Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sagebrush posted:

I apparently do have quite an impact on this place, I'll give you that

Impact like a Senator filibustering a civil rights bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Yellow 'Night Driving' lenses have been shown to provide no benefit in seeing ability at night. They are even hazardous, because they give the driver a feeling of seeing better, which no one has yet been able to explain. Studies have shown that they actually impair visual performance and retard glare recovery. – "Forensic Aspects of Vision and Highway Safety", Merrill J. Allen, O.D., Ph.D., Et al. 1996

EDIT:

Minkee posted:

Is it true that gold face shields help you see better at night?

VVVVVVVVV - This was the original question.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 5, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't think anyone recommended they be used at night, and I certainly wouldn't either! You need all the light you can get in that situation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10701805

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My friend got a pretty basic shark helmet for his first a little while ago. Unlike every other shark I've seen, it came with a pinlock pre-installed instead of the usual double-glazed anti fog visor thingy. The actual pinlock insert is yellow. I've been wondering if I should encourage him to get a clear one or not, I don't really understand the purpose of a yellow pinlock?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
The Motorcyclist helmet test referenced above is a little long in the tooth, but iirc, when the dust settled, they favored a Z1R and a Pep Boys helmet, both sub-$100 Chinese poo poo boxes.

Perspective: The one hidden redeeming quality about this debate is that it assumes helmets are being worn. That speaks volumes about how evolved you are as motorcyclists.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Slavvy posted:

My friend got a pretty basic shark helmet for his first a little while ago. Unlike every other shark I've seen, it came with a pinlock pre-installed instead of the usual double-glazed anti fog visor thingy. The actual pinlock insert is yellow. I've been wondering if I should encourage him to get a clear one or not, I don't really understand the purpose of a yellow pinlock?

Yellow increases perceived contrast during daylight conditions, per the NIH link I posted. Are you sure it's yellow though? New Pinlock inserts with the backing still on them have a yellow tinge even though they're fully clear when installed.

edit: Oh, it's pre-installed, so that wouldn't be an issue. Weird.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I don't know what the deal is. I tried the helmet on and it seemed ok, I could see just fine, so I guess it's ok.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
In black and white photography, you can use a yellow filter to cut out the ultraviolet light that makes things in the distance appear kind of hazy, increasing apparent contrast.

VVV Presumably it has the same contrast-enhancing effects but with a yellow tint. I dunno, gun nuts have been wearing yellow glasses forever to try and improve their aim -- there must be something to it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 5, 2014

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Sagebrush posted:

In black and white photography, you can use a yellow filter to cut out the ultraviolet light that makes things in the distance appear kind of hazy, increasing apparent contrast.

So you're saying it works great if you're colorblind?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Sagebrush posted:

STOP loving SPOUTING OFF poo poo YOU GOOGLED GOD drat IT THIS IS MY FORUM AND YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TAKING PICTURES NEARLY AS LONG AS ME.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Baller Witness Bro posted:

STOP loving SPOUTING OFF poo poo YOU GOOGLED GOD drat IT THIS IS MY FORUM AND YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TAKING PICTURES NEARLY AS LONG AS ME.

The funny thing is that his post was exactly the kind of tangentially-related-to-topic aspergic posting I was referencing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think pretty much all visors have UVA/UVB protection so that shouldn't be a concern regardless of tint. I can't imagine that wearing any sort of lense that reduces VLT would help night vision. I definitely know whether or not it helps you take more artful B&W selfies at night isn't real relevant to the conversation.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tinted visors erryday so you can stare at booties on the sidewalk at red lights

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

hot sauce posted:

Just stare anyways. You're on a motorcycle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you're not on a motorcycle, just leer.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Two people that I know have mentioned Daft Punk to me in relation to my helmet with its tinted visor. I love it because I don't have to jam sunglasses in my face when I ride, but I like it because nobody knows where I'm looking. I'm like the secret service. Or Beatrix Kiddo, staring into a 300ZX before zooming off through a red light in a bright yellow onesie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hot sauce posted:

:hfive:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Kilersquirrel posted:

Blocky-headed German family stock here, my cheekbones feel like they're in a vise or the upper part of my temples do with all the Shoei and Arai helmets I've ever tried on. They seem to have forgotten some of us have noses, too. Thus far the Scorpions have fit my humongous square melon the best but I'm incredibly bitter abouta little jealous of your ability to fit into helmets that are both protective and extra-lightweight. The weight isn't terrible on my Scorpion but I have to ride straight west to get home, more often than not that means riding into ~20mph headwinds. On one hand it really strengthens up your neck muscles, on the other it can get obnoxious after a few miles of having to consciously tilt your head just right to keep it from getting wobbled around.

