Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Good brutal or bad brutal?

Branch is a huge part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

precision posted:

Flashforward ended up being really drat good after being mostly incredibly boring for an entire half season. Kind of the opposite of The Ev3nt which actually did start kind of strong.

Flashforward would've been better if it wasn't almost entirely all plot threads of the cast trying to figure out what happened and was the inverse instead. Kinda like The Leftovers really.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
So the lady who plays Catelyn Stark in Game of Thrones now has a role in Resurrection, where she plays a matriarchal leader in a clan who was recently revived from the dead.

The GoT book readers probably get the joke, but for the tv watchers: (Warning: GoT book spoilers that will never happen on TV) Catelyn Stark is supposed to come back from the dead, as Lady Stonerheart. It's a huge plot twist in A Storm of Swords, but will not happen on the tv show most likely.

It's not relevant to anything, I just thought it was humorous.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lena Heady posted this on her Instagram regarding that spoiler

http://instagram.com/p/nEeNM0PA3L/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sober posted:

Flashforward would've been better if it wasn't almost entirely all plot threads of the cast trying to figure out what happened and was the inverse instead. Kinda like The Leftovers really.

I still say the episodes with Ricky Jay and Dominic Monaghan were great. The show should have been about those two dudes trying to one-up each other in the game of "manipulate the universe with quantum doodads" but instead I WAS LOADED, OKAY!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Slamhound posted:

Unless the lesbians of The L Word all became lumberjacks, it ain't got poo poo on Dexter.

They literally killed the main character in the first 5 minutes, then the entire season was a big whodunnit "mystery" about it that the showrunner still refuses to ever actually solve.

Then the final shot was all the other characters runway walking with windmachines and dramatic lighting into the police station to be interrogated.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

100,000+ people died in a Tsunami less than a decade ago. People move on.

I just don't get it. Sorry.

The people in the show didn't die, they disappeared.

In real life, many people have a very hard time moving on when their loved ones disappear, because they don't know if they actually died. And in those cases, the disappearance isn't likely to be supernatural, and there are good explanations (accident, kidnap+murder, etc.)

The divorce scene in this last episode highlights the issue. Nora 'divorces' her disappeared husband, and is reminded that the divorce is binding, should the husband ever come back. You have to move on from your children and husband being gone even though you don't even know if they'll just return tomorrow. This makes it incredibly difficult to move on, because there is a lot of guilt there. I mean, people already feel guilty about moving on from actual deceased people who will never come back. This is even worse.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 6, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
As much as I enjoy The Leftovers and some people who complain about it in here need to get some perspective, can we stop talking about The Leftovers? It's probably worse than True Detective because I don't remember TD spilling over into here as over as The Leftovers has. We get it guys, you hate Damon Lindelof.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ironic that you complain about people talking about The Leftovers and then parrot the absolute worst talking point about it. Not everyone who dislikes The Leftovers thinks Lindelof sucks or was butthurt by LOST, man.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

Ironic that you complain about people talking about The Leftovers and then parrot the absolute worst talking point about it. Not everyone who dislikes The Leftovers thinks Lindelof sucks or was butthurt by LOST, man.

That's not irony. The irony is simply that he's talking about The Leftovers even though he's asked people to stop talking about it.

...Well of course I'm picking a fight over semantics, haven't we established that I'm an rear end in a top hat about this show?

We really should talk about something else. Like Domino's pizza. Everybody assumes that Domino's pizza is the worst, but did you know that actually eating their pizza in irresponsible, depressing portions can lead to you lying awake in your bed at 4 in the morning with a sour stomach, hating life?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not convinced the Domino's online tracking is real. Did Jorge really just put the pizza in the oven?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It's not a talking point, though. It's real.

The show's based on a book that gives no explanation to the disappearance, the premise requires the event to be unexplainable, and Lindelof has said on interviews that they're not really interested in explaining the mystery, and that if you didn't like how LOST didn't answer mysteries, you wouldn't like this show either.

Now, it's alright to not want to watch the show because you'd like the mystery to be explored.

But you can see in a lot of replies and criticisms that many people want everyone to know that they're dropping the show because they're not going to let Lindelof swindle them again or something. Even though he's been upfront about what the show is and isn't.

It's basically what people wish they'd done while watching Lost, but didn't.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 6, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not convinced the Domino's online tracking is real. Did Jorge really just put the pizza in the oven?

My housemate works at Dominos and it's not real. Just on a timer.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I stopped eating pizza because none of my local pizzerias understand the term "thin crust" and I'll be damned if I'm eating at Papa Johns.

What does that have to do with tv? Nothing, but if the people in CineD can talk about their stupid dead dads in the general chat thread, I can talk about pizza in this one. :colbert:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
The only episode I ever watched of Dexter was the series finale. It didn't bother me that he was a lumberjack, only that he was a lovely lumberjack.

