Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
TLOU was basically the best candidate for higher def re-release. It was close to the end of the PS3's cycle and even though it struggled on the hardware, it was still really really good and deserved to be shown off with better performance and better graphics to a bigger audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The PS4 isn't a bigger audience yet. Last of Us PS3 sold over 7 million copies.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It is a different audience though. Purely anecdotally I know more than a couple of people who have PS4s that never had PS3s.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CottonWolf posted:

It is a different audience though. Purely anecdotally I know more than a couple of people who have PS4s that never had PS3s.

Yeah, I can vouch that there were a ton of people who were 360 only last gen and were stoked to finally have a chance to see what all the fuss was about.

Personally I was just happy because my PS3 YLOD'd a few weeks back, and the two games I'd really miss are both getting PS4 remasters.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
I'm all for the remasters myself, even if I have played them previously on last gen - but I'm pretty much a 60fps whore, it makes a huge difference in gameplay for me, 1080/high res textures are nice as well but they come second. Remasters are especially apt this gen due not only to the complete lack of backwards compatibility, but especially so as there were a lot of games last gen that had ample screen tearing, lovely texture filtering, sub-30fps - a lot of great games were really hampered by the hardware.

Strong indications are the Mass Effect & Uncharted Trilogies are getting the treatment as well. Only issue really is price - for older trilogies I have no problem with pricing $40+, but when individual remasters (at least those that are basically res/fps upgrades) are beyond $30, I'll probably wait for a sale unless they were first-party titles I didn't play previously (such as LoU).

It's not like we're drowning in original titles for the next gen consoles regardless. Farm out the remasters to another team, have the original work on the next release.

On another topic; holy gently caress is Killzone:SF's campaign bloody awful. I have tried to slog through it but I doubt I'm halfway and don't think I reach that, it's one of the dullest FPS's I've ever played.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
I haven't really been a double-dipper before (although it will be like the 4th time I buy Grim Fandango when it comes out for consoles), but this generation it seems to be changing for sure.

Already bought The Last of Us Remastered, planning to get GTA V and possibly Diablo, since I skipped the expansion on PC. This seems like a good time to port stuff over - there still aren't nearly enough games on the new systems that quality ports of last gen games wouldn't feel relevant. The remaster craze needs to slow down in a year or so though. We need new and properly made current gen stuff too, not just games we've already played.

Also, this month's PS+ stuff for EU is up, if anyone hasn't noticed. Looking forward to trying Road Not Taken, despite the mixed reviews.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I see Fez is part of the August update too, I should check it out. I think Eurogamer even gave it GOTY at one point.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd pay 60 bucks for a remastered Mass Effect Trilogy.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'd pay 60 bucks for a remastered Mass Effect Trilogy.

If they fixed the inventory system in ME1, so would I.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Those games are going to look barren as gently caress if they don't put some effort into a remaster. It is kind of embarrassing how often they reuse assets, and how empty everything actually is - especially the first one.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
It would also make sense to do a remaster on new consoles since ME4 is going to be next-gen only. Then you could directly import a save (if they decide to have it affect anything in 4, anyway).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

abagofcheetos posted:

Those games are going to look barren as gently caress if they don't put some effort into a remaster. It is kind of embarrassing how often they reuse assets, and how empty everything actually is - especially the first one.

Can't wait to drive the Mako around a 10x10 mile heightmap in 1080p60

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
And then every side-quest building or ship you enter is exactly the same except for the placement of crates. Real fun!!!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I never noticed any of that and I played through Mass Effect 1 twice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did they ever oversell that feature! "A whole universe to explore!"

Still, IMO, it had the best atmosphere of the trilogy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Dedicate the extra power to Diana Allers breasts Bioware tia.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've been kinda spoiled by Destiny, so nothing else is really good enough, but should I take the lack of chatter regarding that standalone co op mode for Killzone coming out yesterday as a sign it is definitely not worth my time?

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Rinkles posted:

Still, IMO, it had the best atmosphere of the trilogy.

Agreed. It was the most faulty of the three, but I also enjoyed it the most by far.

FishBulb: I've only played it once, but I was still constantly wondering that how is it possible they have just 3-4 different set pieces for side missions...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean I think I might have noticed it on some level but not enough to be bothered by it.

