Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

ceebee posted:

^This

Everybody grows up for the most part and needs to find a career path, no matter how goony they are.

That being said, I'm so glad I don't have to work on The Sims 4.

This is so darn true. When I was in high school I was so darn desperate to be seen as cool. I would lie pathologically about EVERYTHING. Its a wonder I had any friends at all. Now I'm grown up and I'm living my dream and I am terribly embarrassed at how I felt that I needed to act that way. People grow up and sometimes they grow up into the thing they were lying about in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Shoutouts to being grown up and successful but still being an awful mess of a human who still has all their psychological hangups from middle school.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, my company photo had me wearing a fake mustache. Props are really common.

I directed a series of kickstarter videos that never saw the light of day (thankfully- the kickstarter was garbage). The props I gave to people were a variety of increasingly elaborate cookies on a plate. We started with the humble digestive and ended out at empire biscuits by way of pink fancies. That was the best expenses form I've ever filled out.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

androo posted:

Hey gamedev goons,

This is Thom: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/thomas-whalen/8/149/969

He's every lovely friend you had in 6th grade, but in an adult's body. Last I heard he was still lying pathologically ("my uncle works at Nintendo" type poo poo) and making up random rules to win at card games. He went to Full Sail for game design, but as far as I could tell had zero talent or passion. Always dodged gamedev questions, no Github or Stackoverflow accounts, etc.

Anyhow he was back in his hometown the other weekend and a bunch of my friends saw him. He says he's working on The Sims 4 but when my friends pressed for more info he said it was all confidential. He claimed to be in a design / development role, but his Linkedin only lists "balancing The Sims 4's systems and economy" which just sounds like "tightening the graphics on level 3" to me.

What's the read, goons? How full of poo poo is my friend?

This guy wearing an unfashionable hat is markedly less goony that some idiot strolling in to a gathering of his industry mates and going "hey this guy is such a nerd he doesn't really have this job, right?"

Really, really take a good hard look at your life, his life, and the reasoning behind your behavior here. The lovely friend full of poo poo is probably not the one publicly trying to dig up dirt on the other's legitimate job.

Seems like this guy paid his dues in QA and then got a design job on a large title, so congratulations to him. Hopefully he's got better friends than you.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Thom sounds like a man who values his job and respects the power of an NDA. I don't know anything more about him but from these posts he sounds like he is mature or has matured enough to understand being a professional.

Hey, apparently he is a 2nd Degree connection.

2nd degree here as well but shouldn't that be everyone in the industry in your country, with the rest of the world at 3rd? :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hughlander posted:

2nd degree here as well but shouldn't that be everyone in the industry in your country, with the rest of the world at 3rd? :)

Yeah, I got him 2nd degree too, because I'm connected with Robin Linn, so everyone in the video game and animation industries are 2nd degree connections.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
3rd here. :( dudes probably wondering why he suddenly has a bunch of profile views.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Mega Shark posted:

This is so darn true. When I was in high school I was so darn desperate to be seen as cool. I would lie pathologically about EVERYTHING. Its a wonder I had any friends at all. Now I'm grown up and I'm living my dream and I am terribly embarrassed at how I felt that I needed to act that way. People grow up and sometimes they grow up into the thing they were lying about in the first place.

This is me. Pretty sure that if I ever met anyone from high-school again they'd think I was still lying my rear end off, and honestly couldn't blame 'em.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

mutata posted:

Yeah, I got him 2nd degree too, because I'm connected with Robin Linn, so everyone in the video game and animation industries are 2nd degree connections.
Ditto.

I really hope Androo did some basic separation between his forums account and his real account, since it seems any one of us could easily contact good ol' Thom. Good job, Androo.

EDIT: I've never even looked at making an account on github or stackoverflow. Closest I come to github is bitbucket, I guess?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 1, 2014

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Do game programmers use github and stackoverflow much? I thought they were mainly used by web and open source developers. But I am also an old C++ boxed software/game programmer and probably behind the times.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

DancingMachine posted:

Do game programmers use github and stackoverflow much? I thought they were mainly used by web and open source developers. But I am also an old C++ boxed software/game programmer and probably behind the times.

stackoverflow is good at answering programming questions I google but I have seen no reason to ever actually sign up?

