Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
more promotional stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hpAGUv3K2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just an FYI to other goons: unless you want to hear how Geralt's VA sounds when he's talking normally or were unfamiliar with the concept of Comic-Con and The Simpsons cosplays, there's nothing of worth in that video.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Just an FYI to other goons: unless you want to hear how Geralt's VA sounds when he's talking normally or were unfamiliar with the concept of Comic-Con and The Simpsons cosplays, there's nothing of worth in that video.

I didn't even finish watching it because it made me mad I was crunching in Warsaw while they were in San Diego.

EDIT: I'll do a better job of filtering the chaff next time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
:smith: If it's any consolation, you didn't have to pose in a Triss costume.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

:smith: If it's any consolation, you didn't have to pose in a Triss costume.

My original username was The Bear Princess, we are internet-name-buddies.

I only have to pose in the Triss costume if I break the build.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

My original username was The Bear Princess, we are internet-name-buddies.

I only have to pose in the Triss costume if I break the build.

As long as they dont make you pose in a Triss costume for being a shill.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Trying to get through the Witcher series in preparation for W3 next year, which looks pretty fun. Having some real trouble getting into W1 though. I'm into Act 2 and feel like I'm just running in circles, trying to get people to talk to me who don't want to talk to me and being told all the areas I can't go to. I'd like to get at least one playthrough done, if for no other reason than I bought it so I want to try to give it a go.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I really didn't like the Witcher 1. I eventually beat it; while missing probably like a third of the content because I put it on too high of a difficulty expecting the gameplay to be enjoyable. And upon finding it totally wasn't just pushed through as fast as I could skipping as much fighting as possible.

I don't recall having trouble finding people to talk to though. You could always just grab a walkthrough to at least get the proper directions eg. a map with all the quest givers. Like: http://www.gamebanshee.com/thewitcher/walkthrough/overview-1.php

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah the Witcher 1 is pretty rough around the edges. Just try not to rush through it is the best advice I can give to you to be honest. I feel like the game gets better the further you get in though so just stick at it.

(Also do all of the trophy quests and don't ever throw away any sort of animal fangs for a few important quests at the end of the game, also savescum dice poker for Oren's if you wanna be rich)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I tried playing Witcher 1 twice (once on release, once with the extended edition) and both times I gave up in Act 2 somewhere in the swamps. I never went back to it a third time but I loved Witcher 2 to bits.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The problem is that the plot is all over the place. This is somewhat true for the second game too, but it is much easier to follow (it is also shorter).

Still, it gets better at chapter 3 because the main Salamander plot will be in the focus through the whole chapter (then it loses focus again).
Or maybe it was just me being happy to see something new for a change because I quit at chapter 2 before as well.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Minus a pretty well done twist, I don't think the plot of the first game even compares to the plot of the second, really.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

That sword is for monsters Geraltbro.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Just finished a second playthrough and man, when you don't save Triss Loc Muinne gets gruesome :stare:

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention but I still don't really know know what happened at the end the first time I played. When you don't save Triss the entire mage population seems to get the blame for the sorceresses' conspiracy, leading to burning at the stake and gigantic corpse piles. When you do save her the mages seemed to go nuts and evict everyone else from Loc Muinne and put a bunch of vines everywhere...? It's the one thing that didn't become any clearer second time I played. Could someone quickly sum up what happened there?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I preordered this game in 2011 and I finally played it to completion yesterday. :v: Still feel I got my money's worth. I remember paying sixty euros for it, but I got two GOG.com vouchers and the dev's support has been incredible, getting the EE for free etc.

Whoever said Iorveth's path makes the plot more sensible, thank you, because I think I got the most out of the story that way. However I couldn't resist loading up and going back to the point of divergence immediately after finishing just to see the other side.

My high moment in the game was fighting on the walls of Vergen and the game actually letting you Aard enemies off the wall and into their deaths. So in that sense Iorveth's path was also the right choice.

My only regret is that I can't wait for the third game now.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

2house2fly posted:

Just finished a second playthrough and man, when you don't save Triss Loc Muinne gets gruesome :stare:

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention but I still don't really know know what happened at the end the first time I played. When you don't save Triss the entire mage population seems to get the blame for the sorceresses' conspiracy, leading to burning at the stake and gigantic corpse piles. When you do save her the mages seemed to go nuts and evict everyone else from Loc Muinne and put a bunch of vines everywhere...? It's the one thing that didn't become any clearer second time I played. Could someone quickly sum up what happened there?

Loc Muinne was always going to be the headquarters of the new Council and Conclave. They evict everyone fairly sternly because the royal parties were nothing but trouble, but that was always going to happen after the meetings were over. No one came there intending to stay but the Mages.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I just started the second game, finished the prologue and landed in Flotsam. How the heck do I get not terrible at combat?

I don't mean buffing and the like, I don't feel like I'm lacking the raw stats. It's just that whenever I face someone who knows how to block I have literally no idea what to do. This is especially a problem in groups because I can't parry them and attack three times cue repeat. I can use magic on them but the fireball does piss poor damage and Aard staggers them but also pushes them away. Am I missing something obvious here?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Iron Rose posted:

So I just started the second game, finished the prologue and landed in Flotsam. How the heck do I get not terrible at combat?

I don't mean buffing and the like, I don't feel like I'm lacking the raw stats. It's just that whenever I face someone who knows how to block I have literally no idea what to do. This is especially a problem in groups because I can't parry them and attack three times cue repeat. I can use magic on them but the fireball does piss poor damage and Aard staggers them but also pushes them away. Am I missing something obvious here?

