Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is there some weird ghosting(or whatever the term is) going on in dark area of this game? Trying to navigate at night is making me sick. Not sure if it's my tv or the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you'd essentially be punished for being good at stealth; suddenly all your opponents are standing together in a group, and most importantly, in that scenario, if you run out of ammo, you would be completely unable to progress, since sneaking up and/or melee attacks become impossible. So then you have to change all the combat design to reflect that. Now you're making ammo more plentiful, which changes the whole feel of the game. The whole reason the "let's spread out and find him" thing is in the game is because isolating enemies is the only way to make sure the player is able to get through any combat situation.

Fair point. Though I have a lil bottle with a rag in it that says "progress" in that situation as well.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Most of this can be summed up with naughty dog is bad at single player games with AI. See uncharted series as further proof.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

KidDynamite posted:

Is there some weird ghosting(or whatever the term is) going on in dark area of this game? Trying to navigate at night is making me sick. Not sure if it's my tv or the game.

It might be your TV. My TV is old and has bad grey uniformity so whenever there's spores or other smoke it makes everything really blurry.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I remember playing a mp match and running around when all of a sudden I got the points for getting a kill. Then I realized it was a bomb I had laid. It felt pretty good.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Squallege posted:

I remember playing a mp match and running around when all of a sudden I got the points for getting a kill. Then I realized it was a bomb I had laid. It felt pretty good.

Exactly. Other strategies with bombs are: you know how you're always crouched behind a vehicle or a wall or some poo poo and two assholes are going to run up and try to kill you? well drop a bomb right at your feet immediately and then go back to fighting because worst case scenario they down you and then when they run up to try and execute you they go boom and kill themselves. When you get really good at this you can actually trick them into walking around the object following you and blow them up that way.

Dropping bombs is the whole point of this multiplayer, is what I'm getting at.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've played this several times over and the scene where Joel gets impaled on the rebar still brings a gasp out of me. After Elle gets captured by David's... cult...and Joel basically goes terminator on everyone is so drat satisfying.

Re music: the score really is phenomenal. The video doc with interviews is a must watch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

new items and gestures released today.

info on release date of new weapons and maps coming soon.

VVVVVVVVVVVV DO IT rear end in a top hat

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 6, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

BUY MORE HATS

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok I'm officially in love with the multiplayer. So good. so brutal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Tide posted:

I've played this several times over and the scene where Joel gets impaled on the rebar still brings a gasp out of me. After Elle gets captured by David's... cult...and Joel basically goes terminator on everyone is so drat satisfying.

Yeah, I played through the last 1/4 tonight and felt the same way. Finished it up completely tonight and wow, what an amazing loving game. I don't know if a game will ever have that good of a story and/or presentation.

Now with Easy out of the way, bring on MP!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The game is more fun on Easy/Normal when you have a ton of ammo and crafting items.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

davecrazy posted:

The game is more fun on Easy/Normal when you have a ton of ammo and crafting items.

I disagree, with gusto.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Though Hard was a little too hairy, I loved that you can gently caress up an encounter and lose a bunch of health, ammo, and parts with no real way to load.

It's one of the game's biggest accomplishments in my mind.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

davecrazy posted:

I agree too. It was way too much fun to nuke everyone with molotovs in the end area of the game because holy poo poo, those things have a huge radius when you upgrade them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

I disagree, with gusto.

Me too, but normal is probably the best way to play the first time for the sake of pacing. I actually had way more trouble on normal than survivalist weirdly. probably because I've played it too much at this point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

It can take a while with so many veterans running around, but when it clicks there's nothing else like it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

second-hand smegma posted:

It can take a while with so many veterans running around, but when it clicks there's nothing else like it.

It's weird the way it sort of just clicks like a light switch. I played for a couple of hours the other night and it was pretty much what I remembered it being on PS3. Incredibly frustrating. Then after a couple of games this morning everything sort of just clicked and I've been doing well and having a blast playing. It's really unlike any other MP out there in that it actually lets you stealth real people as well as rewarding you for just running in like a maniac if you aren't too dumb about it. I think I was just too fixated on shooting behind cover when the game is most rewarding if you are being really versatile in your tactics.

The only thing that really sucks is that there are no modes that include infected. Like, what a huge missed opportunity. I want to believe that it could happen in some future DLC but I'm probably kidding myself. I can't wrap my brain around why they decided to omit that part of the game for the MP.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

The only thing that really sucks is that there are no modes that include infected. Like, what a huge missed opportunity. I want to believe that it could happen in some future DLC but I'm probably kidding myself. I can't wrap my brain around why they decided to omit that part of the game for the MP.

It would be pretty cool, but yeah, ND probably wants to move on to UC4 at this point. I'm just happy to have a fresh multiplayer port to keep me busy until 2015.

I've never triple-dipped a game before. This feels weird. I can stop whenever I want to...

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Been sat trying to find a mp game and it hasn't picked one up in like 20 minutes.

Anyone else had this?

