Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sniders, Enfield muskets. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if somebody showed me a picture of a Brown Bess in some Afghan backwater (truly a redundant term), if it wasn't for the fact that the First British-Afghan War started in 1839 and the Land Pattern Musket finally went out of service the year before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Khyber Pass rifles are a thing, indeed, and not just for SMLEs.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sjurygg posted:

if it wasn't for the fact that the First British-Afghan War started in 1839 and the Land Pattern Musket finally went out of service the year before.

Even better! Lots of them for sale on the cheap!

And a few of the variants of the Brown Bess remained in official service up until the 1850s.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 5, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Leif. posted:

Khyber Pass rifles are a thing, indeed, and not just for SMLEs.

I gave my father-in-law a Khyber Pass 1860 pattern Enfield Tower musket for christmas about 3 or 4 years back that a deployed TFR goon helped me arrange. Hell of an interesting gun.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Cyrano4747 posted:

I gave my father-in-law a Khyber Pass 1860 pattern Enfield Tower musket for christmas about 3 or 4 years back that a deployed TFR goon helped me arrange. Hell of an interesting gun.

:catdrugs: You must like your father-in-law way more than I like mine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Leif. posted:

:catdrugs: You must like your father-in-law way more than I like mine.

Yeah, the two of us get along really, really well much to the chagrin of my wife.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Oh, and in other Cold War-related news, turns out the US is putting the serious back in forward storage of military equipment in Norway:

quote:

The American experiences of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq is the cause of the changes in the equipment, according to defense sources. According to the newspaper Adresseavisen.
The American ship USNS PFC Dewayne T. Williams is coming on August 10th to Namdalseid. The cargo includes heavy tanks of the type M1A1 Abrams, armored personnel carriers and armored landing crafts.
The equipment is more modern and heavier armored than what was previously stored in the middle of Norwegian mountain halls, the newspaper said.

Ahh, brings me back :allears:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Norwegian mountain halls sounds like

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Leif. posted:

Norwegian mountain halls sounds like

Or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIYT-MrVaI

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

"This video is not available in your country" What gives? Now I'm intrigued...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dark Helmut posted:

"This video is not available in your country" What gives? Now I'm intrigued...

You've almost certainly heard it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLp_Hh6DKWc

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Breaky posted:

You've almost certainly heard it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLp_Hh6DKWc

This version's cool too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhKe-Z-NhBs

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Without clicking I'm just going to guess that's In the Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yes.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I swear Joseph Kittinger was just everywhere. Every so often I just hear some other random spot that he was at. So he's best known for the former highest human freefall, he was the original Vomit Comet pilot, and also he apparently was the pilot of the spotter plane during John Stapp's(another crazy/badass guy) last manned rocket sled run where he went over 600mph.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...national-guard/

Not cold war per se but some nice photos of Oregon ANG F15's flying near forest fire pyrocumulus clouds. Could easily imagine this being a mushroom cloud instead or something. Neat shots either way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Breaky posted:

Not cold war per se but some nice photos of Oregon ANG F15's flying near forest fire pyrocumulus clouds. Could easily imagine this being a mushroom cloud instead or something. Neat shots either way.

Really cool.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/7/russian-bombers-penetrated-us-airspace-least-16-ti/

quote:

Russian strategic nuclear bombers conducted at least 16 incursions into northwestern U.S. air defense identification zones over the past 10 days, an unusually sharp increase in aerial penetrations, according to U.S. defense officials.

The numerous flight encounters by Tu-95 Russian Bear H bombers prompted the scrambling of U.S. jet fighters on several occasions, and come amid heightened U.S.-Russia tensions over Ukraine. Also, during one bomber incursion near Alaska, a Russian intelligence-gathering jet was detected along with the bombers.

Not much more to the article other than some pictures. Anecdotally I am hearing that the same thing is going on in the UK.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Breaky posted:

Not cold war per se but some nice photos of Oregon ANG F15's flying near forest fire pyrocumulus butts. Could easily imagine this being a mushroom butt instead or something. Neat shots either way.

This article reminded me that I had this extension installed and I was confused for a bit. Really pretty pictures though -- do they fly out of PDX?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

movax posted:

This article reminded me that I had this extension installed and I was confused for a bit. Really pretty pictures though -- do they fly out of PDX?

Can't get a good look at the tails on my phone, but probably either PDX or LMT (Kingsley Field at Klamath Falls).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Leif. posted:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/7/russian-bombers-penetrated-us-airspace-least-16-ti/

Not much more to the article other than some pictures. Anecdotally I am hearing that the same thing is going on in the UK.

Huh. That's a lot relative to what it had been the past 3-4 years.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Leif. posted:

It seems the reverse also happened, with a Russian fighter chasing a RC-135 in to Swedish airspace.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-spy-plane-brush-russian-military-crosses-sweden-215628349--abc-news-topstories.html

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 7, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Two differences:

The US jet didn't violate Soviet Russian airspace. Russia has crossed that invisible line on our side though.

The RC-135 is a well known ELINT platform flying in a straight line or maybe orbiting. Russia's games tend to use actual bombers, and sometimes they actually run the attack profile.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Godholio posted:

Two differences:

The US jet didn't violate Soviet Russian airspace. Russia has crossed that invisible line on our side though.

The RC-135 is a well known ELINT platform flying in a straight line or maybe orbiting. Russia's games tend to use actual bombers, and sometimes they actually run the attack profile.