That guy's whole thing was really passive aggressive and weird.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

What's worse, androo's post or traffic on the 91?

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Wal-mart parking lots have better throughput than the 91

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

What about the Wal-Mart on Anaheim Blvd. Off the 91.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Studio posted:

What about the Wal-Mart on Anaheim Blvd. Off the 91.

Non-euclidian road layouts are hardly a fair test case.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

DancingMachine posted:

Public profiles on github? I doubt many do (though we've open-sourced a bunch of our stuff in various degrees of maintenance), but I'd imagine most of the "new wave" have accounts/projects hosted there privately.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Actually I just checked and I'm only a 3rd degree which makes sense given that I work with traditional games mostly but have co-workers who did work relating to the gaming industry.

Thom is basically my best friend is what I'm getting at. Super close, practically besties.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Dumb question, but I noticed Unity says you're allowed to use their assets for anything. Would it reflect badly on me as a designer if I used their assets on my portfolio (giving due credit, of course) instead of attempting to make my own?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

demota posted:

Dumb question, but I noticed Unity says you're allowed to use their assets for anything. Would it reflect badly on me as a designer if I used their assets on my portfolio (giving due credit, of course) instead of attempting to make my own?
Not at all. Nobody cares. Portfolio pieces use ripped/retinted sprites half the time. Very few designers are artists, and unless the project is bigger, nobody expects you to have nice custom art. There are also a lot of nice free-use tilesets out there I'd recommend looking at (Reiner's, etc), which show up in designer portfolios constantly. Given that you're on Unity, also look at the Asset Store, there are TONS of free models/etc to play with.

... but DO try and have a few projects of sufficiently scope in there that they do include working with an artist. Not for the "reflect badly on you" bit, just because showing experience working with a team is huge.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

xgalaxy posted:

If being a gamedev requires me to have active github and stackoverflow accounts then gently caress my life.

Yeah, I've never seen these matter.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

Pixelboy posted:

Yeah, I've never seen these matter.

If interns have them and use them it does make them stand out a little from the rest of the crowd. For any full time hire? Doesn't really matter.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

BrainBot posted:

If interns have them and use them it does make them stand out a little from the rest of the crowd. For any full time hire? Doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I can agree to that statement.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

androo posted:

Hey gamedev goons,

This is Thom: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/thomas-whalen/8/149/969

He's every lovely friend you had in 6th grade, but in an adult's body. Last I heard he was still lying pathologically ("my uncle works at Nintendo" type poo poo) and making up random rules to win at card games. He went to Full Sail for game design, but as far as I could tell had zero talent or passion. Always dodged gamedev questions, no Github or Stackoverflow accounts, etc.

Anyhow he was back in his hometown the other weekend and a bunch of my friends saw him. He says he's working on The Sims 4 but when my friends pressed for more info he said it was all confidential. He claimed to be in a design / development role, but his Linkedin only lists "balancing The Sims 4's systems and economy" which just sounds like "tightening the graphics on level 3" to me.

What's the read, goons? How full of poo poo is my friend?

Will confirm that is his job, that he's a pretty decent DM, and also you're being an rear end.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

As I sit here cleaning up some mess in GIT wherein a member of my team managed to stealth a changelist in that, somehow, caused a time warp that effectively nulled all my work and caused me to have to rewind time and manually copy-paste files to present as overwrites in a new commit, and even THEN I can't tell if everyone else's work got through, I can only verify mine... I'm starting to question how the hell anyone can use GIT, ever, at scale.

How does poo poo like this not take your studio down constantly?

(that said, the person who broke it was a non-technical artist, I think, and it apparently involved a crash during a commit which he then decided to revert... so the answer here might just be "and this is the secret reason why you don't let artists touch git", no idea)

EDIT: The huge, mega, super bummer is I don't appear to have the tools necessary to snip changelists out of the history entirely. That's basically what I would have needed to do, to fix this cleanly. There may be a GIT way of doing that if you're an expert, but frankly? I'm mystified. So maybe the other half of this is "you also need a dedicated build engineer"?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 5, 2014

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I guess git rebase is what you want in the latter case. It lets you rewrite history, usually you use it for rewriting the history of a topic branch to match upstream, but there's nothing to stop you from using it on the mainline. You can then edit, drop or reorder (provided you fix any merge conflicts) commits.

