Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mantis42 posted:

You know, the duck tits are only on screen half a second, don't let that ruin the best Marvel and George Lucas movie for you.

It was more the scene with an 8 foot long tentacle claw extending from John Lithgows mouth for me. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My mom loved the track listing for the soundtrack. My mistake was telling her the explanation for the Awesome Mix in the movie. She's the sensitive type, but I still don't like making my mom, a cancer survivor, cry.

For a funny sci-fi movie, it has an enormous amount of heart. When's the last time a movie felt so joyful?

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

Conal Cochran posted:

There was no reason for Thanos to be in this movie other than to tie it into whatever future movie Marvel had planned.

It honestly seemed more like it he was there to set up why Gamora was there and setting up the Gamora/Nebula conflict.

I could actually see them using GotG 2 as a full on prologue to Infinity Gauntlet before moving on to Avengers proper. Make it all about Thanos going after Gamora or something and you can get more of Thanos' backstory along the way.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Conal Cochran posted:

There was no reason for Thanos to be in this movie other than to tie it into whatever future movie Marvel had planned.

If we're just remarking on a character being pointless rather than the entire movie being pointless, then I'm content to call it progress and move on.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thanos ruled.

"The only thing that I do not take seriously is you."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dogeatdog posted:

It honestly seemed more like it he was there to set up why Gamora was there and setting up the Gamora/Nebula conflict.

You can easily do that with an absent father figure though. That's how Avatar: The Last Airbender did it with Zuko & Azula.

If that was what they were going for it was hammy as hell.

Thanos: "I lent my favorite daughter to you.."

*cut to Nebula, practically :argh: ing at the mention of Gamora*

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I was pretty pumped to see Thanos in the movie, since it wasn't announced beforehand and I wasn't expecting it at all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Officer Farva posted:

I was pretty pumped to see Thanos in the movie, since it wasn't announced beforehand and I wasn't expecting it at all.

They announced he was in it and Josh Brolin was playing him months ago.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Die Laughing posted:

My mom loved the track listing for the soundtrack. My mistake was telling her the explanation for the Awesome Mix in the movie. She's the sensitive type, but I still don't like making my mom, a cancer survivor, cry.

For a funny sci-fi movie, it has an enormous amount of heart. When's the last time a movie felt so joyful?

Make it up to her, the Mixtape is available for purchase quite cheap and it is a really really good tracklist.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So I've watched it twice, once on an actual IMAX screen in 3D, once on a 70' 4k screen. The mining craft chase in Knowhere and the big sequence at the end only made sense in 3D. poo poo was impossible to follow otherwise.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think Drax and Gamora both needed a similar 5 minute "_____-years ago" introduction about their defining moments origins that Quill got at the start of the film. It's sort of the first Marvel movie where almost no characters get a real deep origin story or isn't full of characters that have already dedicated film origin stories for them.

I know we're told repeatedly, "Ronan killed Drax's family, Gamora wants to escape Thanos", and that's fine. However, I still would have liked to have seen those events as a counterpoint/compliment to Quill's own to sort of give us an honest look of the sort of people they were before and during their traumas and maybe better understand how changed their respective life-changing events really made them.

Rocket and Groot, not so much, though, because they seem like characters that are sort of detached from the whole revenge angle of everyone else.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just watched this. It is so good that I don't even consider it a Marvel film.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah also just got home from the movie and hell yea that was a fun flick. Is there some sort of "best nonstandard use of music" award this can win or something because drat.

Also wow how weird is it that 1) Disney owns this and 2) let someone with a Troma history make this and 3) it owned?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I don't understand people complaining that Thanos was here. Did they get mad at Coulson and Fury and Widow in Iron Man 2? Or Fury in Cap 1? Heck, Batroc and Crossbones shouldn't have been in Cap 2 if they're just setting up another movie! drat them for trying to set up future movies in any way shape or form, the terrible people they are at Marvel.

These people just want to suck the joy out of everything.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Seedge posted:

I don't understand people complaining that Thanos was here. Did they get mad at Coulson and Fury and Widow in Iron Man 2? Or Fury in Cap 1? Heck, Batroc and Crossbones shouldn't have been in Cap 2 if they're just setting up another movie! drat them for trying to set up future movies in any way shape or form, the terrible people they are at Marvel.

These people just want to suck the joy out of everything.

A lot of people actually do think IM2 was mediocre-to-crap and place a lot of the blame on a large chunk of the film being used for Avengers foreshadowing. I'm not one of them, although I have only seen it once. I just got the Phase One briefcase set today though, so I'll be doing a marathon soon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Seedge posted:

I don't understand people complaining that Thanos was here.

