Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Tommychu posted:

It's one of the more common reasons, yes. Standard practice if the tires survive the skid is to air the outer down, break beads, spin the tire 180 on the wheel and air-up, since DOT (at least in Alberta) permits skidded tires to keep rolling as long as the skids aren't in the same spot. Since this is universally a vertical procedure (wheel still bolted to unit) it's the best route for everyone involved.
But there's a hundred other reasons trailer tires can be ridiculously noisy. Separations are pretty common, equally noisy and within a set of determined limits mostly safe and legal. Or about to explode, depending on the situation. Uneven treadwear can make gnarly sounds too.

running completely mis-matched tire sizes on the same axle leads to awesome tire skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I got to witness this today:

Wonder what he was fleeing from... Oh.

Yeah, u-turns don't really work in that corner.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Just had a clinic refuse to administer the random drug test I was selected to take. Called safety who had no idea what to do other then the fact I wasn't allowed to leave. They had to call the company's vice president of safety to figure out what to do.

Ended up having them write a statement that they refused to do the drug test and fax'd it. I only had the temporary paper license the dmv gives out here. Transferred my license on June 11th. They just mailed it on july 21st. What the gently caress? My temporary expires on the 9th. Honestly thought someone had stolen it from my mailbox while I was on the road during the week until they confirmed it hadn't even been mailed yet.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Shadokin posted:

Just had a clinic refuse to administer the random drug test I was selected to take. Called safety who had no idea what to do other then the fact I wasn't allowed to leave. They had to call the company's vice president of safety to figure out what to do.

Ended up having them write a statement that they refused to do the drug test and fax'd it. I only had the temporary paper license the dmv gives out here. Transferred my license on June 11th. They just mailed it on july 21st. What the gently caress? My temporary expires on the 9th. Honestly thought someone had stolen it from my mailbox while I was on the road during the week until they confirmed it hadn't even been mailed yet.

So did this get unfucked yet or are you stuck in la-la land?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Uhh so I meant to ask: why would a clinic refuse to give a drug test?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Uhh so I meant to ask: why would a clinic refuse to give a drug test?

My guess is no "valid" photo ID.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Secure yo poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBl9V6uvqg

Oh China :allears:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

HOLY poo poo! Are they right hand drive in China, or did the driver lose their head if they didn't duck down.. I know it was a panic reaction but sure didn't do themselves any favors stomping on the binders.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination Vehicles and Tanker tests passed on the first try. I am now permitted to reenact The Duel, as long as i have a licensed driver with me.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I love everything about that truck.

Honsy16
Mar 18, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination Vehicles and Tanker tests passed on the first try. I am now permitted to reenact The Duel, as long as i have a licensed driver with me.

Congratulations, but you would need hazmat to reenact The Duel. That truck clearly says "flammable" on the side of it. :colbert:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
No placard, that's just for show. :dukedog:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Back then, they didn't have CDLs or Hazmat.

Honsy16
Mar 18, 2009
A valid point that I completely forgot about. In that case, go hog wild and have fun terrorizing fourwheelers.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Honsy16 posted:

A valid point that I completely forgot about. In that case, go hog wild and have fun terrorizing fourwheelers.

And please make sure you hang gopros off your rig!

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

So did this get unfucked yet or are you stuck in la-la land?

Never got the drug test. People at my terminal were confused as hell. As of 11 am Monday my license still wasn't here yet. Will check again Saturday when we get home.

Go go california!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I love everything about that truck.

Even the beautifully shopped coal he's rollin? :allears:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

Even the beautifully shopped coal he's rollin? :allears:

http://youtu.be/5MtAMc4i8OA

Sure why not?

That's not the film truck anyway.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

My guess is no "valid" photo ID.

OK, next question, how was he pinged for a random before he even got a valid ID? He was still on the temp ID.

Shadokin, did you recently move, or did you just get the worst luck?

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

OK, next question, how was he pinged for a random before he even got a valid ID? He was still on the temp ID.

Shadokin, did you recently move, or did you just get the worst luck?

Yeah, I said in my post that I transferred my license in June. I am a random test magnate. I've worked for three companies and the first one I got hit twice, second one once and this was the third time with my current company.