Also if you have the SHAs of the original commits, git cherry-pick might be helpful.

I think the way to get git to scale is by enforcing a social hierarchy on repositories even when there isn't a technical one - ie. have engineer maintainers that are responsible for merging in commits from others who might break things. But I've never actually tested that so it's just a guess :).

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
You have an integration repo and a "last known good revision" repo. Developers pull from the lkgr repo and push to the integration repo (or send pull requests from their own repos). Someone who knows what he's doing (call it a build engineer, integration engineer, whatever) merges from integration to known good when basic tests pass. If there's a bad push, he's the one who backs it out and fixes the tree.

Letting everyone push to the trunk doesn't scale.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 5, 2014

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

That's close to how we roll. Nothing's pushed directly to master (ok, hotfixes are), but rather for any feature or bug fix, someone makes a branch and then a pull request is made against master with various people having to sign off before it's merged back to master.

If you're not (super) comfortable on the command line, check out SourceTree, it has handy one-click menus for things like "reset master to this commit", cherry picking, interactive rebasing, and more.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Your non technical friend probably force pushed his changes, thus rewriting history. And the way to prevent this in the future is to have a process like devil mouse suggests. You don't need seperate repos for this, because git supports branching. Just have all your non technical people push to branches and do pull requests. And only you merge them back. It will be immediately obvious in the pull request if they hosed something up. Once you merge the change back in, delete the branch.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 5, 2014

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

If you don't have separate repos, why do you trust someone who does a force push to get the remote branches right? That makes no sense.

(Some centralized VCS like Perforce support per-branch permissions in which case this does make sense. But if you have a decentralized VCS, for the love of god use a separate repo.)

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Well in the enterprise version of github we use at work we have the ability to disallow pushes into master for certain people. Thus they can only push branches. Does public GitHub not have that?

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Github != git.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Do we need to have a version control discussion every three pages?

(I guess we do)

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I was tempted to make a joke about filter-branch --all

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

(I guess we do)

If we could stop reverting to previous changes, we'd be fine but everytime someone tries to submit a new conversation it usually just ends out with us talking about either freeways or coming back sick as dogs from conventions.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
And this is why I still use Perforce.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Mega Shark posted:

I think if it didn't cost three first-born children for more than 20 workspaces, more people would too.

With that said, I'm so glad we use Perforce. P4V works on all platforms and is awesome. (also P4Merge is crap software and should die at the hands of the far superior Beyond Compare)

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Mega Shark posted:

There's zero things mentioned in this discussion where the actual VCS matters. Centralized systems use branch permissions, decentralized ones just use decentralized repos.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Skuto posted:

There's zero things mentioned in this discussion where the actual VCS matters. Centralized systems use branch permissions, decentralized ones just use decentralized repos.
Yup. An artist with Perforce pushing the wrong buttons could absolutely gently caress trunk just as badly. I never understood why the artists were silo'ed into AlienBrain at the old studio, while the rest of us used Perforce... kinda starting to wonder if this is part of why. :v:

That said, aside from my grumbly post, this wasn't THAT unusually awful an event. Got it fixed in a few hours of cursing and time-warping through the history to grab the actual versions of files that should have been in place. I guess it isn't Games if you don't have trunk get broken every few months, or something.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that, even with The Explosion, I'm still liking GIT way, way better than Perforce. DCVS is quite a bit nicer for remote work, and I'm honestly not sure Perforce would be terribly workable given our extremely distributed team. I haven't even gotten to experimenting with branching yet, though I guess, technically, shelving is related.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 6, 2014

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
From personal experience (of being an artist), I'm significantly more likely to gently caress up something super badly in GIT than I am in Perforce. I've had to call an adult so many times over GIT-related sadness. I'm a little traumatized by the experience and feel a bit hamstrung/helpless anytime there's a merge error or conflict (which is often, even on a small team).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
You guys can quit complaining, because you aren't using an internally developed version control tool that can't do a diff between your workspace and a branch within the tool itself.

edit: I long to return to Perforce.