Isn't is unlikely that an attack would come from bombers though, given that the airspace they're approaching isn't clear of fighters? I'd think ELINT is much more likely to be a precursor to an attack on Russia than, say, a B-52 would be.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vindolanda posted:

I'd think ELINT is much more likely to be a precursor to an attack on Russia than, say, a B-52 would be.

:psyduck:

Which comes first, the chicken unarmed EM sniffer, or the egg nuclear-capable strategic bomber?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Vindolanda posted:

Isn't is unlikely that an attack would come from bombers though, given that the airspace they're approaching isn't clear of fighters? I'd think ELINT is much more likely to be a precursor to an attack on Russia than, say, a B-52 would be.

It's not about an attack, it's about the message you're sending. Regularly sending up bombers who occasionally run an attack profile right up to the edge of a country's airspace sends a much more aggressive message than sending up goofy looking airliners that drone around in circles for a couple hours.

Everyone spies on everyone all the time, so it's not like us flying ELINT sorties somewhere is anything out of the ordinary or a precursor for anything.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

iyaayas01 posted:

goofy looking airliners that drone around in circles for a couple hours.

brb resubmitting 3-1 edits

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

:psyduck:

Which comes first, the chicken unarmed EM sniffer, or the egg nuclear-capable strategic bomber?

The submarine. It's not 1952 anymore, and until the F-35 is fully introduced, America can still stop a turboprop bomber.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Vindolanda posted:

The submarine. It's not 1952 anymore, and until the F-35 is fully introduced, America can still stop a turboprop bomber.

Sure, if your ACS system is completely functional :smug: (:smugputin:?)

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

movax posted:

Sure, if your ACS system is completely functional :smug: (:smugputin:?)

:smuggimir:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Propagandalf posted:

brb resubmitting 3-1 edits

lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I legit laughed at that.

Edit: To explain, AFTTP 3-1 is the Air Force bible for warfare and tactics. It's about 95% classified, but Attachment 1 is unclassified and contains all the radio codewords. Read up and find out what "bogey" REALLY means! AFTTP=Air Force Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 8, 2014

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy
It's also a shameless overwrought shining example of obscurant technobabble and obtuse corporatese written by pilots of the relevant ~*%THEATER WEAPONS SYSTEM%*~ to make them sound way more mission critical and un-defundable than they really are.

quote:

goofy looking airliners that drone around in circles for a couple hours
would condense the first 9 pages of the C-135 family 3-1s without losing any meaning whatseover.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well, yeah, probably a good 25% bloat, but for a service document that ain't bad.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Well, yeah, probably a good 25% bloat, but for a service document that ain't bad.

Also it seems like the number 1 use of 3-1 is for a senior pilot or C4I guy to tell the young buck pilots to shut the gently caress up because doin' summadat pilot poo poo won't save them from "x"

So it's better than a lot of stuff written for/by pilots.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

Also it seems like the number 1 use of 3-1 is for a senior pilot or C4I guy to tell the young buck pilots to shut the gently caress up because doin' summadat pilot poo poo won't save them from "x"

So it's better than a lot of stuff written for/by pilots.

When I was deployed I once told zippersuits they were wrong based on something in their 3-1.

One of the most satisfying days of deployment...I mean, it's not uncommon for mx to tell ops they're wrong based on something in the Dash 1 (especially in RPAs, where it seems like the average pilot is a blithering idiot), but for mx to tell ops they're wrong based on something in the 3-1 was a pretty big :smug: moment.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I drove past Dyess AFB twice in as many days and all I saw was a stinkin' Herc.

The other unit that lives there flies B-1s.

Similarly, I drive through Shreveport-Bossier quite often, and haven't seen a single BUFF or Warthog flying around since I got the DSLR and 300mm lens. Before I had a decent camera, or every time the person I ride with goes without me, they'd fly over almost close enough to touch on short final into Barksdale all the loving time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:ssh: They probably fly most of their training sorties around the same time each day.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

iyaayas01 posted:

When I was deployed I once told zippersuits they were wrong based on something in their 3-1.

One of the most satisfying days of deployment...I mean, it's not uncommon for mx to tell ops they're wrong based on something in the Dash 1 (especially in RPAs, where it seems like the average pilot is a blithering idiot), but for mx to tell ops they're wrong based on something in the 3-1 was a pretty big :smug: moment.
This sounds like it's probably an amusing story. Could I get a little context for us civilians? I have no idea what any of the bolded means, and I'm pretty sure that holds for most of the people here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Revolvyerom posted:

This sounds like it's probably an amusing story. Could I get a little context for us civilians? I have no idea what any of the bolded means, and I'm pretty sure that holds for most of the people here.

iyaayas01 posted:

3-1:

Godholio posted:

I legit laughed at that.

Edit: To explain, AFTTP 3-1 is the Air Force bible for warfare and tactics. It's about 95% classified, but Attachment 1 is unclassified and contains all the radio codewords. Read up and find out what "bogey" REALLY means! AFTTP=Air Force Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures.

Propagandalf posted:

It's also a shameless overwrought shining example of obscurant technobabble and obtuse corporatese written by pilots of the relevant ~*%THEATER WEAPONS SYSTEM%*~ to make them sound way more mission critical and un-defundable than they really are.

would condense the first 9 pages of the C-135 family 3-1s without losing any meaning whatseover.

mx: Maintenance

Dash 1: First hunk of the TO for an aircraft. The owner's manual, basically.

RPAs: Remotely Piloted Aircraft. Drones.

Basically RTFM: Airforce Edition.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 8, 2014