I also must say that I've taken the general knowledge, air brakes, hazmat, doubles/triples, tankard and combination tests in georgia, ohio and now california and california was by far the hardest series I've done. I had a week of class time before I took them in ga, in ohio I didn't even study period (which in hindsight was not smart but I only missed two bullshit answers on hazmat) and for a few weeks before hand I'd spend a out 2 or 3 hours a week studying for the california tests. Unlike ohio and Georgia which do the tests on computer and you instantly know if you got it right or not, california has paper tests. So you can skip ahead and change your answer which is great until you get one that stumps you or makes you second guess because there's more then one right answer.

Also, when you transfer to california they make you take the regular california knowledge test too which completely caught me off guard. My wife said she told me but i completely blanked that out. Enough of it was general enough knowledge that i passed. I honestly was sweating the poo poo out of while i waited for them to be graded.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

When I started at swift and transferred my license from ID (where swift still has/had state examiners on staff) to OR, I warned them the temp license expired in a month and they should probably get me home right before that date so I could get the new one out of the mail. So of course they ran me all over until I couldn't get home in time, then grounded me in Utah for three days while I got my mom to mail the official license to the terminal.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I figured this might be the best place to ask. I've been unemployed way too long, I've got a business degree doing little for me and the field I'm most qualified in I hate. Unless I want to work in a call center there just isn't much work where I'm at. I keep reading about driver shortages and whatnot, I know the pay isn't optimal and hours are lovely but I'm thinking about trying to get a CDL and maybe making a career out of it?

What's the best way to go about getting training and a CDL? I read a lot of places will pay you for training and obtaining your license, but it looks like they want you to be their slave for at least a year. How much would adequate training cost if I paid for it myself?

I'm in Ohio, never been in an accident that was my fault and haven't had a speeding ticket in 10 years probably. I know how to drive manual transmission vehicles, but not semi's/tractors.

My thought process for considering this is as long as I can listen to music I don't mind driving at all. I'd prefer something with minimal phone time and enjoy working on my own.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Swift's training was like 4 grand. You can pay it off ahead of time if you want. Most companies would probably be similar.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I can't help you with the existential question of what you should do with your life, but I'm pretty sure Schneider's training facility (or at least one of them) used to be in Ohio, dunno if it's still there.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Please note that trucking is not as great as you seem to think but it's also far from the worst job you could spend money on training for, if you're willing to sink $4000 into training and walk away after a year because it doesn't work for you then give it a shot.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

nmfree posted:

I can't help you with the existential question of what you should do with your life, but I'm pretty sure Schneider's training facility (or at least one of them) used to be in Ohio, dunno if it's still there.

I went to the Schneider website and it directed me to a school that's about 15 minutes away, Napier Truck Driving School, so that's pretty great if I decide to do the training.

Javid posted:

Please note that trucking is not as great as you seem to think but it's also far from the worst job you could spend money on training for, if you're willing to sink $4000 into training and walk away after a year because it doesn't work for you then give it a shot.

I'm assuming it's probably not the greatest career, but hopefully somewhat better than working in a warehouse, factory or a call center. I do have concerns and maybe some of them might sound ignorant like am I going to become addicted to stimulants to keep me awake? Am I going to be pressured into going over the speed limit to get cargo delivered by a certain time? Am I going to have to buy a gun for protection? Being a new driver, am I going to get the shittiest routes into the worst parts of town?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

I going to become addicted to stimulants to keep me awake? Am I going to be pressured into going over the speed limit to get cargo delivered by a certain time? Am I going to have to buy a gun for protection? Being a new driver, am I going to get the shittiest routes into the worst parts of town?

no
sometimes
no (and if you do, enjoy dealing with 50 different sets of laws about it)
pretty much

They can't tell you to speed or cheat on the logbook, they'll just hand you jobs where you have to in order to get it done on time. You also can't (generally) refuse a load, but you can see where it's to without triggering it as being read on the computer, and then if it's to Compton or wherever you ignore it until they give up and assign it to someone else - this will not always work either but it helps.

If you really feel like you need a weapon (I never did but I also did the above for anything remotely sketchy) get a tire thumper. It's a baseball bat with "tire thumper" written on it.