No, you don't.

xtrmntallhippies
Aug 27, 2006
extra mean tall hippies

Die Laughing posted:

I was able to convince my mom to see this movie but maybe only because I was really stoked by it. She has only before been dragged to the recent Batman films, which I think are great but are also a bit grim. I told her it was a brighter movie and that "ooga chaka" was on it. She loves "Hooked on a Feeling", apparently. My dad is a skin cancer survivor, which connects less obviously with the opening scene, but he wanted to go anyway and I was the one to convince her. I think it might make her misty, but for movie reasons.

She said she has never heard me as excited for a movie since I saw the first Men in Black, but she also likes Blue Swede so we might both be beyond repair. (I also want to add a I was very young when Men in Black came out).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

BreakAtmo posted:

A lot of people actually do think IM2 was mediocre-to-crap and place a lot of the blame on a large chunk of the film being used for Avengers foreshadowing. I'm not one of them, although I have only seen it once. I just got the Phase One briefcase set today though, so I'll be doing a marathon soon.

I'm one of them. I mean IM2 has other problems that are arguably larger, but the fact that it's mostly just set-up for something else really hampers it. It was also the source of tension between Faverau and Marvel, who wanted those scenes in after the script was written and it's why Rourke suffers and seems to vanish for most of the movie.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Thanos was great to have just to show how more powerful Ronan considered himself with the stone. Thanos also took up probably less than 3 minutes of screen time so shut up you babies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think Drax and Gamora both needed a similar 5 minute "_____-years ago" introduction about their defining moments origins that Quill got at the start of the film. It's sort of the first Marvel movie where almost no characters get a real deep origin story or isn't full of characters that have already dedicated film origin stories for them.

I know we're told repeatedly, "Ronan killed Drax's family, Gamora wants to escape Thanos", and that's fine. However, I still would have liked to have seen those events as a counterpoint/compliment to Quill's own to sort of give us an honest look of the sort of people they were before and during their traumas and maybe better understand how changed their respective life-changing events really made them.

Rocket and Groot, not so much, though, because they seem like characters that are sort of detached from the whole revenge angle of everyone else.

Eh, I liked that it didn't go too far into backstories.

If there was one thing that I would change at all about this movie is that at the end they had a scene with Nova Corps saying Quill was only half human, and Space Merle saying that it was a good thing they didn't bring him to his father. Both scenes conveyed the same thing, really, and I would have liked it better with "now that guy was a real a-hole" as foreshadowing.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Dave posted:

Thanos was great to have just to show how more powerful Ronan considered himself with the stone. Thanos also took up probably less than 3 minutes of screen time so shut up you babies.

He also added to our view of Ronan's character by showing his duplicity. Without Thanos, Ronan would just have found the gem and then tried to use it on Xandar - seeing him make a deal with Thanos and then breaking it once he thought he had the upper hand shows us more about him.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, I liked that it didn't go too far into backstories.

If there was one thing that I would change at all about this movie is that at the end they had a scene with Nova Corps saying Quill was only half human, and Space Merle saying that it was a good thing they didn't bring him to his father. Both scenes conveyed the same thing, really, and I would have liked it better with "now that guy was a real a-hole" as foreshadowing.

Both scenes have slightly different purposes. The Nova Corps scene lets Quill himself know that he's half alien, while the other one lets the audience in on the secret that Quill's dad actually sent for him when his mother died. It overlaps, sure, but I can't see any other way of achieving both those things with one conversation.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

Both scenes have slightly different purposes. The Nova Corps scene lets Quill himself know that he's half alien, while the other one lets the audience in on the secret that Quill's dad actually sent for him when his mother died. It overlaps, sure, but I can't see any other way of achieving both those things with one conversation.

"Good job we didn't take him to his alien dad."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Junkenstein posted:

You're not really wrong, but it's not something Quill needs to know until the next movie :v:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

The Nova Corps scene also tells us that Quill's father is something 'ancient' and special which the Yondu scene does not.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It also gives a question people are looking to find out more about in the sequel.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yondu's crew calls Quill's dad "a real jackass", FWIW.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

There have been a lot of comparisons to Star Wars in this thread (rightfully so), but one that people have been making that has confused me is saying that Ronan the Accuser was Darth Vader, and even one person saying they were sad that they Darth Mauled the character by killing him off. I think that's making the wrong comparison. I mean, I guess he kind of resembles Vader in appearance, but Ronan's character isn't the one who's Darth Vader. Ronan is Tarkin. Nebula is Darth Vader.