Level 1 Igni is worthless. Igni is not useful unless you spec it up to Level 3.
Aard is good. Going towards enemy that's a bit of distance from you and using quick strike often results in a leaping attack, you should be able to kill them while they're getting up.
Also, bombs, bombs, bombs.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Never parry, always dodge. Basically get close enough so that the enemy will start their attack animation, then dodge twice to get behind them and backstab with a strong slice once or twice. Repeat. When facing multiple enemies, dodge "circles" around them until none of them are in position to block or counter attack while you backstab one of them. And yeah, bombs are amazing. Cedrick sells the grapeshot bomb recipe just outside Floatsam. They're great and made from common ingredients. When facing a horde, always thin them out with bombs. Or magic I guess, if you're going that route.

Maybe parrying works too, I don't know, but the above is how I beat the game on insane.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Try Rolling

You have to be kind of cheap at the start until you start getting some talents to toughen you up. Just be careful, drink potions, and oil up your sword.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Suspicious posted:

Never parry, always dodge. Basically get close enough so that the enemy will start their attack animation, then dodge twice to get behind them and backstab with a strong slice once or twice. Repeat. When facing multiple enemies, dodge "circles" around them until none of them are in position to block or counter attack while you backstab one of them. And yeah, bombs are amazing. Cedrick sells the grapeshot bomb recipe just outside Floatsam. They're great and made from common ingredients. When facing a horde, always thin them out with bombs. Or magic I guess, if you're going that route.

Maybe parrying works too, I don't know, but the above is how I beat the game on insane.

Parrying +rolling when you're good at the game and really used to enemies attacking animations and how Geralt moves is better than straight up rolling all the time, but rolling all the time is better than relying on parry when you're totally new.

Also use every tool in your arsenal, basically. Always be on potions, always poison your sword, always use bombs or daggers, and when fighting more than two dude use aard and yrden liberally.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Parry is good if you have the Riposte skill, perfect against shield users who are really annoying to deal with, otherwise use Aard and Yrden against them, then stab them in the back.

It gets easier later on, but if you play like me you'll be having a lot of "fun" with a certain boss.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just find Riposting to be always inferior to Aard, Yrden and bombs.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

I just find Riposting to be always inferior to Aard, Yrden and bombs.

Why not use all four?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Why not use all four?

What I mean to say is that there never seems to me to be a particular situation where I'd use Riposte that I don't think Aard, Yrden or a bomb would work much better.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess it really depends on where you've put your talents. If you put points into the sword tree parrying costs no vigor and each riposte has a chance of just insta-killing a dude, where as all aard or yrden can do is set up someone for a kill.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Having riposte is super useful in The Eternal Battle.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

^^^That is of course true.

I've done a character spec'd entirely in the sword tree, and I still thought unspec'd Aard, Yrden and bombs were more effective than riposting.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 6, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Wiseblood posted:

Having riposte is super useful in The Eternal Battle.

I take riposte on every character for this exact reason.

Lycus posted:

I've done a character spec'd entirely in the sword tree, and I still thought unspec'd Aard, Yrden and bombs were more effective than riposting.

Riposte isn't something I rely on to the extent I do those but it can make clearing out a group faster if used occasionally in combination with those others.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Is riposte even necessary for the Eternal Battle? I mean sure on Dark mode and maybe insane to be on the safe side, but I just did it a few days ago on hard with the only sword related upgrade being parry from all direction and it was more or less a cakewalk. I died once to the big group of guys but it seemed like I could just parry stab all day long.

On a related note anyone know if mutagens transfer over to the eternal battle segments?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I've also done it on Hard with just 1-point parrying. I wouldn't say it's necessary, just that it makes it easier. Really, the wall of fire is the worst thing about the fight. If not for that, it would be a lot easier no matter what.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Doug Cockle is the man, apparently.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Doug Cockle posted:

Dijkstra...I think you're quite...cute

That was glorious.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
pre-screened and confirmed cool enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUamHfdoSyc

edit: I don't think there's any new gameplay footage but I *think* this is the first confirmation of the three big open world environments we have.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 12, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

God I love the Witcher leitmotif you hear at the end of that trailer. Along with everyone else the CDProjekt Red music devs are incredibly talented.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
The music in the Witcher 1 is one of the few video game soundtracks I will regularly go back and listen to. It was mostly this combined with the incredible environmental art direction that made it such a great experience for me, despite all of its other flaws. It may sound odd, but I'm a sucker for well designed environments and the Witcher games seem to nail it every time.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuPEam_Jt4I

Some more gameplay footage, all new, I think. It's new to me. Includes the appearance of the werewolf and water hag, both of which I don't think have been shown before except for tiny scenes in the big trailer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sackmo posted:

The music in the Witcher 1 is one of the few video game soundtracks I will regularly go back and listen to. It was mostly this combined with the incredible environmental art direction that made it such a great experience for me, despite all of its other flaws. It may sound odd, but I'm a sucker for well designed environments and the Witcher games seem to nail it every time.

Witcher 1 probably has a better overall soundtrack, but the Vergen theme in 2 is one of my favourite songs from any soundtrack over like the past decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_jizNCiInw

Rarely have I heard a piece of music that conveys the thematics and atmosphere of a fictional setting so well. This song alone tells you everything you need to know about dwarven society in The Witcher, and it does it completely without aping Lord of the Rings like Dragon Age did.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Gameplay footage looks amazing, especially for a console version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
A Witcher 2 question: I'm gonna start my second playthrough and am wondering which crafting materials I should keep.
On my first playthrough, I stashed absoltuely everything and had something like 10,000 orens worth of materials in the chest that I never used in the end.
So, what materials should I keep for crafting/which items should I consider crafting? (crafting only, I'll probably keep all the reagents for potions and bombs around).
Oh and this playthrough will be Dark Mode so I'll need those sets.

• Locked thread