_Tzitzimine, as it were.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

I guess we can all be happy that at least Dick Grayson didn't revert back to being Robin.
I'm still hoping that's the endgame of Robin Rises, a Damien clone with Dick Grayson's mind inside it after he I dunno, gets killed by SPYRAL. That way you've got a kid Robin, it's THE BEST AND ORIGINAL FRAMER'S INTENT ROBIN and he's actually Batman's son, kind of!

"Hoping".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I haven't read any of the storyline yet, I'm still working my way through all the New 52 Bat Family books, but I'd rather they keep Damien dead. I know this is twenty years late, but it would be nice if death was permanent every once in a while in comics.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Manapul and Buccellato will introduce a new, female Anarky on their next Detective arc

I wanted to have Lonnie back :smith:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I haven't read any of the storyline yet, I'm still working my way through all the New 52 Bat Family books, but I'd rather they keep Damien dead. I know this is twenty years late, but it would be nice if death was permanent every once in a while in comics.

I like to think the fact that none of his fans can spell his name right is slowly eroding him from history.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Was Taters posted:

I like to think the fact that none of his fans can spell his name right is slowly eroding him from history.

I've only read the first three volumes of Batman and he only appears in a few scenes at the beginning of volume one. I barely know the character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I've only read the first three volumes of Batman and he only appears in a few scenes at the beginning of volume one. I barely know the character.

If you just Read Morrison's run (through his various titles) he hardly does anything at all so you aren't missing much.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you just Read Morrison's run (through his various titles) he hardly does anything at all so you aren't missing much.

No, just the main Batman series. Has Damian really been used at all in the New 52?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

No, just the main Batman series. Has Damian really been used at all in the New 52?

He was a big part of Batman and Robin, pre and post the new 52. I mean he didn't really do much in the pre but the whole first arc of the post is about him and how he relates to another hero that is more in line with his early values.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

He really couldn't be, because of the timing around the conclusion of RIP* and the boot up of the Now-it's-kinda-old 52. He was in some group scenes - Snyder's first Batman issue - and then the Tomasi run, which was awful mawkish stuff, because he was reinforcing the whole 'Bruce really loves this boy! and it'll be SO SAD when he croaks' line as it really wasn't something Morrison was taking care of in his own issues.

*Edit: Inc, I mean Inc

Was Taters fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 8, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He stars in Batman and Robin and Batman Incorporated (The N52 version. Vol.1 focused on his International Batmans network.) Guess Snyder wanted a solo book till he established his own lil helpers.

e: Not to put him down for it. If I got the hint he'd be gone in a year and didn't really have to support Morrison's book beyond the one Requiem issue, I'd have avoided him too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 8, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Was Taters posted:

You seen the previews for Multiversity?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jean Grey... eventually... kinda.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Martha and Thomas Wayne are still down!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Feels werid to do that given that their is a show with him as a main villain on Tv with him right now. (Though that show is unlikely to live given that CN decided to kill it before it aired 9 episodes.)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Regarding the death in comics thing...

I only started getting into comics in general within the last year or so. I started with most of the essential Bat books (which I'm still going through) before moving into the New 52 stuff. Now, while I didn't like 'Death in the Family' for a variety of reasons, I still thought the idea of the Joker murdering Jason Todd and that having a lasting effect on Batman to be really good. And then I found out online that they brought Todd back from the dead...but kinda not, but he's still alive I guess...only a few years later. I know this is a regular thing for people who read comic books and it must be amusing to see me complain about it, but it's so incredibly frustrating. And it was even more irritating because it was literally the only thing I actually liked about that book.

However, I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I've been told that the Jason Todd thing is handled better in Zero Year. Without giving anything away, is it better than the original story?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Zero Year is Bruce's first year as Batman, solo. No Robins at all. There was a backup in the #0 issue about where the Robins to be were at the time, but they only got a page or two each.

Keep in mind, you're reading about decades of stuff at once. When Jason Todd came back, it had been almost 20 years since he had been murdered, a fate which had been decided by a frickin' phone-in poll, by the way. (e: and he'd only been around for a year. I didn't know he was that short lived. He was barely given a chance.)

e: Might you have been told Zero Year did the origin better than Frank Miller's Year One? That's a debate for the ages, but I really liked Zero Year. It's been the best part of Snyder's Batman for me. If you've been into the comic so far it should be great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 9, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

However, I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I've been told that the Jason Todd thing is handled better in Zero Year.
Jason Todd does not appear in, or have anything to do with, Zero Year--you got some weird misinformation there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I may be getting some stuff confused considering how many books from different eras I'm reading at the same time. I know 'Zero Year' is the new origin story for Batman, but I thought I had read it ends up spanning several years and goes through some of the Robins as well, as well as having it so Jason Todd was never a Robin. I'm excited to get into 'Zero Year', though I loved 'Year One' so it would be hard for the former to top it. I'm also trying to avoid spoilers, so that probably furthers the confusion of what I've gathered, so I should probably shut up.

• Locked thread