Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

enojy posted:

drat, I just realized I flubbed up by buying Super Mario 3D World at full price from a brick & mortar shop, when I could've paid about the same amount buying it on the eShop, had it accessible at all times via internal storage, and gotten a bunch of digital download promotion points AKA $5 off.

At least I'll be able to sell the physical copy if I ever decide to.

If it makes you feel any better, physical mediums have been scientifically proven to be all around better than digital in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

enojy posted:

drat, I just realized I flubbed up by buying Super Mario 3D World at full price from a brick & mortar shop, when I could've paid about the same amount buying it on the eShop, had it accessible at all times via internal storage, and gotten a bunch of digital download promotion points AKA $5 off.

At least I'll be able to sell the physical copy if I ever decide to (I feel like I'll have it 100% completed within a few weeks.) It plays like the kind of classic Mario game you can come back to 10 years later.

I think the next game I'll get will just be from Amazon; they tend to sell Wii U games for about $12 less than most everywhere else.

Good luck with Champion's Road

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Best Buy and Target will both price match Amazon if you show them the listing on your phone, so you can always do that too. I know Target says they will still do it for a week after your purchase. Might be able to save yourself a few bucks there.

Fremry posted:

You guys are all ridiculous. They confirmed her gender because there's an entire generation of kids that they want to grab as consumers who weren't even alive when OOT came out. There are millions of kids who were born after September 11th that Nintendo is trying to hook now so that they spend money for the rest of their lives. It's why we have a whole thread of man-children arguing about Zelda canon.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any younger siblings/cousins/children who are really into Zelda? It feels like the series hasn't had a genuinely great game since Windwaker, and between that and the fact that there are just a lot more games in general to choose from, I wonder if kids are really latching onto the series the way older generations did after playing LoZ, LTTP, or OOT. Or are young kids blown away by Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword?

With Mario, no matter which game is your favorite you can make a legit case that the Wii and Wii U entries stand up among the best in the series, but I'd be hard pressed to argue that the newer Zeldas are anything more than pretty good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any younger siblings/cousins/children who are really into Zelda? It feels like the series hasn't had a genuinely great game since Windwaker, and between that and the fact that there are just a lot more games in general to choose from, I wonder if kids are really latching onto the series the way older generations did after playing LoZ, LTTP, or OOT. Or are young kids blown away by Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword?

Yeah, I have a number of younger relatives who are into Zelda. Also, to be honest, the seething hatred for Twilight Princess in particular seems to be largely an internet fanbase thing. Most of the Zelda fans I know IRL enjoyed it. Skyward Sword is a bit more mixed but there seem to be genuinely positive impressive of it. A former co-worker bought it for his elderly mother who really enjoyed it, for example.

Zelda's a very easy game to play and get into, which has always been one of its strengths. You can make arguments about the NES-era Zelda games but eh. It's certainly got stricter competition from other kinds of games now but there's very few similar games on the market, especially designed for all age groups and player levels. It isn't as mind blowing to anyone these days but it's pretty hard to match the blowing-of-mind that was the switch from 2D to 3D or even the switch from 8-bit to 16 bit. It's just a well-made game that tends to be very playable even for people who don't generally game much, which is what most of Nintendo's stuff does.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 6, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
ATTN UNITED STATES BROS: I originally was giving away my free Mario Kart 8 game on twitter, since I already owned all the ones I was interested in, but the person who got it says the code is region locked and couldn't redeem it. So to the first person to claim it, here is a US Pikmin 3 code.

A04Q-4BUU-0CEX-DSMY

Please let the thread know when you've claimed it.

Moldy Oreo
Jun 12, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

to the first person to claim it, here is a US Pikmin 3 code.

Please let the thread know when you've claimed it.
Did it. Thanks for that.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ugh if only my WiiU didn't need to update when I turned it on! :arghfist::saddowns:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

If they added a Link to the Past Link with pink hair costume for DLC I would buy it instantly.

ps was it ever explained why his hair was pink

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I'm having a get-together on Friday. I ordered a copy of Wii Party U and so with that I will have the gamepad, 2 regular wii motes, 1 wii mote plus, and 1 nunchuck. For optimal 4-player Wii Party U and Mario Kart fun, what else do I need?

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

dr.acula posted:

If they added a Link to the Past Link with pink hair costume for DLC I would buy it instantly.

ps was it ever explained why his hair was pink

Character pallette data for when he became a bunny in the dark world. He needed to be pink somewhere if he was to be a pink bunny.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Wierd, I wasnt aware that was a thing.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Gaffle posted:

Character pallette data for when he became a bunny in the dark world. He needed to be pink somewhere if he was to be a pink bunny.