More seriously, anybody on the modular helmet question?

That's weird because Shoei and Arai are traditionally supposed to be pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum (Shoei longer, Arai wider). I think the problem is you've got a giant mutant nut. Did your mother perhaps give birth in a standing position?

(You might want to try an AGV because although they're somewhere between the two, their helmets do seem to be somewhat roomier in front of the face than other brands)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Pull off the yellow protection foil. No need to thank me.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

The Motorcyclist helmet test referenced above is a little long in the tooth, but iirc, when the dust settled, they favored a Z1R and a Pep Boys helmet, both sub-$100 Chinese poo poo boxes.

Perspective: The one hidden redeeming quality about this debate is that it assumes helmets are being worn. That speaks volumes about how evolved you are as motorcyclists.

I think the reality is that most people don't have inexhaustible resources when choosing motorcycle gear. If paying $500 for a helmet means you can't afford an armored jacket, globes, pants, and boots... then buy the drat cheap DOT/SNELL whatever the gently caress so that you can afford to protect the other parts of your body that will be damaged when you crash. I am not proud of my crash scars...

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's weird because Shoei and Arai are traditionally supposed to be pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum (Shoei longer, Arai wider). I think the problem is you've got a giant mutant nut. Did your mother perhaps give birth in a standing position?

(You might want to try an AGV because although they're somewhere between the two, their helmets do seem to be somewhat roomier in front of the face than other brands)

I did actually cork her on the way out, they had to do an emergency(as in "cut her open right-the-gently caress-now, hurry up" emergency) c-section to get me out. So you're probably close to the truth.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Ok so even after an oil change, my grippy/squeely clutch is still there on cold starts. It goes away once the engine is warm (5 mins of riding in the winter). The bike has now done 3000km since I got it and the problem hasn't improved or worsened. It doesn't impede my riding, doesn't seem dangerous, and is more annoying than anything. I've adjusted the clutch lever for more play (was worried it wasn't fully engaging) but that hasn't stopped the problem. Should I get someone to have a look at the clutch? Or have a peek myself? Or just monitor it and do something if it gets worse? 2012 CBR250 btw.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I second this, I've got a giant noggin and AGV seemed to fit me the best (though my chin just about touches the front part of the helmet).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Barnsy posted:

Ok so even after an oil change, my grippy/squeely clutch is still there on cold starts. It goes away once the engine is warm (5 mins of riding in the winter). The bike has now done 3000km since I got it and the problem hasn't improved or worsened. It doesn't impede my riding, doesn't seem dangerous, and is more annoying than anything. I've adjusted the clutch lever for more play (was worried it wasn't fully engaging) but that hasn't stopped the problem. Should I get someone to have a look at the clutch? Or have a peek myself? Or just monitor it and do something if it gets worse? 2012 CBR250 btw.

What weight oil?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

M42 posted:

What weight oil?

Recommended Honda GN4 10w-30. I live in Sydney btw. Maybe I need to go to a thinner oil?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
No, there's something wrong with the clutch. It's better to solve that problem than to cover it up by changing something else. Stick with the recommended oil.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

No, there's something wrong with the clutch. It's better to solve that problem than to cover it up by changing something else. Stick with the recommended oil.

Should I try and have a look at the clutch then? I've got a bike stand and I think I have most of the necessary tools (except maybe a torque wrench, which I should probably get anyway). How difficult it to do? My understanding is I just have to remove the clutch panel and take the clutch plate screws out in a criss-cross pattern. Removing the oil first is also a must?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Usually there are two places to do adjustments: 1: At the clutch lever 2: Near the clutch actuator near the clutch cover. My KZ1000P had a sticky clutch that went away once I made an adjustment at the clutch cover.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Crayvex posted:

Usually there are two places to do adjustments: 1: At the clutch lever 2: Near the clutch actuator near the clutch cover. My KZ1000P had a sticky clutch that went away once I made an adjustment at the clutch cover.