I didn't mind the Mako stuff either. I'm the worst gamer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Along with some other stuff, the Mako stuff reminded me of Star Control 2 so it gave me joy-joy feelings. In retrospect it wasn't as much fun though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I also liked the Mako at the time but now I can get the same experience but better from Kerbal Space Program and I'd rather my AAA games be a little more curated.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Feenix posted:

I've been kinda spoiled by Destiny, so nothing else is really good enough, but should I take the lack of chatter regarding that standalone co op mode for Killzone coming out yesterday as a sign it is definitely not worth my time?

Still can't decide if I want to get this. I love love love the gunfights in K:SF and still have my disc so it would only be $10. With Destiny coming I don't know though. That's all the shooter I feel like I'll need for a long time.

vvvvvv GOD drat ANOTHER REMASTER IM GOING TO BUY WHYYY

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 6, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wei Shen motherfucker.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean I liked Sleeping Dogs but I dunno, I already bought it last gen and on PC. I just can't get excited about that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I have no desire to ever play Sleepin' Dawgs again, but goddammit, everyone should play SD once. It's a fantastic game, and it looked considerably better on PC than consoles, so I wouldn't worry about the graphical overhaul.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I mean I liked Sleeping Dogs but I dunno, I already bought it last gen and on PC. I just can't get excited about that.

I only got it through PS+, what I'm hoping is that they sell it for $40 or something.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Skeezy posted:

I only got it through PS+, what I'm hoping is that they sell it for $40 or something.

It's 60 bucks.

Hopefully this is an another one of those 'getting-our-engine-going-on-these-things-paving-the-road-for-a-proper-one' type things.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It's 60 bucks.

Hopefully this is an another one of those 'getting-our-engine-going-on-these-things-paving-the-road-for-a-proper-one' type things.

Oh well. I'll probably end up getting it anyways.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Awesome. I never played Sleeping Dogs.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I do kind of like that the answer to backwards compatibility this generation seems to be 'Remasters!' Also that the new consoles are apparently easy enough to develop for that making a remaster isn't a big deal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Awesome. I never played Sleeping Dogs.

Yeah this why I like these things. But I'll jump on after a few price drops.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Rinkles posted:

Yeah this why I like these things. But I'll jump on after a few price drops.

Yea it'll make for a good buy sometime in the summer. There's way too many games coming out that are on my list.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

I do kind of like that the answer to backwards compatibility this generation seems to be 'Remasters!' Also that the new consoles are apparently easy enough to develop for that making a remaster isn't a big deal.

Actually PS3 exclusives like TLOU are a total nightmare to remaster for PS4 since they were designed around such an enormously different architecture.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

If so, where the hell is my Dragon's Dogma remaster? That game ran like poo poo on the PS3. It seems like a prime candidate for it, but this IS Capcom we're talking about.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I loving hate you Sanders. :argh:

I really wish they would release that on the PC or something. I love that game but goddamn the frame rate is so rear end. You would think Capcom would love to remaster it and just call it Hyper Dragon Dogma HD Remastered edition or something but.. well.

Like you said. It's Capcom.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FishBulb posted:

I mean I think I might have noticed it on some level but not enough to be bothered by it.

I didn't mind the Mako stuff either. I'm the worst gamer.

I honestly didn't mind the Mako stuff that much either (and think ME1 is my favorite), but once you notice the reuse of assets you can't unsee it. Every building is either that one with the steps on the side to go up to the balcony or the one with the T intersection at the back, and every ship is a big box with two rooms and a cockpit in the front. Every mining area is exactly the same too.

Samurai Sanders posted:

If so, where the hell is my Dragon's Dogma remaster? That game ran like poo poo on the PS3. It seems like a prime candidate for it, but this IS Capcom we're talking about.

THIS is probably the only remake I would consider paying full price for. Well, other than GTA5 I guess (since I haven't played it).

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

We'll be lucky to get an RE4 port at this point.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I didn't mind the Mako stuff but combined with some specific plot stuff, ME2 ended being my favorite.

Dragon's Dogma would indeed make for a perfect remaster.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Equilibrium posted:

We'll be lucky to get an RE4 port at this point.

I'm pretty sure there will be a RE4 port on the PS4/Xbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

BreakAtmo posted:

Actually PS3 exclusives like TLOU are a total nightmare to remaster for PS4 since they were designed around such an enormously different architecture.

Yes, but all the big AAA multiplat games were on PC, which makes porting to next-gen relatively simple.

• Locked thread