Tarkin/Ronan is actuality the real villain of Star Wars/GotG. He's the one in control of the super weapon of the movie. He goes down with his ship. Vader/Nebula is more machine than human at this point. He/she is working with Tarkin/Ronan, but really works for the higher up villain, Palpatine/Thanos. Near the end, Vader/Nebula even has a lightsaber/sword fight with someone they have a history with (though here, that person gets to live), and in the end, flies away to live to fight another day.

It's not a perfect comparison, I know. Gamora isn't really Obi-Wan at all, and gets to live. And I'm in no way saying Nebula will end up being Starlord's mother (though she does vaguely resemble his mom, what with being as bald as his mom was due to the cancer treatment). But also mixing in a comment James Gunn made in The Empire podcast interview, that he doesn't really believe Nebula is all bad, and the fact that she clearly hates Thanos and what he's turned her into, I'm assuming she'll be redeeming herself at some point in the future, and in Avengers 3 may even be the person who kills Thanos.

Not sure the spoiler policy on GotG, so I'll just play it safe. Not that you guys don't know what happens in Star Wars or anything.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I just started reading Annihalation. This is the first time I've read a book with Ronan in it and man...I like him a lot so far just three issues in. I liked his movie version but so far I wish they hadn't killed his character some how in the movie.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I just started reading Annihalation. This is the first time I've read a book with Ronan in it and man...I like him a lot so far just three issues in. I liked his movie version but so far I wish they hadn't killed his character some how in the movie.

Eh, I don't think it matters, there is no way we would ever gotten enough movies to get his character close to like he is in the comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e X posted:

Eh, I don't think it matters, there is no way we would ever gotten enough movies to get his character close to like he is in the comics.

Yeah it took a while for Ronan to get fully fleshed out and not just be generic space bad guy vs. the FF.

Here's him in his first appearance in FF #65 in 1967.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How the gently caress did James Gunn get to direct this film?

I mean he only really directed two films. One a cheap horror film that still bombed and the other a very small niche indie film. That's it. How do you go from working with a budget of 15 million to more than ten times that?

BreakAtmo posted:

Iron Man 2 was more or less as good as the first one. I never got the hate.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Another thing I noticed on second viewing was that they totally tell you about the whole "eh gently caress his dad" thing right at the start of the movie as well.
When Yondu's on Morag and his lacky calls him out for being soft, he says something to the effect of "we were supposed to pick up that boy and deliver him." There's lots of little things to miss in this movie, like the aforementioned bath of blood.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean he only really directed two films. One a cheap horror film that still bombed and the other a very small niche indie film. That's it. How do you go from working with a budget of 15 million to more than ten times that?

Sometimes you just take a chance on a director. I mean the Godzilla guy had basically the same resume too.

quote:

They really chickened out on the main plot because of the whole "Hey the bad guy says that your father stole from him and made him out to be anything but a literal Walt Disney caricature...turns out he was wrong and your dad is still a swell guy!" thing.

I mean it's even funnier because you go to Captain America and it turns out his dad was just as much of a jackass as Stark was and could realistically have actually stolen that work.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Gunn's not the only one. Godzilla was directed by Gareth Edwards whose previous movie was the low-budget scifi Monster. His next movie is Star Wars. Marc Webb directed (500) Days of Summer before given The Amazing Spider-Man. Captain America 2 was by the Russo brothers whose most famous cinematic effort before this was You, Me and Dupree (but they also directed episodes of Community that were good). Next year we will get Josh Trank's Fantastic Four and Colin Trevorrow's Jurassic World.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Take a look at these guys resume
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo_brothers

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Marvel hires directors that they can easily control. :tinfoil:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

My hope that the second one carries on the soundtrack choices because it has one of the best soundtracks for any movie I have recently seen and would love an Awesome Mix Vol 2

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

My hope that the second one carries on the soundtrack choices because it has one of the best soundtracks for any movie I have recently seen and would love an Awesome Mix Vol 2

I can guarantee this. I would not be surprised if his dad has volume 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

The movie does, however, establish a pretty strong 'revenge my father, my father's father, etc.' tone from the character. I figured if they want to bring the character back with a tone more like his comic incarnations lately, just introduce a son of the character with the same name who maybe isn't as irredeemable a prick, but who has changed his family's target from Xandar to the Guardians or something .

• Locked thread