Well of course it has to be a pink bunny!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Rosalind posted:

I'm having a get-together on Friday. I ordered a copy of Wii Party U and so with that I will have the gamepad, 2 regular wii motes, 1 wii mote plus, and 1 nunchuck. For optimal 4-player Wii Party U and Mario Kart fun, what else do I need?

Can't speak for Wii party u but for Mario Kart you're going to want nunchucks for each wiimote, for sure.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Rosalind posted:

For Mario Kart, technically that's all you need but I'd strongly recommend getting two more Nunchucks (especially seeing how they aren't exactly expensive), since playing it with the d-pad (or tilt control without a wheel) on the Wiimote, instead of a stick, kind of sucks. For Wii Party U, you'll probably need two Motion+ dongles for the two old-style Wiimotes.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Tender Bender posted:

I wonder if kids are really latching onto the series the way older generations did after playing LoZ, LTTP, or OOT. Or are young kids blown away by Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword?
I'm 20 now, but Twilight Princess was the first Zelda game I really played proper (I had some time with Link's Awakening when I was really little but never got anywhere with it). Twilight Princess was also the game that started to get me into the series. It's not my favorite (that's Majora's Mask), but it's also not my least favorite (Ocarina of Time). The puzzle-solving was solid, the atmosphere at night and in caves was lovely, Link felt very nice to control - and I wanted more. I'm not sure how many people were wooed into the series with Skyward Sword, but I know there are plenty of people out there who really like it, myself included, despite the game's issues and the loud backlash against it. A Link Between Worlds also really impressed me in a lot of ways.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

It's not my favorite (that's Majora's Mask), but it's also not my least favorite (Ocarina of Time).

post invalidated

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

post invalidated

But Majora's Mask owns?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

But Majora's Mask owns?

Yes it does but I can't understand oot being a least favorite next to mm being the best.... I still think oot was a better experience.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ethanol posted:

Yes it does but I can't understand oot being a least favorite next to mm being the best.... I still think oot was a better experience.

I dislike Ocarina of Time for a number of reasons. The overworld offers little sense of direction and you're more likely to wonder where you're supposed to go until Navi tells you. There's a large amount of unnecessary travel time and Link doesn't feel particularly satisfying to control. The dungeon design is, to someone like myself, rather weak, as it focuses a lot more on what I typically call "grab-bag" challenges, particularly the Fire Temple; there's little sense of focus or theme in terms of the challenges present. The Water Temple has a fantastic central mechanic, but it's marred by some really poor execution - particularly how the water level is adjusted and the iron boots as they appear in the original game (though I know this is improved in the remake), as well as the really stupid miniboss. The only dungeons I really strongly enjoyed were the Shadow and Spirit Temples, one of which has a strong set of ideas, and the other with a good execution of its varied challenges. However, I had to suffer through multiple stealth sections that were pointless and poorly conceived, lots of unnecessarily slow walking, and so much block-pushing. Ocarina of Time did plenty right, but a lot of what I don't like from it is right in my face. I don't really care for the music past the old favorites (such as Saria's Song or Epona's Song), though I respect the ability of the composers to create some very iconic music from those few tones. Visuals generally aren't very interesting except in some very particular areas. The only 3D Zelda with NPCs more bland (as a whole, anyway) would be Twilight Princess.

I really just don't like the game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I thought MM had some of the best 3d dungeons in the series. The swamp one was a typical "bland first dungeon", but the other three incorporated a central mechanic that required you to have an overall goal in mind while navigating the rooms, rather than just entering a room, solving its puzzle, and moving on to the next room. You had to think about the dungeon layout and figure out what you needed to do next. It was pretty well done and fit right in with some of the more challenging 2d dungeon designs.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yeah, I agree, though I actually really like Woodfall, too. The Deku Mask feel great to traverse the dungeon with, it does a great job of teaching the player about the interaction fire can have with objects, and I love how there are some rooms that contain both the first and second floor.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Outside of the really tedious Elegy of Emptiness bit you have to do right at the start Stone Tower Temple is probably my favourite Zelda dungeon.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Pink haired LttP Link is the best Link. :colbert:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Looks like Super Mario Kart got stealth released onto the US eShop today.