If you can make it through a year or two your jobs will improve as you hopefully earn your manager's trust and a new crop of newbies come in to take the worst of it. After six months getting dicked around with terrible short multi-stop loads I started getting nicer long hauls which is where the money is. Or you just find a better company to upgrade to, get the amount of experience they want, and bail.

poo poo happens, you might not like it, but bailing on a career with ~$4000 in loan debt is still way better than going to law school and doing the same thing except with a hundred grand in debt.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

I figured this might be the best place to ask. I've been unemployed way too long, I've got a business degree doing little for me and the field I'm most qualified in I hate. Unless I want to work in a call center there just isn't much work where I'm at.

Some companies will hire you as a dispatcher because you have that degree.

Then again, it's like working in a call center....

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

Some companies will hire you as a dispatcher because you have that degree.

Then again, it's like working in a call center....
It's like working in a call center and the same guys keep calling in with the same problems over and over and they are coworkers so you can't hang up on them. I do not envy dispatchers because I know and am the idiots that call for help.

Now planners, those guys can go pound sand.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

I figured this might be the best place to ask. I've been unemployed way too long, I've got a business degree doing little for me and the field I'm most qualified in I hate. Unless I want to work in a call center there just isn't much work where I'm at. I keep reading about driver shortages and whatnot, I know the pay isn't optimal and hours are lovely but I'm thinking about trying to get a CDL and maybe making a career out of it?

What's the best way to go about getting training and a CDL? I read a lot of places will pay you for training and obtaining your license, but it looks like they want you to be their slave for at least a year. How much would adequate training cost if I paid for it myself?

I'm in Ohio, never been in an accident that was my fault and haven't had a speeding ticket in 10 years probably. I know how to drive manual transmission vehicles, but not semi's/tractors.

My thought process for considering this is as long as I can listen to music I don't mind driving at all. I'd prefer something with minimal phone time and enjoy working on my own.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated!

Before you go with any of the private schools, look to see if the county/area has a vo-tech school. Most of the places that do tend to have a CDL course too. Its an actual education with real amounts of wheel time vs turn and burn mill creating "drivers" who can pass a test. IIRC there was another goon in the old thread who I told the same thing, he came back to post that it was the best training/entry into the job he had.

edit: did some digging.

close to you based on the location of the other school
http://www.sscc.edu/truckdriving/

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 11, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What, you don't wanna go to a swift school where the state testers are literally swift employees paid by the issued license?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Efficiency is obviously a "core value" at Swift. :smugbert:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I was lucky to get my CDL through my college, the campus transit system hired college students with no experience and trained 'em up for their CDL test. I suppose they found it was cheaper to hire college kids at just-above minimum wage with no benefits and eat the inevitable fender benders vs. paying union wages and benefits for adults. It was only a Class B that I had, but it was still useful for the tour buses, box trucks, cherry pickers, & cement mixers I'd eventually end up driving for compensation. Most people can't say they went to college to be a bus driver, so there's that.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I'll do you one better: I went to my community college (jr college) which offered a trucking program. 5 weeks with lots of real behind the wheel time and then 1 week of "ok this is how you pass the dmv test". Got a class A with tanker, hazmat, and doubles… and then became a tour bus driver right after I graduated. :doh:

(Tour company paid for me to take dmv drive again so I could get the passenger endorsement)

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Can someone explain to me why people on motorcycles think it's a great idea to cut me off on a downgrade and brake check me? I know it's summertime and idiots are out everywhere, but I'm getting tired of it. One of these pricks had that middle finger sticker on their helmet so I counted all the fucks I had laying around, found the number was zero and played the song of my people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-RPPsg_ks

From the way he had that "holy gently caress what was that!" wiggle I don't think that idiot had any idea I was loving there. Made me laugh anyway.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
About to go out shifting for the first time.

On public roads, in the rain, bobtailing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Doriftu.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Javid posted:

Doriftu.

No power slides, sadly :/

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

No power slides, sadly :/

Kinda surprised you didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Kinda surprised you didn't.

So was i. Especially since i kept goosing the accelerator after shifting, like i was driving my four cylinder wrangler.

• Locked thread