Look at that lovely table. This guy wasn't cut out to be a woodworker.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

I stopped eating pizza because none of my local pizzerias understand the term "thin crust" and I'll be damned if I'm eating at Papa Johns.

What does that have to do with tv? Nothing, but if the people in CineD can talk about their stupid dead dads in the general chat thread, I can talk about pizza in this one. :colbert:

If I remember correctly and you live in Pennsylvania, you should drive to Maryland and get some Ledo Pizza.
It's true though, every pizza place I've been to since I moved here has been lovely and disappointing.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Delivery pizza is not acceptable food.

Ledo's is ok.

Neapolitan pizza is true pizza.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It's not a talking point, though. It's real.

The show's based on a book that gives no explanation to the disappearance, the premise requires the event to be unexplainable, and Lindelof has said on interviews that they're not really interested in explaining the mystery, and that if you didn't like how LOST didn't answer mysteries, you wouldn't like this show either.

Now, it's alright to not want to watch the show because you'd like the mystery to be explored.

But you can see in a lot of replies and criticisms that many people want everyone to know that they're dropping the show because they're not going to let Lindelof swindle them again or something. Even though he's been upfront about what the show is and isn't.

It's basically what people wish they'd done while watching Lost, but didn't.

I think people who like the show have more LOST baggage than people who simply find it really loving boring.

Ledo's is indeed pretty good pizza.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Fooz posted:

Neapolitan pizza is true pizza.

I thought Neapolitan was a type of ice cream?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

I thought Neapolitan was a type of ice cream?

:catstare:

Go get yourself some proper pizza.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I haven't watched more than a few episodes of Lost, haven't seen the finale, and have no desire to give the show a full watch. I understand that The Leftovers isn't looking to provide an answer to its rapture and am okay with that. I even think there are a lot of aspects that the show does really well. But that doesn't negate the fact that there are valid criticisms to be made about the show. Stop trying to come of with copout excuses for why some of us don't like the show as much as you.

Ok, pizza chat to balance out Leftovers chat. I actually enjoy Domino's thin crust pizza (which has a crunchy, crackery crust, ala St. Louis-style pizza), if only because most places around here don't have it. And the few ones that do have it on the menu will often have it made by people who think it just means "like regular pizza, but with the crust as thin as possible."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If you do not live in New York City, please stop discussing and, indeed, eating pizza.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well aren't we a bunch of loving pizza pros.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

If you do not live in New York City, please stop discussing and, indeed, eating pizza.

Go yell about CNN or something, Jon Stewart.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can usually find a way to enjoy pizza no matter where it's from, because y'know, it's loving pizza.

Except for Papa John's which is like 40% crust over here.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Papa John's is The Leftovers of pizza.

But don't actually eat it as leftovers cause it's gross.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bown posted:

I can usually find a way to enjoy pizza no matter where it's from, because y'know, it's loving pizza.

Except Chicago, that's gross.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

Except for Papa John's which is like 40% crust over here.

Papa John is also a complete dirtbag so it's best not to give him money anyway.

Also deep dish rules.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

IRQ posted:

Papa John is also a complete dirtbag so it's best not to give him money anyway.

Also deep dish rules.

Same deal with those puppets off the Dolmio ads, they are right fuckheads in reality.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aphrodite posted:

Except Chicago, that's gross.

You may as well cut out your taste buds. You're obviously not using them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JohnSherman posted:

You may as well cut out your taste buds. You're obviously not using them.

There are certainly better things to use them on than the trashcans made of dough you call "deep dish pizza."

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

raditts posted:

There are certainly better things to use them on than the trashcans made of dough you call "deep dish pizza."

Feh, I love deep dish but Chicago's square cut thin crust is what I grew up on and will always be my favorite.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

raditts posted:

Yes, I've compiled a list for you:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

hope and vaseline posted:

Feh, I love deep dish but Chicago's square cut thin crust is what I grew up on and will always be my favorite.

Same, I grew up there and whenever we visit family this is what we always get.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If it's good enough for jeff gerstmann it's good enough for me: dominos forever assholes

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bown posted:

My housemate works at Dominos and it's not real. Just on a timer.

Everything I knew is wrong :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TV chat thread hoppin but the culprit is pizza chat.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rarity posted:

Everything I knew is wrong :smith:

Just figured this out, did you

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

If it's good enough for jeff gerstmann it's good enough for me: dominos forever assholes

Of all the people to take dietary cues from, you pick Jeff? I mean I guess you could do worse and be Dan "cheese filled hotdogs microwaved in a shoebox for 3 months" Ryckert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I going to have to start talking about game shows again?

Because I will do that.

I will loving talk about game shows.

EDIT: Skin Wars on GSN, Tonight at 9, RuPaul is a judge. Pawnography's main game is some tepid, directionless crap that the bonus game doesn't quite make up for. The Chase got awesome last night with that Super Offer gimmick they introduced.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 6, 2014

• Locked thread