I've tried all the different game modes, I'll give it a restart and see if that does anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^Matchmaking is not very good at the moment. Hopefully this changes soon.

second-hand smegma posted:

I've never triple-dipped a game before. This feels weird. I can stop whenever I want to...

If it makes you feel any better I've unintentionally spent more on TLOU than any other game I think. Rented it from Redbox and didn't like it, but convinced myself I'd finish it and didn't $25. Borrowed it from a friend and decided I loved it ($0) and bought an online pass $10. Decided I'd rather own it and bought a copy $50. Season pass $20. Remastered version $50. Jesus, what is wrong with me?

How did you triple dip though? there are only 2 versions of it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

davecrazy posted:

Definitely agree, at least early on. I played on hard initially and it was just frustrating because without the weapon sway upgrades shooting is no fun and stealth is weird because the enemy AI seems very inconsistent (I've had them just randomly turn around and start attacking me even when I was creeping up on them in listen mode). Playing on normal it's just a lot more enjoyable because everything matters less.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

NESguerilla posted:

I'm sure they talked about that being a limitation of the PS3 being unable to handle AI & multiplayer at the same time last year. I can't remember where...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Seedge posted:

I'm sure they talked about that being a limitation of the PS3 being unable to handle AI & multiplayer at the same time last year. I can't remember where...

Yeah, they also said they had a ton of trouble getting infected and survivors in the same area, which was why it was such a coup when they got it working in the DLC.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

As far as game balance goes it's probably for the best considering how easy the DLC was when you could play the infected and humans against one another. Would have been could, though.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

davecrazy posted:

I don't know it feels pretty great when you come out of a chaotic encounter in Survivor mode and your health bar looks like this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Silver Striker posted:

Playing on normal it's just a lot more enjoyable because everything matters less.

This make no sense to me, w/ regard to this game.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is the matchmaking broken today or something?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
The new patch 1.010.10 seems to have broken things more than it was beforehand, ala Dice.

However, what I've found to work is to back out and search again every minute if it hasn't found any players. After the 4-6th time It'l start to populate your lobby. Way quicker than just waiting.

Is anyone up for some multiplayer btw? Playing with pubbies is infuriating.

PSN: Hamburlgar

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
I know some others have been having issues with the matchmaking, but I haven't been able to play a single match since this came out. For people having issues, how long are you typically waiting to find matches? I've waited for upwards of 20 minutes with no success.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Rasta_Al posted:

I know some others have been having issues with the matchmaking, but I haven't been able to play a single match since this came out. For people having issues, how long are you typically waiting to find matches? I've waited for upwards of 20 minutes with no success.

Sometimes it happens instantly. Sometimes it can take 30+ minutes.

The key, like Hamburlgar said, is to back out and retry if it doesn't find you a match within a couple minutes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Have any you been playing with the Gold headset + TLOU preset? It's the best one so far and I can't stop using for every game. I'm not sure what they did but it sounds fantastic.

davecrazy posted:

Yeah, I have to agree. I don't care to be really low on ammo/supplies in any game, it takes the fun away for me. I might play on hard and beyond but for my PS3 playthrough and my current one normal feels right. I actually love the gunfights and all that so having a little extra help is nice.

NESguerilla posted:

There's so much they got right with it. It has been massively rewarding every time I get a little more used to how everything works. Some of the 1v1 fights are so intense that most games only wish they could get close to the same feeling. It's interesting how you don't die in like 1 shot but every death/kill feels really violent and sudden.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 6, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

How did you triple dip though? there are only 2 versions of it.

Day 1 copy last year ($60). Digital copy later on to save my disc drive some sweat($40), since I was playing Factions exclusively at that point. Season Pass.($20) Remastered.($50)

And I still wish I had paid more for the art book. My friend did on a whim and, even though I don't care about special editions or schwag, that is one beautiful piece of print.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm in the same boat.

£35 for the ps3 version
£15 for the season pass
£29 for the US version, but didn't work with the UK season pass
£43 retail disc

Yeah, not too happy about the season pass not crossing over but it is what it is :/

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!
Anyone else having issues connecting to multiplayer matches? Spent around 10 minutes waiting to find players, once it did it just got stuck on the loading screen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DLC is region locked. This is true for all games and regions.

fake edit: or it was on PS3, I can't imagine it isn't still the case on PS4

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Smarf posted:

Anyone else having issues connecting to multiplayer matches? Spent around 10 minutes waiting to find players, once it did it just got stuck on the loading screen.

Naughty Dog completely broke it with their newest patch. I imagine there will be a hot fix sometime today

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

DLC is region locked. This is true for all games and regions.

fake edit: or it was on PS3, I can't imagine it isn't still the case on PS4
Oh FFS. I've got a US copy on its way.

Fingers crossed I've got the only combination that works.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 6, 2014

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yup, DLC is still region locked. I found out the hard way. Ended up giving my US account details to a US buddy who hadn't bought the game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Does this game have scratch off codes im gonna miss if i buy it used?

• Locked thread