Too bad we didn't get it like Europe did for that Mario Kart promo, still though, glad it's finally out.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

ethanol posted:

OoT was the first 3D Zelda and it was just mind-blowing to me at the time. It just felt perfect in terms of making the jump to 3D while keeping the feel of the older games intact. I can certainly see how someone who started with latter 3D Zelda's would find it less impressive. It's one thing to understand intellectually it's place in the evolution of the series and it's another thing to you know have actual memories of playing it for the first time back when it was new and having actual nostalgia for that experience.

Also he did say it was his least favourite and not objectively the worst which is a distinction which is probably worth making before you go and get mad about Zelda on the internet. I personally haven't played it recently enough to have a strong opinion about how well it holds up.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Wind Waker had the best dungeon designs, with honorable mention to some from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mario Kart update and free DLC is coming to NA on 8/27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abOnJoz85UY

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This talk of Zelda is ruining my rose-tinted opinion of OoT, and making me realize that I haven't played half of the games in the series. I just started Skyward Sword for the first time. Based on the general public's opinion, I'm in for a "real treat."

I've not played more than the intro of Majora's Mask. I was a young teenager with no job when it came out, but a bit too old to be hitting my parents up for video games, so I never got it. I guess I'll just wait for the 3DS remake (psst they're making a 3DS remake)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I dislike both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I'm some sort of Zelda pariah, apparently.

Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda, especially the HD remake. Link Between Worlds is the best 2D Zelda.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I really want a gimmicky local multiplayer minigame collection. Should I go for Nintendoland, Game and Wario, or Wii Party U?

Sportsfeiends isn't coming out on this thing is it?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stan Taylor posted:

I really want a gimmicky local multiplayer minigame collection. Should I go for Nintendoland, Game and Wario, or Wii Party U?

Nintendoland is the best choice. Game & Wario is worth considering if you want to play multiplayer with 5 people using only the gamepad though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

OoT was the first 3D Zelda and it was just mind-blowing to me at the time. It just felt perfect in terms of making the jump to 3D while keeping the feel of the older games intact.

The feel of the older games intact? I think you mean stripped down, broken, barren, and made unfun, combined with terrible controls and a camera that made me want to shoot myself. It's my least favorite of all the Nintendo designed Zelda games

kalonZombie posted:

I dislike both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I'm some sort of Zelda pariah, apparently.

I'm with you.

kalonZombie posted:

Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda, especially the HD remake.

Maybe not since Wind Waker was about half a game padded out with watching Link slowly sail to the next place you needed to go. At least it was more fun to actually play the parts where you were playing a game instead of doing a repetitive task for fifteen minutes straight.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stan Taylor posted:

Nintendo Land. Game & Wario only has 2 multiplayer minigames worth a poo poo, and even still, they kind of require a full house of poo poo talking and laughter to really squeeze the fun out of them. Don't know enough about Wii Party U to comment, but with Mario Party 10 on the horizon, I'm just waiting for that.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The feel of the older games intact? I think you mean stripped down, broken, barren, and made unfun, combined with terrible controls and a camera that made me want to shoot myself. It's my least favorite of all the Nintendo designed Zelda games

You sound like you got some serious issues

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Link to the Past is obviously still the best Zelda game. :colbert:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

enojy posted:

Nintendo Land. Game & Wario only has 2 multiplayer minigames worth a poo poo, and even still, they kind of require a full house of poo poo talking and laughter to really squeeze the fun out of them. Don't know enough about Wii Party U to comment, but with Mario Party 10 on the horizon, I'm just waiting for that.

I already know Mario Party will be a disappointment for me. I want some crazy, asymmetrical multiplayer poo poo to spice up boardgame night, and it'll just be the same mini games as they always have been since the N64. Bumper balls is fun though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Starhawk64 posted:

Link to the Past is obviously still the best Zelda game. :colbert:

I'm sorry, but Goldeneye was the best Zelda games ever thank you very much.

Slur fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 6, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Stan Taylor posted:

Nintendo Land. Most fun with friends, most unique, strongest design, really appealing music and visuals, can actually be played for extended period of time in single player.

Random Stranger posted:

Yo dude I don't like Ocarina of Time but you have gotta' chill out

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 6, 2014

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Random Stranger posted:

Maybe not since Wind Waker was about half a game padded out with watching Link slowly sail to the next place you needed to go. At least it was more fun to actually play the parts where you were playing a game instead of doing a repetitive task for fifteen minutes straight.

No, it's the best one. The HD remake introduced the Swift sail, you can get all the way across the map in not long. There is the Ballad of Gales which acts as a teleporter to send you close to anything you wanted to visit and travel replaces loading time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there any particular reason to get Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge on the Wii-u as opposed to any other system?

• Locked thread