The issue is the clutch works fine from what I can tell, aside from the annoying squeek. Also seems a bit 'grabby' when it squeeks (when letting go of the clutch lever it seems to grip more than normal). Like I said, problem disappears after a good 5 minute ride.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Barnsy posted:

The issue is the clutch works fine from what I can tell, aside from the annoying squeek. Also seems a bit 'grabby' when it squeeks (when letting go of the clutch lever it seems to grip more than normal). Like I said, problem disappears after a good 5 minute ride.

check and make sure you have the correct number of fiber to steel rings in the correct order? One of my buddies redid their clutch and stuck two steel rings together on accident, same type of result. They'd make a bunch of noise until they were splashed with a bunch of hot oil.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
So I'm waiting at the lights after splitting to the front and I see the car next to me start creeping forward into my view. I look over and see he's rolling down his window, I'm thinking he's about to call me a wanker or something. "Oi mate, you've got a nail in your tyre".

Motherfucker.

It seems to be holding air for now, but what should I do? I'm not sure if they're tubeless or not. My wheels do say "Suitable for tubeless tyres" but that doesn't necessarily mean that I am running tubeless. Can I find out in a way which isn't "Pull it out and if it deflates you know you're tubeless". Can I plug it when a repair kit or am I going to need a new tyre? This one still has plenty to go. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Patch or plug. I prefer patches but others like plugs just fine.

If you're not running a spoke rim chances are it's tubeless.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Apologies if this is something that's asked frequently, but how much trouble is maintaining a 70-80's Japanese bike? I appreciate that it's a very vague question, but let's assume I find something that's currently in decent running shape with sub 30,000km on it. I've got some riding experience, but I'm not much good with vehicle mechanics. Some babying and tuning I can certainly deal with, but ultimately I'd really like something reliable.

Tough question without specifics, but I'm mostly looking for some general thoughts and cautions.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Painting with broad strokes, bikes have come a long way since then. You'll always be fiddling with something on a bike of that vintage.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been daily riding an 80's Japanese bike for the last few years/65k miles. Mine is an air cooled Suzuki so it's one of the more bulletproof ones but it still does require tinkering every weekend.

All bikes do though which isn't the main issue which is usually catching up on 20 odd years of deferred maintenance.

If you don't mind fixing PO fuckery, hunting for obsolete parts and tinkering with stuff always along with having crappy brakes and handling (compared to '90+ year bikes) it's certainly doable.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I just got back from being overseas for a couple of years (30 months, total), and got my scooter out of storage. I had someone who was supposed to be riding it and such while I was gone, so I didn't storage prep it...but it turns out it wasn't ridden a single time in that period.

The battery is as dead as it can possibly be...I'm attempting to charge it now, but I was wondering if there's anything I need to do before I try to crank it to make sure the engine doesn't explode or anything.

It's a 2008 Zuma two-stroke, if that makes a difference.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Replace the battery. Drain the gas. Add new gas / oil mixture. Try to start. If it doesn't start, or if it runs like poo poo, clean the carb.

Maybe consider replacing the tires if they're dry rotting / flat spotted (depends on how the bike was stored).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Replace the battery. Drain the gas. Add new gas / oil mixture. Try to start. If it doesn't start, or if it runs like poo poo, clean the carb.

Maybe consider replacing the tires if they're dry rotting / flat spotted (depends on how the bike was stored).

The tires look good. I did a pretty through visual inspection on it, and I plan on checking out the v-belt before I really take it anywhere. Thanks for the advice...I was convinced I was going to have to take the engine apart or something.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

On average what is the length of time after storage when a carb should be taken apart and cleaned? We had a long winter last year and I hadn't started my bike for 4.5 months. I thought I was going to have to clean it, but letting it run for 15-20 minutes seemed to do the trick and it's been fine since then. It probably needs a cleaning but I don't really want to waste the time since it seems to be running great for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

So I've decided to take a week off next week before I murder everyone in my office. I want to get out of Tampa and find some nice roads. Not sure I want to ride all the way to Deals Gap. Anyone know of some good routes in GA I can check out next week?